"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: New BBC channels.

SubjectAuthor
* New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
+* Re: New BBC channels.Tim Jones
|+* Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
||+* Re: New BBC channels.Roderick Stewart
|||`- Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
||+- Re: New BBC channels.Scott
||`* Re: New BBC channels.Brian Gaff
|| `- Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
|`- Re: New BBC channels.Brian Gaff
+- Re: New BBC channels.Woody
+* Re: New BBC channels.John Williamson
|+* Re: New BBC channels.Scott
||`- Re: New BBC channels.John Williamson
|+* Re: New BBC channels.J. P. Gilliver
||`* Re: New BBC channels.Woody
|| `- Re: New BBC channels.Scott
|+- Re: New BBC channels.Scott
|`* Re: New BBC channels.Scott
| `- Re: New BBC channels.JMB99
+* Re: New BBC channels.JMB99
|`* Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
| `* Re: New BBC channels.charles
|  +* Re: New BBC channels.Woody
|  |+* Re: New BBC channels.Roderick Stewart
|  ||`* Re: New BBC channels.J. P. Gilliver
|  || `- Re: New BBC channels.jon
|  |`* Re: New BBC channels.Max Demian
|  | `- Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
|  `* Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
|   `* Re: New BBC channels.Scott
|    `- Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
+* Re: New BBC channels.Richard Tobin
|+* Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
||+- Re: New BBC channels.Woody
||`* Re: New BBC channels.Ashley Booth
|| `* Re: New BBC channels.Scott
||  `* Re: New BBC channels.Liz Tuddenham
||   +- Re: New BBC channels.charles
||   `- Re: New BBC channels.Scott
|`* Re: New BBC channels.J. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: New BBC channels.Brian Gaff
|  +- Re: New BBC channels.The Other John
|  `- Re: New BBC channels.Scott
`- Re: New BBC channels.Brian Gaff

Pages:12
Re: New BBC channels.

<N6JeeKmAEYxlFwkU@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10396&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10396

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:33:52 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: New BBC channels.
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:33 UTC

In message <4sdasitkm1haqmbuguv1sbcr1lq4p8729d@4ax.com> at Thu, 8 Feb
2024 20:20:38, Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
>On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:47:43 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
>wrote:
>
>>A few years (decades?) ago I got some CDs from the US of things like
>>Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne and The Navy Lark. Some seem to be of
[]
>>"Left hand down a teensey weasey bit Chief"
>>"Left hand down a teensey weasey bit it is Sir."
>
>Bona!
>
>Rod.

He still has his commission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefY7S7J9T4

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Re: New BBC channels.

<FaFcWhmyGYxlFwnr@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10397&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10397

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:36:50 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 01:36 UTC

In message <uq2j2v$1cn0$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk> at Thu, 8 Feb 2024
12:57:03, Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> writes
>In article <1qokkoi.1negrb8perhngN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
>Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
>>orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
>>revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
>>preconceived ideas?
>
>If they can't play that music because it wasn't recorded, I don't see
>why you think not playing it would be "to suit their preconceived
>ideas".
>
>-- Richard

Light music was the most popular, but the BBC and record companies
suppressed this fact, claiming that another genre was. The fact that
this resulted in little of it now being available to play does not
counter the rewriting.

Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Re: New BBC channels.

<l2maesF47pcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10399&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10399

From: removetab@snglinks.com (Ashley Booth)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: 9 Feb 2024 09:43:56 GMT
 by: Ashley Booth - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 09:43 UTC

Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <1qokkoi.1negrb8perhngN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>, Liz
> > Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no
> > > light orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how
> > > they plan to revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to
> > > suit their preconceived ideas?
> >
> > If they can't play that music because it wasn't recorded, I don't
> > see why you think not playing it would be "to suit their
> > preconceived ideas".
>
> Compared with the amount that was broadcast live, very little has
> survived on record and the immense popularity it enjoyed has been
> ignored. The BBC has attempted to re-write history by abolishing the
> term "Light Music" and, as far as recent generations are concerned,
> they have succeeded. The modern preconceived ideas are based on what
> the BBC tells people happened, not on what actually happened.
>
> Look back at copies of the Radio Times from the 1950s and see how much
> of the Light Programme's output was light music, compared to 'pop'.
> That's what really happened.

My memories of 'light music' was mainly:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Something_Simple

I turned the radio off when that came on!
--

Re: New BBC channels.

<tnvbsitdqcqll0n9rq9qlsvl78iov4puf8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10402&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10402

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 10:32:27 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 10:32 UTC

On 9 Feb 2024 09:43:56 GMT, "Ashley Booth" <removetab@snglinks.com>
wrote:

>Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>
>> Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > In article
>> > <1qokkoi.1negrb8perhngN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>, Liz

>> > If they can't play that music because it wasn't recorded, I don't
>> > see why you think not playing it would be "to suit their
>> > preconceived ideas".
>>
>> Compared with the amount that was broadcast live, very little has
>> survived on record and the immense popularity it enjoyed has been
>> ignored. The BBC has attempted to re-write history by abolishing the
>> term "Light Music" and, as far as recent generations are concerned,
>> they have succeeded. The modern preconceived ideas are based on what
>> the BBC tells people happened, not on what actually happened.
>>
>> Look back at copies of the Radio Times from the 1950s and see how much
>> of the Light Programme's output was light music, compared to 'pop'.
>> That's what really happened.
>
>My memories of 'light music' was mainly:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Something_Simple
>
>I turned the radio off when that came on!

The deal in our house was that we were allowed to listen to Pick of
the Pops (Alan Freeman) in return for my dad listening to Sing
Something Simple.

Re: New BBC channels.

<1qontva.1nwlsk1jap94sN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10403&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10403

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:14:19 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:14 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Feb 2024 09:43:56 GMT, "Ashley Booth" <removetab@snglinks.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Liz Tuddenham wrote:

> >> Compared with the amount that was broadcast live, very little has
> >> survived on record and the immense popularity it enjoyed has been
> >> ignored. The BBC has attempted to re-write history by abolishing the
> >> term "Light Music" and, as far as recent generations are concerned,
> >> they have succeeded. The modern preconceived ideas are based on what
> >> the BBC tells people happened, not on what actually happened.
> >>
> >> Look back at copies of the Radio Times from the 1950s and see how much
> >> of the Light Programme's output was light music, compared to 'pop'.
> >> That's what really happened.
> >
> >My memories of 'light music' was mainly:
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Something_Simple
> >
> >I turned the radio off when that came on!
>
> The deal in our house was that we were allowed to listen to Pick of
> the Pops (Alan Freeman) in return for my dad listening to Sing
> Something Simple.

That would have been in the 1960s, when the change was under way. The
BBC is claiming that the new channel will play popular music from the
1950s, but I suspect they don't even know what that was.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: New BBC channels.

<5b30032921charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10406&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10406

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 24 14:00:03 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 14:00 UTC

In article <1qontva.1nwlsk1jap94sN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> > On 9 Feb 2024 09:43:56 GMT, "Ashley Booth" <removetab@snglinks.com>
> > wrote:

> > >My memories of 'light music' was mainly:
> > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Something_Simple
> > >
> > >I turned the radio off when that came on!
> >
> > The deal in our house was that we were allowed to listen to Pick of
> > the Pops (Alan Freeman) in return for my dad listening to Sing
> > Something Simple.

> That would have been in the 1960s, when the change was under way. The
> BBC is claiming that the new channel will play popular music from the
> 1950s, but I suspect they don't even know what that was.

They could always ask us BBC pensioners

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: New BBC channels.

<ddocsilfjaulhkj98edppnocaifsroujl9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10407&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10407

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2024 17:35:33 +0000
 by: Scott - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 17:35 UTC

On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 12:14:19 +0000, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 9 Feb 2024 09:43:56 GMT, "Ashley Booth" <removetab@snglinks.com>
>> wrote:

>> >My memories of 'light music' was mainly:
>> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Something_Simple
>> >
>> >I turned the radio off when that came on!
>>
>> The deal in our house was that we were allowed to listen to Pick of
>> the Pops (Alan Freeman) in return for my dad listening to Sing
>> Something Simple.
>
>That would have been in the 1960s, when the change was under way. The
>BBC is claiming that the new channel will play popular music from the
>1950s, but I suspect they don't even know what that was.

Early 70s. I believe Tom Browne replaced Alan Freeman in 1972. My
parents met Tom Browne once on a ferry to Denmark but we never made
the connection.

Re: New BBC channels.

<uq7kuj$34p5b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10409&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10409

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:59:31 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 10:59 UTC

On 08/02/2024 11:47, Woody wrote:
> On Thu 08/02/2024 11:15, charles wrote:
>> In article <1qolqqr.10djtmoyxt6gwN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
>>     Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Popular music shows were rarely recorded and kept.  With orchestras on
>>> hand, the performances were often live and recordings for repeats were
>>> destroyed after transmission because of copyright restrictions (they
>>> were 'deemed' not to exist).
>>
>>> There are commercial recordings of music from that era, but the
>>> repertoire is fairly limited.  It was much more common for a popular
>>> tune to be played by many different orchestras, each with their own
>>> distinctive style, so the BBC could broadcast considerable variety with
>>> only a small repertoire of tunes.  A commercial recording represented a
>>> significant investment for a record company, so they would only record
>>> one version of the tune (or at most two) by whichever orchestra they
>>> already had under contract, that they thought was best suited to it.
>>
>>> A significant proportion of the early editions of the BBC training
>>> handbook "The Technique of the Sound Studio" by Alec Nisbett and BBC
>>> training notes for Studio Managers is given over to microphone placement
>>> for recording solo instruments, small combinations of instruments and
>>> light orchestras for popular music.  It was a normal bread-and-butter
>>> thing to book a studio, a small band or orchestra, a soloist and an
>>> announcer* to produce a 'live' half-hour light music programme; very
>>> rarely was there any need to record one.
>>
>>> The best source of recordings would be transcription discs for
>>> distribution to overseas transmitting staions and military bases, but
>>> there were often destroyed after they had served their purpose.  A lot
>>> of the surviving ones are in bad condition and the equipment to play
>>> them properly is very specialised because they were not recorded to RIAA
>>> standards.  A lot of American material of this type has survived, but
>>> relatively little British.
>>

>>> *...and of course, a Studio Engineer, but nobody was concerned about
>>> them.
>>
>> Last year, I managed to buy a couple of CDs which have been made of
>> recordings of the BBC Scottish Variety  and Scottish Radio Orchestras.
>>

> A few years (decades?) ago I got some CDs from the US of things like
> Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne and The Navy Lark. Some seem to be of
> original quality but a couple had obviously been recorded off AM radio!
> Still good listening nonetheless - they don't make clever and really
> funny programs like that any more!
>
> "Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy - ooh, its Mr Horne isn't
> it?"

"Most of our time is taken up with a criminal practice," (when they were
posing as lawyers).

Apparently "cottage upright" has an alternative meaning to a type of piano.

(It's not clear how much of their"polari" is genuine.)

--
Max Demian

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqaafl$uodd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10411&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10411

From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 11:19:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 11:19 UTC

On Fri, 09 Feb 2024 01:33:52 +0000, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> In message <4sdasitkm1haqmbuguv1sbcr1lq4p8729d@4ax.com> at Thu, 8 Feb
> 2024 20:20:38, Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> writes
>>On Thu, 8 Feb 2024 11:47:43 +0000, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>A few years (decades?) ago I got some CDs from the US of things like
>>>Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne and The Navy Lark. Some seem to be of
> []
>>>"Left hand down a teensey weasey bit Chief"
>>>"Left hand down a teensey weasey bit it is Sir."
>>
>>Bona!
>>
>>Rod.
>
> He still has his commission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefY7S7J9T4

No reversing camera....no excuse nowadays.

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqahlr$vtpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10412&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10412

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:22:02 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:22 UTC

Knowing them, the latter. I think they have been beaten to the sort of thing
they are talking about by Boom Radio, which seems to have many of the people
they gave the shove to on it.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Liz Tuddenham" <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>I see one of the proposed new BBC radio stations (channels?) intends
> broadcasting popular music from the 1950, '60s and '70s. From the
> interviews I have heard so far, it appears that they don't realise that
> by far the most popular music in the 1950s was light orchestral and
> nothing like the 'pop' music of the '60s.
>
> As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
> orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
> revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
> preconceived ideas?
>
> --
> ~ Liz Tuddenham ~
> (Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)
> www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqahrf$vum0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10413&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10413

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:25:03 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:25 UTC

Actually, you can still get Manitoban and the other main contenders
remastered now on digital.
I've been looking for stations on line that do this, but I cannot find any,
but you can certainly make up your own playlist if you want to.
Brian

--

--:
"Tim Jones" <timjones@invalid.invlaid> wrote in message
> On 07/02/2024 18:09, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>> I see one of the proposed new BBC radio stations (channels?) intends
>> broadcasting popular music from the 1950, '60s and '70s. From the
>> interviews I have heard so far, it appears that they don't realise that
>> by far the most popular music in the 1950s was light orchestral and
>> nothing like the 'pop' music of the '60s.
>>
>> As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
>> orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
>> revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
>> preconceived ideas?
>>

> Obviously never heard of Rock n Roll, Elvis etc

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqai13$vv7j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10414&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10414

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:28:02 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:28 UTC

I think one of the channels should be called after the watershed and be a
mixture of phone in and guests from all the different sexual orientations
and fetishes, You could even have the erotic novel hour. grin. Note BBC
Sussex used to have a program called after the watershed much like this.
Brian

--

--:
> Tim Jones <timjones@invalid.invlaid> wrote:
>
>> On 07/02/2024 18:09, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>> > I see one of the proposed new BBC radio stations (channels?) intends
>> > broadcasting popular music from the 1950, '60s and '70s. From the
>> > interviews I have heard so far, it appears that they don't realise that
>> > by far the most popular music in the 1950s was light orchestral and
>> > nothing like the 'pop' music of the '60s.
>> >
>> > As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
>> > orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
>> > revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
>> > preconceived ideas?
>> >

>> Obviously never heard of Rock n Roll, Elvis etc
>
> That was a very niche market which didn't develop in the UK until the
> '60s.
>
> --
> ~ Liz Tuddenham ~
> (Remove the ".invalid"s and add ".co.uk" to reply)
> www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqaio2$102tc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10415&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10415

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:40:18 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:40 UTC

I think what is meant is that many of those who are talking about all this
were not even born back then. Jimmy Young for example was a big band singer,
indeed he recorded for Polidor. So on the earlier incarnations of his show,
he would sing in front of a bbc orchestra. Very few actual records were
played.
Who remembers Victor Sylvester and his strict tempo renderings of music
for dancing to, or the guy who did the Latin stuff, whose name escapes me.
Apparently it is said that one of the younger orchestra leaders at the BBC
used to Moonlight as Lord Rockingham, with a tailed jacket and jiggled
around while conducting a set of musicians who used to also play for the
bbc, as Lord Rockinghams 11.
Brian

--

--:
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in message
> In message <uq2j2v$1cn0$1@macpro.inf.ed.ac.uk> at Thu, 8 Feb 2024
> 12:57:03, Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> writes
>>In article <1qokkoi.1negrb8perhngN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
>>Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
>>>orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
>>>revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
>>>preconceived ideas?
>>
>>If they can't play that music because it wasn't recorded, I don't see
>>why you think not playing it would be "to suit their preconceived
>>ideas".
>>
>>-- Richard
>
> Light music was the most popular, but the BBC and record companies
> suppressed this fact, claiming that another genre was. The fact that this
> resulted in little of it now being available to play does not counter the
> rewriting.
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
>
> Science fiction is escape into reality - Arthur C Clarke

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqan10$10nn4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10417&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10417

From: nomail@here.org (The Other John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:53:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: The Other John - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 14:53 UTC

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:40:18 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

> the guy who did the Latin stuff, whose name escapes me.

Would that have been Edmundo Ross?

--
TOJ.

Re: New BBC channels.

<1qorzyw.1s1jnge55in94N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10420&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10420

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 18:45:22 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 18:45 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think one of the channels should be called after the watershed and be a
> mixture of phone in and guests from all the different sexual orientations
> and fetishes, You could even have the erotic novel hour. grin. Note BBC
> Sussex used to have a program called after the watershed much like this.

It's been done before:

Tanya Glyde use to host the "Midnight Sex Show" on Resonance FM about 20
years ago. It was a well-produced and informative programme on a
subject that most people felt they did not dare ask about. On one
occasion she did a review of sex toys from the annual exhibition of sex
toy manufacturers and on aonther occasion she had represetatives of the
English Collection of Prostitutes in the studio and interviewed them
about several serious matters affecting their trade.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: New BBC channels.

<1qos0dq.2d5vfi16uswowN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10421&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10421

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2024 18:45:22 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 18:45 UTC

Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:

[...]

> > A few years (decades?) ago I got some CDs from the US of things like
> > Beyond Our Ken/Round The Horne and The Navy Lark. Some seem to be of
> > original quality but a couple had obviously been recorded off AM radio!
> > Still good listening nonetheless - they don't make clever and really
> > funny programs like that any more!
> >
> > "Hello, I'm Julian and this is my friend Sandy - ooh, its Mr Horne isn't
> > it?"
>
> "Most of our time is taken up with a criminal practice," (when they were
> posing as lawyers).
>
> Apparently "cottage upright" has an alternative meaning to a type of piano.
>
> (It's not clear how much of their"polari" is genuine.)

That was from the '60s and '70s. Comedy in the '50s was "Take it From
Here", "Much Binding in the Marsh" (I can remember hearing an original
broadcast of that) followed later by "Beyond Our Ken", "Meet the
Huggets", "Ray's a Laugh", "Life with the Lyons" ..etc.

"Meet the Huggets" was partly written by Mabel Constanduros and her
nephew Dennis. She had written the very firat radio comedy to be
broadcast on 2LO: "The Buggins's", where she played most of the parts
herself. Commercial recordings of her from the 1920s still survive.

Dennis wrote "At the Luscombes", a comedy sit-com which was broadcast on
the West of England Home Service in the 1950s. It was recorded 'as
live' on disc because the actors were nearly all local amateurs with day
jobs and couldn't spare the time twice a week to make the repeat
broadcast. Fortunately some of those discs survive.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: New BBC channels.

<togssihrtc5u7crire341v2sv8npvtoero@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10470&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10470

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:01:01 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:01 UTC

On Wed, 7 Feb 2024 19:21:41 +0000, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 07/02/2024 18:09, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
>> I see one of the proposed new BBC radio stations (channels?) intends
>> broadcasting popular music from the 1950, '60s and '70s. From the
>> interviews I have heard so far, it appears that they don't realise that
>> by far the most popular music in the 1950s was light orchestral and
>> nothing like the 'pop' music of the '60s.
>>
>> As very little of that has survived on records and the BBC has no light
>> orchestras any more, it will be interesting to hear how they plan to
>> revive it -- or will they just rewrite history to suit their
>> preconceived ideas?
>>
>What I heard suggests that the new stations will, basically, be on the
>same pattern as many of the commercial stations. The "new" radio 3
>sounds remarkably like Classic FM for instance.
>
>As the BBC claim to be too strapped for cash as it is, where is the
>money to run these extra stations coming from?

Even if it is very little money, the message to the BBC's opponents
will be that it is overfunded.

Re: New BBC channels.

<frgssi1pq68b9mq55f6d0775itkkd091jj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10471&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10471

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:03:24 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 17:03 UTC

<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>I think what is meant is that many of those who are talking about all this
>were not even born back then. Jimmy Young for example was a big band singer,
>indeed he recorded for Polidor. So on the earlier incarnations of his show,
>he would sing in front of a bbc orchestra. Very few actual records were
>played.

More than that, he famously had a number one with 'Unchained Melody'.

Re: New BBC channels.

<uqljge$3dp5b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=10472&group=uk.tech.broadcast#10472

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:00:47 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 15 Feb 2024 18:00 UTC

On 15/02/2024 17:01, Scott wrote:
> Even if it is very little money, the message to the BBC's opponents
> will be that it is overfunded.

Whatever they do, they will accused of that by their enemies.