"Well hello there Charlie Brown, you blockhead." -- Lucy Van Pelt

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

SubjectAuthor
* OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Cryptoengineer
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?The Doctor
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?James Nicoll
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Steve Coltrin
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Dimensional Traveler
+* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Scott Lurndal
|`* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Mike Van Pelt
| `* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Cryptoengineer
|  +* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Tony Nance
|  |`- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Titus G
|  +- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Ahasuerus
|  +- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Gary R. Schmidt
|  +* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Scott Dorsey
|  |`* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Cryptoengineer
|  | `- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Dimensional Traveler
|  `* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Robert Carnegie
|   +- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Paul S Person
|   `* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Cryptoengineer
|    `- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Robert Carnegie
+* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?-dsr-
|`* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Dave
| +* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?BCFD 36
| |+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Dimensional Traveler
| |`- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Ahasuerus
| `- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Gary R. Schmidt
+* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Lynn McGuire
|+* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?pete...@gmail.com
||+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Tony Nance
||`- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Lynn McGuire
|`* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?The Horny Goat
| +- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Titus G
| `* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Cryptoengineer
|  `* Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?The Horny Goat
|   `- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Lynn McGuire
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Gary R. Schmidt
+- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?WolfFan
`- Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?Paul S Person

Pages:12
OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up0m5m$2u9ik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95850&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95850

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:21:10 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:21 UTC

I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
posts got onerous.

I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
need to use from many devices, mostly by web).

Can people see this message?

Peter Trei

pt

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up0m8i$1mt2$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95851&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95851

From: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:22:42 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:22 UTC

In article <up0m5m$2u9ik$1@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>posts got onerous.
>
>I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
>Can people see this message?
>
>Peter Trei
>
>pt

Yes!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up0mfc$7qm$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95853&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95853

From: jdnicoll@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:26:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: James Nicoll - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:26 UTC

In article <up0m5m$2u9ik$1@dont-email.me>,
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>posts got onerous.
>
>I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
>Can people see this message?
>
>Peter Trei

I saw this message.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<m2r0i4f47d.fsf@kelutral.omcl.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95854&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95854

From: spcoltri@omcl.org (Steve Coltrin)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:29:42 -0700
 by: Steve Coltrin - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC

begin fnord
Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:

> Can people see this message?

Well, I can.

--
Steve Coltrin spcoltri@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up0n45$2ug61$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95855&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95855

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:37:27 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 16:37 UTC

On 1/26/2024 8:21 AM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
> posts got onerous.
>
> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
> Can people see this message?
>
> Peter Trei

Me three.

dirty old man.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<CESsN.67750$zqTf.38643@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95858&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95858

Sender: scott@dragon.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
From: scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:14:58 GMT
 by: Scott Lurndal - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:14 UTC

Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>posts got onerous.
>
>I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
>Can people see this message?

Yes. I recommend xrn if you're using linux. supports threading,
very lightweight (Xaw toolkit).

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<slrnur7u3o.62o.dsr-usenet@randomstring.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95859&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95859

From: dsr-usenet@randomstring.org (-dsr-)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:22:48 -0500
 by: -dsr- - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:22 UTC

On 2024-01-26, Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
> Can people see this message?

Yup.

-dsr-

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up11r4$30avk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95861&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95861

From: bcfd36@cruzio.com (Dave)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:40:20 -0800
 by: Dave - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:40 UTC

On 1/26/24 10:22, -dsr- wrote:
> On 2024-01-26, Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>>
>> Can people see this message?

> Yup.
>
> -dsr-

I can see the reply from -dsr- but not the original message. I don't
know whether it is eternal-september, Thunderbird or both that is acting
up. I have to shut down Thunderbird every day in order to read in new
messages. If I don't wait for a bit before restarting up, I get no new
messages. If I wait, then I get new messages, but apparently not all of
them, like I said previously. I only see Cryptoengineer quoted in dsr's
reply. This is aggravating.
--
----------------
Dave Scruggs

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up163m$3122q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95864&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95864

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 14:53:08 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:53 UTC

On 1/26/2024 10:21 AM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
> posts got onerous.
>
> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
> Can people see this message?
>
> Peter Trei
>
> pt

Yes, and this thread is threaded in Thunderbird on Windows 11.

My Inbox on TB threads but I do not want it to. That is a recent change.

Lynn

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<8b635e02-5987-4c74-b079-3909b9011638n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95868&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95868

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:30:22 -0800 (PST)
From: petertrei@gmail.com (pete...@gmail.com)
 by: pete...@gmail.com - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:30 UTC

On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 3:53:15 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 1/26/2024 10:21 AM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> > I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
> > to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
> > hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
> > posts got onerous.
> >
> > I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> > am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> > there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> > may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> > need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
> >
> > Can people see this message?
> >
> > Peter Trei
> >
> > pt
> Yes, and this thread is threaded in Thunderbird on Windows 11.
>
> My Inbox on TB threads but I do not want it to. That is a recent change.

I'm seeing it gather all the repo sets of a given thread together, but there's
no tree structure below that.

Pt

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up1ikh$32u2d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95869&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95869

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:26:57 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:26 UTC

On 1/26/24 6:30 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 3:53:15 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 1/26/2024 10:21 AM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
>>> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>>> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>>> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>>> posts got onerous.
>>>
>>> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>>> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>>> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>>> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>>> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>>>
>>> Can people see this message?
>>>
>>> Peter Trei
>>>
>>> pt
>> Yes, and this thread is threaded in Thunderbird on Windows 11.
>>
>> My Inbox on TB threads but I do not want it to. That is a recent change.
>
> I'm seeing it gather all the repo sets of a given thread together, but there's
> no tree structure below that.

Same here, also using Eternal September and Thunderbird. Thunderbird is
not my favorite, but it's working well enough.

Tony

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<up1nl9$33iim$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95873&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95873

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:52:40 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:52 UTC

On 1/26/2024 5:30 PM, pete...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 3:53:15 PM UTC-5, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> On 1/26/2024 10:21 AM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
>>> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>>> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>>> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>>> posts got onerous.
>>>
>>> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>>> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>>> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>>> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>>> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>>>
>>> Can people see this message?
>>>
>>> Peter Trei
>>>
>>> pt
>> Yes, and this thread is threaded in Thunderbird on Windows 11.
>>
>> My Inbox on TB threads but I do not want it to. That is a recent change.
>
> I'm seeing it gather all the repo sets of a given thread together, but there's
> no tree structure below that.
>
> Pt

Try setting the pulldown menu item on: View -> Sort By -> Threaded.

Lynn

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<trhe8k-j9i.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95874&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95874

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:45:00 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 05:45 UTC

On 27/01/2024 03:21, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
> posts got onerous.
>
> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
> Can people see this message?
>
> Peter Trei
>
> pt
Try Betterbird - http://bettterbird.eu - it's TB with fixes.

I've been using it for a year or so, since before 115, and it's more
like old TB than TB.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<0001HW.2B654F3B0114BAC670000854F38F@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95876&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95876

From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:48:27 -0500
 by: WolfFan - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:48 UTC

On Jan 26, 2024, Cryptoengineer wrote
(in article <up0m5m$2u9ik$1@dont-email.me>):

> I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
> to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
> hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
> posts got onerous.
>
> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
> Can people see this message?
>
> Peter Trei
>
> pt

Gotcha

I have two ’subscriptions’ for rec.arts.sf.* in the Hog, one on Supernews
(the one I usually use) and one on Eternal September. Thanks to the spam
deluge, Supernews takes nearly 5 minutes to load, and then another five
minutes to be usable after I clean everything up. Killfiles aren’t catching
all, or even most, of the idiocy unless I set them to be quite heavy-handed.
It’s a lot worse if I’m not home and am remoting in. ES loads in under 5
seconds.

I’ve sent a note over to Supernews. I suspect that they will just wait
until Google pulls the plug on usenet access.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<llbari52hfej0do169620jndr6vkq0j05f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=95883&group=rec.arts.sf.written#95883

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:27:20 -0800
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:27 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:21:10 -0500, Cryptoengineer
<petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm finally switching out from Google Groups. I would have waited closer
>to the deadline, but the troll is now hitting rasfw with literally
>hundreds of new threads a day, and scrolling thru them to find real
>posts got onerous.
>
>I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>
>Can people see this message?

Yep.

It's threaded in Agent 8, but that isn't going to help you with
Thunderbird.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upmks1$3b68j$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96105&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96105

From: usenet@mikevanpelt.com (Mike Van Pelt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:13:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Van Pelt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 00:13 UTC

In article <CESsN.67750$zqTf.38643@fx35.iad>,
Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>>Can people see this message?

Saw it.

>Yes. I recommend xrn if you're using linux. supports threading,
>very lightweight (Xaw toolkit).

I'm not familiar with xrn, but I am with trn. Also runs under
Linux. Given the name, I wouldn't be surprised if xrn was
pretty similar.

trn, at least, runs in "Linux Subsystem for Windows", which
is how I'm running it now. You can install it with a simple
"apt get". This might also be true of xrn.

A few times in the past, unsatisifed with gui forum software,
I've thought about what I would want in the ideal online forum
software. Every time, I didn't get far before I realized I was
re-inventing the most recent trn 4.0. (where "most recent" is
a couple decades old at this point.)

--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<b005e393-8956-45bb-a0dc-e32faff487ae@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96114&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96114

From: petertrei@gmail.com (Cryptoengineer)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:24:24 -0500
 by: Cryptoengineer - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:24 UTC

On 2/3/2024 7:13 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
> In article <CESsN.67750$zqTf.38643@fx35.iad>,
> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>> Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Can people see this message?
>
> Saw it.
>
>> Yes. I recommend xrn if you're using linux. supports threading,
>> very lightweight (Xaw toolkit).
>
> I'm not familiar with xrn, but I am with trn. Also runs under
> Linux. Given the name, I wouldn't be surprised if xrn was
> pretty similar.
>
> trn, at least, runs in "Linux Subsystem for Windows", which
> is how I'm running it now. You can install it with a simple
> "apt get". This might also be true of xrn.
>
> A few times in the past, unsatisifed with gui forum software,
> I've thought about what I would want in the ideal online forum
> software. Every time, I didn't get far before I realized I was
> re-inventing the most recent trn 4.0. (where "most recent" is
> a couple decades old at this point.)

I built trn from source under Linux a few years ago, when we
were getting excited over the use of UTF-8.

At the moment I'm using Thunderbird on Windows. There are some
niggling irritations. I wonder if they can be worked around.

1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
post to group.

2. While I've managed to get a threaded display, I can't sort
by 'thread most recently updated'. I can 'show only new threads',
but that doesn't show threads where I've already read some of the
replies. I'm forced to scroll down looking for thread entries
which are underlined, and have new replies.

pt

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upmss4$3cbfa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96115&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96115

From: tnusenet17@gmail.com (Tony Nance)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:30:28 -0500
 by: Tony Nance - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:30 UTC

On 2/3/24 9:24 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> On 2/3/2024 7:13 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
>> In article <CESsN.67750$zqTf.38643@fx35.iad>,
>> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Saw it.
>>
>>> Yes.  I recommend xrn if you're using linux.  supports threading,
>>> very lightweight (Xaw toolkit).
>>
>> I'm not familiar with xrn, but I am with trn.  Also runs under
>> Linux.  Given the name, I wouldn't be surprised if xrn was
>> pretty similar.
>>
>> trn, at least, runs in "Linux Subsystem for Windows", which
>> is how I'm running it now. You can install it with a simple
>> "apt get". This might also be true of xrn.
>>
>> A few times in the past, unsatisifed with gui forum software,
>> I've thought about what I would want in the ideal online forum
>> software. Every time, I didn't get far before I realized I was
>> re-inventing the most recent trn 4.0.  (where "most recent" is
>> a couple decades old at this point.)
>
> I built trn from source under Linux a few years ago, when we
> were getting excited over the use of UTF-8.
>
> At the moment I'm using Thunderbird on Windows. There are some
> niggling irritations. I wonder if they can be worked around.
>
> 1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
> message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
> When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
> the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
> post to group.

Is there a plain "Followup" option? On my end, that posts to the group
without generating emails, but I am on a mac.

> 2. While I've managed to get a threaded display, I can't sort
> by 'thread most recently updated'. I can 'show only new threads',
> but that doesn't show threads where I've already read  some of the
> replies. I'm forced to scroll down looking for thread entries
> which are underlined, and have new replies.

I am also in this boat, but I haven't tried too hard to get around it.
If I do get around it, I will let you know.

Tony

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upmt2t$306p8$6@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96116&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96116

From: ahasuerus@email.com (Ahasuerus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 21:34:04 -0500
 by: Ahasuerus - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 02:34 UTC

On 2/3/2024 9:24 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> [snip]
> At the moment I'm using Thunderbird on Windows. There are some
> niggling irritations. I wonder if they can be worked around.
>
> 1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
> message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
> When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
> the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
> post to group.

I believe the button that you are looking for is "Followup".

> 2. While I've managed to get a threaded display, I can't sort
> by 'thread most recently updated'. I can 'show only new threads',
> but that doesn't show threads where I've already read  some of the
> replies. I'm forced to scroll down looking for thread entries
> which are underlined, and have new replies.

I find that Thunderbird's unthreaded display works well for low-volume
newsgroups like rec.art.s.sf.written, especially once you set up filters
to set off-topic threads and the like to "auto-read".

On rare occasion Thunderbird gets confused and refuses to recognize the
existence of certain posts, but a restart typically fixes it in a matter
of seconds.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<1le39k-j2t.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96121&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96121

From: grschmidt@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:58:55 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 03:58 UTC

On 04/02/2024 13:24, Cryptoengineer wrote:
> On 2/3/2024 7:13 PM, Mike Van Pelt wrote:
>> In article <CESsN.67750$zqTf.38643@fx35.iad>,
>> Scott Lurndal <slp53@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> Saw it.
>>
>>> Yes.  I recommend xrn if you're using linux.  supports threading,
>>> very lightweight (Xaw toolkit).
>>
>> I'm not familiar with xrn, but I am with trn.  Also runs under
>> Linux.  Given the name, I wouldn't be surprised if xrn was
>> pretty similar.
>>
>> trn, at least, runs in "Linux Subsystem for Windows", which
>> is how I'm running it now. You can install it with a simple
>> "apt get". This might also be true of xrn.
>>
>> A few times in the past, unsatisifed with gui forum software,
>> I've thought about what I would want in the ideal online forum
>> software. Every time, I didn't get far before I realized I was
>> re-inventing the most recent trn 4.0.  (where "most recent" is
>> a couple decades old at this point.)
>
> I built trn from source under Linux a few years ago, when we
> were getting excited over the use of UTF-8.
>
> At the moment I'm using Thunderbird on Windows. There are some
> niggling irritations. I wonder if they can be worked around.
>
> 1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
> message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
> When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
> the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
> post to group.

I turned off the Header Toolbar for just this reason (Right-click on the
message header and select "Hide Header Toolbar"), and use "Reply" at the
top of the Window, which does the right thing.

> 2. While I've managed to get a threaded display, I can't sort
> by 'thread most recently updated'. I can 'show only new threads',
> but that doesn't show threads where I've already read  some of the
> replies. I'm forced to scroll down looking for thread entries
> which are underlined, and have new replies.

Switching to Betterbird <http://betterbird.eu> gets rid of a lot of TB's
vexing non-features, and fast-tracks some bug-fixes, including a lot of
threading bugs.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upn3k5$3gree$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96124&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96124

From: noone@nowhere.com (Titus G)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 17:25:41 +1300
 by: Titus G - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 04:25 UTC

On 4/02/24 15:30, Tony Nance wrote:
> On 2/3/24 9:24 PM, Cryptoengineer wrote:

snip

>> At the moment I'm using Thunderbird on Windows. There are some
>> niggling irritations. I wonder if they can be worked around.
>>
>> 1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
>> message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
>> When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
>> the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
>> post to group.
>>

> Is there a plain "Followup" option? On my end, that posts to the group
> without generating emails, but I am on a mac.

There is a plain "Followup" under Linux.

>> 2. While I've managed to get a threaded display, I can't sort
>> by 'thread most recently updated'. I can 'show only new threads',
>> but that doesn't show threads where I've already read  some of the
>> replies. I'm forced to scroll down looking for thread entries
>> which are underlined, and have new replies.
>>

> I am also in this boat, but I haven't tried too hard to get around it.
> If I do get around it, I will let you know.

View
Sort
Date Ascending Threaded.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upp239$3rv74$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96133&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96133

From: bcfd36@cruzio.com (BCFD 36)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:11:53 -0800
 by: BCFD 36 - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:11 UTC

On 1/26/24 11:40, Dave wrote:
> On 1/26/24 10:22, -dsr- wrote:
>> On 2024-01-26, Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I reactivated an eternal September account I set up many years ago, and
>>> am currently trying Thunderbird. I'm not completely happy with it - if
>>> there's a threaded tree display I haven't found it, and I worry that it
>>> may not play nice with my gmail account (10Gb, 53k messages, which I
>>> need to use from many devices, mostly by web).
>>>
>>> Can people see this message?

>> Yup.
>>
>> -dsr-
>

> I can see the reply from -dsr- but not the original message. I don't
> know whether it is eternal-september, Thunderbird or both that is acting
> up. I have to shut down Thunderbird every day in order to read in new
> messages. If I don't wait for a bit before restarting up, I get no new
> messages. If I wait, then I get new messages, but apparently not all of
> them, like I said previously. I only see Cryptoengineer quoted in dsr's
> reply. This is aggravating.

Thunderbird is being difficult. This is to see if a new message shows
up, or not.

--
----------------
Dave Scruggs
Senior Software Engineer - Lockheed Martin, et. al (mostly Retired)
Captain - Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upp362$3s4vu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96134&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96134

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 14:30:29 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 22:30 UTC

On 2/4/2024 2:11 PM, BCFD 36 wrote:

> Thunderbird is being difficult. This is to see if a new message shows
> up, or not.

I see it.

dirty old man.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<upp7pn$3t12q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96137&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96137

From: ahasuerus@email.com (Ahasuerus)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:49:11 -0500
 by: Ahasuerus - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 23:49 UTC

On 2/4/2024 5:11 PM, BCFD 36 wrote:
> On 1/26/24 11:40, Dave wrote:

>>> Yup.
>>>
>>> -dsr-
>>

>> I can see the reply from -dsr- but not the original message. I don't
>> know whether it is eternal-september, Thunderbird or both that is
>> acting up. I have to shut down Thunderbird every day in order to read
>> in new messages. If I don't wait for a bit before restarting up, I get
>> no new messages. If I wait, then I get new messages, but apparently
>> not all of them, like I said previously. I only see Cryptoengineer
>> quoted in dsr's reply. This is aggravating.
>
> Thunderbird is being difficult. This is to see if a new message shows
> up, or not.

The Thunderbird client can get out of sync with the NNTP server. It
seems to happen more frequently when you experiment with "offline" options.

When it happens, you can try to force a re-sync:

1. Find the desync'd newsgroup in the list of newsgroup names on the left.

2. Right-click the newsgroup name.

3. Select "Properties".

4. Under the "General Information" tab select "Repair Folder".

5. Specify how many headers you want to be re-downloaded.

6. Click OK.

7. The pop-up box will flash and reset the displayed values. Apparently
this can be ignored and you just have to wait for the headers to be
redownloaded. Thunderbird may not display its progress, but it
presumably "does stuff behind the scenes".

Not terribly user friendly, but it seems to work for me. Some settings
like threading/ordering are not preserved, but at least you get back in
sync.

Alternatively, you can unsubscribe from the corrupted newsgroup and
immediately re-subscribe, which will force the same redownload process
to be kicked off.

Re: OT Testing eternal september: Can you see this?

<uppcsj$m9k$1@panix2.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=96139&group=rec.arts.sf.written#96139

From: kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: 5 Feb 2024 01:16:03 -0000
 by: Scott Dorsey - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 01:16 UTC

Cryptoengineer <petertrei@gmail.com> wrote:
>1. The 'Reply' button prominently displayed at the top of a
>message sends an email - it does not reply to the group.
>When I do 'reply to all', it posts to the group, but also emails
>the person who wrote what I'm replying to. I'd rather only
>post to group.

What you want to do is post a followup, not a reply. (I don't know what
is involved in doing this with Thunderbird but that is the terminology
used in the Usenet documentation).
--scott