From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Padded Platen Part 2
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:41:15 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 20:41 UTC

I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I
order new bench top belt grinders. a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my
Harbor freight one.

Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42 I ran across this. I bought
one to see what its like.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3010/6131A59

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Padded Platen Part 2

<ukdo4u$21van$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9161&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9161

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Padded Platen Part 2
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:53:07 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 22:53 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:ukdgdb$20meg$1@dont-email.me...

I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I
order new bench top belt grinders. a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my
Harbor freight one.

Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42 I ran across this. I bought
one to see what its like.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3010/6131A59

Bob La Londe

------------------------------------

Those are reinforced. My orbital sander has a felt backing pad that seems to
increase sandpaper tearing when sanding edges and corners.

I like surface conditioning pads on a 2" air sander. 3M sells the stuff as
sanding belts:
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Surface-Conditioning-Length-Medium/dp/B0002FU8MS

Re: Padded Platen Part 2

<ukdp70$222it$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9162&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9162

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 16:11:28 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 23:11 UTC

On 12/1/2023 3:53 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:ukdgdb$20meg$1@dont-email.me...
>
> I may still add a "soft" pad to the platen on a sander, but recently I
> order new bench top belt grinders.  a 1x42 and a 1x30 similar to my
> Harbor freight one.
>
> Then when ordering some belts for the 1x42 I ran across this.  I bought
> one to see what its like.
>
> https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3010/6131A59
>
> Bob La Londe
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Those are reinforced. My orbital sander has a felt backing pad that
> seems to increase sandpaper tearing when sanding edges and corners.
>
> I like surface conditioning pads on a 2" air sander. 3M sells the stuff
> as sanding belts:
> https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-Surface-Conditioning-Length-Medium/dp/B0002FU8MS

I've used surface conditioning belts on the HF 1x30 before. I have to
help it start the first 50 times or so before it will start on its own.
They just don't run very well on most 1" sanders. Some belts I can
never get to start and run. They are thick, and they don't bend as well
as regular cloth belts. If I ever get around to building a real 2HP or
stronger 2x72 I might give surface conditioning belts a try again.

The HF is going to get used to build a two wheel 1x30 when the new belt
grinders arrive. One of the holes in the frame is so wallowed I can no
longer tighten up the tracking wheel mounting bolt enough to keep it
from slopping around.

Anyway I thought this soft belt might flex enough to rough polish an
extruded surface.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Padded Platen Part 2

<ukf5qn$2bjea$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9165&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9165

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 06:52:44 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:52 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:ukdp70$222it$1@dont-email.me...

....One of the holes in the frame is so wallowed I can no
longer tighten up the tracking wheel mounting bolt enough to keep it
from slopping around.
-----------------------------------

I've fixed that problem by finding a rod or drill shank of a diameter that
matched the unworn side of the hole and using it to center the hole position
under the mill spindle, then boring the area for a more durable bushing.

Re: Padded Platen Part 2

<ukfs8e$2f0u3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9170&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9170

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:15:41 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:15 UTC

On 12/2/2023 4:52 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:ukdp70$222it$1@dont-email.me...
>
> ...One of the holes in the frame is so wallowed I can no
> longer tighten up the tracking wheel mounting bolt enough to keep it
> from slopping around.
> -----------------------------------
>
> I've fixed that problem by finding a rod or drill shank of a diameter
> that matched the unworn side of the hole and using it to center the hole
> position under the mill spindle, then boring the area for a more durable
> bushing.

I may just save the motor and pitch it, but for now I am thinking 1/4
steel plate new frame (with a bushing), and two wheel setup like a
bandsaw. Of course if I do that then I didn't really need the 1x42 I
ordered. LOL.

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned, the last time I fixed it the
casting broke shortly after and the table fell off. I've been using it
like that, and I actually like it a bit better. I should have pitched
the table years ago. I never use it anyway. I pretty much free hand
anything on the bench grinders or bench top belt grinders.

I only use fixturing on the D-bit grinder, and surface grinder. I guess
I kept the table "just in case."

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff