"If I do not want others to quote me, I do not speak." -- Phil Wayne

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: Who is taking over this newsgroup?

SubjectAuthor
* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Keith F. Lynch
+* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
|`* Who is taking over this newsgroup?The Doctor
| `- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
+* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Gary McGath
|+* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Tim Merrigan
||+* Who is taking over this newsgroup?The Doctor
|||`* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Scott Dorsey
||| `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Keith F. Lynch
|||  `- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Scott Dorsey
||`* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
|| `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Keith F. Lynch
||  +- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
||  `- Who is taking over this newsgroup?WolfFan
|`* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Mike Van Pelt
| `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Scott Dorsey
|  `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Mike Van Pelt
|   `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Keith F. Lynch
|    `- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Gary McGath
+- Who is taking over this newsgroup?WolfFan
+- Who is taking over this newsgroup?The Doctor
+* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Andy Leighton
|`* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
| `* Who is taking over this newsgroup?Gary McGath
|  `- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Blueshirt
`- Who is taking over this newsgroup?Joy Beeson

Pages:12
Re: Who is taking over this newsgroup?

<ukuv5l$1nn1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3902&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3902

From: garym@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Who is taking over this newsgroup?
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 06:37:24 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 11:37 UTC

On 12/7/23 10:27 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Mike Van Pelt <usenet@mikevanpelt.com> wrote:

>> The way I used to do it in trn:
>> /,.*,/KHNewsgroups:,
>
> The three of us can easily do that. But what about the many Usenet
> users who can't, e.g. those who use a web interface? The 616 (so far)
> messages crossposted into rasff from that TV show's group are likely
> to drive away every rasff regular who doesn't have access to killfiles,
> as they greatly outnumber messages about conventions, fanzines, and
> members of fandom.
>
> It's also likely to get every rasff regular to hate that show, or at
> least its fans.
>
> So again I ask fans of the show to please use only the appropriate
> newsgroup. Unless they want to be thought to be inconsiderate assholes.

That's been a problem with Usenet almost from the beginning. It used to
be worse before most spammers decided it's too obscure a niche to be
worth spamming. I think most people who have stuck it out here,
especially on this newsgroup, and have figured out one way or another to
get the annoying crossposts out of their sight. My approach is to filter
out specific newsgroups. It's currently 100% effective.

The people doing it most likely don't read rec.arts.sf.fandom, so they
won't see your request. If they see it, most of them won't care.

The flood has influenced my posting. I had thought of mentioning that
classic D***** W** and Babylon 5 are available for viewing at no cost on
Tubi, but until now had decided it was better not to add another mention
of the show.
--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com