We really don't have any enemies. It's just that some of our best friends are trying to kill us.

arts / rec.arts.sf.fandom / Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

SubjectAuthor
* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJay E. Morris
+- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
|`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJay E. Morris
| `- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
| +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
| `* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessScott Dorsey
|  +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|  `* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
|   +- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessSomeone Else
|   +* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessTim Merrigan
|   |`- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
|   `* Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKevrob
|    `* Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessScott Dorsey
|     `- Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet accessKeith F. Lynch
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessGary McGath
|`- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor
+* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessSteve Coltrin
+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shuttingeleeper@optonline.net
|+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetKeith F. Lynch
||`- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetThe Doctor
|+* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetWolfFan
||`* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetBlueshirt
|| +- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetThe Doctor
|| `* MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google GroupsGary McGath
||  `- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetBlueshirt
|`- MT VOID Will No Longer Be Posted Here (was Re: Google Groups shutting off usenetTim Merrigan
`* Google Groups shutting off usenet accessJudith Latham
 `- Google Groups shutting off usenet accessThe Doctor

Pages:12
Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<1cieoi5thnontncgaap1ho9ediilmfgehg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4030&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4030

From: tppm@ca.rr.com (Tim Merrigan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 13:00:19 -0800
 by: Tim Merrigan - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 21:00 UTC

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:00:13 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
<kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>>> They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>>> archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those
>>> with Google accounts.
>
>> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than
>> a decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible
>> to find many earlier articles which could previously be found with
>> simple searches. They are in there and if you know the message-id
>> you might be able to retrieve them, but just knowing the author and
>> content is not enough to find them.
>
>Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
>for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him. But I
>figured they must have long since fixed their problems, since they're
>a very successful high tech company with high-status technical
>employees, and since search is their main line of business. I wasn't
>able to check for myself since the whole of Google Groups had
>retreated behind the Google-login event horizon.
>
>If they're unwilling to maintain it, they should make full copies
>available to anyone who wants one.

The Usenet search started deteriorating the moment Google Groups took
over control of DejaNews, and has only gotten worse since.
--

Qualified immunity = virtual impunity.

Tim Merrigan

www.avg.com

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<um7pl0$2ldl$11@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4113&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4113

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 23:14:40 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 23:14 UTC

In article <1cieoi5thnontncgaap1ho9ediilmfgehg@4ax.com>,
Tim Merrigan <tppm@ca.rr.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 02:00:13 -0000 (UTC), "Keith F. Lynch"
><kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
>>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> But it isn't searchable and readable and has not been for more than
>>> a decade now. The incices are badly broken and it is impossible
>>> to find many earlier articles which could previously be found with
>>> simple searches. They are in there and if you know the message-id
>>> you might be able to retrieve them, but just knowing the author and
>>> content is not enough to find them.
>>
>>Thanks. I knew there were problems 12 years ago when I was searching
>>for all posts by Dan Hoey to make a memorial website for him. But I
>>figured they must have long since fixed their problems, since they're
>>a very successful high tech company with high-status technical
>>employees, and since search is their main line of business. I wasn't
>>able to check for myself since the whole of Google Groups had
>>retreated behind the Google-login event horizon.
>>
>>If they're unwilling to maintain it, they should make full copies
>>available to anyone who wants one.
>
>The Usenet search started deteriorating the moment Google Groups took
>over control of DejaNews, and has only gotten worse since.

And GG troll control is absent!

--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<cKljN.19429$taff.16605@fx41.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4131&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4131

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
From: judithlatham@gmx.com (Judith Latham)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 16:26:30 -0500
 by: Judith Latham - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 21:26 UTC

On 12/14/2023 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>
> https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>
> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
> Groups.
>
> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
> servers.
>
> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
> Google Groups content  is not Usenet content and will not be affected.

Saw this in another group last week, for what its worth.

https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<umkudl$1vuf$12@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4132&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4132

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:55:49 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 22:55 UTC

In article <cKljN.19429$taff.16605@fx41.iad>,
Judith Latham <judithlatham@gmx.com> wrote:
>On 12/14/2023 8:49 PM, Jay E. Morris wrote:
>> Basically, not worth maintaining.
>>

>https://support.google.com/groups/answer/11036538?visit_id=638381921477344227-87081626&p=usenet&rd=1
>>
>> Starting on February 22, 2024, you can no longer use Google Groups (at
>> groups.google.com) to post content to Usenet groups, subscribe to Usenet
>> groups, or view new Usenet content. You can continue to view and search
>> for historical Usenet content posted before February 22, 2024 on Google
>> Groups.
>>
>> In addition, Google’s Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) server and
>> associated peering will no longer be available, meaning Google will not
>> support serving new Usenet content or exchanging content with other NNTP
>> servers.
>>
>> This change will not impact any non-Usenet content on Google Groups,
>> including all user and organization-created groups. Most of the current
>> Google Groups content  is not Usenet content and will not be affected.
>
>Saw this in another group last week, for what its worth.
>
>https://www.theregister.com/2023/08/30/usenet_revival/

Google out! REvival in!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<uslh91$37l27$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4406&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4406

From: kjrobinson@mail.com (Kevrob)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:55:12 -0400
 by: Kevrob - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:55 UTC

On 12/22/2023 9:00 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> Keith F. Lynch <kfl@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>>> They are claiming they will continue to maintain the historical
>>> archive and keep it searchable and readable, at least by those
>>> with Google accounts.

[snip]

Just alerting those who are used to seeing me post via GG that I have
migrated to E-S/Thunderbird. Forgive me if I screw up while learning
new skills.

_Constructive_ criticism is welcome.

--
Kevin R ex <kevrob@my-deja.com>

www.avg.com

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<usn44h$m43$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4408&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4408

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: 11 Mar 2024 14:23:13 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:23 UTC

In article <uslh91$37l27$1@dont-email.me>, Kevrob <kjrobinson@mail.com> wrote:
>On 12/22/2023 9:00 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
>> Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>Just alerting those who are used to seeing me post via GG that I have
>migrated to E-S/Thunderbird. Forgive me if I screw up while learning
>new skills.

Other than a couple lines in the header that people seldom look at, nothing
is different. It's all the same from our end.
--scott

Re: Google Groups shutting off usenet access

<usn4m9$ikj$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=4409&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4409

From: kfl@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:32:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 14:32 UTC

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> Kevrob <kjrobinson@mail.com> wrote:

> Other than a couple lines in the header that people seldom look at,
> nothing is different. It's all the same from our end.

His From: address is different. (I've added it to my email whitelist.)
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/