From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: wood stove overnight - thx snag
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 12:30:11 +0100
sha1:HK/L9KhNrTJjiyrASpocn470Dho= sha256:ZiNwWXbPBbFC9AANEAcgKVKUYGTr1BElCiuMSr4tdl0=
sha1:B6IBcwQSDR45SuCiz9BKL+Q8VM0= sha256:sBGbq9h+uZUur/A5nvrZoCkLJQAuP6Jjsl9hzAkTIRQ=
 by: Richard Smith - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:30 UTC

Hi there
Think thread was something like "electic" - lost it.
Anyway - Snag; thanks for commenting about large log which will just
fit in the stove for keeping in a fire overnight.
I asked about that - not-split / unsplit logs to put on a stove fire
late at night to keep a fire in until morning - and got shakes of the
head and "never heard of it".
So you'd be saying that is exactly what you do...?
Regards, Rich S

Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag

<5LdSM.53063$ugs.52766@fx36.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8876&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8876

Subject: Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
From: snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 07:38:25 -0500
 by: Snag - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:38 UTC

On 10/1/2023 6:30 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi there
> Think thread was something like "electic" - lost it.
> Anyway - Snag; thanks for commenting about large log which will just
> fit in the stove for keeping in a fire overnight.
> I asked about that - not-split / unsplit logs to put on a stove fire
> late at night to keep a fire in until morning - and got shakes of the
> head and "never heard of it".
> So you'd be saying that is exactly what you do...?
> Regards, Rich S

This may come thru twice , having problems posting with e-s this
morning .

Yes , that's exactly what I do . I seldom burn unsplit logs for that
purpose because they're not usually big enough . I split everything over
about 6" . My "overnighters" are usually around 8" to 9" square and I
use 2 most nights - load the fire box and turn the control way down . My
stove is an older model that is regulated by a bimetal spring hooked to
the air inlet damper . I'm not sure how the newer stoves with catalytic
or "afterburner" technology would perform damped down like I run mine
most of the time . I do have creosote buildup problems if my wood isn't
well seasoned . I run it wide open for a half hour or so once a week to
help burn it out of the stove pipe .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .

Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag

<ufc4mn$1kie6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8878&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8878

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 11:53:25 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 15:53 UTC

"Richard Smith" wrote in message news:lyy1gmbmws.fsf@void.com...

Hi there
Think thread was something like "electic" - lost it.
Anyway - Snag; thanks for commenting about large log which will just
fit in the stove for keeping in a fire overnight.
I asked about that - not-split / unsplit logs to put on a stove fire
late at night to keep a fire in until morning - and got shakes of the
head and "never heard of it".
So you'd be saying that is exactly what you do...?
Regards, Rich S

--------------------------

My stove isn't big enough for that, so in very cold weather I drink a glass
of water before bedtime and it wakes me to add wood.

Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag

<ufch1b$2fa9l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8882&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8882

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:24:26 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 19:24 UTC

On 10/1/2023 4:30 AM, Richard Smith wrote:
> Hi there
> Think thread was something like "electic" - lost it.
> Anyway - Snag; thanks for commenting about large log which will just
> fit in the stove for keeping in a fire overnight.
> I asked about that - not-split / unsplit logs to put on a stove fire
> late at night to keep a fire in until morning - and got shakes of the
> head and "never heard of it".
> So you'd be saying that is exactly what you do...?
> Regards, Rich S

I used to do something like that when camping. Partially banked larger
log so I still have coals in the morning to get the fire going quick.
I'd also keep a couple piles of small stuff that flames up fast covered
next to the fire. They made a decent way to light up the area as I roll
out of the firelight if something wakes me in the night, but they are
also able to quickly provide some heat when I could barely stand to
reach one arm out of my bed roll to get the fire going in the morning.

Okay, I prefer to camp in a hotel these days, but back in the day...

You know Richard. Wasn't the Yule log intended to burn all night
something that came from your part of the world? Maybe it was more than
just a holiday tradition.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag

<lya5t2c6tc.fsf@void.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8883&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8883

From: null@void.com (Richard Smith)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 23:32:31 +0100
sha1:lVNJIYdTzmIhBwnBNg+pNSOuAJo= sha256:WNTihvGcDtmDGPpDdos95h0shLt3GYhfFvLxulo6vMk=
sha1:OD5ICK4Pyanbu61xmKEVRn5++5c= sha256:CWSWOZZkZLp9bL9N/fwrOdr6GjpWdDb7LGTKoBgA3eE=
 by: Richard Smith - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 22:32 UTC

> Wasn't the Yule log intended to burn all night
> something that came from your part of the world?

Didn't know of that. Makes you feel warm just thinking of it.

Re: wood stove overnight - thx snag

<c3mohi5mo2sp9drnaf0l5ufhnrm03oetgp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8895&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8895

From: phamp@mindspring.com (pyotr filipivich)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 11:10:00 -0700
 by: pyotr filipivich - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 18:10 UTC

Bob La Londe <none@none.com99> on Sun, 1 Oct 2023 12:24:26 -0700 typed

>You know Richard. Wasn't the Yule log intended to burn all night
>something that came from your part of the world? Maybe it was more than
>just a holiday tradition.

As I recall, the Yule log was suppose to be big enough to burn
through out the days of the entire festival. Sort of "The last day,
and the log is all burned up." Unless it was "The log has burned up,
the festival was over."
--
pyotr filipivich