From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Aluminum Coating
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:38:45 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 13 Aug 2023 18:38 UTC

I do a little firearms tinkering, and I am currently in the process of
building a 1911-22 with an aluminum frame.

I'd like to coat/protect/colorize the frame of the pistol, but I'm at a
loss as to which way I want to go. I'd use aluminum black, but the only
implementation I've seen was pretty ugly.

Currently my thoughts are Cerakote and color anodizing, but that
involves a bit of a setup which adds up. A lot of expense for just one
part. With anodizing its the stove, chemicals, power supply. No one
thing is particularly expensive, but it adds up. With Cerakot the
coatings are relatively expensive there are basically just two things...
and a sandblast cabinet which is one thing I don't have and have never
really had a need for.

Sending it out isn't really an option as I want to coat/protect it after
its finished. Since I am not an 01 FFL and the frame will not have been
manufactured more than 50 years ago I can not easily ship to a
commercial anodizer.

I guess I would more likely have future use for a blast cabinet than
relatively short term future use for an anodizing setup I have to ask...
How tough is Cerakote? If its not at least as tough as a good heavy
anodized coating that's probably the deciding factor. Regular
anodizing. I don't know anything about hard anodizing, and those who do
are relatively closed lipped about it.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff