From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: fender supports
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 00:27:46 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 04:27 UTC

OK guys, I have a question for you metal gurus. I am building a
replica of a Briggs and Stratton or Smith Flyer. It uses 20 inch
wheels (Bicycle) and bike fenders. I would like to mount the fenders
with single side mounts instead of the standard "hoop" mounts used on
a bicycle. (I have lots of them - but don't really like the look
either painted or chromed and they make removing the wheel
complicated) What should I use? I am thinking 5/16" CRS.

Should I use 1018? or A36? A36 is slightly higher carbon (and usually
HRS rather than CRS -?).
Is 5/15 1018 overkill?would 1/4" be adequate? I would likelt be
welding 1/16 or 1/8" flat steel on the end bent to fit the inner shape
of the fender. Thinking with 5/16 I would cut a kerf in the end of the
round and either braze or TIG the flst into the kerf after rounding
the end The other end needs to be bolted to the spindle - thinking of
using a "drilled bolt" similar to
https://www.amazon.ca/Fender-Mudguard-BLUEMELS-Vintage-M5x17mm/dp/B07STDDS3P
to make them adjustable and easy to remove without having a HAZ down
at the high stress area from welding.

Am I on the right track, or am I crazy? (I know - you'll say I'm BOTH
- - - )

Re: fender supports

<ufu358$32fhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8962&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8962

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: fender supports
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 07:17:24 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 11:17 UTC

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message

[...]

------------------------------

https://www.agrisupply.com/hole-landscape-rake-tine/p/10454/
"These rake tines are made of high strength 5160 steel, and they have been
heat treated to 38-42 Rockwell for better flexibility and performance. This
landscape rake tine is 1 inch wide and 27 inches long."

Re: fender supports

<ufu9kp$33cg4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8964&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8964

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:08:40 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 13:08 UTC

On Sun, 08 Oct 2023 00:27:46 -0400
Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:

>OK guys, I have a question for you metal gurus. I am building a
>replica of a Briggs and Stratton or Smith Flyer. It uses 20 inch
>wheels (Bicycle) and bike fenders. I would like to mount the fenders
>with single side mounts instead of the standard "hoop" mounts used on
>a bicycle. (I have lots of them - but don't really like the look
>either painted or chromed and they make removing the wheel
>complicated) What should I use? I am thinking 5/16" CRS.

I've become super lazy when it comes to fabbing stuff. Usually go find
something pre-built that will do what I wantšŸ¤·

Check out the fenders and mounting on this "B-Back: a tricycle
accessory":

https://add-bike.com/en/b-back/

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: fender supports

<ufueo4$3558n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8965&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8965

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 10:35:12 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 14:35 UTC

[...]

-------------------------

CRS resists permanent bending better than HRS and comes galvanized, from the
local hardware store. Cost vs availability. Anything used outdoors can be
caught in a rain shower. As for the square stock it seems that blacksmiths
use at least 5/16" for various weight bearing brackets like plant hangers.
Their hot work is fully annealed to the softest condition.

Re: fender supports

<u9v6iih2v5o2fip895g2l2jqb5k2p7edkh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8967&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8967

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 00:11:59 -0400
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 04:11 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:08:40 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Oct 2023 00:27:46 -0400
>Clare Snyder <clare@snyder.on.ca> wrote:
>
>>OK guys, I have a question for you metal gurus. I am building a
>>replica of a Briggs and Stratton or Smith Flyer. It uses 20 inch
>>wheels (Bicycle) and bike fenders. I would like to mount the fenders
>>with single side mounts instead of the standard "hoop" mounts used on
>>a bicycle. (I have lots of them - but don't really like the look
>>either painted or chromed and they make removing the wheel
>>complicated) What should I use? I am thinking 5/16" CRS.
>
>I've become super lazy when it comes to fabbing stuff. Usually go find
>something pre-built that will do what I want?
>
>Check out the fenders and mounting on this "B-Back: a tricycle
>accessory":
>
>https://add-bike.com/en/b-back/
Not even close. Plastic fenders fastened by angle brackets to a
box??? I need steering fenders that look lioke they were made in 1919

Re: fender supports

<ug0mbd$3rc9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8968&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8968

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 06:57:14 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 10:57 UTC

Not even close. Plastic fenders fastened by angle brackets to a
box??? I need steering fenders that look lioke they were made in 1919

I found some plans for Smith and B&S on line, but didn't see fenders or
mounts for them. What do your sources show?

I saw some on an early Maxwell that reminded me of horse-drawn carriage
fender mounts forged by blacksmiths.

The fender mounts appear in some of these photos:
https://keysorautomobileworks.com/2016/12/06/1905-maxwell-l-tourabout/#fancybox[4199]-4

It's a simple enough part to replace if 5/16" square stock allows too much
vibration.