He's dead, Jim. -- McCoy, "The Devil in the Dark", stardate 3196.1

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Metalworking , sorta

SubjectAuthor
* Metalworking , sortaSnag
+* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|`* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
| `* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|  +* Re: Metalworking , sortaClare Snyder
|  |+* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|  ||`- Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  |`* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  | +* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|  | |`* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  | | `* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|  | |  +- Re: Metalworking , sortaClare Snyder
|  | |  `* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  | |   `* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|  | |    `* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  | |     `- Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|  | `* Re: Metalworking , sortaClare Snyder
|  |  `- Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|  `* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|   `* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|    +* Re: Metalworking , sortaLeon Fisk
|    |`- Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|    +* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|    |`* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|    | `* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|    |  `- Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|    `* Re: Metalworking , sortaBob La Londe
|     +- Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|     `* Re: Metalworking , sortaClare Snyder
|      +- Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|      `* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|       +* Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|       |`- Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|       `* Re: Metalworking , sortaClare Snyder
|        `* Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag
|         +- Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
|         `- Re: Metalworking , sortaJim Wilkins
`- Re: Metalworking , sortaSnag

Pages:12
Metalworking , sorta

<umput0$1d4i1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9327&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9327

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Metalworking , sorta
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:34:39 -0600
 by: Snag - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 20:34 UTC

I'm finally getting around to changing out the gears in my truck axle
.. The "metalworking" part is that I have to make a device to hold the
drive line yoke while I torque the nut . The rest is just spinnin'
wrenches and measuring things . Fortunately (or maybe a missed
opportunity) I have all the tools needed to do the job . Might have to
fabricate a mount for the dial indicator to check lash but that's about
it . The plan is to pull the axle and work on it in the shop . A little
more work in some ways , a lot easier in others . One thing that will be
easier is getting the last bit of welding done on my exhaust system .
And welding in a pair of cutouts while it's out from under the truck .
I'm debating putting a limited slip diff in while I'm in there ,,, an
additional 200 bucks or so , and where I live it's not a bad idea . It
will also give be braggin' rights with the neighbors ... I'm awaiting a
response from a vendor right now about the unit I want to purchase .
Any shortcuts or helpful techniques welcome .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umq0d2$1cqhf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9329&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9329

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Metalworking , sorta
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 14:00:18 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

On 12/30/2023 1:34 PM, Snag wrote:
> A little more work in some ways , a lot easier in others.

Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umq9i7$1efrb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9334&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9334

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 18:36:23 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 30 Dec 2023 23:36 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:umq0d2$1cqhf$1@dont-email.me...

On 12/30/2023 1:34 PM, Snag wrote:
> A little more work in some ways , a lot easier in others.

Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.
Bob La Londe
------------------------------------
The bed has been off my 1991 Ranger many times. I cut a 2x6 to catch the
inner lip of the sides and put a used (straightened) house electric drop
eyebolt in the center. The shop crane rolls under either the side or end far
enough to hook the eyebolt with the boom retracted. The bed is light enough
to turn upside down to repair lower edge rust easily. A few years ago I
removed the gas tank and replaced the brake line that ran past it with
NiCopp, the fuel pump, level sender and fuel filter, and greased the
replacement U joints, all done easily from above. With practice and lubed
threads removing the bed takes only about ten minutes.

It helps a lot that older Ranger beds bolt on from above. I use the bolts to
attach the jib crane mount. My logging trailer isn't heavy or stable enough
to benefit from the crane but it was a great help for winching logs back to
the truck, over the slash and skidder wheel ruts that blocked using a
wheelbarrow.
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Remove-Rusted-or-Seized-Truck-Bed-Bolts/

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umqou0$1kcbj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9337&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9337

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:58:55 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 03:58 UTC

On 12/30/2023 5:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:umq0d2$1cqhf$1@dont-email.me...
>
> On 12/30/2023 1:34 PM, Snag wrote:
>> A little more work in some ways , a lot easier in others.
>
> Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
> Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
> Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
> butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.
> Bob La Londe
> ------------------------------------
> The bed has been off my 1991 Ranger many times. I cut a 2x6 to catch the
> inner lip of the sides and put a used (straightened) house electric drop
> eyebolt in the center. The shop crane rolls under either the side or end
> far enough to hook the eyebolt with the boom retracted. The bed is light
> enough to turn upside down to repair lower edge rust easily. A few years
> ago I removed the gas tank and replaced the brake line that ran past it
> with NiCopp, the fuel pump, level sender and fuel filter, and greased
> the replacement U joints, all done easily from above. With practice and
> lubed threads removing the bed takes only about ten minutes.
>
> It helps a lot that older Ranger beds bolt on from above. I use the
> bolts to attach the jib crane mount. My logging trailer isn't heavy or
> stable enough to benefit from the crane but it was a great help for
> winching logs back to the truck, over the slash and skidder wheel ruts
> that blocked using a wheelbarrow.
> https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Remove-Rusted-or-Seized-Truck-Bed-Bolts/

I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<lhq1pitmtd6qooohl8fjatsaade15ep5e9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9338&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9338

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 23:17:36 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 04:17 UTC

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:58:55 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>On 12/30/2023 5:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
>> "Bob La Londe"  wrote in message news:umq0d2$1cqhf$1@dont-email.me...
>>
>> On 12/30/2023 1:34 PM, Snag wrote:
>>> A little more work in some ways , a lot easier in others.
>>
>> Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
>> Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
>> Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
>> butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.
>> Bob La Londe
>> ------------------------------------
>> The bed has been off my 1991 Ranger many times. I cut a 2x6 to catch the
>> inner lip of the sides and put a used (straightened) house electric drop
>> eyebolt in the center. The shop crane rolls under either the side or end
>> far enough to hook the eyebolt with the boom retracted. The bed is light
>> enough to turn upside down to repair lower edge rust easily. A few years
>> ago I removed the gas tank and replaced the brake line that ran past it
>> with NiCopp, the fuel pump, level sender and fuel filter, and greased
>> the replacement U joints, all done easily from above. With practice and
>> lubed threads removing the bed takes only about ten minutes.
>>
>> It helps a lot that older Ranger beds bolt on from above. I use the
>> bolts to attach the jib crane mount. My logging trailer isn't heavy or
>> stable enough to benefit from the crane but it was a great help for
>> winching logs back to the truck, over the slash and skidder wheel ruts
>> that blocked using a wheelbarrow.
>> https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Remove-Rusted-or-Seized-Truck-Bed-Bolts/
>>

> I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
moment coaxing it out of line!!

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umqs50$1klpr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9339&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9339

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2023 22:53:51 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 04:53 UTC

On 12/30/2023 10:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:58:55 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/2023 5:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

>>> Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
>>> Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
>>> Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
>>> butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.
>>> Bob La Londe
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> The bed has been off my 1991 Ranger many times. I cut a 2x6 to catch the
>>> inner lip of the sides and put a used (straightened) house electric drop
>>> eyebolt in the center. The shop crane rolls under either the side or end
>>> far enough to hook the eyebolt with the boom retracted. The bed is light
>>> enough to turn upside down to repair lower edge rust easily. A few years
>>> ago I removed the gas tank and replaced the brake line that ran past it
>>> with NiCopp, the fuel pump, level sender and fuel filter, and greased
>>> the replacement U joints, all done easily from above. With practice and
>>> lubed threads removing the bed takes only about ten minutes.
>>>
>>> It helps a lot that older Ranger beds bolt on from above. I use the
>>> bolts to attach the jib crane mount. My logging trailer isn't heavy or
>>> stable enough to benefit from the crane but it was a great help for
>>> winching logs back to the truck, over the slash and skidder wheel ruts
>>> that blocked using a wheelbarrow.
>>> https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Remove-Rusted-or-Seized-Truck-Bed-Bolts/
>>>

>> I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
> Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
> moment coaxing it out of line!!

I think it can be a definite advantage here . I don't drive a lot of
dirt/gravel roads except the mile or so up to the highway . It can be
challenging after a good rain .
It'll also help when I let the neighbors coax me into a drag race .
They're all putting flowmasters and loud mufflers on stock pickups .
Mine's relatively quiet . Until I open the header dumps . I understand
that it doesn't really give you any more power , but the psychological
effect on the other guy ...
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umrqmv$1o6ti$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9341&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9341

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 08:35:11 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:35 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:umqou0$1kcbj$1@dont-email.me...

I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
Snag
-------------------------------
A neighbor fastened a plank between two forest trees to lift heavy equipment
on and off trucks with a chainfall. 1 ton has proven to be a handy size, 2
tons is much slower and a lot of awkward weight to hang up with one hand
while on a ladder. I store them in unbreakable rubber farm buckets that are
easy to carry and they keep the hand chain out of the dirt/mud in use. Both
are imports similar to the ones HF sells and have given no trouble. I've
loaded the 1 ton to its rating and the 2 ton to at least 2800 Lbs, likely
much more.

I move the bed off the truck but except for not being street legal the
bed-less truck could be driven to a more convenient place to work on it. On
mine removing three screws disconnects the gas filler from the bed and the
locking cap can stay on to keep water out and gas in. There is one lighting
connector behind the bumper that's accessible with the bed slightly lifted.
If the bed was left hanging outdoors I'd put sawhorses under the front to
keep it raised enough to not fill with rain water. A board on the frame
between the bed and cab will protect the paint from scratches.

My shop crane is a commercial one that was easy to modify into a towable
off-pavement trailer. The mast end caster is a trailer tongue jack with
added wheels and a tow bar for manhandling on an extended axle. I don't know
how well the HF shop crane would do for this.
https://ibid.illinois.gov/item.php?id=169461
I paid $100 for it at a local auction. The boom extension was bent and
wouldn't retract so I turned it over, chained it to the legs and
straightened it. It's hoisted some V8s and engine-powered welders for
neighbors.

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<ums344$1p9re$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9342&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9342

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:58:57 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 15:58 UTC

On 12/31/2023 7:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag"  wrote in message news:umqou0$1kcbj$1@dont-email.me...
>
>   I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
> Snag
> -------------------------------
> A neighbor fastened a plank between two forest trees to lift heavy
> equipment on and off trucks with a chainfall. 1 ton has proven to be a
> handy size, 2 tons is much slower and a lot of awkward weight to hang up
> with one hand while on a ladder. I store them in unbreakable rubber farm
> buckets that are easy to carry and they keep the hand chain out of the
> dirt/mud in use. Both are imports similar to the ones HF sells and have
> given no trouble. I've loaded the 1 ton to its rating and the 2 ton to
> at least 2800 Lbs, likely much more.
>
> I move the bed off the truck but except for not being street legal the
> bed-less truck could be driven to a more convenient place to work on it.
> On mine removing three screws disconnects the gas filler from the bed
> and the locking cap can stay on to keep water out and gas in. There is
> one lighting connector behind the bumper that's accessible with the bed
> slightly lifted. If the bed was left hanging outdoors I'd put sawhorses
> under the front to keep it raised enough to not fill with rain water. A
> board on the frame between the bed and cab will protect the paint from
> scratches.
>
> My shop crane is a commercial one that was easy to modify into a towable
> off-pavement trailer. The mast end caster is a trailer tongue jack with
> added wheels and a tow bar for manhandling on an extended axle. I don't
> know how well the HF shop crane would do for this.
> https://ibid.illinois.gov/item.php?id=169461
> I paid $100 for it at a local auction. The boom extension was bent and
> wouldn't retract so I turned it over, chained it to the legs and
> straightened it. It's hoisted some V8s and engine-powered welders for
> neighbors.

I have the A frame that I used to pull the motor and a pair of cable
hoists ... I was thinking about this early this morning while the dog
was trying to get me out of bed ... I can use one hoist on each side and
4 of my ratchet straps (one on each corner) to pick the bed up high
enough to drive out from under it . I was surprised to find the bed
weight is around 500 pounds or a bit more , I thought it was more like
1000 pounds . I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<ums9ki$1q2pg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9343&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9343

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:50:09 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 17:50 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:58:57 -0600
Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

<snip>
>I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
>think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
>axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
>it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
>without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
>other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
>month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...

See if this image helps with wiring:

https://i.postimg.cc/9QWw5ry7/1986-Chevy-Fleetside-Harness.png

Also give your fuel tank/s a hard look. I changed out one of mine from
below and cutting an access hole in the bed for hoses/wires. It was a
pain but far easier than taking the bed off...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsaet$1qa2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9344&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9344

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:03:56 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:03 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:ums344$1p9re$1@dont-email.me...

[...]

The tricky part is aligning the bolt holes when you reinstall it, there
isn't much to go by from above except lining the bed up to the cab. However
it's suspended, it should be fairly free to swing or turn in all directions
and be lowered and raised a little at a time.

If the A frame is 2" pipe, strap clamps for 2-3/8" chain link fence posts
should fit it to let you tie the two widely spread feet together. They need
to be further apart to lift the bed clear of the frame than to pull an
engine. I didn't use mine to lift the bed because the heavy pipes are too
liable to be dropped while trying to set them up. The hoist for a 2" pipe
frame can be a boat trailer winch attached to the pipe with muffler clamps.

While I had the bed off I bolted tie down eyes to the web of the frame below
the cab-bed gap.

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsb3v$1qcv4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9345&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9345

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:15:24 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:15 UTC

On 12/31/2023 11:50 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 09:58:57 -0600
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
>> think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
>> axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
>> it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
>> without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
>> other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
>> month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...
>
> See if this image helps with wiring:
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/9QWw5ry7/1986-Chevy-Fleetside-Harness.png
>
> Also give your fuel tank/s a hard look. I changed out one of mine from
> below and cutting an access hole in the bed for hoses/wires. It was a
> pain but far easier than taking the bed off...

It's a lot less work than I was thinking ... one plug for the wiring
, 4 screws on the gas filler , and 4 bolts into the chassis . I'd
probably have it off by now if the battery hadn't died this morning .
Well , not such a big surprise , that battery is 8 years old .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umscup$1qkjr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9346&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9346

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:46:46 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:46 UTC

On 12/31/2023 12:03 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "Snag"  wrote in message news:ums344$1p9re$1@dont-email.me...
>
>   I have the A frame that I used to pull the motor and a pair of cable
> hoists ... I was thinking about this early this morning while the dog
> was trying to get me out of bed ... I can use one hoist on each side and
> 4 of my ratchet straps (one on each corner) to pick the bed up high
> enough to drive out from under it . I was surprised to find the bed
> weight is around 500 pounds or a bit more , I thought it was more like
> 1000 pounds . I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
> think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
> axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
> it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
> without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
> other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
> month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...
> Snag
>
> The tricky part is aligning the bolt holes when you reinstall it, there
> isn't much to go by from above except lining the bed up to the cab.
> However it's suspended, it should be fairly free to swing or turn in all
> directions and be lowered and raised a little at a time.
>
> If the A frame is 2" pipe, strap clamps for 2-3/8" chain link fence
> posts should fit it to let you tie the two widely spread feet together.
> They need to be further apart to lift the bed clear of the frame than to
> pull an engine. I didn't use mine to lift the bed because the heavy
> pipes are too liable to be dropped while trying to set them up. The
> hoist for a 2" pipe frame can be a boat trailer winch attached to the
> pipe with muffler clamps.
>
> While I had the bed off I bolted tie down eyes to the web of the frame
> below the cab-bed gap.

The A frame is actually 2 2x8 A frames with a double 8 foot 2x8
crossbeam . I might have to move one of the 2x4 angle braces a little
for clearance . Actually that brace can go away since I'm not on a slope
this time .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsdck$1qhct$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9347&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9347

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:54:11 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:54 UTC

On 12/30/2023 9:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 21:58:55 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12/30/2023 5:36 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

>>> Yep... if I ever have to install a lift pump in a 90s 3/4 ton Cummins
>>> Dodge pickup again I am just going to take the bed off the truck.
>>> Dropping the tank and getting it back in place is a crazy pain in the
>>> butt.... and I wound up dropping the tank three times.
>>> Bob La Londe
>>> ------------------------------------
>>> The bed has been off my 1991 Ranger many times. I cut a 2x6 to catch the
>>> inner lip of the sides and put a used (straightened) house electric drop
>>> eyebolt in the center. The shop crane rolls under either the side or end
>>> far enough to hook the eyebolt with the boom retracted. The bed is light
>>> enough to turn upside down to repair lower edge rust easily. A few years
>>> ago I removed the gas tank and replaced the brake line that ran past it
>>> with NiCopp, the fuel pump, level sender and fuel filter, and greased
>>> the replacement U joints, all done easily from above. With practice and
>>> lubed threads removing the bed takes only about ten minutes.
>>>
>>> It helps a lot that older Ranger beds bolt on from above. I use the
>>> bolts to attach the jib crane mount. My logging trailer isn't heavy or
>>> stable enough to benefit from the crane but it was a great help for
>>> winching logs back to the truck, over the slash and skidder wheel ruts
>>> that blocked using a wheelbarrow.
>>> https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Remove-Rusted-or-Seized-Truck-Bed-Bolts/
>>>

>> I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
> Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
> moment coaxing it out of line!!

*** WARNING - MANY TANGENTS INCOMING ***

Except for some of the crew cabs any pickup truck without a load is
likely to let loose on you in marginal conditions with only mildly
aggressive driving or even "frim" normal driving.

My first car was a 1967 Ford Cortina (English) GT. It had been in a
rollover before I got it, and I never fixed it up more than was
necessary to pop the windshields in and not bump my head on the roof. I
did slap 60s tires on it all the way around for more stability and
better traction which was totally wasted until I put a couple bags of
concrete in the trunk.

Pickup trucks almost always handle better with a load.

Most of you old guys probably know this too. If unloaded they will
climb a steep dirt grade better in reverse. Even with some load. My
dad once pissed a guy off who tried three times to top a hill in his old
Ford F100. My dad said, "I bet I can do it."

The angry retort was, "I'll bet you $100 you can't." 1st try, good
run, in reverse. Right to the top.

I knew it would work, because when I was very little I saw my dad do it
to come up out of the canyon at Virgil Corly's old mining claim on Lynx
Creek. We had camped down there (with Mr Corly's permission). His 1957
Dodge step side with the split hood just wouldn't make it up the hill.
He made my mom and I get out, and then he reversed it up the hill at
speed. That was with some load. It had our cooler, camping equipment,
and placer gear in the back.

That was also the truck my mom taught me how to drive with. You wagged
the steering to go straight, and it had such a loose shifter that it was
further than I could reach without leaning over to put it in reverse.
That was already with a pop crate on the seat behind me so I could reach
the pedals. My dad traded that truck for a 42 Willys. I'd rather have
the truck today, but he has been offered (and turned down) stupid
amounts of money for the Jeep.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsdrn$1qojp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9348&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9348

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:02:13 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:02 UTC

On 12/31/2023 12:54 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 12/30/2023 9:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>>    I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>>> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>>> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>>> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside
>>> though .
>>    Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
>> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
>> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
>> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
>> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
>> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
>> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
>> moment coaxing it out of line!!
>
> *** WARNING - MANY TANGENTS INCOMING ***
>
> Except for some of the crew cabs any pickup truck without a load is
> likely to let loose on you in marginal conditions with only mildly
> aggressive driving or even "frim" normal driving.
>
> My first car was a 1967 Ford Cortina (English) GT.  It had been in a
> rollover before I got it, and I never fixed it up more than was
> necessary to pop the windshields in and not bump my head on the roof.  I
> did slap 60s tires on it all the way around for more stability and
> better traction which was totally wasted until I put a couple bags of
> concrete in the trunk.
>
> Pickup trucks almost always handle better with a load.
>
> Most of you old guys probably know this too.  If unloaded they will
> climb a steep dirt grade better in reverse.  Even with some load.  My
> dad once pissed a guy off who tried three times to top a hill in his old
> Ford F100.  My dad said, "I bet I can do it."
>
> The angry retort was, "I'll bet you $100 you can't."   1st try, good
> run, in reverse.  Right to the top.
>
> I knew it would work, because when I was very little I saw my dad do it
> to come up out of the canyon at Virgil Corly's old mining claim on Lynx
> Creek.  We had camped down there (with Mr Corly's permission).  His 1957
> Dodge step side with the split hood just wouldn't make it up the hill.
> He made my mom and I get out, and then he reversed it up the hill at
> speed. That was with some load.  It had our cooler, camping equipment,
> and placer gear in the back.
>
> That was also the truck my mom taught me how to drive with.  You wagged
> the steering to go straight, and it had such a loose shifter that it was
> further than I could reach without leaning over to put it in reverse.
> That was already with a pop crate on the seat behind me so I could reach
> the pedals.  My dad traded that truck for a 42 Willys.  I'd rather have
> the truck today, but he has been offered (and turned down) stupid
> amounts of money for the Jeep.

Dad had a '57 Willys Jeep pickup ... my brother gave it away after
Dad died - or so he said . This truck probably won't see inclement
conditions so much , it's a toy and I'll probably only play with it in
nice weather .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsdtn$1qhcs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9349&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9349

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:03:19 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:03 UTC

On 12/30/2023 9:53 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 12/30/2023 10:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>>    I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>>> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>>> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>>> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside
>>> though .
>>    Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
>> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
>> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
>> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
>> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
>> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
>> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
>> moment coaxing it out of line!!
>>

>   I think it can be a definite advantage here . I don't drive a lot of
> dirt/gravel roads except the mile or so up to the highway . It can be
> challenging after a good rain .
>   It'll also help when I let the neighbors coax me into a drag race .
> They're all putting flowmasters and loud mufflers on stock pickups .
> Mine's relatively quiet . Until I open the header dumps . I understand
> that it doesn't really give you any more power , but the psychological
> effect on the other guy ...

Where we are now its only 1/4 mile to the paved road. My gravel and
crushed concrete driveway is better than the road in front of our
property, but the road isn't bad. I do worry about my wife sometimes.
She is from wet country (Michigan) and she gets annoyed with local
drivers who "don't know how to drive when in the rain." Any old biker
should know this, but when it starts to rain the dust, oil, and sludge
on the road turn into super lube. Because it rarely rains here that
happens every single time it rains. People here (some of them anyway)
do know how to drive in the rain... HERE. I'm less worried about her on
dirt, because dirt and sand drives like snow. Super lube doesn't drive.
Best you can do until it washes away is sort of herd your vehicle.
Since often it just rains enough to get the road a little wet and
stop... I have to remind her of that every time I ride with her in the
rain and she starts complaining that Yumans don't know how to drive in
the rain. Bothers me that I always have to say it. I take roads that
drain well when it rain, and still almost always see accidents from
people who think driving in Yuma rain is like driving in Oregon rain.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umse4e$1qhcs$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9350&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9350

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:06:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:06 UTC

On 12/31/2023 12:02 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 12/31/2023 12:54 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

>>>    Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
>>> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
>>> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
>>> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
>>> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
>>> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
>>> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
>>> moment coaxing it out of line!!
>>
>> *** WARNING - MANY TANGENTS INCOMING ***
>>
>> Except for some of the crew cabs any pickup truck without a load is
>> likely to let loose on you in marginal conditions with only mildly
>> aggressive driving or even "frim" normal driving.
>>
>> My first car was a 1967 Ford Cortina (English) GT.  It had been in a
>> rollover before I got it, and I never fixed it up more than was
>> necessary to pop the windshields in and not bump my head on the roof.
>> I did slap 60s tires on it all the way around for more stability and
>> better traction which was totally wasted until I put a couple bags of
>> concrete in the trunk.
>>
>> Pickup trucks almost always handle better with a load.
>>
>> Most of you old guys probably know this too.  If unloaded they will
>> climb a steep dirt grade better in reverse.  Even with some load.  My
>> dad once pissed a guy off who tried three times to top a hill in his
>> old Ford F100.  My dad said, "I bet I can do it."
>>
>> The angry retort was, "I'll bet you $100 you can't."   1st try, good
>> run, in reverse.  Right to the top.
>>
>> I knew it would work, because when I was very little I saw my dad do
>> it to come up out of the canyon at Virgil Corly's old mining claim on
>> Lynx Creek.  We had camped down there (with Mr Corly's permission).
>> His 1957 Dodge step side with the split hood just wouldn't make it up
>> the hill. He made my mom and I get out, and then he reversed it up the
>> hill at speed. That was with some load.  It had our cooler, camping
>> equipment, and placer gear in the back.
>>
>> That was also the truck my mom taught me how to drive with.  You
>> wagged the steering to go straight, and it had such a loose shifter
>> that it was further than I could reach without leaning over to put it
>> in reverse. That was already with a pop crate on the seat behind me so
>> I could reach the pedals.  My dad traded that truck for a 42 Willys.
>> I'd rather have the truck today, but he has been offered (and turned
>> down) stupid amounts of money for the Jeep.
>>

>   Dad had a '57 Willys Jeep pickup ...

I remember the first time somebody told me their dad had a Jeep pickup.
I had never heard of such a thing and thought they were pulling my leg.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umseas$1qhcs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9351&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9351

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:10:20 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:10 UTC

On 12/31/2023 8:58 AM, Snag wrote:
> [...]
> hoists ... I was thinking about this early this morning while the dog
> was trying to get me out of bed ... I can use one hoist on each side and
> 4 of my ratchet straps (one on each corner) to pick the bed up high
> enough to drive out from under it . I was surprised to find the bed
> weight is around 500 pounds or a bit more , I thought it was more like
> 1000 pounds . I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
> think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
> axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
> it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
> without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
> other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
> month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...

I've lifted an almost 3000lb boat off a trailer with an engine hoist
(cherry picker) and set it on cross beams setting on saw horses. I'm
sure you can manage a pickup bed if you decided that's the easiest way
to do what you need to do.

Never mind those pesky wires. That's what side cutters are for.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsfvl$1r0qh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9352&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9352

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:38:29 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:38 UTC

On 12/31/2023 1:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 12/31/2023 12:02 PM, Snag wrote:

>>    Dad had a '57 Willys Jeep pickup ...
>
> I remember the first time somebody told me their dad had a Jeep pickup.
> I had never heard of such a thing and thought they were pulling my leg.

Dad embarrassed more than one hotshot in a hopped up 4X4 with that
Jeep . One time in particular , we watched truck after truck attack this
one hill . Dad had swapped the stock flathead mill for a Tornado 230 OHC
motor . He popped the hand throttle out to about 1500-1800 RPM , dropped
the jeep into low range/2nd gear and proceeded to crawl up that hill
without once breaking traction . We could hear the screams and curses
and "How did he do that!" as we putted of into the sunset .
It ain't always what ya got as much as how ya use it . Those boys
thought that if ya got 600 horses ya gotta use 'em all ...

--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<83h3pip859h61dljgm1kvb80hvhu1phfb4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9353&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9353

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:50:19 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:50 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:54:11 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 12/30/2023 9:17 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

>>> I seriously considered pulling the bed , but I don't really have the
>>> lifting equipment for that . After checking what that bed weighs - less
>>> than I thought - I may revisit that idea . It would definitely make part
>>> of the exhaust work easier . Still plan to do the gear swap inside though .
>> Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
>> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
>> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
>> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
>> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
>> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
>> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
>> moment coaxing it out of line!!
>
>*** WARNING - MANY TANGENTS INCOMING ***
>
>Except for some of the crew cabs any pickup truck without a load is
>likely to let loose on you in marginal conditions with only mildly
>aggressive driving or even "frim" normal driving.
>
>My first car was a 1967 Ford Cortina (English) GT. It had been in a
>rollover before I got it, and I never fixed it up more than was
>necessary to pop the windshields in and not bump my head on the roof. I
>did slap 60s tires on it all the way around for more stability and
>better traction which was totally wasted until I put a couple bags of
>concrete in the trunk.
>
>Pickup trucks almost always handle better with a load.
>
>Most of you old guys probably know this too. If unloaded they will
>climb a steep dirt grade better in reverse. Even with some load. My
>dad once pissed a guy off who tried three times to top a hill in his old
>Ford F100. My dad said, "I bet I can do it."
>
>The angry retort was, "I'll bet you $100 you can't." 1st try, good
>run, in reverse. Right to the top.
>
>I knew it would work, because when I was very little I saw my dad do it
>to come up out of the canyon at Virgil Corly's old mining claim on Lynx
>Creek. We had camped down there (with Mr Corly's permission). His 1957
>Dodge step side with the split hood just wouldn't make it up the hill.
>He made my mom and I get out, and then he reversed it up the hill at
>speed. That was with some load. It had our cooler, camping equipment,
>and placer gear in the back.

If it was a '57 it didn't have a split hood. The 56 was the last
split - the '57 was the first "alligator" hood, the first with pull
out door handles and the last with single headlights.
I had a '57
>That was also the truck my mom taught me how to drive with. You wagged
>the steering to go straight, and it had such a loose shifter that it was
>further than I could reach without leaning over to put it in reverse.
>That was already with a pop crate on the seat behind me so I could reach
>the pedals. My dad traded that truck for a 42 Willys. I'd rather have
>the truck today, but he has been offered (and turned down) stupid
>amounts of money for the Jeep.

I wish I still had the old "penguin" too (it was metallic black with
a pearl white roof and mirrors and a white tonneau) Had a quarter
million miles on it in '76 when I drove it to Tulsa for the street rod
nationals - sold it a few years later - had the "big" flathead six and
3 on the tree

>--
>Bob La Londe
>CNC Molds N Stuff

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umsgmc$1r465$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9354&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9354

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:50:34 -0600
 by: Snag - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:50 UTC

On 12/31/2023 1:10 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> [...]
>> was more like 1000 pounds . I'll have to figure out where the wiring
>> plug is but I think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm
>> going to pull the axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the
>> bed off will make it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on
>> the exhaust system without removing it from the truck . Six of one and
>> half a dozen of the other , either way I think this is going to have
>> the truck down for a month or more . What the hell , I did without a
>> truck for five years ...
>

> I've lifted an almost 3000lb boat off a trailer with an engine hoist
> (cherry picker) and set it on cross beams setting on saw horses.  I'm
> sure you can manage a pickup bed if you decided that's the easiest way
> to do what you need to do.
>
> Never mind those pesky wires.  That's what side cutters are for.

Not necessarily the easiest , but gives me the best access to what I
plan to do . Got a couple of exhaust joints that aren't fully welded and
I'd like to install a crossover pipe .
Oh , and that wiring disconnect is right out in the open and easily
accessed . I'll pass on the side cutters .
--
Snag
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<8lh3pip4ohmkcluc1qsrbek28p5r6gfkvn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9355&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9355

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:54:32 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:54 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 12:10:20 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

> [...]
>> weight is around 500 pounds or a bit more , I thought it was more like
>> 1000 pounds . I'll have to figure out where the wiring plug is but I
>> think it's at the rear of the bed . I still think I'm going to pull the
>> axle and work on it inside the shop . And having the bed off will make
>> it a lot less work to do the remaining welding on the exhaust system
>> without removing it from the truck . Six of one and half a dozen of the
>> other , either way I think this is going to have the truck down for a
>> month or more . What the hell , I did without a truck for five years ...
>

>I've lifted an almost 3000lb boat off a trailer with an engine hoist
>(cherry picker) and set it on cross beams setting on saw horses. I'm
>sure you can manage a pickup bed if you decided that's the easiest way
>to do what you need to do.
>
>Never mind those pesky wires. That's what side cutters are for.

My buddy's front end loader on the 165 massey made short work of
swapping the box on the Ranger

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<fph3pi1gtch71r40lvpqhjfmk0tqatcd1m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9356&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9356

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 14:57:03 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 19:57 UTC

On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:38:29 -0600, Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>On 12/31/2023 1:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 12/31/2023 12:02 PM, Snag wrote:
>

>>>    Dad had a '57 Willys Jeep pickup ...
>>
>> I remember the first time somebody told me their dad had a Jeep pickup.
>> I had never heard of such a thing and thought they were pulling my leg.
>>

> Dad embarrassed more than one hotshot in a hopped up 4X4 with that
>Jeep . One time in particular , we watched truck after truck attack this
>one hill . Dad had swapped the stock flathead mill for a Tornado 230 OHC
>motor . He popped the hand throttle out to about 1500-1800 RPM , dropped
>the jeep into low range/2nd gear and proceeded to crawl up that hill
>without once breaking traction . We could hear the screams and curses
>and "How did he do that!" as we putted of into the sunset .
> It ain't always what ya got as much as how ya use it . Those boys
>thought that if ya got 600 horses ya gotta use 'em all ...

That Jeep and my old Fargo were both charter members of the SPCA -
Stump Pullers Club of America. Could idle the old beast away in second
gear.

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umshi4$1r6nr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9357&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9357

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:05:24 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:05 UTC

On 12/31/2023 12:38 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 12/31/2023 1:06 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
>> On 12/31/2023 12:02 PM, Snag wrote:
>

>>>    Dad had a '57 Willys Jeep pickup ...
>>
>> I remember the first time somebody told me their dad had a Jeep
>> pickup. I had never heard of such a thing and thought they were
>> pulling my leg.
>>

>   Dad embarrassed more than one hotshot in a hopped up 4X4 with that
> Jeep . One time in particular , we watched truck after truck attack this
> one hill . Dad had swapped the stock flathead mill for a Tornado 230 OHC
> motor . He popped the hand throttle out to about 1500-1800 RPM , dropped
> the jeep into low range/2nd gear and proceeded to crawl up that hill
> without once breaking traction . We could hear the screams and curses
> and "How did he do that!" as we putted of into the sunset .
>   It ain't always what ya got as much as how ya use it . Those boys
> thought that if ya got 600 horses ya gotta use 'em all ...

A couple times we tracked people lost in the desert. Often with boots
on the ground, and that old Jeep putting along behind unmanned. Once in
a while one of us would go turn in a direction change or take a rest
when in the Jeep the trail was clear, but it would roll over just about
anything putting along at 2MPH.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umshq3$1r6nr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9358&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9358

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:09:38 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 20:09 UTC

On 12/31/2023 12:50 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:54:11 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
> wrote:

>>> Definitely spring for the posi - it will go almost anywhere a 4wd
>>> without posi will go.. Takes a bit of getting used to though - you no
>>> longer have a "rudder" when the wheels break loose and you MIGHT find
>>> yourself getting crosswize occaisionally untill you get used to it -
>>> particularly on an unloaded pick'm-up. I have posi on the Ranger but
>>> also a fiberglass cap and bed liner to hold the backside down a bit.
>>> Mixed blessing if you get it rotating thogh because there is a larger
>>> moment coaxing it out of line!!
>>
>> *** WARNING - MANY TANGENTS INCOMING ***
>>
>> Except for some of the crew cabs any pickup truck without a load is
>> likely to let loose on you in marginal conditions with only mildly
>> aggressive driving or even "frim" normal driving.
>>
>> My first car was a 1967 Ford Cortina (English) GT. It had been in a
>> rollover before I got it, and I never fixed it up more than was
>> necessary to pop the windshields in and not bump my head on the roof. I
>> did slap 60s tires on it all the way around for more stability and
>> better traction which was totally wasted until I put a couple bags of
>> concrete in the trunk.
>>
>> Pickup trucks almost always handle better with a load.
>>
>> Most of you old guys probably know this too. If unloaded they will
>> climb a steep dirt grade better in reverse. Even with some load. My
>> dad once pissed a guy off who tried three times to top a hill in his old
>> Ford F100. My dad said, "I bet I can do it."
>>
>> The angry retort was, "I'll bet you $100 you can't." 1st try, good
>> run, in reverse. Right to the top.
>>
>> I knew it would work, because when I was very little I saw my dad do it
>> to come up out of the canyon at Virgil Corly's old mining claim on Lynx
>> Creek. We had camped down there (with Mr Corly's permission). His 1957
>> Dodge step side with the split hood just wouldn't make it up the hill.
>> He made my mom and I get out, and then he reversed it up the hill at
>> speed. That was with some load. It had our cooler, camping equipment,
>> and placer gear in the back.
>>
> If it was a '57 it didn't have a split hood. The 56 was the last
> split - the '57 was the first "alligator" hood, the first with pull
> out door handles and the last with single headlights.

I always remember it being called a 57, but I guess it could have been a
56. It definitely had a split hood. I clearly remember my mom with one
hood open trying to get it started when it stalled in traffic. I was 7
or 8 when it was traded away. I was 8 when my dad gave me a brand new
socket set for Christmas. Right Christmas he told me disassemble the
motor with my new socket set that he had pulled out of the Jeep.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Metalworking , sorta

<umssmg$1sjft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9360&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9360

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 18:15:12 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 23:15 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:umscup$1qkjr$1@dont-email.me...

The A frame is actually 2 2x8 A frames with a double 8 foot 2x8
crossbeam . I might have to move one of the 2x4 angle braces a little
for clearance . Actually that brace can go away since I'm not on a slope
this time .
Snag

Like a big sawhorse or gantry hoist? That should be excellent for lifting
the bed. You could attach swivel caster tongue jacks to the legs to raise it
to roll around and then lower it to rest solidly.