Computers are useless. They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Timing pulley terminology

SubjectAuthor
* Timing pulley terminologybob prohaska
+* Re: Timing pulley terminologySnag
|`* Re: Timing pulley terminologybob prohaska
| `- Re: Timing pulley terminologySnag
`* Re: Timing pulley terminologyJim Wilkins
 `* Re: Timing pulley terminologybob prohaska
  `- Re: Timing pulley terminologyJim Wilkins

1
Timing pulley terminology

<uiov6h$3lj2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9054&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9054

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Timing pulley terminology
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:28:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:28 UTC

Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
without knowing the correct lingo.

The broken pulley has 18 rectangular teeth, the belt
measures 10 mm pitch but 1/4" width. The shaft is just a
hair over 9 mm, consistent with a 9 mm shaft that has been
knurled with fine, straight splines.

The toothcount, pitch, belt width and bore diameter seem to
include all the important specifications. Can somebody
hazard a guess at what to call the think I'm looking for?

If it matters, the pump says it's made by the Perfect
Circle Division of Dana Corp. IIRC it was sold as a
compressor for air-over-water pressurised plumbing in RVs.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uip14l$3lsdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9058&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9058

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Timing pulley terminology
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 17:01:44 -0600
 by: Snag - Sat, 11 Nov 2023 23:01 UTC

On 11/11/2023 4:28 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
> An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
> broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
> without knowing the correct lingo.
>
> The broken pulley has 18 rectangular teeth, the belt
> measures 10 mm pitch but 1/4" width. The shaft is just a
> hair over 9 mm, consistent with a 9 mm shaft that has been
> knurled with fine, straight splines.
>
> The toothcount, pitch, belt width and bore diameter seem to
> include all the important specifications. Can somebody
> hazard a guess at what to call the think I'm looking for?
>
> If it matters, the pump says it's made by the Perfect
> Circle Division of Dana Corp. IIRC it was sold as a
> compressor for air-over-water pressurised plumbing in RVs.
>
> Thanks for reading,
>
> bob prohaska

Sounds to me like that covers it .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uip59c$3ml3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9059&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9059

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 00:12:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 00:12 UTC

Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/2023 4:28 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
>> Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
>> An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
>> broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
>> without knowing the correct lingo.
>>
>> The broken pulley has 18 rectangular teeth, the belt
>> measures 10 mm pitch but 1/4" width. The shaft is just a
>> hair over 9 mm, consistent with a 9 mm shaft that has been
>> knurled with fine, straight splines.
>>
>> The toothcount, pitch, belt width and bore diameter seem to
>> include all the important specifications. Can somebody
>> hazard a guess at what to call the think I'm looking for?
>>
>> If it matters, the pump says it's made by the Perfect
>> Circle Division of Dana Corp. IIRC it was sold as a
>> compressor for air-over-water pressurised plumbing in RVs.
>>
>> Thanks for reading,
>>
>> bob prohaska
>>

> Sounds to me like that covers it .

Yes, but how does one express it in standard parlance
of the trade?

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uipdtp$3o0lo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9060&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9060

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:39:53 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 02:39 UTC

On 11/11/2023 6:12 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>> On 11/11/2023 4:28 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
>>> Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
>>> An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
>>> broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
>>> without knowing the correct lingo.
>>>
>>> The broken pulley has 18 rectangular teeth, the belt
>>> measures 10 mm pitch but 1/4" width. The shaft is just a
>>> hair over 9 mm, consistent with a 9 mm shaft that has been
>>> knurled with fine, straight splines.
>>>
>>> The toothcount, pitch, belt width and bore diameter seem to
>>> include all the important specifications. Can somebody
>>> hazard a guess at what to call the think I'm looking for?
>>>
>>> If it matters, the pump says it's made by the Perfect
>>> Circle Division of Dana Corp. IIRC it was sold as a
>>> compressor for air-over-water pressurised plumbing in RVs.
>>>
>>> Thanks for reading,
>>>
>>> bob prohaska
>>>

>> Sounds to me like that covers it .
>
> Yes, but how does one express it in standard parlance
> of the trade?
>
> Thanks for writing,
>
> bob prohaska

By stating tooth count , pitch , belt width , and bore diameter . You
have provided every piece of information needed to match your pulley .
--
Snag
Men don't protect women because they're weak .
We protect them because they're important .

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uiph66$3scq7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9061&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9061

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 22:35:25 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 03:35 UTC

"bob prohaska" wrote in message news:uiov6h$3lj2u$1@dont-email.me...

Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
without knowing the correct lingo.

-------------------------

https://www.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/knowledge-center/resource-library/brochure-sell-sheet/india/ptir-belt-id-chart.pdf

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uiqulv$5e04$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9062&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9062

From: bp@www.zefox.net (bob prohaska)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 16:31:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: bob prohaska - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 16:31 UTC

Jim Wilkins <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:
> "bob prohaska" wrote in message news:uiov6h$3lj2u$1@dont-email.me...
>
> Looking for a bit of instruction on timing pulley terminology.
> An otherwise-inidentifiable plastic pulley on a small air pump
> broke and it's somewhat difficult to search for replacements
> without knowing the correct lingo.
>
> -------------------------
>
> https://www.gates.com/content/dam/gates/home/knowledge-center/resource-library/brochure-sell-sheet/india/ptir-belt-id-chart.pdf

I feel a bit like the naval architect who watched his ship sink off the ways and
realized he'd forgotten to divide by two 8-)

The belt pitch isn't 10 mm, it's five. Dunno how I screwed that up.

Thanks for everyone's patience, things make better sense now.

bob prohaska

Re: Timing pulley terminology

<uirngg$98vg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9065&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9065

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 18:35:35 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 12 Nov 2023 23:35 UTC

"bob prohaska" wrote in message news:uiqulv$5e04$1@dont-email.me...

I feel a bit like the naval architect who watched his ship sink off the ways
and
realized he'd forgotten to divide by two 8-)

Titanic's architect went down with her. He was a replacement, the original
quit after management reduced the 64 lifeboats he had designed for to 16.
However the ship went under before they could launch the last of the boats
they did have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)