From: <bp@www.zefox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Jacobs super chuck question
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:35:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: <bp@www.zefox.net> - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:35 UTC

I have a knurled-sleeve Jacobs No. 1 Super Chuck which came
to my hands among tooling for a lathe. The chuck has a small
slotted screw in back end, near the outer perimeter, roughly
parallel to the shank.

Anybody have an idea what it's for? I don't think any Jacobs
chucks used screws from the factory. First thought was maybe
a rotation stop to prevent putting a wildly-wrong drill in
a production setup, but the chuck adjusts full range.

The question is mostly a matter of curiosity. The chuck looks
rather beat up, though it's not seized and the jaw surfaces
aren't obviously mangled. I'm not likely to use it soon....

Thanks for reading, and any ideas.

bob prohaska

Re: Jacobs super chuck question

<usvnst$1rc22$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9672&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9672

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Re: Jacobs super chuck question
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 16:49:05 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Thu, 14 Mar 2024 20:49 UTC

wrote in message news:ustd7j$16u57$2@dont-email.me...

I have a knurled-sleeve Jacobs No. 1 Super Chuck ...

---------------------

Does it have diamond knurling? I have a very old Jacobs that does, but no
extra screw in the back. Perhaps it was added to attach a work stop for
production?

Re: Jacobs super chuck question

<ut2mft$2hb8f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9686&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9686

From: <bp@www.zefox.net>
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:43:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: <bp@www.zefox.net> - Fri, 15 Mar 2024 23:43 UTC

Jim Wilkins <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:
> wrote in message news:ustd7j$16u57$2@dont-email.me...
>
> I have a knurled-sleeve Jacobs No. 1 Super Chuck ...
>
> ---------------------
>
> Does it have diamond knurling? I have a very old Jacobs that does, but no
> extra screw in the back. Perhaps it was added to attach a work stop for
> production?

Yes, it's diamond knurling. I took the screw out and looked inside,
the screw hole runs into the annular passage where the tails of the
jaws reside. No moving parts visible at all. The screw is very neatly
set so it doesn't alter the outline of the chuck significantly. Not
at all a hack job.

Could it have been to connect some kind of purge line, to keep debris
from getting into the chuck?

The whole chuck looks battered, as if it was used in an extremely
rough environment like a mine or quarry, or maybe a heavy blacksmith
shop. It moves freely when more than half open, closing it all the
way takes a key and some effort but no other tools.

The oddest artifact is three marks between the key pivot holes.
It looks as if the chuck was placed in a larger three jaw chuck
and squeezed until the larger jaws left impressions between the
pivot holes. Must have taken considerable force..

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska

Re: Jacobs super chuck question

<ut2q49$2hva7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/tech/article-flat.php?id=9687&group=rec.crafts.metalworking#9687

From: muratlanne@gmail.com (Jim Wilkins)
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 20:45:34 -0400
 by: Jim Wilkins - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 00:45 UTC

wrote in message news:ut2mft$2hb8f$1@dont-email.me...

Jim Wilkins <muratlanne@gmail.com> wrote:
> wrote in message news:ustd7j$16u57$2@dont-email.me...
>
> I have a knurled-sleeve Jacobs No. 1 Super Chuck ...
>
> ---------------------
>
> Does it have diamond knurling? I have a very old Jacobs that does, but no
> extra screw in the back. Perhaps it was added to attach a work stop for
> production?

Yes, it's diamond knurling. I took the screw out and looked inside,
the screw hole runs into the annular passage where the tails of the
jaws reside. No moving parts visible at all. The screw is very neatly
set so it doesn't alter the outline of the chuck significantly. Not
at all a hack job.

Could it have been to connect some kind of purge line, to keep debris
from getting into the chuck?

[Perhaps, or for oil feed for deep drilling. If so it likely would have had
small pipe threads]

The whole chuck looks battered, as if it was used in an extremely
rough environment like a mine or quarry, or maybe a heavy blacksmith
shop. It moves freely when more than half open, closing it all the
way takes a key and some effort but no other tools.

The oddest artifact is three marks between the key pivot holes.
It looks as if the chuck was placed in a larger three jaw chuck
and squeezed until the larger jaws left impressions between the
pivot holes. Must have taken considerable force..

Thanks for writing,

bob prohaska
I've seen a machinist leave his largest and heaviest lathe chuck on
permanently and grab smaller, more easily handled chucks in it. A chuck with
replaceable top jaws could have a set cut away to grab the Jacobs body, or
bolt shanks while clearing the head. I have a Jacobs that mounts on a
1-1/2 - 8 lathe spindle and holds small drills or work for hand filing or
polishing near the jaws. It also fits the spindle thread of a BS-0 indexer.

On a Multicraft at least the body is made from easily machined steel and not
hardened. I converted one into a collet closer spider to keep thin rods from
whipping, and chucked it by the nose while opening up the mounting end.