From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: I feel better -
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:26:54 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:26 UTC

- after learning that the crawling in rust and sweating over stuck bolts
that I'm doing under the old car is worth $160 an hour.

Re: I feel better -

<uekklc$bm9p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8745&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8745

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: I feel better -
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 13:59:07 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:59 UTC

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:26:54 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

>- after learning that the crawling in rust and sweating over stuck bolts
>that I'm doing under the old car is worth $160 an hour.

From what I know of your work ethic/principals... it's worth far more
than that. I've done some of my own "rust" repair and it is nearly
impossible to get it done to my standards having someone else do it...

I wish they would stop "seasoning" the winter roads around here
making it inevitable...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: I feel better -

<uekpnh$ckic$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8746&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8746

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:25:05 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:25 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uekklc$bm9p$1@dont-email.me...

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 12:26:54 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

>- after learning that the crawling in rust and sweating over stuck bolts
>that I'm doing under the old car is worth $160 an hour.

From what I know of your work ethic/principals... it's worth far more
than that. I've done some of my own "rust" repair and it is nearly
impossible to get it done to my standards having someone else do it...

I wish they would stop "seasoning" the winter roads around here
making it inevitable...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

----------------------------------

In my yout a buddy and I would go out on the icy back roads before they were
treated to play, sometimes on dirt bikes. We had the tires and acquired the
skills for some degree of control on glare ice but very few others did and
sometimes the roads and especially hills would become obstacle courses of
stuck cars. I grudgingly understand why they are treated to protect the
least skilled and equipped of us. Not treating the roads would shift the
damage from rust to collisions with inept drivers. Apparently they don't
even learn not to brake while cornering in the rain. We have single car
accidents on straight dry level roads, my street included. I counted 8 sets
of tire tracks into the woods or median along ~30 miles of Interstate-grade
4 lane divided highway. The old 2-lane road had been known as a highway of
death with arrays of crosses at each intersection despite excellent
visibility in all directions.

When small rust holes poked through the rear fenders I asked the dealer's
body shop what the repair cost would be, hoping to lead the conversation to
scrapped fenders I could cut properly formed fender-shaped patches from.
They wanted $3000 per side to fix quarter-sized holes by replacing the
entire panel, and claimed not to keep used ones. A small local shop quoted
$800, before painting. My welds are visible if you know where to look
closely.

Re: I feel better -

<uekqlq$bm9p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8747&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8747

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:41:46 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:41 UTC

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:25:05 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
>In my youth a buddy and I would go out on the icy back roads before they were
>treated to play, sometimes on dirt bikes. We had the tires and acquired the
>skills for some degree of control on glare ice but very few others did and
>sometimes the roads and especially hills would become obstacle courses of
>stuck cars. I grudgingly understand why they are treated to protect the
>least skilled and equipped of us. Not treating the roads would shift the
>damage from rust to collisions with inept drivers. Apparently they don't
>even learn not to brake while cornering in the rain. We have single car
>accidents on straight dry level roads, my street included. I counted 8 sets
>of tire tracks into the woods or median along ~30 miles of Interstate-grade
>4 lane divided highway. The old 2-lane road had been known as a highway of
>death with arrays of crosses at each intersection despite excellent
>visibility in all directions.

I understand what you're saying but... how long can we keep raising the
salinity of our Great Lakes and poisoning our land for growing crops?

People crab about how bad our roads and bridges are but putting salt on
them decreases their lifespan significantly. When you factor in the
damage done to our vehicles, roads, water supply, agriculture... it is
an unsustainable venture that needs to be stopped. The sooner the
better😑

PS - I used to play on icy roads with sleds, mini/motor bikes, bicycles,
tractors, cars... anything and everything that shouldn't be done too😉

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: I feel better -

<uel0ht$dnld$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8748&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8748

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 17:21:34 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 21:21 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uekqlq$bm9p$2@dont-email.me...

On Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:25:05 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:

I understand what you're saying but... how long can we keep raising the
salinity of our Great Lakes and poisoning our land for growing crops?

------------------------

https://greenicemelt.com/products/sodium-acetate-naac-deicer-40-bags-50lb

Re: I feel better -

<uel2qn$e64g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8749&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8749

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 18:00:24 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 22:00 UTC

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message news:uekqlq$bm9p$2@dont-email.me...

People crab about how bad our roads and bridges are but putting salt on
them decreases their lifespan significantly. When you factor in the
damage done to our vehicles, roads, water supply, agriculture... it is
an unsustainable venture that needs to be stopped. The sooner the
better😑

----------------------------

I spray LPS-3 rust inhibitor under vehicles once or twice a year and it's
proven pretty effective on areas the spray could reach, especially relative
to those it didn't like the alternator pivot bolt. Most of the rust on my 23
year old Honda has been on inaccessible areas like inside fenders and under
shields. Much of the underbody and many suspension parts still wear the
original paint. Today I removes 6 very exposed M10 bolts that attached rear
frame brace pipes with no problem (except due to crawling under a car at my
age), and some of the threads were clean. The frame braces had rotted from
within from salt water that entered small drainage holes, $117 to replace
them. Even the small screws that attached wheel brake lines and the ABS
sensor wire shields came out easily and showed some original yellow chromate
on the threads. It doesn't help the calipers and related parts though,
apparently because they get hot enough to evaporate the waxy coating it
leaves. It also prolongs the life of galvanized roofing, but doesn't seem to
benefit outdoor aluminum.