From: nospam@buzz.off (Bob Casanova)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.books.david-weber
Subject: Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 15:34:47 -0700
 by: Bob Casanova - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 22:34 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:35:04 -0500, the following appeared
in alt.books.david-weber, posted by Lynn McGuire
<lynnmcguire5@gmail.com>:

> [...]
>series in the next couple of books, at which point we will tie it off
>with a bow. Jacob Holo and I will be writing the story of Edward
>Saganami shortly. Joelle and I are working on the next MULTIVERSE/HELL'S
>GATE book, and we know precisely where that series will ultimately end
>up. I don't know that I'll be here to see the final book, but I know
>what will be in it and I totally trust Joelle, Sharon, and Toni
>Weisskopf to get the series there with quality writing. Richard Fox and
>I have about 3 more books to bring Terrence Murphy's immediate story to
>a close, though we may go a tiny bit farther than that. We are looking
>at doing the second book in the Murphyverse later this fall/winter. It's
>already plotted and ready to go. Chris Kennedy and I just handed in the
>sequel to INTO THE LIGHT, and I think it's solid. I'm not sure how far
>we're going to get into that one, but I think we can keep our readers
>satisfied. And the only reason I'm not sure how far we'll get is that I
>set up a heck of a big enemy when I created the Hegemony, and it's
>likely to "end up" with a case of Mutually Assured Destruction rather
>than a clear cut military victory. Can't say that for sure; we got
>farther in the current book than we'd really expected. I need to sit
>down with Jane Lindskold some time in the next couple of months and lay
>out the writing outline for the next STAR KINGDOM novel. We are
>envisioning three more in that series, too. I have at least two more
>novels in SAFEHOLD (might be 3) at which point I will be at a thoroughly
>satisfying stopping point. (Could go farther if I brought in the right
>collaborator, but I don't think it's likely.) 3-4 more books in the
>SWORD OF THE SOUTH series, and then that's done.
>So, by my calculations, that's another 22 books I need to get written to
>wrap up my current series plans.
>I'm 70 this October. I sold the first novel thirty-three years ago.
>Since then, I have published (or have currently turned in, awaiting
>production) 74 solo and collaborative novels, which works out to roughly
>2.24 per year. That doesn't count the anthologies, of course.
>I lost roughly 2 years to the concussion, and about a year and a half to
>the Covid, so let's call it 30 years, not 33, which brings the
>production up to 2.5 per year. And let's assume that I write for another
>ten years, which (at the moment, and barring any anticipated encounters
>with mortality) seems entirely plausible. By my calculations, that comes
>to another TWENTY-FIVE solo and collaborative novels, in the process of
>which I will be working with some of my collaborators to establish them
>firmly in the existing universes going forward.
>People, like the characters in Richard Adams' PLAGUE DOGS, I'll probably
>still be writing "when the dark comes down." That means, obviously, that
>I won't be "finished" when I leave, but don't go around thinking that

2-3 more novels until Safehold finishes sounds about right.
And I'd *really* like to see a Prince Roger sequel or 3.

>That is an incredible amount of work for an old man who has already
>published 74 books in 33 years to that Aug 29, 2022 date.

It is indeed.

(Whaddya mean, "old man"?!? He was born when I was 7! ;-) )

--

Bob C.

'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'"

- Isaac Asimov

SubjectRepliesAuthor
o Re: "Mutineer's Moon (Dahak Series)" by David Weber

By: Lynn McGuire on Wed, 6 Mar 2024

39Lynn McGuire