From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 10:01:18 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 17:01 UTC

Short (only 45 seconds) video:
https://rumble.com/v3n985o-3-second-holeshot-no-way.html?mref=1sqt4y&mc=42lue

No real metal working content. I did some metal working on this one for
the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right now.
Not a lot of metalworking required on a fiberglass boat.

I did do some metal working in the past for the previous owner. That
pedestal stub you see sticking up in the middle, is in a base bolted
through the sole with wide aluminum reinforcing plates below to spread
the load. I also made a precision aluminum clamp to bolt it to the side
of the console. It was a rudimentary "old man bar" so the previous
owner could grab it to help get out of his seat. I also did some
trailer repairs (fenders, winch repair, winch tower repair, etc) in the
past for him. There are even a couple pieces of aluminum tread plate
fitted in high traffic locations to eliminate carpet wear.

I hate carpet. Its wonderful the first few years, but then it just...
well, I hate carpet in a boat. The carpet in this boat is old and
rotten. I've been thinking of replacing it with an EVA foam product
called SeaDek. The problem is that old marine carpet glue. The last
time I stripped carpet out of a boat I couldn't find any solvent for the
carpet glue that didn't also eat the gel coat. I wound up sanding and
grinding. Its a miserable job.

So, what do you think might be a good chemical glue remover?

The gelcoat is a polyester resin.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One

<ufq9p0$1vm22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8936&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8936

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:46:25 -0500
 by: Snag - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 00:46 UTC

On 10/6/2023 12:01 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> Short (only 45 seconds) video:
> https://rumble.com/v3n985o-3-second-holeshot-no-way.html?mref=1sqt4y&mc=42lue
>

> No real metal working content.  I did some metal working on this one for
> the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right now. Not
> a lot of metalworking required on a fiberglass boat.
>
> I did do some metal working in the past for the previous owner.  That
> pedestal stub you see sticking up in the middle, is in a base bolted
> through the sole with wide aluminum reinforcing plates below to spread
> the load.  I also made a precision aluminum clamp to bolt it to the side
> of the console.  It was a rudimentary "old man bar" so the previous
> owner could grab it to help get out of his seat.  I also did some
> trailer repairs (fenders, winch repair, winch tower repair, etc) in the
> past for him.  There are even a couple pieces of aluminum tread plate
> fitted in high traffic locations to eliminate carpet wear.
>
> I hate carpet.  Its wonderful the first few years, but then it just...
> well, I hate carpet in a boat.  The carpet in this boat is old and
> rotten.  I've been thinking of replacing it with an EVA foam product
> called SeaDek.  The problem is that old marine carpet glue.  The last
> time I stripped carpet out of a boat I couldn't find any solvent for the
> carpet glue that didn't also eat the gel coat.  I wound up sanding and
> grinding.  Its a miserable job.
>
> So, what do you think might be a good chemical glue remover?
>
> The gelcoat is a polyester resin.

Tried naphtha with about 20-25% lacquer thinner ? If it's a latex based
floor covering adhesive that should at least soften it up so you can
scrape it off.
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .

Re: Glue Solvent - 3 Second Hole Shot - Yeah, I Acquired Another One

<ufumtr$37219$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=8966&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#8966

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 09:55:23 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 16:55 UTC

On 10/6/2023 5:46 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 10/6/2023 12:01 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> Short (only 45 seconds) video:
>> https://rumble.com/v3n985o-3-second-holeshot-no-way.html?mref=1sqt4y&mc=42lue
>>
>> No real metal working content.  I did some metal working on this one
>> for the previous owner, but don't have any planned for myself right
>> now. Not a lot of metalworking required on a fiberglass boat.
>>
>> I did do some metal working in the past for the previous owner.  That
>> pedestal stub you see sticking up in the middle, is in a base bolted
>> through the sole with wide aluminum reinforcing plates below to spread
>> the load.  I also made a precision aluminum clamp to bolt it to the
>> side of the console.  It was a rudimentary "old man bar" so the
>> previous owner could grab it to help get out of his seat.  I also did
>> some trailer repairs (fenders, winch repair, winch tower repair, etc)
>> in the past for him.  There are even a couple pieces of aluminum tread
>> plate fitted in high traffic locations to eliminate carpet wear.
>>
>> I hate carpet.  Its wonderful the first few years, but then it just...
>> well, I hate carpet in a boat.  The carpet in this boat is old and
>> rotten.  I've been thinking of replacing it with an EVA foam product
>> called SeaDek.  The problem is that old marine carpet glue.  The last
>> time I stripped carpet out of a boat I couldn't find any solvent for
>> the carpet glue that didn't also eat the gel coat.  I wound up sanding
>> and grinding.  Its a miserable job.
>>
>> So, what do you think might be a good chemical glue remover?
>>
>> The gelcoat is a polyester resin.
>>

> Tried naphtha with about 20-25% lacquer thinner ? If it's a latex based
> floor covering adhesive that should at least soften it up so you can
> scrape it off.

Thanks. Never even thought of Naptha.
--
Bob La Londe