From: e8905652859ed0b6776382bd2fcfd062@example.com (PennyMc)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Kroy 80k Lettering machine
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:46:26 +0000
 by: PennyMc - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 00:46 UTC

I used to work with the machines all the time. You had a big circular
plastic disc with the letters in raised plastic on the back. You rotated the disc to reach the letter you wanted, and then clicked on (something?
Damn, I forgot) There was also a typewriter machine that would print out letters on transparent tape. I was my first day on a brand new job.
Very cold introduction. Creepy guys. Then I went over to the drafting typewriter that printed out the tapes and began banging away. All of a sudden, every man there was staring at me. I asked my new boss if my slip was showing or something. He said "No, that's the fastest anybody has ever worked on that machine." I went back to my desk, thought a bit, and went back to boss. Said "I quit! I'm a drafter and technical illustrator and graphic artist. But these guys will turn me into their personal typist, and I won't do that. Besides, I've never in my life been so coldly treated when going to a new job. Sorry, but I'm outa here!" I packed up and left. Went back to my old job. Maybe they treated the next person a little better. And by the way, the place I left so fast? A major engineering company.

--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalworking/kroy-80k-lettering-machine-554403-.htm

Re: Kroy 80k Lettering machine

<unm51a$2geg0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9443&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9443

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:10:48 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 13:10 UTC

"PennyMc" wrote in message

Besides, I've never in my life been so coldly treated when going to a new
job. Sorry, but I'm outa here!" I packed up and left.

---------------------------

In high tech establishments those without STEM skills are replaceable
commodities, a concept my father told me about after attending management
classes. The clerical staff tended to be noticeably insecure about their job
security while I think the tech staff watched out for themselves and ignored
the others unless they needed something. At times I became the designated
liaison between engineering and production because the engineers plainly
didn't want to deal with the very sarcastic girls. If I wanted them to do
something particularly delicate I had to demonstrate by doing it myself
first, then they couldn't let me embarrass them. My theatre experience with
touchy and difficult people paid off.

Since I lack formal credentials I've often had to prove myself to be
accepted. At Mitre I was tasked to explore a reported problem with equipment
used on a satellite link. I set up a bit error test of 10 million bits at
2400 bits per second and waited for the result. Soon an engineer asked when
I would be finished tying up the link, and I mentally calculated that the
test would take 1 hour, 9 minutes and 26.7 seconds, because I had memorized
reciprocals to do mental division and convert fractions to decimals, period
to frequency, etc. He tried to check and then admitted he didn't know where
to start. That finally earned me respect and soon I was accepted as a
circuit designer. They were mainly radio engineers while I had learned
computerized measurement. I was the right person in the right place when
radio became digital, as in cell phones.

While I understand the physics it was still weird to watch signals disappear
into empty space and return noticeably later, fully intact.

Re: Kroy 80k Lettering machine

<unmomt$2jioo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9445&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9445

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:46:53 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:46 UTC

On 1/10/2024 6:10 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> "PennyMc"  wrote in message
>
> Besides, I've never in my life been so coldly treated when going to a
> new job. Sorry, but I'm outa here!" I packed up and left.
>
> ---------------------------
>
> In high tech establishments those without STEM skills are replaceable
> commodities, a concept my father told me about after attending
> management classes. The clerical staff tended to be noticeably insecure
> about their job security while I think the tech staff watched out for
> themselves and ignored the others unless they needed something. At times
> I became the designated liaison between engineering and production
> because the engineers plainly didn't want to deal with the very
> sarcastic girls. If I wanted them to do something particularly delicate
> I had to demonstrate by doing it myself first, then they couldn't let me
> embarrass them. My theatre experience with touchy and difficult people
> paid off.
>
> Since I lack formal credentials I've often had to prove myself to be
> accepted. At Mitre I was tasked to explore a reported problem with
> equipment used on a satellite link. I set up a bit error test of 10
> million bits at 2400 bits per second and waited for the result. Soon an
> engineer asked when I would be finished tying up the link, and I
> mentally calculated that the test would take 1 hour, 9 minutes and 26.7
> seconds, because I had memorized reciprocals to do mental division and
> convert fractions to decimals, period to frequency, etc. He tried to
> check and then admitted he didn't know where to start. That finally
> earned me respect and soon I was accepted as a circuit designer. They
> were mainly radio engineers while I had learned computerized
> measurement. I was the right person in the right place when radio became
> digital, as in cell phones.
>
> While I understand the physics it was still weird to watch signals
> disappear into empty space and return noticeably later, fully intact.

I always find it interesting how little quality support staff is valued.
The higher the "skill" level of the "workers" the worse it seems to
be. In the medical profession for example the single most frequent
complaint AHEAD OF malpractice, maiming, and death is unpleasant front
office staff. They also have the highest turnover. Not because of
firing, but because they quit. Their poor attitude is projected on
clients, a frightened mother with a sick kid fights back, and it all
goes badly. This is indirectly the fault of the staff, but its more
directly the fault of the managers, doctors, nurses, and other "skilled"
workers for not appreciating and respecting the fact that those front
office staff are important and the face of the whole business.

My wife had her own medical practice for 25+ years (now she works for a
clinic owned by hospital), and she had low turnover and high client
ratings. She paid her staff better than entry level workers, and took
the time to explain that they were as important to the patient
experience as any other person there. This really translates to any
business. I'm terrible as a personnel manager. I just expect you to do
it right, and if I tell you how you did it wrong understand that next
time I expect you to do it right, and here is what you did wrong.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: Kroy 80k Lettering machine

<unmskt$2k9ag$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9446&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9446

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 14:53:47 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:unmomt$2jioo$1@dont-email.me...

An Army officer's memoir stated that some people respond rationally to
logic, others emotionally to threats, and to be effective a manager needs to
control both, but not the same way.

Re: Kroy 80k Lettering machine

<655upihqva1liu2ir2h7f77rjfal7vbi4b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9449&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9449

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:14:39 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 22:14 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:46:53 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

> [...]
>goes badly. This is indirectly the fault of the staff, but its more
>directly the fault of the managers, doctors, nurses, and other "skilled"
>workers for not appreciating and respecting the fact that those front
>office staff are important and the face of the whole business.
>
>My wife had her own medical practice for 25+ years (now she works for a
>clinic owned by hospital), and she had low turnover and high client
>ratings. She paid her staff better than entry level workers, and took
>the time to explain that they were as important to the patient
>experience as any other person there. This really translates to any
>business. I'm terrible as a personnel manager. I just expect you to do
>it right, and if I tell you how you did it wrong understand that next
>time I expect you to do it right, and here is what you did wrong.

Reminds me of an experience I had. I was a licesed mechanic and had
"moved up" to the service manager's position. After a number of years
another larger local dealership was advertising for a service manager
and I thought "what the heck - let's see what they have to offer"
Went for interview and the job was mine for the taking -so I asked
what the position payed. He asked what I needed, and I told him if I
wasn't worth $40,000 within the first 6 months, forget it.
His reply was "service managersdon't make $40,000. My reply was "here
is one that does" and as I turned to leave I told him "i know how your
sales department works - doesn't matter HOW much a salesman sells, the
lowestselling guy in the dealership every quarter is OUT - Right????"
he sheepishly nodded in agreement - and I told him "your BEST salesman
sells your customer his FIRST car - I sell him Number 2, 3, and 4"

They went through at least 3 service managers in the next 2 years.