Work smarter, not harder, and be careful of your speling.

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Google Groups shutting off usenet access

SubjectAuthor
* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJay E. Morris
+- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
|`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJay E. Morris
| `- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
| +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
| `* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessScott Dorsey
|  +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|  `* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
|   +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessSomeone Else
|   +* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessTim Merrigan
|   |`- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
|   `* Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|    `* Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessScott Dorsey
|     `- Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessGary McGath
|`- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessSteve Coltrin
+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shuttingeleeper@optonline.net
|+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetKeith F. Lynch
||`- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetThe Doctor
|+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetWolfFan
||`* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetBlueshirt
|| +- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetThe Doctor
|| `* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google GroupsGary McGath
||  `- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetBlueshirt
|`- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetTim Merrigan
`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJudith Latham
 `- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor

Pages:12
Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulgbau$1k6bt$2@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3942&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3942

From: morrisj@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Google Groups shutting off usenet access
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:49:18 -0600
 by: Jay E. Morris - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:49 UTC

Basically, not worth maintaining.

https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1

Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
Groups.

In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
servers.

This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulgcn0$2tc$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3943&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3943

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom,alt.tv.simpsons
Subject: Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 02:12:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 02:12 UTC

Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups
> (at groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe
> to Usenet groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to
> view and search for historical Usenet content posted before February
> 22, 2024 on Google Groups.

But, but, but, that would mean no more responses to alt.tv.simpsons
posts made 30 years earlier.

I was looking forward to multi-generation threads, in which person
A posts, person B replies decades later, then person A's grandchild
replies after a few more decades, then person B's great-grandchild
responds after another half century.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulgken$in7$10@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3944&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3944

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:24:55 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:24 UTC

In article <ulgbau$1k6bt$2@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
>Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>Groups.
>
>In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>servers.
>
>This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

22 or 15?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<79f13850-5e4d-43f6-b40e-79f6822ae57dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3945&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3945

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 01:30:16 -0800 (PST)
From: kevrob@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:30 UTC

On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:49:21 PM UTC-5, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

My feedback to that:

"Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone who
will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to donating it.
Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal to spam indiscrimanantly
is a major contributor to the "death of Usenet." Shutting off access to groups
such as soc.history.what-if in even read-only form has been a blow to the
community. Don't be evil my Aunt Fanny."

Like anyone will take that suggestion.

--
Kevin R

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhc7g$1sfut$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3946

From: garym@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 06:10:40 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 11:10 UTC

On 12/14/23 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.

Good to be rid of it, though it had reached the point of not making much
difference. For many years I filtered out all posts from Google Groups
because so much of it was spam and Google explicitly refused to act on
spam reports.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhpmi$1ufls$1@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3947&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3947

From: morrisj@epsilon3.comcon (Jay E. Morris)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:00:33 -0600
 by: Jay E. Morris - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:00 UTC

On 12/14/2023 10:24 PM, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <ulgbau$1k6bt$2@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
> Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.
>
> 22 or 15?

The answers page says Feb 22 but evidently the blurb that pops up on
Groups itself says the 15th. We'll see.

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhrg3$aar$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3948&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3948

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:31:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:31 UTC

Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
> "Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone
> who will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to
> donating it. Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal
> to spam indiscrimanantly is a major contributor to the "death of
> Usenet." Shutting off access to groups such as soc.history.what-if
> in even read-only form has been a blow to the community. Don't be
> evil my Aunt Fanny."

They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
Google accounts.

But I agree that it would be better if it was maintained by a more
reliable organization, one which didn't require an account. Better
yet, given how inexpensive disk space is these days, sell full copies
to anyone who wants them.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<m2le9vjvik.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3949&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3949

From: spcoltri@omcl.org (Steve Coltrin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:11:31 -0700
 by: Steve Coltrin - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:11 UTC

Door, ass, way out.
--
Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhts3$1kqu$54@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3950&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3950

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:11:47 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:11 UTC

In article <ulhc7g$1sfut$1@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
>On 12/14/23 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>

>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>
>Good to be rid of it, though it had reached the point of not making much
>difference. For many years I filtered out all posts from Google Groups
>because so much of it was spam and Google explicitly refused to act on
>spam reports.

GG Abuse will not be missed.

>--
>Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhtsk$1kqu$55@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3951&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3951

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:12:04 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:12 UTC

In article <ulhpmi$1ufls$1@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>On 12/14/2023 10:24 PM, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <ulgbau$1k6bt$2@epsilon3.eternal-september.org>,
>> Jay E. Morris <morrisj@epsilon3.comcon> wrote:
>>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>>

>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>>
>>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>>> Groups.
>>>
>>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.
>>
>> 22 or 15?
>
>The answers page says Feb 22 but evidently the blurb that pops up on
>Groups itself says the 15th. We'll see.

Hopefull 15 Feb is it!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhtul$1kqu$56@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3952&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3952

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:13:09 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:13 UTC

In article <ulhrg3$aar$1@reader2.panix.com>,
Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> "Donate the Usenet archive you took over from Deja.com to someone
>> who will maintain access to it. Maybe there is some tax benefit to
>> donating it. Google's refusal to ban users who used Google's portal
>> to spam indiscrimanantly is a major contributor to the "death of
>> Usenet." Shutting off access to groups such as soc.history.what-if
>> in even read-only form has been a blow to the community. Don't be
>> evil my Aunt Fanny."
>
>They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
>Google accounts.
>
>But I agree that it would be better if it was maintained by a more
>reliable organization, one which didn't require an account. Better
>yet, given how inexpensive disk space is these days, sell full copies
>to anyone who wants them.

OR just get a competent provider to do something right.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulhtv6$1kqu$57@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3953&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3953

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:13:26 -0000 (UTC)

In article <m2le9vjvik.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>,
Steve Coltrin <spcoltri@omcl.org> wrote:
>Door, ass, way out.
>--
>Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
> "A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel
> to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed."
> - Associated Press

Hear! Hear!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ulib71$du2$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3954&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3954

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 15 Dec 2023 19:59:29 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:59 UTC

Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
>Google accounts.

But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than a
decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible to find
many earlier articles which could previously be found with simple searches.
They are in there and if you know the message-id you might be able to
retrieve them, but just knowing the author and content is not enough to
find them.
--scott

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<ea949190-5640-454e-a30d-c8843f8eb7b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3955&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3955

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 13:00:24 -0800 (PST)
From: kevrob@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

On Friday, December 15, 2023 at 2:59:32 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Keith F. Lynch <k...@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
> >
> >They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
> >archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those with
> >Google accounts.

> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than a
> decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible to find
> many earlier articles which could previously be found with simple searches.
> They are in there and if you know the message-id you might be able to
> retrieve them, but just knowing the author and content is not enough to
> find them.

If you have a message ID, try

http://al.howardknight.net/

I've been trying to find a post I made in soc.history.what-if using
usenetarchives.com and having no luck. It was a parody of a Comics
Journal review of a comic strip collection, that I entitled
"Understanding Steve Sterling" and "Understanding Steve Stirling."
One was part of a longer thread. The other was a repost. Early in
the current century.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Kevin R

MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<c06cc470-634f-4957-87ba-1107a071ac15n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3959&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3959

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 21:03:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting
off usenet access)
From: evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com (eleeper@optonline.net)
 by: eleeper@optonline.ne - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 05:03 UTC

Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or a PDF.

On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:49:21 PM UTC-5, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<ulk3ns$ga1$1@reader2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3964&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3964

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:04:12 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:04 UTC

eleeper@optonline.net <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
> the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
> shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
> read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
> a PDF.

Please continue posting here until the February Google shutdown,
after which please subscribe me via plain text. Thanks.

If you haven't found another way to post before the shutdown, I
volunteer to post it here each week, and to forward any replies
to you.

Last Sunday's issue never appeared here on Panix, nor did any
replies to it.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<0001HW.2B2DCAD00159563F70000192938F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3965&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3965

Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 07:08:48 -0500
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
 by: WolfFan - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:08 UTC

On Dec 16, 2023, eleeper@optonline.net wrote
(in article<c06cc470-634f-4957-87ba-1107a071ac15n@googlegroups.com>):

> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID
> will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access.
> I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can
> ask for either plain text or a PDF.

Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are numerous free
newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free service and a free
newsreader, go. Problem done.

> On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:49:21 PM UTC-5, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> > Basically, not worth maintaining.
> >
> > https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=63838192147734422
> > 7-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
> >
> > Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> > groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> > groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> > for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> > Groups.
> >
> > In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> > associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> > support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> > servers.
> >
> > This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> > including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> > Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<ulkfc8$2tp6$21@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3970&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3970

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:22:48 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 15:22 UTC

In article <ulk3ns$ga1$1@reader2.panix.com>,
Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>eleeper@optonline.net <evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
>> the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
>> shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
>> read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
>> a PDF.
>
>Please continue posting here until the February Google shutdown,
>after which please subscribe me via plain text. Thanks.
>
>If you haven't found another way to post before the shutdown, I
>volunteer to post it here each week, and to forward any replies
>to you.
>
>Last Sunday's issue never appeared here on Panix, nor did any
>replies to it.

Just bolt from GG now!

>--
>Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
>Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<nnd$104a4145$6f097fb9@81cfbb904843123b>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3972&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3972

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:21:47 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:21 UTC

WolfFan wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2023, eleeper@optonline.net wrote
> (in
> article<c06cc470-634f-4957-87ba-1107a071ac15n@googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
> > the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
> > shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
> > read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
> > a PDF.
>
> Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are
> numerous free newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free
> service and a free newsreader, go. Problem done.

Free News servers:

https://www.eternal-september.org/

https://solani.org/

Free Newsreaders:

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<ulkjt0$65d$18@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3974&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3974

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:40:00 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:40 UTC

In article <nnd$104a4145$6f097fb9@81cfbb904843123b>,
Blueshirt <blueshirt@indigo.news> wrote:
>WolfFan wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 2023, eleeper@optonline.net wrote
>> (in
>> article<c06cc470-634f-4957-87ba-1107a071ac15n@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>> > Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
>> > the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
>> > shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
>> > read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
>> > a PDF.
>>
>> Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are
>> numerous free newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free
>> service and a free newsreader, go. Problem done.
>
>Free News servers:
>
>https://www.eternal-september.org/
>

>https://solani.org/
>

>Free Newsreaders:
>
>https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
>

>https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html

I will charge only for the VPN.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<ulkm3a$2g4tk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3975&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3975

From: garym@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups
shutting off usenet access)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 12:17:30 -0500
 by: Gary McGath - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:17 UTC

On 12/16/23 11:21 AM, Blueshirt wrote:
> WolfFan wrote:
>
>> On Dec 16, 2023, eleeper@optonline.net wrote
>> (in
>> article<c06cc470-634f-4957-87ba-1107a071ac15n@googlegroups.com>):
>>
>>> Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet,
>>> the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups
>>> shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to
>>> read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or
>>> a PDF.
>>
>> Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are
>> numerous free newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a free
>> service and a free newsreader, go. Problem done.
>
> Free News servers:
>
> https://www.eternal-september.org/
>

> https://solani.org/
>

> Free Newsreaders:
>
> https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
>

> https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html

There was a recent discussion of options in this newsgroup under the
subject "Usenet providers."
--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<nnd$2a12d6d0$38bfde16@2002f5a4096cb312>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3977&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3977

From: blueshirt@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:48:39 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 17:48 UTC

Gary McGath wrote:

> On 12/16/23 11:21 AM, Blueshirt wrote:
> > WolfFan wrote:
> > >
> > > Eternal September is a free newsfeed, one of many. There are
> > > numerous free newsreaders for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pick a
> > > free service and a free newsreader, go. Problem done.
> >
> > Free News servers:
> >
> > https://www.eternal-september.org/
> >

> > https://solani.org/
> >

> > Free Newsreaders:
> >
> > https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/
> >

> > https://mpgravity.sourceforge.net/index.html
>

> There was a recent discussion of options in this newsgroup under
> the subject "Usenet providers."

And there will be plenty more here before February I'm sure...

Re: MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access)

<4hurni1ep5j1spvq0s61je4i2hhaqoge52@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=3979&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#3979

From: tppm@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 11:39:03 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sat, 16 Dec 2023 19:39 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 21:03:31 -0800 (PST), "eleeper@optonline.net"
<evelynchimelisleeper@gmail.com> wrote:

>Unless someone points me to a different way to post to Usenet, the MT VOID will no longer be posted here after the Google Groups shutdown of its access. I suggest people who wish to continue to read it subscribe directly; you can ask for either plain text or a PDF.
>
>On Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 8:49:21?PM UTC-5, Jay E. Morris wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>
>> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

You could subscribe to a News server, e.g Eternal September, and, if
you don't have a news reader, text messages can be read on Thunderbird
(I don't know about other mail readers).
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<um5evd$jvq$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4021&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4021

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:00:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:00 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>> They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>> archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those
>> with Google accounts.

> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than
> a decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible
> to find many earlier articles which could previously be found with
> simple searches. They are in there and if you know the message-id
> you might be able to retrieve them, but just knowing the author and
> content is not enough to find them.

Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him. But I
figured they must have long since fixed their problems, since they're
a very successful high tech company with high-status technical
employees, and since search is their main line of business. I wasn't
able to check for myself since the whole of Google Groups had
retreated behind the Google-login event horizon.

If they're unwilling to maintain it, they should make full copies
available to anyone who wants one.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<vhjcoilhpa01i5rddoikp2hg437euahpab@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4023&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4023

From: someone.else@example.com.invalid (Someone Else)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2023 22:17:16 -0500
 by: Someone Else - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 03:17 UTC

In Message-ID:<um5evd$jvq$1@reader1.panix.com>,
"Keith F. Lynch" <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
>for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him.

Remember that they agreed to delete all X-No-Archive posts 8 days
after they were posted.