Murphy's Law is recursive. Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

SubjectAuthor
* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberLynn McGuire
`* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberWolfFan
 +- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDon
 `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberLynn McGuire
  `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberBob Casanova
   `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberLynn McGuire
    +- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberBob Casanova
    `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberWolfFan
     `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDimensional Traveler
      `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberWolfFan
       `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberLynn McGuire
        +* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberWolfFan
        |+- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberLynn McGuire
        |+* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDimensional Traveler
        ||+* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        |||`* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDimensional Traveler
        ||| `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        |||  `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDimensional Traveler
        |||   `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        |||    `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weberted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
        |||     `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberCryptoengineer
        |||      `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberTitus G
        |||       +* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weberted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
        |||       |+* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberTitus G
        |||       ||`* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberCryptoengineer
        |||       || +- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weberted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
        |||       || `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        |||       ||  `- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberCryptoengineer
        |||       |`- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberTitus G
        |||       `- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        ||`* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberMad Hamish
        || +* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberDimensional Traveler
        || |`* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberWolfFan
        || | `* Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        || |  `- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberThe Horny Goat
        || `- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberThe Horny Goat
        |+- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weberted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
        |+- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberPaul S Person
        |`- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberBob Casanova
        `- Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David WeberMad Hamish

Pages:12
Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97249&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97249

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Subject: Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:11:30 -0600
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 23:11 UTC

On 12/8/2021 2:35 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> [...]
> planetoid, Dahak hull number 177291, dropped out of Euchanch drive due
> to a supposed failure.  Dahak and his 250,000 person crew were headed to
> a picket post for forty years at the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy.  It
> had been 7,000 years since the last genocidal invasion of the
> Achuultani, a race who periodically swept the Milky Way of all life, who
> had destroyed three Imperiums and countless civilizations.  But the FTL
> drive failure was not a accident, it was sabotage.  And the mutiny that
> followed exiled the mutineers and crew alike on Earth, the third planet
> of the Sol System.
>
> Today, the unmanned picket posts are warning of the imminent invasion by
> the Achuultani.  And Dahak is not receiving any warnings by hypercom
> from Central Command.  Nor can he transmit a warning to Central Command
> as that capability was sabotaged also.  Dahak needs a crew and a NASA
> pilot on a solitary mission, Colin McIntyre, around the Moon looks to be
> a good candidate.  For you see, Dahak is the Moon.
>
> I do not know why this is my favorite SF book and series of all time.  I
> like the standup position of the chief protagonist, Colin the First.  Or
> that there are so many different species of intelligent space races.  Or
> that the book is written so tightly, especially when compared to Weber's
> later works.  Or that an self aware artificial intelligence shares the
> main protagonist job in the book, much like Heinlein's _The Moon Is A
> Harsh Mistress_.
>
> I keep on hoping that David Weber will write more books in the Dahak
> series but, I doubt it.  He did write the Safehold series which is along
> the same lines as this book, overpowering space aliens and self aware
> artificial intelligences.  BTW, there is an ending to the Safehold,
> Honorverse, and Dahak series that David Weber wrote as joke:
>    http://www.davidweber.net/posts/443-how-safehold-wont-end.html
>
> The entire series is also available in an omnibus book, _Empire From The
> Ashes_ in either kindle or trade paperback.  I also own this book in
> trade paperback.
>    https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ashes-David-Weber/dp/141650933X/
>
> Here is my 2006 review of the book: "I love this book.  Of my 5,000+
> SciFi books, it is my favorite.  True, it is a little bit raw.  But, it
> tells a SOLID story and leaves you wanting more more more at the end.
> That is the sign of a great book.  A sentient ship the size of the moon
> and the unique story of the "space aliens" makes for a totally cool
> story.  BTW, I am reading it for the 5th or 6th time (who keeps count
> ?).  Weber owes a couple of authors for his story: Heinlein's The Moon
> is a Harsh Mistress and the Perry Rhodan series.  There are two sequels
> to this book, also 5 stars.  I am valiantly waiting for the fourth ..."
>
> My rating: 6 out of 5 stars (yes 6 stars, I have about 20 six star books)
> Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (211 reviews)

Maybe I will read this again in 2024.

Lynn

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97289&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97289

Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:10:40 -0500
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
 by: WolfFan - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:10 UTC

On Mar 6, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
(in article <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me>):

> [...]
> > trade paperback.
> > https://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ashes-David-Weber/dp/141650933X/
> >
> > Here is my 2006 review of the book: "I love this book. Of my 5,000+
> > SciFi books, it is my favorite. True, it is a little bit raw. But, it
> > tells a SOLID story and leaves you wanting more more more at the end.
> > That is the sign of a great book. A sentient ship the size of the moon
> > and the unique story of the "space aliens" makes for a totally cool
> > story. BTW, I am reading it for the 5th or 6th time (who keeps count
> > ?). Weber owes a couple of authors for his story: Heinlein's The Moon
> > is a Harsh Mistress and the Perry Rhodan series. There are two sequels
> > to this book, also 5 stars. I am valiantly waiting for the fourth ..."
> >
> > My rating: 6 out of 5 stars (yes 6 stars, I have about 20 six star books)
> > Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars (211 reviews)

My problem with this book is the severe suspension of disbelief issues.
There’s ’the Moon is really an alien warship’ bit, which is bad enough,
but those who have read EE Smith and the likes of Skylark of Valeron and
assorted loose planets might swallow. With difficulty. There’s the really
interesting biology, in that humans are aliens, despite biology saying that
they’re related to all other life on Earth, but those who have read Larry
Niven and Protector can swallow that. With difficulty. There’s the secret
history, and how the Big Bad was behind most of the villains in history...
and let them lose..., but again EE Smith was there in Triplanetary.
Swollowable, with difficulty. There’s the Really Neat Supertech, very like
swarms of stories from the 1930s, 40s, 50s... and with all the problems of
those stories, plus additional handicaps in that the Really Neat Supertech
has to be hidden from John Public. Again, swallowable. With difficulty. The
problem is, all of that is in one story. EE Smith and Niven and Campbell and
van Vogt and the rest spread things around in multiple stories, building on
each, they didn’t just pile it into one huge blob and try to ram it down
reader’s throats. Weber did exactly that. Plus infodumps. Nope, not buying
it. Nope.

And the three books in this series were an early indicator of another Weber
problem: he can’t finish a series. He stopped at three here. He’s written
himself into corners with Honor Harrington and Safehold... including just
stopping at incredibly annoying cliffhangers. (I’ve given up on Honor, and
am getting very tired of waiting for the problems dumped in the last few
pages of the last Safehold to be resolved. There is, so far as I know, no
planned date for the release of the next Safehold book If there ever will be
a next Safehold book.) The Bloody Hand has vanished, along with an
explaination for a certain wild wizard’s actions, and exactly why the
Bloody Hand’s daughter is so incredibly important. After Weber spent three
books setting things up. Instead we have space vampires, and I suspect that
that’s going to pitter out, too.

Weber is almost as bad as Ringo with respect to finishing a series. This is
not a compliment.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<20240316a@crcomp.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97474&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97474

Followup: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
From: g@crcomp.net (Don)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:36:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Don - Sat, 16 Mar 2024 16:36 UTC

WolfFan wrote:
> [...]
> problem: he can’t finish a series. He stopped at three here. He’s written
> himself into corners with Honor Harrington and Safehold... including just
> stopping at incredibly annoying cliffhangers. (I’ve given up on Honor, and
> am getting very tired of waiting for the problems dumped in the last few
> pages of the last Safehold to be resolved. There is, so far as I know, no
> planned date for the release of the next Safehold book If there ever will be
> a next Safehold book.) The Bloody Hand has vanished, along with an
> explaination for a certain wild wizard’s actions, and exactly why the
> Bloody Hand’s daughter is so incredibly important. After Weber spent three
> books setting things up. Instead we have space vampires, and I suspect that
> that’s going to pitter out, too.
>
> Weber is almost as bad as Ringo with respect to finishing a series. This is

Escapism is catnip to me. Your suspension of disbelief and infodump issues
are relatively minor, in my case. (From my perspective, it takes a far
greater suspension of disbelief and a bellyful of bigger info-dump blobs
to believe in the reportedly real Higgs Boson.)
The story's start IN SPACE is excellent. It channels Perry Rhodan.
And Jiltanith's characterization entertains me.
Unfortunately the story soon comes down to Earth. Then its inner
_Jerico Sanction_ (North) takes over to flick me in the face over and
over again.
My patient wait for less Black Mecca and more Moon was mostly in
vain. This feels like my MilSF Baen baptism. The genre's not for me.

Danke,

--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``. https://crcomp.net/reviews.php
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. Walk humbly with thy God.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97529&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97529

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:55:31 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 19:55 UTC

On 3/8/2024 9:10 AM, WolfFan wrote:
> [...]
> problem: he can’t finish a series. He stopped at three here. He’s written
> himself into corners with Honor Harrington and Safehold... including just
> stopping at incredibly annoying cliffhangers. (I’ve given up on Honor, and
> am getting very tired of waiting for the problems dumped in the last few
> pages of the last Safehold to be resolved. There is, so far as I know, no
> planned date for the release of the next Safehold book If there ever will be
> a next Safehold book.) The Bloody Hand has vanished, along with an
> explaination for a certain wild wizard’s actions, and exactly why the
> Bloody Hand’s daughter is so incredibly important. After Weber spent three
> books setting things up. Instead we have space vampires, and I suspect that
> that’s going to pitter out, too.
>
> Weber is almost as bad as Ringo with respect to finishing a series. This is

"Safehold" has been finished. You just don't like the ending.
http://www.davidweber.net/posts/443-how-safehold-wont-end.html

There may be an alternate ending to "Safehold". Time will tell.

Lynn

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97538&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97538

From: nospam@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:01:07 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 05:01 UTC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 14:55:31 -0500, the following appeared
in alt.books.david-weber, posted by Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>:

>On 3/8/2024 9:10 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>> (in article <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me>):

>>> Maybe I will read this again in 2024.
>>>
>>> Lynn
>>
>> My problem with this book is the severe suspension of disbelief issues.
>> There’s ’the Moon is really an alien warship’ bit, which is bad enough,
>> but those who have read EE Smith and the likes of Skylark of Valeron and
>> assorted loose planets might swallow. With difficulty. There’s the really
>> interesting biology, in that humans are aliens, despite biology saying that
>> they’re related to all other life on Earth, but those who have read Larry
>> Niven and Protector can swallow that. With difficulty. There’s the secret
>> history, and how the Big Bad was behind most of the villains in history...
>> and let them lose..., but again EE Smith was there in Triplanetary.
>> Swollowable, with difficulty. There’s the Really Neat Supertech, very like
>> swarms of stories from the 1930s, 40s, 50s... and with all the problems of
>> those stories, plus additional handicaps in that the Really Neat Supertech
>> has to be hidden from John Public. Again, swallowable. With difficulty. The
>> problem is, all of that is in one story. EE Smith and Niven and Campbell and
>> van Vogt and the rest spread things around in multiple stories, building on
>> each, they didn’t just pile it into one huge blob and try to ram it down
>> reader’s throats. Weber did exactly that. Plus infodumps. Nope, not buying
>> it. Nope.
>>
>> And the three books in this series were an early indicator of another Weber
>> problem: he can’t finish a series. He stopped at three here. He’s written
>> himself into corners with Honor Harrington and Safehold... including just
>> stopping at incredibly annoying cliffhangers. (I’ve given up on Honor, and
>> am getting very tired of waiting for the problems dumped in the last few
>> pages of the last Safehold to be resolved. There is, so far as I know, no
>> planned date for the release of the next Safehold book If there ever will be
>> a next Safehold book.) The Bloody Hand has vanished, along with an
>> explaination for a certain wild wizard’s actions, and exactly why the
>> Bloody Hand’s daughter is so incredibly important. After Weber spent three
>> books setting things up. Instead we have space vampires, and I suspect that
>> that’s going to pitter out, too.
>>
>> Weber is almost as bad as Ringo with respect to finishing a series. This is
>> not a compliment.
>
>"Safehold" has been finished. You just don't like the ending.

Actually, it hasn't; the last book left open what will
happen, with the Archangel's testimony.

> http://www.davidweber.net/posts/443-how-safehold-wont-end.html

Yeah, even David says that is how it *won't* end (although I
enjoyed it ;-) ).

>There may be an alternate ending to "Safehold". Time will tell.

You mean a *real* ending. It will indeed; I just hope I'm
still around for the finish.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97545&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97545

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:35:04 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:35 UTC

On 3/20/2024 12:01 AM, Bob Casanova wrote:
> [...]
>>> a next Safehold book.) The Bloody Hand has vanished, along with an
>>> explaination for a certain wild wizard’s actions, and exactly why the
>>> Bloody Hand’s daughter is so incredibly important. After Weber spent three
>>> books setting things up. Instead we have space vampires, and I suspect that
>>> that’s going to pitter out, too.
>>>
>>> Weber is almost as bad as Ringo with respect to finishing a series. This is
>>> not a compliment.
>>
>> "Safehold" has been finished. You just don't like the ending.
>>
> Actually, it hasn't; the last book left open what will
> happen, with the Archangel's testimony.
>>
>> http://www.davidweber.net/posts/443-how-safehold-wont-end.html
>>
> Yeah, even David says that is how it *won't* end (although I
> enjoyed it ;-) ).
>>
>> There may be an alternate ending to "Safehold". Time will tell.
>>
> You mean a *real* ending. It will indeed; I just hope I'm

David Weber gave a list of his next twenty-five books plans on Facebook
on Aug 29, 2022.
https://www.facebook.com/david.weber.5621/posts/pfbid02FjnvX56nzzcej5PLiPn6n4fy6KHygEm2LVihw38KXcGyYLAD1sDCSaQpLPoXWKuDl

"Okay, I am looking to the future of the Honorverse and several of the
other series I have going. There almost certainly WILL be at least one,
and probably 2-3, more novels in the Honorverse, following END IN FIRE's
merger of the main series and the Crown of Slaves series. They won't be
written with ERIC (which i hate) but he and I always knew exactly where
the books were going, and they will go there. It is possible that the
collaborator I have in mind will also replace ME before the end of the
journey (as someone said, I am --- alas --- mortal, and I am one of
those writers who will never be "done"), but the end will be reached,
Tim Zahn, Tom Pope, and I will be wrapping the MANTICORE ASCENDANT
series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off
with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward
Saganami shortly. Joelle and I are working on the next MULTIVERSE/HELL'S
GATE book, and we know precisely where that series will ultimately end
up. I don't know that I'll be here to see the final book, but I know
what will be in it and I totally trust Joelle, Sharon, and Toni
Weisskopf to get the series there with quality writing. Richard Fox and
I have about 3 more books to bring Terrence Murphy's immediate story to
a close, though we may go a tiny bit farther than that. We are looking
at doing the second book in the Murphyverse later this fall/winter. It's
already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the
sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far
we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers
satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I
set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's
likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather
than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got
farther in the current book than we'd really expected. I need to sit
down with Jane Lindskold some time in the next couple of months and lay
out the writing outline for the next STAR KINGDOM novel. We are
envisioning three more in that series, too. I have at least two more
novels in SAFEHOLD (might be 3) at which point I will be at a thoroughly
satisfying stopping point. (Could go farther if I brought in the right
collaborator, but I don't think it's likely.) 3-4 more books in the
SWORD OF THE SOUTH series, and then that's done.
So, by my calculations, that's another 22 books I need to get written to
wrap up my current series plans.
I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly
2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
firmly in the existing universes going forward.
People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably
still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that
I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that
you're getting rid of me next week!
Just saying."

Click here to read the complete article
Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<tromvi9frvbkbu4fridgg8r6p8p433fdmi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97550&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97550

From: nospam@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:34:47 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:34 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:35:04 -0500, the following appeared
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
>I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
>the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
>production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
>ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
>with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
>to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
>which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
>firmly in the existing universes going forward.
>People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably
>still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that
>I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that

2-3 more novels until Safehold finishes sounds about right.
And I'd *really* like to see a Prince Roger sequel or 3.

>That is an incredible amount of work for an old man who has already
>published 74 books in 33 years to that Aug 29, 2022 date.

It is indeed.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97551&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97551

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 18:34:58 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
 by: WolfFan - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:34 UTC

On Mar 20, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
(in article <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>):

<utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97552&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97552

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:39:42 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

On 3/20/2024 3:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
> (in article <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> It's
>> already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the
>> sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far
>> we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers
>> satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I
>> set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's
>> likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather
>> than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got
>> farther in the current book than we'd really expected.
>
> the 3rd book is due out shortly. Space vampires, we got.

Is out. Got it from Amazon last week.

dirty old man.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97554&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97554

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 06:47:12 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
 by: WolfFan - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:47 UTC

On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
(in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 3/20/2024 3:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Mar 20, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
> > (in article <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>):
> >
> > > It's
> > > already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the
> > > sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far
> > > we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers
> > > satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I
> > > set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's
> > > likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather
> > > than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got
> > > farther in the current book than we'd really expected.
> >
> > the 3rd book is due out shortly. Space vampires, we got.
>
> Is out. Got it from Amazon last week.

That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
if the price falls.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97569&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97569

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:29:08 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 22:29 UTC

On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
> (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 3/20/2024 3:34 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>>> On Mar 20, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>>> (in article <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>):

>>> the 3rd book is due out shortly. Space vampires, we got.
>>
>> Is out. Got it from Amazon last week.
>
> That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
> one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
> if the price falls.

I would not hold my breath.

Lynn

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97597&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97597

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:14:44 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
References: <sor4ul$83q$1@dont-email.me> <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>
 by: WolfFan - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:14 UTC

On Mar 21, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
(in article <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>):

> On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
> > (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

> > > Is out. Got it from Amazon last week.
> >
> > That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
> > one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
> > if the price falls.
>
> I would not hold my breath.
>
> Lynn

the probability of my paying $15 for space vamires part 3 is extremely low.
Gone are the days when I’d drop $20-25 or more on Weber in hardback. $15
for an ebook is simply greed. Especially as I’m not too fond of the Kindle
UI. and would have to deDRM it and convert it to EPUB to feed it to an ebook
reader that I like. And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
been known to reclaim ebooks. see
https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html

I don’t trust them.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utlbo4$38ng2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97598&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97598

From: lynnmcguire5@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:37:07 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 01:37 UTC

On 3/22/2024 7:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
> (in article <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>>> On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
>>> (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

>>> That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
>>> one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
>>> if the price falls.
>>
>> I would not hold my breath.
>>
>> Lynn
>
> the probability of my paying $15 for space vamires part 3 is extremely low.
> Gone are the days when I’d drop $20-25 or more on Weber in hardback. $15
> for an ebook is simply greed. Especially as I’m not too fond of the Kindle
> UI. and would have to deDRM it and convert it to EPUB to feed it to an ebook
> reader that I like. And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>
> I don’t trust them.

Me either. That is one reason why I buy dead tree books. I also spend
up to 12 hours a day at one or all of my three computers writing
software. So the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is read
on a computer for relaxation.

Both my father and my son read on Kindles though. So I am the Luddite.

Lynn

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97600&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97600

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 02:43 UTC

On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>
> I don’t trust them.

Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
reclaim THAT had to be first?!

dirty old man.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<l66vp9Fgi9rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97601&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97601

From: @ednolan (ted@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: 23 Mar 2024 03:14:49 GMT
 by: ted@loft.tnolan.com - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 03:14 UTC

In article <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>,
WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
>On Mar 21, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>(in article <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>> > On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
>> > (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

>handed in the
>is that I

>> > That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
>> > one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
>> > if the price falls.
>>
>> I would not hold my breath.
>>
>> Lynn
>
>the probability of my paying $15 for space vamires part 3 is extremely low.
>Gone are the days when I’d drop $20-25 or more on Weber in hardback. $15
>for an ebook is simply greed. Especially as I’m not too fond of the Kindle
>UI. and would have to deDRM it and convert it to EPUB to feed it to an ebook
>reader that I like. And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>
>I don’t trust them.

There are other ebook vendors.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<s0utvipdv0nos852su7o37lfu319bk88oj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97606&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97606

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 08:45:32 -0700
References: <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com> <utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:45 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>>
>> I don’t trust them.
>>
>Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
>reclaim THAT had to be first?!

Much as I agree that reasonably-limited copyrights are helpful, what,
exactly, is a vendor supposed to do when it finds that it has broken
the law by selling something it has no right to sell? Go to jail? Pay
ginormous fines [1] for copyright violation?

I don't know if this is the case I remember, but, in the one I
remember, the /real/ problem was that the book was an over-the-summer
reading assignment requiring a book report -- and the notes the kid
was planning to use for that report vanished as well.

[1] At the rate of one fine per book sold, they will mount up
endlessly.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<e9utvip1k8nljdf07qf7asga1rdhevmkqh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97609&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97609

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 09:01:39 -0700
References: <sor4ul$83q$1@dont-email.me> <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>
 by: Paul S Person - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:01 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:14:44 -0400, WolfFan <akwolffan@zoho.com>
wrote:

>On Mar 21, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>(in article <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>> > On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
>> > (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

>> > That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
>> > one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
>> > if the price falls.
>>
>> I would not hold my breath.
>>
>> Lynn
>
>the probability of my paying $15 for space vamires part 3 is extremely low.
>Gone are the days when I’d drop $20-25 or more on Weber in hardback. $15
>for an ebook is simply greed. Especially as I’m not too fond of the Kindle
>UI. and would have to deDRM it and convert it to EPUB to feed it to an ebook
>reader that I like. And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html

I will pay that much for a book I really really want [1]. What I
dislike is the occasional older book that claims to have been produced
with care and charges a price commensurate with effort being expended
on it which then turns out to be a "run it through OCR and sell it"
special.

Books under copyright, particularly modern and/or popular books, may
be entangled with all sorts of overhead expenses or royalties due the
author which must be collected even if the production cost is minimal
because the text from the file they sent to the printer is available
to use in the Kindle.

[1] I'll pay a lot more for hardcover books that I really really want
but there aren't many of those -- since text works fine on Kindle,
only manga/comics/graphic novels/art books are left.

>I don’t trust them.

I trust them enough to buy things from them. But, for non-physical
items, there is definitely a risk: digitial ownership does not appear
to be the same as physical ownership. Although I suppose the courts
will eventually sort this out. Or Congress, if it ever gets its sh*t
together.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<gf9uvipep1n2d4fvnbigihr29i165mj028@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97613&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97613

From: nospam@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:01:38 -0700
References: <sor4ul$83q$1@dont-email.me> <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>
 by: Bob Casanova - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:01 UTC

On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 20:14:44 -0400, the following appeared
in alt.books.david-weber, posted by WolfFan
<akwolffan@zoho.com>:

>On Mar 21, 2024, Lynn McGuire wrote
>(in article <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>):
>
>> On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>> > On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
>> > (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

>> > That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
>> > one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
>> > if the price falls.
>>
>> I would not hold my breath.
>>
>> Lynn
>
>the probability of my paying $15 for space vamires part 3 is extremely low.
>Gone are the days when I’d drop $20-25 or more on Weber in hardback. $15
>for an ebook is simply greed. Especially as I’m not too fond of the Kindle
>UI. and would have to deDRM it and convert it to EPUB to feed it to an ebook
>reader that I like. And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html

Two of those issues are easy to fix (not, unfortunately, the
greed of publishers); Calibre (which is free) has plugins to
deDRM every current format, including azw3, and will convert
between formats. And once it's in the Calibre library, which
is *far* superior to Kindle for PC, Amazon can't touch it.

>I don’t trust them.

Neither do I, but the above means I don't have to.

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utn9nc$3qgek$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97616&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97616

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:14:54 -0700
<utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com>
<utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com>
<utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com>
<uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>
<utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me> <s0utvipdv0nos852su7o37lfu319bk88oj@4ax.com>
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 23 Mar 2024 19:14 UTC

On 3/23/2024 8:45 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>> And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>>> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>>>
>>> I don’t trust them.
>>>
>> Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
>> reclaim THAT had to be first?!
>
> Much as I agree that reasonably-limited copyrights are helpful, what,
> exactly, is a vendor supposed to do when it finds that it has broken
> the law by selling something it has no right to sell? Go to jail? Pay
> ginormous fines [1] for copyright violation?
>
> I don't know if this is the case I remember, but, in the one I
> remember, the /real/ problem was that the book was an over-the-summer
> reading assignment requiring a book report -- and the notes the kid
> was planning to use for that report vanished as well.
>
> [1] At the rate of one fine per book sold, they will mount up
> endlessly.

Yes, part of what raised the volume on the screaming was that users'
notes and annotations had also been erased.

dirty old man.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<eonvvi5m7t1d7e74gfldrj65pl51dt5j3j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97622&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97622

From: newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au (Mad Hamish)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:07:30 +1100
References: <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com> <utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Mad Hamish - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:07 UTC

<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>>
>> I don’t trust them.
>>
>Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
>reclaim THAT had to be first?!

What were they meant to do when they found that the publisher didn't
have the rights to the book?

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<crnvvi1hdh3ddviqq0hq6bvb7ncs578qha@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97623&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97623

From: newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au (Mad Hamish)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:10:06 +1100
References: <sor4ul$83q$1@dont-email.me> <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Mad Hamish - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:10 UTC

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:29:08 -0500, Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/21/2024 5:47 AM, WolfFan wrote:
>> On Mar 20, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
>> (in article <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>):

>>> Is out. Got it from Amazon last week.
>>
>> That’s two space vampires since 2021 vs zero Safehold, Bazhel, Honor, and
>> one Murphy. And Amazon wants $15 for the Kindle version. I’ll hold and see
>> if the price falls.
>
>I would not hold my breath.

Pretty decent odds that the kindle price will drop when there's a
paperback release.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<l5h00jdc44ts29702ku3ql85klh55b125l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97629&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97629

From: psperson@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:25:02 -0700
References: <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com> <utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me> <s0utvipdv0nos852su7o37lfu319bk88oj@4ax.com> <utn9nc$3qgek$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Paul S Person - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:25 UTC

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:14:54 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 3/23/2024 8:45 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>>> And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have

>>> Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
>>> reclaim THAT had to be first?!
>>
>> Much as I agree that reasonably-limited copyrights are helpful, what,
>> exactly, is a vendor supposed to do when it finds that it has broken
>> the law by selling something it has no right to sell? Go to jail? Pay
>> ginormous fines [1] for copyright violation?
>>
>> I don't know if this is the case I remember, but, in the one I
>> remember, the /real/ problem was that the book was an over-the-summer
>> reading assignment requiring a book report -- and the notes the kid
>> was planning to use for that report vanished as well.
>>
>> [1] At the rate of one fine per book sold, they will mount up
>> endlessly.
>
>Yes, part of what raised the volume on the screaming was that users'
>notes and annotations had also been erased.

As it should have -- /that/ was actual damage sustained by the
customer. Just having to buy a legal copy if you wanted to finish the
book was merely inconvenient.

Speaking of Kindle annoyances -- my new Kindles (both old ones stopped
working on their own with no encouragement [such as being dropped]
from me) now show /every/ passage underlined that anyone else has
annotated and tells me how many annotators there are -- as part of
Whispersync. No option to drop this "feature" has been found so far.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utpgno$ec3b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97630&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97630

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 08:26:49 -0700
<utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com>
<utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com>
<utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com>
<uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me>
<0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com>
<utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me> <eonvvi5m7t1d7e74gfldrj65pl51dt5j3j@4ax.com>
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 15:26 UTC

On 3/24/2024 1:07 AM, Mad Hamish wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
>> And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have
>>> been known to reclaim ebooks. see
>>> https://www.pcworld.com/article/519855/amazon_kindle_1984_lawsuit.html
>>>
>>> I don’t trust them.
>>>
>> Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
>> reclaim THAT had to be first?!
>
> What were they meant to do when they found that the publisher didn't
> have the rights to the book?

Stop selling it, same as if it were physical printed copies.

dirty old man.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<0001HW.2BB0878C01BACFC5700008D0538F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97634&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97634

Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 12:08:44 -0400
From: akwolffan@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written, alt.books.david-weber
References: <usat72$lmh9$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2B9B61F000214E7770000666D38F@news.supernews.com> <utcqjj$10mqh$2@dont-email.me> <lpqkvipa44dkkluk1tipdpmtgj5iudtl4d@4ax.com> <utfa8p$1ksh8$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAB9C120093A24F70000AC8138F@news.supernews.com> <utfojc$1oibk$1@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAC47B000BBDAD970000BAF238F@news.supernews.com> <uticbl$2ffb5$2@dont-email.me> <0001HW.2BAE567401374F7C70000A0AE38F@news.supernews.com> <utlfkf$3d8s3$1@dont-email.me> <eonvvi5m7t1d7e74gfldrj65pl51dt5j3j@4ax.com> <utpgno$ec3b$1@dont-email.me>
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 16:08 UTC

On Mar 24, 2024, Dimensional Traveler wrote
(in article <utpgno$ec3b$1@dont-email.me>):

> On 3/24/2024 1:07 AM, Mad Hamish wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 19:43:30 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> > <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
> >
> > > On 3/22/2024 5:14 PM, WolfFan wrote:
> > > And to put it where Amazon can’t touch it; they have

> > > Ya, that whole incident was just stupid. And of all the titles to
> > > reclaim THAT had to be first?!
> >
> > What were they meant to do when they found that the publisher didn't
> > have the rights to the book?
>
> Stop selling it, same as if it were physical printed copies.

Exactly. Yanking it from custyomers’ devices was, and is, totally
unacceptable. The fact that they sold something that they shouldn’t have is
a THEM problem, not a CUSTOMER problem.

Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

<utpmsh$fpqj$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/arts/article-flat.php?id=97637&group=rec.arts.sf.written#97637

From: dtravel@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 10:11:46 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 17:11 UTC

On 3/24/2024 8:25 AM, Paul S Person wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 12:14:54 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 3/23/2024 8:45 AM, Paul S Person wrote:

>>> Much as I agree that reasonably-limited copyrights are helpful, what,
>>> exactly, is a vendor supposed to do when it finds that it has broken
>>> the law by selling something it has no right to sell? Go to jail? Pay
>>> ginormous fines [1] for copyright violation?
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is the case I remember, but, in the one I
>>> remember, the /real/ problem was that the book was an over-the-summer
>>> reading assignment requiring a book report -- and the notes the kid
>>> was planning to use for that report vanished as well.
>>>
>>> [1] At the rate of one fine per book sold, they will mount up
>>> endlessly.
>>
>> Yes, part of what raised the volume on the screaming was that users'
>> notes and annotations had also been erased.
>
> As it should have -- /that/ was actual damage sustained by the
> customer. Just having to buy a legal copy if you wanted to finish the
> book was merely inconvenient.
>
> Speaking of Kindle annoyances -- my new Kindles (both old ones stopped
> working on their own with no encouragement [such as being dropped]
> from me)

If one were paranoid or had ever dealt with a tech company before (but I
repeat myself) one might suspect deliberate remote bricking....

dirty old man.