From: pandora@knoware.nl (Pandora)
Subject: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 15:32:02 +0200
 by: Pandora - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 13:32 UTC

The axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae

Abstract

The axial columns of the earliest limbed vertebrates show distinct
patterns of regionalization as compared to early tetrapodomorphs.
Included among their novel features are sacral ribs, which provide
linkage between the vertebral column and pelvis, contributing to body
support and propulsion by the hindlimb. Data on the axial skeletons of
the closest relatives of limbed vertebrates are sparce, with key
features of specimens potentially covered by matrix. Therefore, it is
unclear in what sequence and under what functional context
specializations in the axial skeletons of tetrapods arose. Here, we
describe the axial skeleton of the elpistostegalian Tiktaalik roseae and
show that transformations to the axial column for head mobility, body
support, and pelvic fin buttressing evolved in finned vertebrates prior
to the origin of limbs. No atlas–axis complex is observed; however, an
independent basioccipital–exoccipital complex suggests increased
mobility at the occipital vertebral junction. While the construction of
vertebrae in Tiktaalik is similar to early tetrapodomorphs, its ribs
possess a specialized sacral domain. Sacral ribs are expanded and
ventrally curved, indicating likely attachment to the expanded iliac
blade of the pelvis by ligamentous connection. Thus, the origin of novel
rib types preceded major alterations to trunk vertebrae, and linkage
between pelvic fins and axial column preceded the origin of limbs. These
data reveal an unexpected combination of post-cranial skeletal
characters, informing hypotheses of body posture and movement in the
closest relatives of limbed vertebrates.

Open access:
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2316106121

Re: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae

<2b8f4d87-9607-4d09-98ed-3765b3d2cd69@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6521&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6521

Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 07:01:47 -0700
Subject: Re: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@googlegroups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Thu, 4 Apr 2024 14:01 UTC

On 4/4/24 6:32 AM, Pandora wrote:
> The axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae
>
> Abstract
>
> The axial columns of the earliest limbed vertebrates show distinct
> patterns of regionalization as compared to early tetrapodomorphs.
> Included among their novel features are sacral ribs, which provide
> linkage between the vertebral column and pelvis, contributing to body
> support and propulsion by the hindlimb. Data on the axial skeletons of
> the closest relatives of limbed vertebrates are sparce, with key
> features of specimens potentially covered by matrix. Therefore, it is
> unclear in what sequence and under what functional context
> specializations in the axial skeletons of tetrapods arose. Here, we
> describe the axial skeleton of the elpistostegalian Tiktaalik roseae and
> show that transformations to the axial column for head mobility, body
> support, and pelvic fin buttressing evolved in finned vertebrates prior
> to the origin of limbs. No atlas–axis complex is observed; however, an
> independent basioccipital–exoccipital complex suggests increased
> mobility at the occipital vertebral junction. While the construction of
> vertebrae in Tiktaalik is similar to early tetrapodomorphs, its ribs
> possess a specialized sacral domain. Sacral ribs are expanded and
> ventrally curved, indicating likely attachment to the expanded iliac
> blade of the pelvis by ligamentous connection. Thus, the origin of novel
> rib types preceded major alterations to trunk vertebrae, and linkage
> between pelvic fins and axial column preceded the origin of limbs. These
> data reveal an unexpected combination of post-cranial skeletal
> characters, informing hypotheses of body posture and movement in the
> closest relatives of limbed vertebrates.
>
> Open access:
> https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2316106121
Good catch.

Re: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae

<uve4b4$bp4$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6522&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6522

From: rainbow@colition.gov (Popping Mad)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:19:47 -0400
 by: Popping Mad - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:19 UTC

On 4/4/24 10:01, erik simpson wrote:
> Included among their novel features are sacral ribs,

we owe it to them for barbeque spare ribs

Re: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae

<2f845496-847a-4915-a8b4-2669f4fe8463@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6523&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6523

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:39:18 -0700
To: "sci.bio.paleontology" <sci.bio.paleontology@googlegroups.com>
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
From: eastside.erik@gmail.com (erik simpson)
 by: erik simpson - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:39 UTC

On 4/13/24 7:19 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
> On 4/4/24 10:01, erik simpson wrote:
>> Included among their novel features are sacral ribs,
>

> we owe it to them for barbeque spare ribs

I wonder; would it taste like fish or chicken?

Re: Axial skeleton of Tiktaalik roseae

<oi0r1j1n98v0qje794hidtlprh14bq69vv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=6524&group=sci.bio.paleontology#6524

From: 69jpil69@gmail.com (jillery)
Newsgroups: sci.bio.paleontology
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 15:39:30 -0400
 by: jillery - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:39 UTC

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 08:39:18 -0700, erik simpson
<eastside.erik@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 4/13/24 7:19 AM, Popping Mad wrote:
>> On 4/4/24 10:01, erik simpson wrote:
>>> Included among their novel features are sacral ribs,
>>

>> we owe it to them for barbeque spare ribs
>
>I wonder; would it taste like fish or chicken?

Chicken of the Sea?