Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

arts / rec.arts.tv / Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

SubjectAuthor
* InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsBTR1701
+- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsAdam H. Kerman
+- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogstrotsky
+* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogssuper70s
|+* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsshawn
||`* Web of cries, was: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon'sdanny burstein
|| `- Re: Web of cries, was: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmshawn
|`* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsAdam H. Kerman
| `- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsshawn
`* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsanim8rfsk
 `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsshawn
  `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
   `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
    +- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsdanny burstein
    +- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsanim8rfsk
    +* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogstrotsky
    |`* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
    | +* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsDimensional Traveler
    | |`* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
    | | `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogsshawn
    | |  `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsAdam H. Kerman
    | |   `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsDimensional Traveler
    | |    +- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
    | |    `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsAdam H. Kerman
    | |     `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
    | |      +- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsDimensional Traveler
    | |      `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
    | |       `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogstrotsky
    | |        `- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
    | `- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogstrotsky
    `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
     `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
      `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
       `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
        `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
         `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
          `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP
           `* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
            +* Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsDimensional Traveler
            |`- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsmoviePig
            `- Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's DogsFPP

Pages:12
Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uuoe9i$19b2u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212651&group=rec.arts.tv#212651

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's
Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 01:55:14 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 08:55 UTC

On 4/4/2024 10:29 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>
>>> . . .
>
>> The sad thing is you can't always tell what the dog is going to do.
>
> You pay attention to the dog's ears, his head position, and his tail.
> They make it quite clear. Also, dogs pay attention TO YOU, so show
> leadership by standing tall with a proper stride. Don't approach the dog
> in a way he might feel threatened, like with your from above trying to
> pet the top of his head. If he's willing to be petted, he'll let you but
> do it from below eye level on his chest.
>
> Some dogs, like herding dogs, might be aggressive with their mouths,
> like grabbing wrists or ankles, but that's trying to dominate and not
> trying to kill. A dog that attacks the neck or face is quite dangerous.
>
>> I run into dogs being walked by their owners all the time and most dogs
>> are just happy to see anyone but I've run into a few who seemed like
>> they wanted some attention as they came over to me as I was walking by
>> but clearly didn't actually want to be touched. That's taught me to
>> always be cautious when going to pet a dog even though the owner is
>> right there so I'll keep my fingers closed in my hand just in case the
>> dog wants to take a nip.
>
> Right. NEVER offer dog a finger.

Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
friendly. Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
being aggressive.

>> That said I can't imagine why the guy is running around with a gun. If
>> he's just worried about pets attacking him a gun is massive overkill
>> when something like pepper spray would do the job and not cause
>> permanent harm or death.

If he's worried about being attacked by dogs he's in the wrong job.

dirty old man.

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<17c3586c059d1f10$125321$1768716$4ad50060@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212657&group=rec.arts.tv#212657

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 04:31:43 -0500
Subject: Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsingh@email.com (trotsky)
 by: trotsky - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:31 UTC

On 4/4/24 10:28 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 6:08 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> I don't want to believe there are people who'd shoot a dog with zero
>>> provocation, and I'm guessing a jury might not want to either.
>>
>> You're confused.  Try "not enough provocation."  A dog growling isn't
>> reason to execute it.
>
> "Not enough" is much more subjective than "zero".

Is a dog growling zero provaction? How about sticking to the real
world? If the guy shot a dog that wasn't even taking notice of him then
there's mental illness to consider. Life is complicated.

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uuounb$1d7he$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212675&group=rec.arts.tv#212675

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:35:39 -0400
 by: FPP - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 13:35 UTC

On 4/5/24 4:55 AM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:

>>> The sad thing is you can't always tell what the dog is going to do.
>>
>> You pay attention to the dog's ears, his head position, and his tail.
>> They make it quite clear. Also, dogs pay attention TO YOU, so show
>> leadership by standing tall with a proper stride. Don't approach the dog
>> in a way he might feel threatened, like with your from above trying to
>> pet the top of his head. If he's willing to be petted, he'll let you but
>> do it from below eye level on his chest.
>>
>> Some dogs, like herding dogs, might be aggressive with their mouths,
>> like grabbing wrists or ankles, but that's trying to dominate and not
>> trying to kill. A dog that attacks the neck or face is quite dangerous.
>>
>>> I run into dogs being walked by their owners all the time and most dogs
>>> are just happy to see anyone but I've run into a few who seemed like
>>> they wanted some attention as they came over to me as I was walking by
>>> but clearly didn't actually want to be touched. That's taught me to
>>> always be cautious when going to pet a dog even though the owner is
>>> right there so I'll keep my fingers closed in my hand just in case the
>>> dog wants to take a nip.
>>
>> Right. NEVER offer dog a finger.
>>
> Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
> dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
> friendly.  Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
> being aggressive.
>
>>> That said I can't imagine why the guy is running around with a gun. If
>>> he's just worried about pets attacking him a gun is massive overkill
>>> when something like pepper spray would do the job and not cause
>>> permanent harm or death.
>
> If he's worried about being attacked by dogs he's in the wrong job.

Proper response is to ignore the dog. Don't look at it, don't attempt
to touch it or go up to it.

If the dog wants to be friendly, it will come up to you. You don't make
eye contact unless they want to initiate contact.

This is the preferred method of approaching strange dogs. You don't.
Tail wagging doesn't mean friendly, it means excitement.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212676&group=rec.arts.tv#212676

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:37:51 -0400
 by: FPP - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 13:37 UTC

On 4/4/24 10:53 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/4/2024 8:06 PM, FPP wrote:

>>> No, I fail the voir dire.  But in this instance it's the word of the
>>> victim and only witness against the owners' speculative "certainty".
>>>

>> The guy doing the shooting is the one who needs to show his reason for
>> shooting in the first place.
>>
>> You don't want to believe that people treat animals badly?  Do you
>> live under a rock?
>
> I couldn't convict the guy based simply on my angry suspicions.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uupehp$1h5q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212692&group=rec.arts.tv#212692

From: ahk@chinet.com (Adam H. Kerman)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:05:45 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Adam H. Kerman - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:05 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>The sad thing is you can't always tell what the dog is going to do.

>>You pay attention to the dog's ears, his head position, and his tail.
>>They make it quite clear. Also, dogs pay attention TO YOU, so show
>>leadership by standing tall with a proper stride. Don't approach the dog
>>in a way he might feel threatened, like with your from above trying to
>>pet the top of his head. If he's willing to be petted, he'll let you but
>>do it from below eye level on his chest.

>>Some dogs, like herding dogs, might be aggressive with their mouths,
>>like grabbing wrists or ankles, but that's trying to dominate and not
>>trying to kill. A dog that attacks the neck or face is quite dangerous.

>>>I run into dogs being walked by their owners all the time and most dogs
>>>are just happy to see anyone but I've run into a few who seemed like
>>>they wanted some attention as they came over to me as I was walking by
>>>but clearly didn't actually want to be touched. That's taught me to
>>>always be cautious when going to pet a dog even though the owner is
>>>right there so I'll keep my fingers closed in my hand just in case the
>>>dog wants to take a nip.

>>Right. NEVER offer dog a finger.

>Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
>dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
>friendly. Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
>being aggressive.

Yes.

Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
fail to understand.

>>>. . .

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212726&group=rec.arts.tv#212726

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:15:50 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <IIydnQDcmb30Epb7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <1437748060.733782420.649436.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me> <17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com> <uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me> <17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com> <uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me> <17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com> <uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me>
From: never@nothere.com (moviePig)
 by: moviePig - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

<17c37bff7e798993$4759$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212727&group=rec.arts.tv#212727

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 16:23:40 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: never@nothere.com (moviePig)
 by: moviePig - Fri, 5 Apr 2024 20:23 UTC

On 4/5/2024 2:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> You pay attention to the dog's ears, his head position, and his tail.
>>> They make it quite clear. Also, dogs pay attention TO YOU, so show
>>> leadership by standing tall with a proper stride. Don't approach the dog
>>> in a way he might feel threatened, like with your from above trying to
>>> pet the top of his head. If he's willing to be petted, he'll let you but
>>> do it from below eye level on his chest.
>
>>> Some dogs, like herding dogs, might be aggressive with their mouths,
>>> like grabbing wrists or ankles, but that's trying to dominate and not
>>> trying to kill. A dog that attacks the neck or face is quite dangerous.

>>> Right. NEVER offer dog a finger.
>
>> Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
>> dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
>> friendly. Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
>> being aggressive.
>
> Yes.
>
> Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
> approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
> perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
> can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
> snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
> fail to understand.

If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since my
dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uuq83a$1mqrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=212755&group=rec.arts.tv#212755

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 18:21:49 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 6 Apr 2024 01:21 UTC

On 4/5/2024 1:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 2:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
>>> dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
>>> friendly.  Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
>>> being aggressive.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
>> approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
>> perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
>> can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
>> snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
>> fail to understand.

> If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
> parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since my
> dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.

And dogs are predators. Predators tend to have eyes in front to focus
on prey. Prey tends to have eyes on the sides to see predators coming.

In any event, I grew up with dogs. Almost all dobermans and rottweilers
(which are NOT the instinctive rabid killer attack dogs everyone thinks
they are). Crouching down a couple feet away and holding my hand out
for the dog to approach works 99% of the time in my experience and the
1% are dogs that no approach is going to work with.

dirty old man.

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uv3f5d$83o1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213115&group=rec.arts.tv#213115

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:17:33 -0400
<p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me>
<17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com>
<uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me>
<17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com>
<uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me>
<17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
<uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me>
<17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>
 by: FPP - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:17 UTC

On 4/5/24 4:15 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 9:37 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> I couldn't convict the guy based simply on my angry suspicions.
>>>

>> What provocation justifies killing an animal?  Because unless there
>> was some kind of justification, he shot a dog in the dog's own home.
>>
>> You condone abusing animals that haven't done anything to warrant it?
>
> In this instance, it seems to be a question of evidence, and there's
> only the victim's.  It'd take a helluva lot of testimony about past
> behavior -- probably about both victim and dog -- to outweigh that.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uv3f9p$83o1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213116&group=rec.arts.tv#213116

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 09:19:53 -0400
 by: FPP - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:19 UTC

On 4/5/24 4:23 PM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/5/2024 2:05 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> Generally you want to put your hand out, back of the hand towards the
>>> dog so it can smell you and let it come to you if it wants to be
>>> friendly.  Don't make a fist, dogs are smart enough to recognize that as
>>> being aggressive.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
>> approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
>> perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
>> can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
>> snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
>> fail to understand.

> If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
> parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since my
> dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.

You always let the dog come to the stranger, never the other way around.
You always let the dog do the sniffing, you don't offer your hand.

That's a great way to get bit. The dog has to be comfortable first
before you approach it.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible 25B.G.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek8kap93bmk0q5w/D%20U%20N%20E%20Part%20II.jpg?dl=0

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<17c4a6733c7c37db$1$3553870$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213144&group=rec.arts.tv#213144

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 11:32:52 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <IIydnQDcmb30Epb7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <1437748060.733782420.649436.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me> <17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com> <uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me> <17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com> <uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me> <17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com> <uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me> <17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com> <uv3f5d$83o1$1@dont-email.me>
From: never@nothere.com (moviePig)
 by: moviePig - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:32 UTC

<uv4ol3$i458$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213209&group=rec.arts.tv#213209

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 18:05:39 -0700
<p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me>
<17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com>
<uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me>
<17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com>
<uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me>
<17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
<uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me>
<17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>
<uv3f5d$83o1$1@dont-email.me>
<17c4a6733c7c37db$1$3553870$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 01:05 UTC

On 4/9/2024 8:32 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 9:17 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> In this instance, it seems to be a question of evidence, and there's
>>> only the victim's.  It'd take a helluva lot of testimony about past
>>> behavior -- probably about both victim and dog -- to outweigh that.
>>>

>> Not how things work, pig.  The guy who put the bullet in the dog has
>> to account for his actions, not the other way around.
>>
>> The burden isn't on the victim.
>>
>> You run down an old man in his back yard, you'd better have a pretty
>> good excuse.
>
> The shooter says the dog viciously menaced him.  What else is there?

Character references from neighbors and friends who knew the dog. 1
"bad dog" versus half-a-dozen "sweet loving pup".

Click here to read the complete article
Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<17c4cc666cc0f70f$46081$3331670$c0d58a68@news.newsdemon.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213231&group=rec.arts.tv#213231

Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:08:18 -0400
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
References: <IIydnQDcmb30Epb7nZ2dnZfqn_udnZ2d@giganews.com> <1437748060.733782420.649436.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me> <17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com> <uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me> <17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com> <uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me> <17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com> <uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me> <17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com> <uv3f5d$83o1$1@dont-email.me> <17c4a6733c7c37db$1$3553870$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com> <uv4ol3$i458$2@dont-email.me>
From: never@nothere.com (moviePig)
 by: moviePig - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 03:08 UTC

<uv8sm2$1o05o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213385&group=rec.arts.tv#213385

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 10:38:58 -0400
<p15q0j9t7p6v9oqg3912hnsj625l5uubah@4ax.com> <uuj99h$3rnmp$1@dont-email.me>
<17c2d83f594a4d02$139916$3265$48d50260@news.newsdemon.com>
<uum0nv$jodl$1@dont-email.me>
<17c31d7e35cbe777$33223$111488$4ed50460@news.newsdemon.com>
<uunfai$v0c0$3@dont-email.me>
<17c342b0976dff0b$51968$3384359$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
<uuourf$1d7he$6@dont-email.me>
<17c37b9208850f61$4758$3037545$10d55a65@news.newsdemon.com>
<uv3f5d$83o1$1@dont-email.me>
<17c4a6733c7c37db$1$3553870$c2d58868@news.newsdemon.com>
 by: FPP - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:38 UTC

On 4/9/24 11:32 AM, moviePig wrote:
> On 4/9/2024 9:17 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> In this instance, it seems to be a question of evidence, and there's
>>> only the victim's.  It'd take a helluva lot of testimony about past
>>> behavior -- probably about both victim and dog -- to outweigh that.
>>>

>> Not how things work, pig.  The guy who put the bullet in the dog has
>> to account for his actions, not the other way around.
>>
>> The burden isn't on the victim.
>>
>> You run down an old man in his back yard, you'd better have a pretty
>> good excuse.
>
> The shooter says the dog viciously menaced him.  What else is there?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<AIYRN.624274$Ama9.273507@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213459&group=rec.arts.tv#213459

Dogs
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
From: gmsingh@email.com (trotsky)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 16:35:35 -0500
 by: trotsky - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 21:35 UTC

On 4/9/24 8:19 AM, FPP wrote:
> On 4/5/24 4:23 PM, moviePig wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>>
>>> Barbara Woodhouse was against letting the dog sniff the back of the hand
>>> approaching from the front, as that's not enough for the dog not to
>>> perceive a threat. She recommended approaching from the side as the dog
>>> can get a better look at you. As their eyes are on either side of their
>>> snouts, they never look straight ahead with both eyes, something people
>>> fail to understand.

>> If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
>> parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since my
>> dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.
>>

> You always let the dog come to the stranger, never the other way around.
>  You always let the dog do the sniffing, you don't offer your hand.
>
> That's a great way to get bit.  The dog has to be comfortable first
> before you approach it.

Couldn't disagree more. You don't get bit because you offer your hand,
you get bit because the dog senses fear. 100%

Re: InstaCart Delivery Guy Shoots and Kills One of Angie Harmon's Dogs

<uvbirj$2duur$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=213527&group=rec.arts.tv#213527

From: fredp1571@gmail.com (FPP)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Dogs
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 11:09:37 -0400
 by: FPP - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:09 UTC

On 4/11/24 5:35 PM, trotsky wrote:
> On 4/9/24 8:19 AM, FPP wrote:

>>> If they don't look straight ahead with both eyes, then they don't see
>>> parallax 3D ...which I'm not prepared to accept, particularly since
>>> my dog watches me intently with both eyes, face-on.
>>>

>> You always let the dog come to the stranger, never the other way
>> around.   You always let the dog do the sniffing, you don't offer your
>> hand.
>>
>> That's a great way to get bit.  The dog has to be comfortable first
>> before you approach it.
>

> Couldn't disagree more.  You don't get bit because you offer your hand,
> you get bit because the dog senses fear.  100%

When we got a pitbull, we got a trainer.
(An ex-Marine dog trainer, in fact.)
We've consulted the American Kennel Club. They all say this.

> Let the Dog Approach You
>Rather than sticking your hand in the dog’s face or reaching out for pets, wait for the dog to come to you. If the dog approaches you, they are saying they want to meet you. If they hang back, respect they simply aren’t in the mood, despite what their owner said. Not all owners accurately read their dog’s emotional state and some mistakenly believe their anxious dog will get over their fear if enough people say hello. Let the dog have the final word.

> To make yourself appear as friendly as possible, turn your body slightly to the side and look at the dog with your peripheral vision. In dog language, head-on approaches and direct eye contact are threatening, so avoid them if possible. You can also kneel down to the dog’s level so you aren’t looming overhead. However, if you are in any way uncertain about the dog, stay standing. After all, kneeling will put your face at bite level.
>
> Dogs don’t shake hands like people do, they use their nose to say hello. So, hold your hand in a fist so they can approach and sniff if they choose. Don’t thrust your hand at the dog. They can smell you just fine from a distance, and the sudden movement could startle them.

Avoid eye contact. Don't approach the dog. The dog doesn't understand
your motives.

> Once the dog approaches, it’s finally time to greet them. But, be sure to do so in dog-appropriate ways. Restrict your pats to the dog’s side, neck, back, or chest. Avoid reaching over the dog’s head as that is frightening. And don’t hug or restrain the dog in any way. Most dogs dislike pats on the head and hugs. They might tolerate them from their family members, but strangers are a different story.
>
> Go slowly at first and keep your movements calm and steady. You don’t want to startle them. Read their body language to see whether they’ve had enough after a few moments or if they’re interested in further interaction. Hopefully, it will be clear if you’ve made a new friend.

> All kids should know the “Be a Tree” technique for whenever they encounter a dog on the loose. Be a Tree refers to standing still, with your arms tucked into your sides and your hands folded in front of you, while you look down. This is the safest posture for kids around a loose dog because they aren’t doing anything to threaten or spook the dog like making eye contact or triggering the dog’s chase response with movement

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/advice/how-to-safely-greet-a-strange-dog/

Yeah, I know... all dogs are different. But they're all dangerous too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0

Again, this is not the look of a dog that wants to have your hand stuck
in her face...