"The way of the world is to praise dead saints and prosecute live ones." -- Nathaniel Howe

tech / rec.crafts.metalworking / Re: I hate condensate

SubjectAuthor
* I hate condensateSnag
+* Re: I hate condensateLeon Fisk
|+* Re: I hate condensateSnag
||+- Re: I hate condensateLeon Fisk
||`- Re: I hate condensateJim Wilkins
|`* Re: I hate condensateClare Snyder
| `- Re: I hate condensateSnag
`* Re: I hate condensateBob La Londe
 +- Re: I hate condensateClare Snyder
 `- Re: I hate condensateSnag

1
I hate condensate

<us37ue$2pqch$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9605&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9605

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: I hate condensate
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:25:29 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 01:25 UTC

I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
.. Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
fuel filters .
I'm open to suggestions on how the get rid of the rust* ... I'm
leaning towards a product that has phosphoric acid since I've read it
leaves a (semi rust resistant?) phosphate layer .
Whatever I use I plant to coat the tank with either POR15 , Kreem ,
or similar coating . Again , suggestions welcome .
*I put a few feet of chain in there and kinda-sorta shook it around
and it took some off .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but

Re: I hate condensate

<us4ehf$34one$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9609&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9609

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: I hate condensate
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:24:14 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:24 UTC

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:25:29 -0600
Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

>I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
>. Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
>fuel filters .
<snip>

Yeah, that sucks🙁

I have a gas station ~3.5 miles away and always try to fill the tank on
last ride and then home. Drain the carbs (Honda Magna with 4) and smear
some Sil-Glyde grease around the fill port. Think I've just been lucky
though or haven't looked at it hard enough...

Wonder if you could mount the tank on a paint can shaker with some
media inside🤔

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: I hate condensate

<us4gnv$35dc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9611&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9611

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 07:01:48 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:01 UTC

On 3/4/2024 6:24 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:25:29 -0600
> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
>> . Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
>> fuel filters .
> <snip>
>
> Yeah, that sucks🙁
>
> I have a gas station ~3.5 miles away and always try to fill the tank on
> last ride and then home. Drain the carbs (Honda Magna with 4) and smear
> some Sil-Glyde grease around the fill port. Think I've just been lucky
> though or haven't looked at it hard enough...
>
> Wonder if you could mount the tank on a paint can shaker with some
> media inside🤔

That thought has crossed my mind ... but the logistics of mounting it
if I had a shaker are a bit daunting . I did bust loose some of the rust
with a length of chain . I need to rinse the tank out and see just how
much rust remains . I'll probably end up using a chemical agent , I'm
just not sure which one is best for this task .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: I hate condensate

<us4jhm$34one$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9612&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9612

From: lfiskgr@gmail.invalid (Leon Fisk)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:49:42 -0400
 by: Leon Fisk - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:49 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 07:01:48 -0600
Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:

<snip>
> I'll probably end up using a chemical agent , I'm
>just not sure which one is best for this task .

Don't know if it's the best... but I've heard that Evaporust works
pretty well. You can buy it at most HF stores.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

Might want to price a replacement tank too. I did some general
searching, mainly looking for stainless steel versions (didn't find
any) and some can be had for ~$130 as bare metal🤷

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Re: I hate condensate

<us50iv$38uih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9613&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9613

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 12:31:49 -0500
 by: Jim Wilkins - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 17:31 UTC

"Snag" wrote in message news:us4gnv$35dc9$1@dont-email.me...

That thought has crossed my mind ... but the logistics of mounting it
if I had a shaker are a bit daunting . I did bust loose some of the rust
with a length of chain . I need to rinse the tank out and see just how
much rust remains . I'll probably end up using a chemical agent , I'm
just not sure which one is best for this task .
Snag

-----------------------------

Mild: Army coffee stripped rust from the once-galvanized steel sink. Coca
Cola or Mojo Criollo meat marinade might also work.

Strong: Hydrochloric (pool) acid cleaned the rust from a neighbor's corroded
fertilizer spreader in a flash. Baking soda neutralizes the acid.

Re: I hate condensate

<us59lb$3asec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9614&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9614

From: none@none.com99 (Bob La Londe)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:07:08 -0700
 by: Bob La Londe - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 20:07 UTC

On 3/3/2024 6:25 PM, Snag wrote:
>   I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
> . Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
> fuel filters .
>   I'm open to suggestions on how the get rid of the rust* ... I'm
> leaning towards a product that has phosphoric acid since I've read it
> leaves a (semi rust resistant?) phosphate layer .
>   Whatever I use I plant to coat the tank with either POR15 , Kreem ,
> or similar coating . Again , suggestions welcome .
>   *I put a few feet of chain in there and kinda-sorta shook it around
> and it took some off .

Didn't we have a conversation here some time back where most agreed
Kreem was not a great product. Maybe it was over in the RMH VB&G.

--
Bob La Londe
CNC Molds N Stuff

www.avg.com

Re: I hate condensate

<n1gcuitdlefqbd5i0199bu1qlga2j652eh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9616&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9616

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 16:48:11 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 21:48 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:24:14 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:25:29 -0600
>Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>
>>I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
>>. Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
>>fuel filters .
><snip>
>
>Yeah, that sucks?
>
>I have a gas station ~3.5 miles away and always try to fill the tank on
>last ride and then home. Drain the carbs (Honda Magna with 4) and smear
>some Sil-Glyde grease around the fill port. Think I've just been lucky
>though or haven't looked at it hard enough...
>
>Wonder if you could mount the tank on a paint can shaker with some
>media inside?
Dill the tank with gas - ride it home and top it up with Marvel
Mystery Oil (or ATF or 2 stroke oil) and shake it up a bit and the
tank won't rust.

As for what you have now, get a couple dozen 1/4" nuts and about a
dozen 5/16" nuts and put them in the tank then shake it around. Add
half a gallon ofdeisel or stove oil or kerosine and shake it some
more, Put it upside down on padding in the back of the truck for a few
days driving back and forth to town on rough roads and the rust should
be pretty well done. Perhaps finish it off with some evaporust or
metal prep

Re: I hate condensate

<4ggcui1d2jes0oghobh3vopi3f73droo79@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9617&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9617

From: clare@snyder.on.ca (Clare Snyder)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2024 16:55:57 -0500
 by: Clare Snyder - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 21:55 UTC

On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:07:08 -0700, Bob La Londe <none@none.com99>
wrote:

>On 3/3/2024 6:25 PM, Snag wrote:
>>   I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
>> . Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
>> fuel filters .
>>   I'm open to suggestions on how the get rid of the rust* ... I'm
>> leaning towards a product that has phosphoric acid since I've read it
>> leaves a (semi rust resistant?) phosphate layer .
>>   Whatever I use I plant to coat the tank with either POR15 , Kreem ,
>> or similar coating . Again , suggestions welcome .
>>   *I put a few feet of chain in there and kinda-sorta shook it around
>> and it took some off .
>
>Didn't we have a conversation here some time back where most agreed
>Kreem was not a great product. Maybe it was over in the RMH VB&G.
>

>--
>Bob La Londe
>CNC Molds N Stuff
get a new tank and have it hot galvanized - or even electr-zinc
plated inside - or do what I just did on a tank I built. I got a small
tub of "tinning flux" and put it in the tank then heated it just
enough to melt the flux and turned the tank untill it was pretty much
coated all around inside then chopped ap a bunch of flux core wire
solder into 1/2" lengthsand threw that in - then put the tank on the
Bar_B_Q to heat to melt the salder and rotated the tank in 3 or 4 Axis
to get the solder running all around the inside of the tank then
poured out all the remaining flux and solder. Got better than 95%
coverage on a first try. The 70/30 lead solder should prevent rust for
a few decades - or more.

Re: I hate condensate

<us5iog$3cnbq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9618&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9618

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:42:20 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

On 3/4/2024 3:48 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Mar 2024 08:24:14 -0400, Leon Fisk <lfiskgr@gmail.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 19:25:29 -0600
>> Snag <Snag_one@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the winter
>>> . Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to plug the
>>> fuel filters .
>> <snip>
>>
>> Yeah, that sucks?
>>
>> I have a gas station ~3.5 miles away and always try to fill the tank on
>> last ride and then home. Drain the carbs (Honda Magna with 4) and smear
>> some Sil-Glyde grease around the fill port. Think I've just been lucky
>> though or haven't looked at it hard enough...
>>
>> Wonder if you could mount the tank on a paint can shaker with some
>> media inside?
> Dill the tank with gas - ride it home and top it up with Marvel
> Mystery Oil (or ATF or 2 stroke oil) and shake it up a bit and the
> tank won't rust.
>
> As for what you have now, get a couple dozen 1/4" nuts and about a
> dozen 5/16" nuts and put them in the tank then shake it around. Add
> half a gallon ofdeisel or stove oil or kerosine and shake it some
> more, Put it upside down on padding in the back of the truck for a few
> days driving back and forth to town on rough roads and the rust should
> be pretty well done. Perhaps finish it off with some evaporust or
> metal prep

I did a bit of mechanical removal/loosening with a chunk of chain ...
I need to detergent (pressure?) wash and rinse well to see how much is
left to remove . There's a pretty big hole in the bottom of the tank for
the pump unit , but it only exposes half of the tank .
Gardening has gotten priority right now , I like to eat ... my own
home grown without a bunch of chemicals food .
--
Snag
"They may take our lives but
they'll never take our freedom."
William Wallace

Re: I hate condensate

<us5jmn$3cse7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9619&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9619

From: Snag_one@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 16:58:28 -0600
 by: Snag - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 22:58 UTC

On 3/4/2024 2:07 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
> On 3/3/2024 6:25 PM, Snag wrote:
>>    I left the Sportster with about 2/3 of a tank of gas over the
>> winter . Guess how much of the tank is rusty and shedding enough to
>> plug the fuel filters .
>>    I'm open to suggestions on how the get rid of the rust* ... I'm
>> leaning towards a product that has phosphoric acid since I've read it
>> leaves a (semi rust resistant?) phosphate layer .
>>    Whatever I use I plant to coat the tank with either POR15 , Kreem ,
>> or similar coating . Again , suggestions welcome .
>>    *I put a few feet of chain in there and kinda-sorta shook it around
>> and it took some off .
>
> Didn't we have a conversation here some time back where most agreed
> Kreem was not a great product.  Maybe it was over in the RMH VB&G.

Could well have been . I had to strip a Sportster tank a few years
ago when it started shedding chunks . I'm not sure yet just what I want
to do . It's only the top third of the tank that's rusted ... I keep
non-ethanol premium gas here for the yard motors , maybe I better get in
the habit of topping off when I get home . We didn't have this
condensation problem when I lived in the high mountain desert in
northern Utahahaha .