Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts down the system for days.

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Shawn Olsen
`* Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?pyotr filipivich
 +- Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Jim Wilkins
 `* Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Mike Spencer
  `* Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Jim Wilkins
   `* Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Snag
    +- Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Snag
    `* Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Jim Wilkins
     `* Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Snag
      `- Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?Jim Wilkins

1
Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<980b04a9-30ff-44dc-9254-b2da270b2e43n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8782&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8782

Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:33:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?
From: s.a.olsen.artist@gmail.com (Shawn Olsen)
 by: Shawn Olsen - Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:33 UTC

On Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 12:51:46 PM UTC-6, Wayne Lundberg wrote:
> Back when I was a practicing Mfg. Eng. at Solar Turbines I did extensive
> research into deburring the inside hole made in tubing. I failed to find
> anything really earth-shaking.
> I'm faced with the problem again in advising a client of mine on how to
> deburr the 15 holes he is drilling in 1" od aluminum tubing to create his
> telescopic affair for his cargo net for pickup trucks. He bought a neat
> deburring tool from McMaster, on my recommendation, and is using it quite
> well, but his hand and wrist gets tired after about the 100th hole. He does
> not want to follow the logical step in taking the work to Mexico or China..
> He wants his product to be made in the USA.
> Any burr left on the inside of the tube screws up the easy telescoping
> movement and scratches the inner tube as well.
> Anybody have any proven success with this kind of problem?
> I told him this is one reason so many manufacturers have gone to Mexico or
> China because deburring is really one of those pesky problems requiring
> human hands. Of course he could do the work on a CNC machine and maybe we
> could find a shop to do it but the cost is going to be enormous when he is
> only dealing with a thousand holes a month. Now.
> Wayne

Can you pump abrasive slurry through it?

Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<tc06hippbmpegm6oniu4sjo55b54mbrg39@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8785&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8785

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 09:08:46 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:08 UTC

Shawn Olsen <s.a.olsen.artist@gmail.com> on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 14:33:51
-0700 (PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
>On Saturday, January 22, 2005 at 12:51:46?PM UTC-6, Wayne Lundberg wrote:
>> Back when I was a practicing Mfg. Eng. at Solar Turbines I did extensive
>> research into deburring the inside hole made in tubing. I failed to find
>> anything really earth-shaking.
>> I'm faced with the problem again in advising a client of mine on how to
>> deburr the 15 holes he is drilling in 1" od aluminum tubing to create his
>> telescopic affair for his cargo net for pickup trucks. He bought a neat
>> deburring tool from McMaster, on my recommendation, and is using it quite
>> well, but his hand and wrist gets tired after about the 100th hole. He does
>> not want to follow the logical step in taking the work to Mexico or China.
>> He wants his product to be made in the USA.
>> Any burr left on the inside of the tube screws up the easy telescoping
>> movement and scratches the inner tube as well.
>> Anybody have any proven success with this kind of problem?
>> I told him this is one reason so many manufacturers have gone to Mexico or
>> China because deburring is really one of those pesky problems requiring
>> human hands. Of course he could do the work on a CNC machine and maybe we
>> could find a shop to do it but the cost is going to be enormous when he is
>> only dealing with a thousand holes a month. Now.
>> Wayne
>
>Can you pump abrasive slurry through it?

Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
hone might work
--
pyotr filipivich

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uev0s9$2j729$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8786&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8786

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2023 12:28:23 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 16:28 UTC

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message

Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
hone might work
pyotr filipivich

---------------------------

When I was hunting for low cost used components to build my bucket loader
the owner of a hydraulics shop proudly showed me the large cylinder honing
machine he had designed and built.

Apparently the bore needs to be very smooth but not necessary exactly round
or straight, the seals can accommodate variations. It's not like reboring an
engine cylinder.

IIRC a former poster here had a business of resleeving brake cylinders with
brass or bronze.

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<874jjgbsly.fsf@enoch.nodomain.nowhere>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8791&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8791

From: mds@bogus.nodomain.nowhere (Mike Spencer)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: 26 Sep 2023 17:13:29 -0300
Sender: mds@enoch.nodomain.nowhere
 by: Mike Spencer - Tue, 26 Sep 2023 20:13 UTC

pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:

> Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
> hone might work

I duct-tape one end of a strip of abrasive cloth to a piece of dowel,
wrap the strip around the dowel a few turns in the correct direction
and put the dowel in an electric drill or drill press. Insert dowel
in tube and run the drill. Grit of abrasive and size of dowel
obviously to be chosen to suit requirements.

Perhaps unsuitable for production work but it serves me fine for
various one-offs.

--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf1l62$3609t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8795&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8795

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:27:13 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:27 UTC

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message
pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:

> Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
> hone might work

I duct-tape one end of a strip of abrasive cloth to a piece of dowel,
wrap the strip around the dowel a few turns in the correct direction
and put the dowel in an electric drill or drill press. Insert dowel
in tube and run the drill. Grit of abrasive and size of dowel
obviously to be chosen to suit requirements.

Perhaps unsuitable for production work but it serves me fine for
various one-offs.

Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

-------------------------------

I thought about and may have tried winding thin foam with the sandpaper to
maintain pressure as the abrasive wears down. Today at the auto parts store
they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf1n0p$36ds7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8796&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8796

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 11:59:04 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 16:59 UTC

On 9/27/2023 11:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Mike Spencer"  wrote in message
> pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>> Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
>> hone might work
>
> I duct-tape one end of a strip of abrasive cloth to a piece of dowel,
> wrap the strip around the dowel a few turns in the correct direction
> and put the dowel in an electric drill or drill press.  Insert dowel
> in tube and run the drill. Grit of abrasive and size of dowel
> obviously to be chosen to suit requirements.
>
> Perhaps unsuitable for production work but it serves me fine for
> various one-offs.
>
> Mike Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada
>
> -------------------------------
>
> I thought about and may have tried winding thin foam with the sandpaper
> to maintain pressure as the abrasive wears down. Today at the auto parts
> store they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.

What's that equivalent to in microns ? I have diamond paste ... I
think "W 1" is one micron ? I was intending to use it to lap a loose
roller bearing outer race on a 1939 Harley transmission . It's .0015"
out of round and that causes all kinds of grief .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf1nt9$36koo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8797&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8797

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:14:16 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:14 UTC

On 9/27/2023 11:59 AM, Snag wrote:
> On 9/27/2023 11:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Mike Spencer"  wrote in message
>> pyotr filipivich <phamp@mindspring.com> writes:
>>
>>> Granted a little late, but something modeled on a brake cylinder
>>> hone might work
>>
>> I duct-tape one end of a strip of abrasive cloth to a piece of dowel,
>> wrap the strip around the dowel a few turns in the correct direction
>> and put the dowel in an electric drill or drill press.  Insert dowel
>> in tube and run the drill. Grit of abrasive and size of dowel
>> obviously to be chosen to suit requirements.
>>
>> Perhaps unsuitable for production work but it serves me fine for
>> various one-offs.
>>
>> Mike Spencer                  Nova Scotia, Canada
>>
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> I thought about and may have tried winding thin foam with the
>> sandpaper to maintain pressure as the abrasive wears down. Today at
>> the auto parts store they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.
>>

>   What's that equivalent to in microns ? I have diamond paste ... I
> think "W 1" is one micron ? I was intending to use it to lap a loose
> roller bearing outer race on a 1939 Harley transmission . It's .0015"
> out of round and that causes all kinds of grief .

Clarification : I have several tubes of the diamond lapping paste
with "W" numbers up to 40 .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .
We protect them because they're important .

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf1ofs$36p5s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8798&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8798

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 13:23:38 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:23 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:uf1n0p$36ds7$1@dont-email.me...

On 9/27/2023 11:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Today at the auto parts
> store they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.

What's that equivalent to in microns ? I have diamond paste ... I
think "W 1" is one micron ? I was intending to use it to lap a loose
roller bearing outer race on a 1939 Harley transmission . It's .0015"
out of round and that causes all kinds of grief .
Snag

---------------------------

1/5000" or 0.0002" is 5 microns. I once demonstrated that I could adjust a 4
jaw lathe chuck by 1 micron to qualify for an optics tech job.

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf1q35$37574$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8799&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8799

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 12:51:32 -0500
 by: Snag - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 17:51 UTC

On 9/27/2023 12:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag"  wrote in message news:uf1n0p$36ds7$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 9/27/2023 11:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> Today at the auto parts
>> store they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.
>>

>   What's that equivalent to in microns ? I have diamond paste ... I
> think "W 1" is one micron ? I was intending to use it to lap a loose
> roller bearing outer race on a 1939 Harley transmission . It's .0015"
> out of round and that causes all kinds of grief .
> Snag
>
> ---------------------------
>
> 1/5000" or 0.0002" is 5 microns. I once demonstrated that I could adjust
> a 4 jaw lathe chuck by 1 micron to qualify for an optics tech job.

Now that's just plain showin' off . I can usually dial it under a
thou , but depending on the project and subsequent operations even that
is overkill .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .
We protect them because they're important .

Re: Oldies but goodies Re: deburring inside drilled tubing?

<uf2bu5$3atiq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8803&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8803

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 18:55:31 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 27 Sep 2023 22:55 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:uf1q35$37574$1@dont-email.me...

On 9/27/2023 12:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag" wrote in message news:uf1n0p$36ds7$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 9/27/2023 11:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> Today at the auto parts
>> store they had sandpaper with grit as fine as 5000.
>>

> What's that equivalent to in microns ? I have diamond paste ... I
> think "W 1" is one micron ? I was intending to use it to lap a loose
> roller bearing outer race on a 1939 Harley transmission . It's .0015"
> out of round and that causes all kinds of grief .
> Snag
>
> ---------------------------
>
> 1/5000" or 0.0002" is 5 microns. I once demonstrated that I could adjust a
> 4 jaw lathe chuck by 1 micron to qualify for an optics tech job.

Now that's just plain showin' off . I can usually dial it under a
thou , but depending on the project and subsequent operations even that
is overkill .
Snag

They brought me into that project as the electronic tech and I demonstrated
that I could also handle the closely related optical tech,
microwave-specific mechanical design and machining aspects of it, at least
for the laboratory proof of concept. That's how I advanced beyond the
expectations of the job I'd been hired for. My partly realized goal was to
convince the engineers that they could design outside the bounds of their
specialty and ask me to fill in the blanks or know which expert to call on.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20040022537