Life's the same, except for the shoes. -- The Cars

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

SubjectAuthor
* FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
 +- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
 `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |+* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  ||`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  || `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  ||  +- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  ||  `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
  |`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
  | `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |  +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
  |  |`- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |  `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |+- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |`- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   | `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |  +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   |  |`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |  | +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   |  | |+- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |  | |`* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   |  | | `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   |  | `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   |  `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneRichard Smith
  |   +* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
  |   |`- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |   `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |    `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  |     `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneLeon Fisk
  |      `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneJim Wilkins
  `* Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe
   `- Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily doneBob La Londe

Pages:12
FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<ly7crg6nlz.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7815&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7815

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2023 10:18:48 +0100
sha1:2Wd+QATvWAMWuaZrPtt0dQUwp+k= sha256:HFol8KNlRMqvt6z6Xcs8+Tbwu37Qw72o9SeVG8dcXpI=
sha1:OSAzGTkuDWR0EH6TJlPgfy/LMKI= sha256:mUA6iVOjeKSofVbiH7x8nzAM4FXlIVGqWZB5A7UhSww=
 by: Richard Smith - Tue, 4 Jul 2023 09:18 UTC

Hi all

For what it's worth - I found putting a "contact me form" on my
website (weldsmith.co.uk) surprisingly straightforward.

This is for if you have a hosted website on a server.

I got a websites expert to check it and they say "That's 'where it is'
- the way to do it". Everything else which could be suggested is
"bells-and-whistles" animations, sounds, etc. - totally superfluous to
our technical-mind information-content-is-everything communications.

Web search had me at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18379238/send-email-with-php-from-html-form-on-submit-with-the-same-script
and I copied-and-pasted the two files I needed from there.
Slight simplifications and personal info the script needs, plus one
more little file to "blank" anyone trying to look at the directory

The HTML "forms" page the visitor "clicks on".
Has the "onward" instruction to activate the "mail handler" script to
take its submitted content when the visitor "Submit"'s the info...

vvvvvvvv "contact.html" vvvvvvvv

<!DOCTYPE html>

<head>
<title>Contact form</title>
<!-- <link rel="stylesheet" href="/stylesheets/html_std.css" type="text/css"> --> <!-- if you use a style sheet... -->
</head>

<h2>Contact me - send me a message</h2>

I will be able to respond if you provide a valid your email address in
the "Email" form field.
It is permissible to include your phone number in the "Message".

<form action="mail_handler.php" method="post">
Your Name: <input type="text" name="submitter_name"><br>
Your Email Address: <input type="text" name="email"><br>
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

then the server-side page which handles what comes through that form.
The "easy bit" is that what it is wanted to do here is so obvious and
common that "PHP" the scripting language has a "mail()" function which
does exactly this which is wanted.

You only have to replace "MYNAME@MYDOMAIN.XYZ" with your real email
address. No-one else can see it.

vvvvvvvv "mail_handler.php" vvvvvvvv

<?php
if(isset($_POST['submit'])){
$to = "MYNAME@MYDOMAIN.XYZ"; // this is your Email address
$from = $_POST['email']; // this is the sender's Email address
$name = $_POST['submitter_name'];
$subject = "Form submission";
$subject2 = "Copy of your form submission";
$message = $first_name . " " . $last_name . " wrote the following:" . "\n\n" . $_POST['message'];
$message2 = "Here is a copy of your message " . $first_name . "\n\n" . $_POST['message'];

$headers = "From:" . $from;
$headers2 = "From:" . $to;
mail($to,$subject,$message,$headers);
mail($from,$subject2,$message2,$headers2); // sends a copy of the message to the sender
echo "Mail Sent. Thank you " . $name . ", I will contact you shortly.";
// You can also use header('Location: thank_you.php'); to redirect to another page.
// You cannot use header and echo together. It's one or the other.
}
?>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Finally, a teeny bit of "housekeeping" - you prevent someone listing
the directory, for what gain they might get, by putting in nothing
more than an "index page" - the server always serves-up "index.html"
if it's called to go to a directory and an "index.html" is there...

vvvvvvvv "index.html" vvvvvvvv

<head>
<title>Contact form page</title>
</head>

<center>
You want the
Contact Form
</a>
</center>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Our" webpages are not going to show up much on "Google" searches.
Not much linked-to; not the "hottest" sites on the Web, etc.
So not much call for a "Contact Form" generated there.

On the other hand...

On forums like RCM, someone liking what they see in a web link to your
site which you post here can make contact with you via an introductory
message, with everything personal for you and them in a private
message transfer.

Thus, if I went on about
"Ali MIG/GMAW welding with quality control"
and you went to that page
http://weldsmith.co.uk/tech/welding/weld_qual/221128_alimig/221128_ali_mig_qualctrl.html
and you thought "Wow! This if it worked would solve years of problems
I've had!" you could "click" on the "contact me : <Contact Form>" to
provide your email, phone number and an introductory message showing
you have deep experience of Ali welding and are genuine.

Then I could respond and a private communication path would be
established.

Hope this helps someone somewhere.
Thanks for all the help over the decades.

Regards,
Rich Smith

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8408c$hvpc$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7819&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7819

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 07:55:07 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 5 Jul 2023 14:55 UTC

On 7/4/2023 2:18 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi all
>
> For what it's worth - I found putting a "contact me form" on my
> website (weldsmith.co.uk) surprisingly straightforward.

I might suggest adding some captcha or spam defeat features to your
contact form. (I haven't looked. Maybe you have.) There are companies
that hunt down contact forms and use them to spam the web site inbox.

I didn't go through all your code, but if you are using the default host
side sendmail script there are ways to bypass the contact form and abuse
your hosts sendmail program.

I run a simple spam defeat question AND a captcha system on my two web
contact forms and I still get some spam routed through them.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<lywmzdb1ol.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7826&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7826

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 14:38:02 +0100
sha1:eIdpT6QXusa0nOY2J2XjW3hzN1A= sha256:MDCORMgbCV/fGPPDkyoRkeSFPWVHQKLuM0jEoWCfKX4=
sha1:K3YNktgbCdHS8cHsNUjjLkbml6A= sha256:DSWNUgZZwgg232rzkHpfNxd1X1GecQb5nOlgEIskd/w=
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 13:38 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> writes:

> On 7/4/2023 2:18 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> For what it's worth - I found putting a "contact me form" on my
>> website (weldsmith.co.uk) surprisingly straightforward.
>>

> I might suggest adding some captcha or spam defeat features to your
> contact form. (I haven't looked. Maybe you have.) There are
> companies that hunt down contact forms and use them to spam the web
> site inbox.
>
> I didn't go through all your code, but if you are using the default
> host side sendmail script there are ways to bypass the contact form
> and abuse your hosts sendmail program.
>
> I run a simple spam defeat question AND a captcha system on my two web
> contact forms and I still get some spam routed through them.
>

>> Regards,
>> Rich Smith
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not
> a real machinist
>

> --
> www.avg.com

Bob, all

Thanks so much for this.

I actually have to make an embarrassing retraction of that "it was
easy and checked as okay".

Advice from another source had a very different tone.

I've had to learn about "sanitizing" input, checking for plausibility,
etc.
In the course of which - the learning - I could see some bugs. Also,
given the "spambots" finding it, *do not* auto-acknowledge
"submissions".

I've also put size checks in - longstops, but block attacks like
giving a 4MB email address (!), etc.

Thanks for the other hints.

Thanks also for the hints about sendmail, using "captcha's", etc.

Here's the PHP code for taking in the email address supplied by the
HTML "forms" input box - using a lot of "ready-made" PHP functions.

"
$sf_from = filter_var(trim($_POST['email']), FILTER_SANITIZE_EMAIL);
if(strlen($sf_from) > 64){
echo "Use a briefer email addr";
exit(0);
}
if (!filter_var($sf_from, FILTER_VALIDATE_EMAIL)) {
echo("$sf_from is not a valid email address. You might be able to Browser-back, correct and re-submit");
exit(0);
}
"

Regards,
Rich Smith

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<lywmzcekr2.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7830&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7830

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2023 23:30:09 +0100
sha1:fyoajhPskxi0WqAK05aQd8KBG58= sha256:0mrDoi2BwOnfsUTlrH/zwCTbInAeSam1q629jZWb/3A=
sha1:Rsz9Al6aMR/BMNTrMyd5G/jSGmg= sha256:20HLMlR2HjMBtYz7K/HnCqKBQF1an7iFw0Q39HnqQsU=
 by: Richard Smith - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 22:30 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> writes:

> On 7/4/2023 2:18 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> For what it's worth - I found putting a "contact me form" on my
>> website (weldsmith.co.uk) surprisingly straightforward.
>>

> I might suggest adding some captcha or spam defeat features to your
> contact form. (I haven't looked. Maybe you have.) There are
> companies that hunt down contact forms and use them to spam the web
> site inbox.
>
> I didn't go through all your code, but if you are using the default
> host side sendmail script there are ways to bypass the contact form
> and abuse your hosts sendmail program.
>
> I run a simple spam defeat question AND a captcha system on my two web
> contact forms and I still get some spam routed through them.
>

>> Regards,
>> Rich Smith
>
> --
> Bob La Londe
> Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not
> a real machinist

Hello again Bob, everyone

I’ve devised and incorporated a CAPTCHA
(Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart)
into my Contact Form.

To be seen at
http://weldsmith.co.uk/contactform/contact.html

Happy days!

I don't mind getting some messages if/while you test the script.

Alternatively, I've created
http://weldsmith.co.uk/contactformtest/contact.html
where everything else is identical but I've
* commented-out the one line which actually sends the message which
has been assembled (ie. it doesn't send messages / use resources)
* switched to a text-echo where the message would have sent (not HTML
"Succesfully send" page)
So you can try time-and-again to make the thing "crap-out" no problem
at all... :-)

Best wishes,
Rich Smith

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u87ipu$12hf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7833&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7833

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2023 19:29:54 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 6 Jul 2023 23:29 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lywmzcekr2.fsf@void.com...

I’ve devised and incorporated a CAPTCHA
(Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart)
into my Contact Form.

------------------------------

I entered "stabbing" but it told me to piss off.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<ly4jmgywug.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7835&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7835

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 09:00:55 +0100
sha1:kcqnQY1iDkrXntTPed1d3Miav8E= sha256:67lCvyBi5RKSzlY5fTst9eirFxMDjoUPVtST9svUzH0=
sha1:3uv4Y415eA93H9u0+BTUVukJ8Fo= sha256:DxxVMGHs2mTEbAxwVBas2VRH46QNm7Xjq9wD1IaHNZA=
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:00 UTC

The hint of the correct response is supposed to be there when you get
don't get it right first time.

"They were pissing up my back..."

A good mainly European-Jewish (?) one is
"Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining"

It is a bit of a joke. Probably not well-judged.

British sense-of-humour often doesn't transfer well in optimistic
upbeat North America. We have to be careful of that. My apologies.

I will put a CAPTCHA where the answer is there for a human to recognise.

Sorry - this is the effect of current circumstances on us.
A few commentators from America sense that.
The "news" is endless exactly on-message propaganda and headspaces are
having a tough time.

Best wishes,
Rich Smith

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<ly1qhk6rzm.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7837&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7837

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 09:33:17 +0100
sha1:7GJrVOnRcnC+rdP+hpJvDVLEYv4= sha256:QZw+ktL9GrImz6SQPQrgZdKUTH6QxqSjLE2AjMuGIxg=
sha1:QbFLPS4Bm9Tb2BoW+EsabVU2Lps= sha256:4/WovYVrkdGHuLdZ30/tCKQHFIG7YI5mi30ot9uG4Z4=
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 08:33 UTC

I've replaced it with a captcha based on a nursery rhyme, where the
answer sought is there to be recognised.
Seen at
http://weldsmith.co.uk/contactform/contact.html
Best wishes

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u88t52$1afnc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7838&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7838

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 07:32:39 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:32 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly1qhk6rzm.fsf@void.com...

I've replaced it with a captcha based on a nursery rhyme, where the
answer sought is there to be recognised.
Seen at
http://weldsmith.co.uk/contactform/contact.html
Best wishes

------------------------

I didn't remember the rhyme and had to Google it, which an AI could do too.

It's funny, I once memorized The Raven and the German poem Erlkoenig, but
skipped past the simple things. I gave up on this Bavarian expletive:
Himmiherrgotzaggramentzefixallelujamilextamarschscheissglumpfaregtz!!!

I'm fairly well versed in British, Aussie, French, German and Yiddish slang
from Brit TV, reading soldiers' and sailors' memoirs, and a German boss who
had been in the Hitler Youth, then moved to New York and worked for Jews. He
unloaded his stories on me as I was the only one who would listen. I learned
that your two finger insult implied shooting an arrow from watching Buffy,
whose writers enjoyed exploring and twisting language well beyond the norm
for American TV, such as sarcastic humor in Latin and from cast member
Anthony Stewart Head.

So Gadzooks means God's Hooks, but what are they?

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<lyv8ev50ol.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7839&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7839

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 14:08:26 +0100
sha1:n1yAca6DcGinB92xI92uCvNfoKM= sha256:f2o/RzQGjaLCptnAO4W/xwpklELc4O95SJqtsCBbROY=
sha1:xD9lVNs/6NX9vW3cUbGBBVQ+iFU= sha256:zkIhciojbIehndKwbkIaj6tO7JorB6FCIQO02a6kCWc=
 by: Richard Smith - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 13:08 UTC

Better not use
"Himmiherrgotzaggramentzefixallelujamilextamarschscheissglumpfaregtz"
as the CHAPTCHA response :-)

The only immediate use for the "Contact Form" is to let folk on
newsgroups establish contact via personal emails.

I refreshed my google notification of my website and I do show up in
search(es) on "plausible" searches for things I have an interest in,
which I have written about.
Which could be another reason for folk wanting to make contact.

Thanks for all the leads of incredibly good reads.
If I get settled and the rain is pouring down I must read them.
The contemporaneous ones of the "engineers" on locomotives in the
1880's/1890's would surely be amazing to read.

Best wishes,
Rich S

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u89dll$1cg8a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7842&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7842

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:14:42 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:14 UTC

Hopefully my test messages reached you well, however I disagree with
your answer. Yes, Wikipedia (and other sources) draw an inference
because the rhyme is associated with a sometimes used phrase in English
language cultures, but there is not any indication of that actual state
in the original text. There are two alternatively much more likely
possible answers. I did detail also why either of those possibilities
might also be equally incorrect. Unless one was there at the time there
is no certainty that there is any actual correct answer. Just degrees
of likelihood.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
real machinist

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u89dmr$1cg8a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7843&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7843

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:15:22 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:15 UTC

On 7/6/2023 4:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Richard Smith"  wrote in message news:lywmzcekr2.fsf@void.com...
>
> I’ve devised and incorporated a CAPTCHA
> (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans
> Apart)
> into my Contact Form.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> I entered "stabbing" but it told me to piss off.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
real machinist

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u89e6v$1cg8a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7844&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7844

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:23:58 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:23 UTC

On 7/7/2023 4:32 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Richard Smith"  wrote in message news:ly1qhk6rzm.fsf@void.com...
>
> I've replaced it with a captcha based on a nursery rhyme, where the
> answer sought is there to be recognised.
> Seen at
> http://weldsmith.co.uk/contactform/contact.html
> Best wishes
>
> ------------------------
>
> I didn't remember the rhyme and had to Google it, which an AI could do too.
>
> It's funny, I once memorized The Raven

In high school my drama club once spent a day going from class to class
doing a dramatic reading of the Raven (memorized but long since
forgotten now). I had terrible gas that day and didn't make it through
a single recital without multiple eruptions. Some were silenced, but
none failed to escape. At the exact end of one performance I let loose
with one particularly loud and long lasting emphasis. Our instructor
gave me the evil eye, and I responded by looking at her wide eyed and
asking as innocently as I could muster, "I'm sorry. You didn't think my
special affects added to the AIR of dread in the room?"

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
real machinist

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u89ed6$1cg8a$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7845&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7845

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 09:27:17 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:27 UTC

On 7/7/2023 9:14 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Hopefully my test messages reached you well, however I disagree with
> your answer.  Yes, Wikipedia (and other sources) draw an inference
> because the rhyme is associated with a sometimes used phrase in English
> language cultures, but there is not any indication of that actual state
> in the original text.  There are two alternatively much more likely
> possible answers.  I did detail also why either of those possibilities
> might also be equally incorrect.  Unless one was there at the time there
> is no certainty that there is any actual correct answer.  Just degrees
> of likelihood.

Having spent a little time pushing critters back from drift fences and
off of roads I feel it was much more likely to have been startled by a
rattle snake.

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8a4pb$1f9so$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7848&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7848

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 18:49:03 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 22:49 UTC

Piss...
---------
I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded to "Hit
any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black as several
bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem to explode like
fireworks. It did continue though.

On one machine I worked on the troubleshooting tree ended by giving the
software manager's home phone number. He didn't know and was NOT happy about
it.

The VT100 control set allowed other users to read and write to your screen,
so a gag was to search randomly for a character and then slowly slide it to
the bottom, with the message that your terminal was getting tired and needed
a rest. We learned a lot about programming by devising these stunts even if
they weren't used.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8a5m0$1f246$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7849&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7849

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 16:04:32 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 23:04 UTC

On 7/7/2023 3:49 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> Piss...
> ---------
> I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
> sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded to
> "Hit any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black as
> several bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem to
> explode like fireworks. It did continue though.
>
> On one machine I worked on the troubleshooting tree ended by giving the
> software manager's home phone number. He didn't know and was NOT happy
> about it.
>
> The VT100 control set allowed other users to read and write to your
> screen, so a gag was to search randomly for a character and then slowly
> slide it to the bottom, with the message that your terminal was getting
> tired and needed a rest. We learned a lot about programming by devising
> these stunts even if they weren't used.

A month or so I got a bit annoyed with my (now ex) dentist for spamming
my phone with text messages to review his business on Google. There was
no OPT out or advertising/spam policy in any of his intake forms. I
complained on his text notification system (for appointments) and he
made the mistake of texting me back and then calling me from his
personal cell phone to try and rationalize. I still haven't decided if
I'll expose his contact info to the world yet or not.

I did review his business since he asked.

Two Stars - Seems to be okay dentist, but does in chair up sales to his
captive audience, and then spams your phone. Does not appear to be any
notification of information sharing, marketing or SPAM for non service
purposes, nor is there an opt out on any of his intake forms.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8a69s$1ffmn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7850&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7850

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 19:14:56 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 23:14 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u8a5m0$1f246$1@dont-email.me...

A month or so I got a bit annoyed with my (now ex) dentist for spamming
my phone with text messages to review his business on Google. There was
no OPT out or advertising/spam policy in any of his intake forms. I
complained on his text notification system (for appointments) and he
made the mistake of texting me back and then calling me from his
personal cell phone to try and rationalize. I still haven't decided if
I'll expose his contact info to the world yet or not.

I did review his business since he asked.

Two Stars - Seems to be okay dentist, but does in chair up sales to his
captive audience, and then spams your phone. Does not appear to be any
notification of information sharing, marketing or SPAM for non service
purposes, nor is there an opt out on any of his intake forms.

Bob La Londe

------------------

I try very hard to remain on good terms with my dentist who is from a
powerful family in a sometimes hostile country.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<ly5y6un6ji.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7851&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7851

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2023 09:36:49 +0100
sha1:YaaPBzA7dj7AuFn9Bx+FrajrXEw= sha256:P1/flM65zAKXjlpXFCl6wnQpYJRpOuXTHAr5FK5/WJs=
sha1:5ahV7sqymII4sKQnBKOvGMRRyu8= sha256:5AhPKQvN5A70WNCLpuQbg0V2JaXxMMadYlPRPF0ysrM=
 by: Richard Smith - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:36 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
> sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded
> to "Hit any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black
> as several bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem
> to explode like fireworks. It did continue though.
>
> On one machine I worked on the troubleshooting tree ended by giving
> the software manager's home phone number. He didn't know and was NOT
> happy about it.
>
> The VT100 control set allowed other users to read and write to your
> screen, so a gag was to search randomly for a character and then
> slowly slide it to the bottom, with the message that your terminal was
> getting tired and needed a rest. We learned a lot about programming by
> devising these stunts even if they weren't used.

Hi Jim, everyone

That "mad moment" cost me a couple of hours.
I thought of the nursery rhyme captcha but having just cycled home
from Portreath in the sunset on the old mineral tramway, I had that
"devilment" moment.
It is a "sign of the times" and I am taking it as part of the
current experience.

My friend (female) came around and laughed when she saw how seriously
I had taken it that I might have caused offence.
Thanks for winding me up and "getting the penny to drop" :-)

Best wishes,
Rich S

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8bh4r$1no9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7852&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7852

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 07:26:07 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 11:26 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly5y6un6ji.fsf@void.com...

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
> sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded
> to "Hit any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black
> as several bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem
> to explode like fireworks. It did continue though.

Hi Jim, everyone

That "mad moment" cost me a couple of hours.
I thought of the nursery rhyme captcha but having just cycled home
from Portreath in the sunset on the old mineral tramway, I had that
"devilment" moment.
It is a "sign of the times" and I am taking it as part of the
current experience.

My friend (female) came around and laughed when she saw how seriously
I had taken it that I might have caused offence.
Thanks for winding me up and "getting the penny to drop" :-)

Best wishes,
Rich S
--------------------

Hey, I was an Army sergeant. You know things are serious when people DON'T
wise off.

This displays some of the everyday attitude I expect from the British:
https://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Two-Zero-Harrowing-Special/dp/0440218802
Opening it randomly:
"We knew many of the spooks by name, having worked with them in the UK.
'Morning, slime', I called out to a familiar face.
I got a mouthed word and a jerk of the wrist in return."

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8bjo1$1o2oh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7853&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7853

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:10:28 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:10 UTC

Although not quite a fan of Monty Python or Rowan Atkinson, I really liked
the absurdist humor in the WW1 episodes of Blackadder. The best of British
TV plays on the PBS network here. My sister who travels tells me it's the
only good part.

Occasionally PBS runs shows from other countries. I have to play them back
at half speed to understand the French or German.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8bmj0$1ocsb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7854&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7854

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:59:00 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 12:59 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly5y6un6ji.fsf@void.com...

....having just cycled home
from Portreath in the sunset on the old mineral tramway,

---------------------

Do you know when tin mining in that area began? I was wondering to what
extent it might have enabled the advance into the Bronze Age.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8c0dc$1phqg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7855&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7855

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 08:46:52 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 15:46 UTC

On 7/8/2023 1:36 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> "Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
>> sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded
>> to "Hit any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black
>> as several bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem
>> to explode like fireworks. It did continue though.
>>
>> On one machine I worked on the troubleshooting tree ended by giving
>> the software manager's home phone number. He didn't know and was NOT
>> happy about it.
>>
>> The VT100 control set allowed other users to read and write to your
>> screen, so a gag was to search randomly for a character and then
>> slowly slide it to the bottom, with the message that your terminal was
>> getting tired and needed a rest. We learned a lot about programming by
>> devising these stunts even if they weren't used.
>
> Hi Jim, everyone
>
> That "mad moment" cost me a couple of hours.
> I thought of the nursery rhyme captcha but having just cycled home
> from Portreath in the sunset on the old mineral tramway, I had that
> "devilment" moment.
> It is a "sign of the times" and I am taking it as part of the
> current experience.
>
> My friend (female) came around and laughed when she saw how seriously
> I had taken it that I might have caused offence.
> Thanks for winding me up and "getting the penny to drop" :-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Rich S

No offense. I was just disagreeing with you for the fun of it. I still
think its more likely the little dog or the table ware were elated than
the cow. There's nothing to indicate the cow wasn't just trying to get
away from a snake.

--
Bob La Londe
Proffessional Hack, Hobbyist, Wannabe, Shade Tree, Button Pushing, Not a
real machinist

www.avg.com

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8cfhe$1rako$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7856&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7856

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2023 16:04:49 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 8 Jul 2023 20:04 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:u8c0dc$1phqg$1@dont-email.me...

No offense. I was just disagreeing with you for the fun of it. I still
think its more likely the little dog or the table ware were elated than
the cow. There's nothing to indicate the cow wasn't just trying to get
away from a snake.

------------------
As an AI test you could type a few words of your phrase into a search engine
to see if it completes it.

So what do people commonly know but don't discuss on line?

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8e39m$243s9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7857&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7857

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 06:48:09 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 10:48 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly5y6un6ji.fsf@void.com...

...."getting the penny to drop"...

-------------------

I had to look up that unfamiliar expression.

Even the neighboring USA and Canada may not understand each other's lingo:
https://www.businessinsider.com/slang-terms-canada-2018-4

I've read that our nearly common pronunciation was Britain's from before the
Industrial Revolution, when the rise of a new class of the rich and powerful
caused imitation of their regional (east Midlands?) accent.

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<u8f882$289v2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7858&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7858

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2023 17:18:45 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 21:18 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news:u8e39m$243s9$1@dont-email.me...

https://www.businessinsider.com/slang-terms-canada-2018-4

https://blog.lingoda.com/en/american-words-british-dont-understand/

Re: FWIW "Contact Form" for my website proved readily done

<lyjzv8n2zw.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=7859&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#7859

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2023 23:17:55 +0100
sha1:Q8pyGbpWWmhLWGAITzdaxoeRlsw= sha256:9liqO8St97W/fcyE164RL4Q2FbGeGfwz60Anvvtwrxc=
sha1:V9VC2nFIEsw4G1Ep8JOCwcKSEm8= sha256:CxEBP9w80zxTxoJadVD3Tbdm0534ODQtz78gwziJRkE=
 by: Richard Smith - Sun, 9 Jul 2023 22:17 UTC

"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:

> "Richard Smith" wrote in message news:ly5y6un6ji.fsf@void.com...
>
> "Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I suspect many programmers have resisted the strong temptation to add
>> sarcastic responses for some user inputs. For wiseguys who responded
>> to "Hit any key to continue" with Ctrl, Shift or Alt I redefined black
>> as several bright colors in rapid succession to make the screen seem
>> to explode like fireworks. It did continue though.
>>

> Hi Jim, everyone
>
> That "mad moment" cost me a couple of hours.
> I thought of the nursery rhyme captcha but having just cycled home
> from Portreath in the sunset on the old mineral tramway, I had that
> "devilment" moment.
> It is a "sign of the times" and I am taking it as part of the
> current experience.
>
> My friend (female) came around and laughed when she saw how seriously
> I had taken it that I might have caused offence.
> Thanks for winding me up and "getting the penny to drop" :-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Rich S
>
> Hey, I was an Army sergeant. You know things are serious when people
> DON'T wise off.
>
> This displays some of the everyday attitude I expect from the British:
> https://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Two-Zero-Harrowing-Special/dp/0440218802
> Opening it randomly:
> "We knew many of the spooks by name, having worked with them in the UK.
> 'Morning, slime', I called out to a familiar face.
> I got a mouthed word and a jerk of the wrist in return."

:-)