Kill Ugly Radio -- Frank Zappa

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - gotBob La Londe
+* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?Jim Wilkins
|`* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?Jim Wilkins
| +* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - gotBob La Londe
| |`- Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?Jim Wilkins
| `* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?pyotr filipivich
|  `* Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?Jim Wilkins
|   `- Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - gotBob La Londe
`- Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?bruce bowser

1
Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u6ndou$1n46s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7749&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7749

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got
it?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 10:09:49 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 17:09 UTC

On 6/18/2023 9:45 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> ‘Entering the clean power era’: Wind and solar generated a record amount of global power in 2022
> CNBC - April 12, 2023
> - https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/12/wind-and-solar-generated-a-record-amount-of-global-power-in-2022.html

And if the build just one more tower than goes into a landfill this year
and managed to just one more solar panel than fails they will set a new
record this year.

I suspect that we set a new world record in all time miles of road last
year too.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u6o9db$1qroe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7750&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7750

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 21:01:26 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 01:01 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u6ndou$1n46s$1@dont-email.me...

On 6/18/2023 9:45 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> ‘Entering the clean power era’: Wind and solar generated a record amount
> of global power in 2022
> CNBC - April 12, 2023
> -
> https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/12/wind-and-solar-generated-a-record-amount-of-global-power-in-2022.html

And if the build just one more tower than goes into a landfill this year
and managed to just one more solar panel than fails they will set a new
record this year.

I suspect that we set a new world record in all time miles of road last
year too.
Bob La Londe

---------------------

Feeling superior is all that matters now.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/2004/11/10/the-politics-of-self-esteem/5edf885a-c0f5-4565-8648-011467f06152/

It's a replay of the old religious divide between the doctrines of faith
versus good deeds. Those incapable of good deeds (or anything useful) denied
their value and clung to parroting "correct" dogma to achieve righteousness
and salvation. Now the misfits and losers try to demonize and punish the
success they aren't capable of, like Aesop's fable of the fox and the
grapes.

https://mast.house.gov/2023/4/biden-continues-to-punish-hard-work

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u6qkpq$26cm2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7751&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7751

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:28:05 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:28 UTC

Most of the components of a regional solar powered electric grid are also
required for an off-grid home installation, except the transmission lines. A
small separately derived system still needs the panels, charge controller,
batteries, inverters, monitoring, operator/repairman and an always-available
back-up source for equipment failures or long overcast periods.

If you really think solar is the answer, obtain your own system and
experience and try to solve or at least understand the problems first-hand,
so you can advocate from more than narrow personal needs. Instead of one
full-time adequately sized power source you'll need to invest in three
part-time ones for the same kilowatt-hour usage; the solar, the batteries
and the back-up generator, and so does an electric utility.

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u6skqo$2g387$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7752&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7752

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
it?
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:40:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:40 UTC

On 6/19/2023 3:28 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> Most of the components of a regional solar powered electric grid are
> also required for an off-grid home installation, except the transmission
> lines. A small separately derived system still needs the panels, charge
> controller, batteries, inverters, monitoring, operator/repairman and an
> always-available back-up source for equipment failures or long overcast
> periods.
>
> If you really think solar is the answer, obtain your own system and
> experience and try to solve or at least understand the problems
> first-hand, so you can advocate from more than narrow personal needs.
> Instead of one full-time adequately sized power source you'll need to
> invest in three part-time ones for the same kilowatt-hour usage; the
> solar, the batteries and the back-up generator, and so does an electric
> utility.

I have installed solar a few times, but it was for applications where
power just wasn't available. Alarm systems in model homes and remote
warehouses. All with cellular monitoring and communication. What I
found was even here in SW Arizona where we once had a restaurant that
advertised free meals any day the sun doesn't shine I needed a lot more
solar capacity than you would think. At first I put up panels that
should have done the job with some reserve capacity, and the batteries
could carry the equipment solo for a couple days (when new), and after a
week I started having low battery issues. I tied the solar charge
controller directly into the gel cells, and programmed the panels to not
report AC failure. It worked... for about a week. I figured I had 30%
excess solar capacity going by the numbers, but I didn't. I doubled the
solar panel size and it worked fine.

On a marginally higher use system in a warehouse, I wired the charge
controller into independent batteries, then used an inverter to power
the panel and cellular unit. Then each of those had its own backup
battery. It worked great, and I would get an AC warning well before the
system went dead when the batteries ahead of the inverter got depleted.
Never had a power issue with it, but I did get a complaint from one of
their neighbors years later when the warehouse had been abandoned, and
the batteries went bad as they always do. The panel went whacko as
power dropped and went into alarm and the siren started sounding and
resetting for a day and a half. I had no keys to the warehouse. I told
them to call the realtor, and I never heard anything again.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u6t025$2h9kj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7753&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7753

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 15:52:30 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 19:52 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u6skqo$2g387$1@dont-email.me...

I have installed solar a few times, but it was for applications where
power just wasn't available. Alarm systems in model homes and remote
warehouses. All with cellular monitoring and communication. What I
found was even here in SW Arizona where we once had a restaurant that
advertised free meals any day the sun doesn't shine I needed a lot more
solar capacity than you would think. At first I put up panels that
should have done the job with some reserve capacity, and the batteries
could carry the equipment solo for a couple days (when new), and after a
week I started having low battery issues. I tied the solar charge
controller directly into the gel cells, and programmed the panels to not
report AC failure. It worked... for about a week. I figured I had 30%
excess solar capacity going by the numbers, but I didn't. I doubled the
solar panel size and it worked fine.

------------------------------

An array that gets effectively 8 hours of full sun per day would have to be
3 times the size of the load to carry the other 16 hours. Here it's more
like 5 times. I see output halved by fairly thin haze or cirrus and cut to
1/10th or less by a storm.

Surprisingly time of year has relatively little effect here because the
winter air is cleaner and cold panels are more efficient. A low loss test
setup can show the full rated output of a panel by mid-February.

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<21597c77-5832-40ec-8270-eb61eb7d5654n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7755&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7755

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 08:26:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce2bowser@gmail.com (bruce bowser)
 by: bruce bowser - Fri, 23 Jun 2023 15:26 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 1:09:55 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 6/18/2023 9:45 AM, bruce bowser wrote:
> > ‘Entering the clean power era’: Wind and solar generated a record amount of global power in 2022
> > CNBC - April 12, 2023
> > - https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/12/wind-and-solar-generated-a-record-amount-of-global-power-in-2022.html
> And if the build just one more tower than goes into a landfill this year
> and managed to just one more solar panel than fails they will set a new
> record this year.
>
> I suspect that we set a new world record in all time miles of road last
> year too.

More and more solar and wind is used each year.

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<6ekc9i9ijr0tj5oonbs5lprc9i4vogb7cp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7759&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7759

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:18:56 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:18 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> on Mon, 19 Jun 2023 18:28:05
>Most of the components of a regional solar powered electric grid are also
>required for an off-grid home installation, except the transmission lines. A
>small separately derived system still needs the panels, charge controller,
>batteries, inverters, monitoring, operator/repairman and an always-available
>back-up source for equipment failures or long overcast periods.
>
>If you really think solar is the answer, obtain your own system and
>experience and try to solve or at least understand the problems first-hand,
>so you can advocate from more than narrow personal needs. Instead of one
>full-time adequately sized power source you'll need to invest in three
>part-time ones for the same kilowatt-hour usage; the solar, the batteries
>and the back-up generator, and so does an electric utility.

OTOH - the original post was proud about the World RECORD power
supplied by Wind/Solar. Because let's face it, if you install more
inefficient part time electricity sources, why yes you will generate a
"record amount".
Still not enough to actually meet current demand for electricity.
But you can polish your virtuosity because the fossil fuel plants
aren't there to make up the needed demand.
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u76odg$40el$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7761&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7761

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 08:43:22 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 12:43 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

....But you can polish your virtuosity because the fossil fuel plants
aren't there to make up the needed demand.
pyotr filipivich

----------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling
"No one actually has to do anything. Virtue comes from mere words or even
from silently held beliefs. There was a time in the distant past when people
thought you could only be virtuous by doing things...[that] involve effort
and self-sacrifice."

If you want to make a meaningful rather than uselessly symbolic contribution
then explore and promote ways to reduce your own household energy
consumption, like drying laundry on a clothesline. I have a long list of
effective ones, many that I've posted to little or no effect, but they
require lifting a finger to take action personally instead of just trying to
shame and feel superior to others, "Oh, I could never do that."

https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q?th=1

Re: Wind/Solar Generate RECORD Power World Wide In 2022 (CNBC) - got it?

<u772qp$5650$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7763&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7763

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
it?
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 08:41:11 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 24 Jun 2023 15:41 UTC

On 6/24/2023 5:43 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "pyotr filipivich"  wrote in message
>
> ...But you can polish your virtuosity because the fossil fuel plants
> aren't there to make up the needed demand.
> pyotr filipivich
>
> ----------------------
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling
> "No one actually has to do anything. Virtue comes from mere words or
> even from silently held beliefs. There was a time in the distant past
> when people thought you could only be virtuous by doing things...[that]
> involve effort and self-sacrifice."
>
> If you want to make a meaningful rather than uselessly symbolic
> contribution then explore and promote ways to reduce your own household
> energy consumption, like drying laundry on a clothesline. I have a long
> list of effective ones, many that I've posted to little or no effect,
> but they require lifting a finger to take action personally instead of
> just trying to shame and feel superior to others, "Oh, I could never do
> that."
>
> https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q?th=1

For many virtue just comes from looking down on others.

"Look at that disgusting working man covered in grease form fixing my
car." The same car they aren't even competent to learn the skills to
learn the skills.

.... continued in the topic Virtue Signaling Vises