Brogan's Constant: People tend to congregate in the back of the church and the front of the bus.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Fibre 2

SubjectAuthor
* Fibre 2Harry Bloomfield Esq
+* Re: Fibre 2The Natural Philosopher
|+* Re: Fibre 2Andy Burns
||+* Re: Fibre 2The Natural Philosopher
|||`* Re: Fibre 2Joe
||| `- Re: Fibre 2Ian
||+* Re: Fibre 2Peter Johnson
|||+* Re: Fibre 2Tim Lamb
|||`* Re: Fibre 2John Armstrong
||| `* Re: Fibre 2mm0fmf
|||  `- Re: Fibre 2Roland Perry
||`- Re: Fibre 2alan_m
|+- Re: Fibre 2John Rumm
|`- Re: Fibre 2Marland
`* Re: Fibre 2ajh
 `- Re: Fibre 2Robert

Pages:12
Fibre 2

<urcek2$13h48$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125502&group=uk.d-i-y#125502

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Fibre 2
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:58:25 +0000
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 09:58 UTC

Separate thread, related to the previous one...

Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and change
ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to change
suppliers, please?

At the moment we have FTTC, delivered overhead, via a pole. Along the
street we have access boxes (Virgin??), at every drive. Another fibre
supplier has been down the street, adding yet another fibre cable.

How big a job will it be to simply swap suppliers in the future, once
forced to fibre?

Re: Fibre 2

<urcg0i$14ua1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125503&group=uk.d-i-y#125503

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fibre 2
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:22:10 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:22 UTC

On 24/02/2024 09:58, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Separate thread, related to the previous one...
>
> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and change
> ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to change
> suppliers, please?
>
> At the moment we have FTTC, delivered overhead, via a pole. Along the
> street we have access boxes (Virgin??), at every drive. Another fibre
> supplier has been down the street, adding yet another fibre cable.
>
> How big a job will it be to simply swap suppliers in the future, once
> forced to fibre?

Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent it.

In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with them
as an ISP.

At least that is my current understanding.

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Re: Fibre 2

<l3u03iF9jglU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125506&group=uk.d-i-y#125506

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52:35 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52 UTC

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>
>> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and
>> change ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to
>> change suppliers, please?
>
> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent it.

Though not all ISPs may choose to provide fibre, e.g. for reasons best
known to themselves, Plusnet only started offering FTTP quite recently.

> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with them
> as an ISP.

I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...

Re: Fibre 2

<urcjoj$15m6b$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125510&group=uk.d-i-y#125510

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:26:11 +0000
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:26 UTC

On 24/02/2024 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>>
>>> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and
>>> change ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to
>>> change suppliers, please?
>>
>> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent
>> it.
>
> Though not all ISPs may choose to provide fibre, e.g. for reasons best
> known to themselves, Plusnet only started offering FTTP quite recently.
>
>> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with
>> them as an ISP.
>
> I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
> multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...

I didn't know that: it is good to hear.

--
There’s a mighty big difference between good, sound reasons and reasons
that sound good.

Burton Hillis (William Vaughn, American columnist)

Re: Fibre 2

<20240224120640.180be283@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125511&group=uk.d-i-y#125511

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:06:40 +0000
 by: Joe - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 12:06 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:26:11 +0000
The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> On 24/02/2024 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:
> > The Natural Philosopher wrote:

> >> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can
> >> rent it.
> >
> > Though not all ISPs may choose to provide fibre, e.g. for reasons
> > best known to themselves, Plusnet only started offering FTTP quite
> > recently.
> >> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck
> >> with them as an ISP.
> >
> > I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common
> > carrier to multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...
> >
> I didn't know that: it is good to hear.

https://uk.openinfra.com/

This lot are in my area at the moment. They are claiming any ISP can
work with them, though they are only offering one at the moment.
Chicken and egg, I suppose.

--
Joe

Re: Fibre 2

<slrnutjqg7.d29.${send-direct-email-to-news1021-at-jusme-dot-com-if@vm46.home.jusme.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125512&group=uk.d-i-y#125512

From: ${send-direct-email-to-news1021-at-jusme-dot-com-if-you-must}@jusme.com (Ian)
<${send-direct-email-to-news1021-at-jusme-dot-com-if-you-must}@jusme.com>
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:07:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ian - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 13:07 UTC

On 2024-02-24, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 11:26:11 +0000
> The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>> > Though not all ISPs may choose to provide fibre, e.g. for reasons
>> > best known to themselves, Plusnet only started offering FTTP quite
>> > recently.
>> >
>> > I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common
>> > carrier to multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...
>> >
>> I didn't know that: it is good to hear.
>>
> https://uk.openinfra.com/
>
> This lot are in my area at the moment. They are claiming any ISP can
> work with them, though they are only offering one at the moment.
> Chicken and egg, I suppose.

CityFibre (PHY) with Zen (ISP) here in sunny Wolverhampton.

We also still have Virgin cable (coax) as a backup, though Virgin also
offer a fibre service now, so wondering how long they are going to keep
the cable offering, and what happens if they force us to fibre[1].
Will they kick off Zen, or throw another fibre line over the fence,
which would hardly be resilient?

[1] It won't be immediately, because their cable TV offering still
requires an actual coax cable connection, and won't work just using
IP. I know this, because the cheapest offer we could get for broadband
required us to also take the TV offering. OOI, I hooked up their TV box
to their broadband and it all worked wonderfully, menus, interactive
and EPG, right up to the point where you launch the content, at which
point it whines about no service. Unfortunately the cable termination
is in the server room[2], and the TV is downstairs, so thats not going
to happen. At least we're paying a negative amount for this service
we can't use :)

[2] Upstaris spare bedroom...

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Re: Fibre 2

<hpvjtihof68noa87mng72q78ddfq15v1fo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125515&group=uk.d-i-y#125515

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 14:38:24 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 14:38 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52:35 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
>multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...

Their website is a good source of information. https://cityfibre.com/

Re: Fibre 2

<l3ufj0Fbqt6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125519&group=uk.d-i-y#125519

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:16:49 +0000
 by: alan_m - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:16 UTC

On 24/02/2024 10:52, Andy Burns wrote:
> The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>>
>>> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and
>>> change ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to
>>> change suppliers, please?
>>
>> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent
>> it.
>
> Though not all ISPs may choose to provide fibre, e.g. for reasons best
> known to themselves, Plusnet only started offering FTTP quite recently.
>
>> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with
>> them as an ISP.
>
> I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
> multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...

My fibre was installed by Cityfibre but I pay (for the fibre and
internet connection) Zen internet as my ISP. I also pay Zen for their
digital voice and connect my conventional (DECT) answerphone basestation
into the back of the Zen supplied Fritzbox router.

In my area Vodafone, TalkTalk, Giganet and Zen are currently Cityfibre
partners, with maybe more ISPs to join in the future.

Re: Fibre 2

<$9QPGInjvj2lFwKW@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125527&group=uk.d-i-y#125527

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:56:35 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 18:56 UTC

In message <hpvjtihof68noa87mng72q78ddfq15v1fo@4ax.com>, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> writes
>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52:35 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>wrote:
>

>>I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
>>multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...
>
>Their website is a good source of information. https://cityfibre.com/

Plusnet are not offering anything with fibre here:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre 2

<l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125528&group=uk.d-i-y#125528

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:02:05 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 19:02 UTC

Tim Lamb wrote:

> Plusnet are not offering anything with fibre here:-(

That's because nobody will be yet ...

Re: Fibre 2

<urdj8u$1c9gg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125531&group=uk.d-i-y#125531

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 20:23:58 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 20:23 UTC

> On 24/02/2024 09:58, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> Separate thread, related to the previous one...
>>
>> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and
>> change ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to
>> change suppliers, please?
>>
>> At the moment we have FTTC, delivered overhead, via a pole. Along the
>> street we have access boxes (Virgin??), at every drive. Another fibre
>> supplier has been down the street, adding yet another fibre cable.
>>
>> How big a job will it be to simply swap suppliers in the future, once
>> forced to fibre?
>
> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent it.
>
> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with them
> as an ISP.
>
> At least that is my current understanding.

Yup mine also. Also worth noting that not all ISPs have a full range of
FTTP products as yet - but that is changing.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre 2

<l40ebtFks7pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125542&group=uk.d-i-y#125542

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:08:13 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 09:08 UTC

On 24/02/2024 14:38, Peter Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52:35 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
>> multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...
>
> Their website is a good source of information. https://cityfibre.com/

I would dispute that. Cityfibre installed fibre in my part of Dundee two
or more years ago. Their website postcode checker tells me that I live
in "a private road". I don't. After the initial installation, I have
seen no sign of anyone taking their service.

I've had Virgin fttc for years. It's currently giving me >550 Mbps down
and >50 Mbs up, so I (and presumably others) see no need to change.

Re: Fibre 2

<urf5du$1q32c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125546&group=uk.d-i-y#125546

From: none@invalid.com (mm0fmf)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:39:57 +0000
 by: mm0fmf - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 10:39 UTC

On 25/02/2024 09:08, John Armstrong wrote:
> On 24/02/2024 14:38, Peter Johnson wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 10:52:35 +0000, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I gather CityFibre (in some? of their areas) act as a common carrier to
>>> multiple ISPs, so there is no lock-in ...
>>
>> Their website is a good source of information. https://cityfibre.com/
>
> I would dispute that. Cityfibre installed fibre in my part of Dundee two
> or more years ago. Their website postcode checker tells me that I live
> in "a private road". I don't. After the initial installation, I have
> seen no sign of anyone taking their service.
>
> I've had Virgin fttc for years. It's currently giving me >550 Mbps down
> and >50 Mbs up, so I (and presumably others) see no need to change.

The only reason to change is the eye-watering cost of Virgin's service.
I can get the same speed fibre connection via various ISPs on recently
fitted Openreach fibres for 65-75% of the same package on Virgin.

Cityfibre is even cheaper. A work colleague who lives about a mile away
has a Cityfibre 900/900 package for less than any packages on OpenReach
and fabulously cheaper than Virgin.

Re: Fibre 2

<6qXWvxM2t$2lFA7P@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125592&group=uk.d-i-y#125592

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:46:14 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:46 UTC

In message <l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>, at 19:02:05 on Sat, 24
Feb 2024, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> remarked:
>Tim Lamb wrote:
>
>> Plusnet are not offering anything with fibre here:-(
>
>That's because nobody will be yet ...

That's not true. Just because fibre has been fairly recently installed
in the street doesn't mean every ISP will suddenly offer service over
it. Plusnet for example is BT's bargain basement offering, and may be
one of the last to get their act together.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fibre 2

<n6FRLJN$u$2lFAZ1@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125593&group=uk.d-i-y#125593

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:47:27 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 02:47 UTC

In message <urf5du$1q32c$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:39:57 on Sun, 25 Feb
2024, mm0fmf <none@invalid.com> remarked:
>On 25/02/2024 09:08, John Armstrong wrote:
>> On 24/02/2024 14:38, Peter Johnson wrote:

>>> Their website is a good source of information. https://cityfibre.com/

>> I would dispute that. Cityfibre installed fibre in my part of Dundee
>>two or more years ago. Their website postcode checker tells me that I
>>live in "a private road". I don't. After the initial installation, I
>>have seen no sign of anyone taking their service.
>> I've had Virgin fttc for years. It's currently giving me >550 Mbps
>>down and >50 Mbs up, so I (and presumably others) see no need to
>>change.
>
>The only reason to change is the eye-watering cost of Virgin's service.
>I can get the same speed fibre connection via various ISPs on recently
>fitted Openreach fibres for 65-75% of the same package on Virgin.
>
>Cityfibre is even cheaper.

In the short term. Just wait until the introductory offers expire, and
over-inflation price increases kick in.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Fibre 2

<xn0oij1to5kmbj600k@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125597&group=uk.d-i-y#125597

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Feb 2024 08:15:59 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 08:15 UTC

On 26/02/2024 in message <6qXWvxM2t$2lFA7P@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:

>In message <l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>, at 19:02:05 on Sat, 24 Feb
>2024, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> remarked:
>>Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>>Plusnet are not offering anything with fibre here:-(
>>
>>That's because nobody will be yet ...
>
>That's not true. Just because fibre has been fairly recently installed in
>the street doesn't mean every ISP will suddenly offer service over it.
>Plusnet for example is BT's bargain basement offering, and may be one of
>the last to get their act together.

I think I'd put Plusnet at the other end of the scale, they may be bargain
basement but they are usually quick off the mark. Only problem is their
call centre is in Yorkshire so the accent may be difficult if you are
used to Mumbai!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Captcha is thinking of stopping the use of pictures with traffic lights as

Re: Fibre 2

<urien7$2khpi$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125624&group=uk.d-i-y#125624

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:36:56 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 16:36 UTC

On 26/02/2024 02:46, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>, at 19:02:05 on Sat, 24
> Feb 2024, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> remarked:
>> Tim Lamb wrote:
>>
>>> Plusnet are not offering anything with fibre here:-(
>>
>> That's because nobody will be yet ...
>
> That's not true. Just because fibre has been fairly recently installed
> in the street doesn't mean every ISP will suddenly offer service over
> it. Plusnet for example is BT's bargain basement offering, and may be
> one of the last to get their act together.

Ironic when you consider they normally out perform BT at every turn :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: Fibre 2

<tDlDFdh7hN3lFASi@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125632&group=uk.d-i-y#125632

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:29:15 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 18:29 UTC

In message <xn0oij1to5kmbj600k@news.individual.net>, at 08:15:59 on Mon,
26 Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:
>On 26/02/2024 in message <6qXWvxM2t$2lFA7P@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:
>
>>In message <l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>, at 19:02:05 on Sat, 24
>>Feb 2024, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> remarked:

>>>That's because nobody will be yet ...
>>
>>That's not true. Just because fibre has been fairly recently installed
>>in the street doesn't mean every ISP will suddenly offer service over
>>it. Plusnet for example is BT's bargain basement offering, and may be
>>one of the last to get their act together.
>
>I think I'd put Plusnet at the other end of the scale, they may be
>bargain basement but they are usually quick off the mark.

My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.

>Only problem is their call centre is in Yorkshire so the accent may be
>difficult if you are used to Mumbai!

--
Roland Perry

Re: Fibre 2

<RF0EIFy2SO3lFw1I@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125634&group=uk.d-i-y#125634

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:21:26 +0000
 by: Tim Lamb - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:21 UTC

In message <tDlDFdh7hN3lFASi@perry.uk>, Roland Perry
<roland@perry.co.uk> writes
>In message <xn0oij1to5kmbj600k@news.individual.net>, at 08:15:59 on
>Mon, 26 Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:
>>On 26/02/2024 in message <6qXWvxM2t$2lFA7P@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>>In message <l3uspdFce5uU3@mid.individual.net>, at 19:02:05 on Sat, 24
>>>Feb 2024, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> remarked:

>>>That's not true. Just because fibre has been fairly recently
>>>installed in the street doesn't mean every ISP will suddenly offer
>>>service over it. Plusnet for example is BT's bargain basement
>>>offering, and may be one of the last to get their act together.
>>
>>I think I'd put Plusnet at the other end of the scale, they may be
>>bargain basement but they are usually quick off the mark.
>
>My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.
>
>>Only problem is their call centre is in Yorkshire so the accent may be
>>difficult if you are used to Mumbai!

The bloke doing some work at the pole this afternoon told me he was
employed by Openreach!

He looked pleased when I said that the remaining Hawthorn hedge near the
pole would be trimmed by hand rather than the farm tractor mounted
hedger:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Fibre 2

<xn0oijmbddk0w1002@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125636&group=uk.d-i-y#125636

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 26 Feb 2024 21:13:53 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 21:13 UTC

On 26/02/2024 in message <tDlDFdh7hN3lFASi@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:

>>I think I'd put Plusnet at the other end of the scale, they may be bargain
>>basement but they are usually quick off the mark.
>
>My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.

That's a pity, I've used them for many years and they have been
excellent at fixing the occasional problem, as long as you follow their
system.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Have you ever noticed that all the instruments searching for intelligent

Re: Fibre 2

<XJLtne0CLS3lFAkf@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125642&group=uk.d-i-y#125642

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:46:10 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 23:46 UTC

In message <xn0oijmbddk0w1002@news.individual.net>, at 21:13:53 on Mon,
26 Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:
>On 26/02/2024 in message <tDlDFdh7hN3lFASi@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:
>
>>>I think I'd put Plusnet at the other end of the scale, they may be
>>>bargain basement but they are usually quick off the mark.
>>
>>My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.
>
>That's a pity, I've used them for many years and they have
>been excellent at fixing the occasional problem, as long as you follow
>their system.

Fixing things they've installed, and being prepared to install the
latest new shiny product, are disjoint.

For example my current broadband technology was only available from
Talktalk (and resellers) on Openreach infrastructure, and despite being
installed over a year ago to my telegraph pole, the "full fibre" (FTTP)
upgrade is only available from Sky, Talktalk and Vodafone. [And we don't
have Virgin media infrastructure]

Meanwhile the most over-promised and under-delivered broadband I've ever
had was Plusnet (different town).
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fibre 2

<l44nikFaot5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125643&group=uk.d-i-y#125643

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Feb 2024 00:09:56 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:09 UTC

The Natural Philosopher <tnp@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 24/02/2024 09:58, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
>> Separate thread, related to the previous one...
>>
>> Previously, on a copper connection, I have been free to swap and change
>> ISP's. How does the change to fibre, affect the ability to change
>> suppliers, please?
>>
>> At the moment we have FTTC, delivered overhead, via a pole. Along the
>> street we have access boxes (Virgin??), at every drive. Another fibre
>> supplier has been down the street, adding yet another fibre cable.
>>
>> How big a job will it be to simply swap suppliers in the future, once
>> forced to fibre?
>
> Well in terms of Openreach fibre, OFCOM dictates that any ISP can rent it.
>
> In the case of private fibre firms, you are likely to be stuck with them
> as an ISP.
>
> At least that is my current understanding.

A company called Wessex Internet is busy installing a new fibre network in
the area around here on the Hampshire-Dorset border , all their own
infrastructure with buried fibre. From here they will be moving Southwards
into the New Forest. At the moment only their offerings are available on
their website but that does say that the network is an open access
wholesale network and will be available to other ISP providers .
As they are getting £14 Million from the government to provide this high
speed gigabyte network
perhaps the open access element is a condition of the contract, other new
providers elsewhere
may be doing things differently.

GH

Re: Fibre 2

<l44of6FattdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125644&group=uk.d-i-y#125644

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Feb 2024 00:25:10 GMT
<XJLtne0CLS3lFAkf@perry.uk>
 by: Marland - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:25 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
> In message <xn0oijmbddk0w1002@news.individual.net>, at 21:13:53 on Mon,
> 26 Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:

>>> My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.
>>
>> That's a pity, I've used them for many years and they have
>> been excellent at fixing the occasional problem, as long as you follow
>> their system.
>
> Fixing things they've installed, and being prepared to install the
> latest new shiny product, are disjoint.
>
> For example my current broadband technology was only available from
> Talktalk (and resellers) on Openreach infrastructure, and despite being
> installed over a year ago to my telegraph pole, the "full fibre" (FTTP)
> upgrade is only available from Sky, Talktalk and Vodafone. [And we don't
> have Virgin media infrastructure]
>
> Meanwhile the most over-promised and under-delivered broadband I've ever
> had was Plusnet (different town).

The cost of contracts as pushed in their commercials were not available via
some exchanges including ours, when you found what the rate would really be
it was not the bargain they were promoting so we were never tempted to
change.

GH

Re: Fibre 2

<B6tYLf6Z9S3lFAk3@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125645&group=uk.d-i-y#125645

From: roland@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:39:53 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 00:39 UTC

In message <l44of6FattdU1@mid.individual.net>, at 00:25:10 on Tue, 27
Feb 2024, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <xn0oijmbddk0w1002@news.individual.net>, at 21:13:53 on Mon,
>> 26 Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:

>>> That's a pity, I've used them for many years and they have
>>> been excellent at fixing the occasional problem, as long as you follow
>>> their system.
>>
>> Fixing things they've installed, and being prepared to install the
>> latest new shiny product, are disjoint.
>>
>> For example my current broadband technology was only available from
>> Talktalk (and resellers) on Openreach infrastructure, and despite being
>> installed over a year ago to my telegraph pole, the "full fibre" (FTTP)
>> upgrade is only available from Sky, Talktalk and Vodafone. [And we don't
>> have Virgin media infrastructure]
>>
>> Meanwhile the most over-promised and under-delivered broadband I've ever
>> had was Plusnet (different town).
>
>The cost of contracts as pushed in their commercials were not available via
>some exchanges including ours, when you found what the rate would really be
>it was not the bargain they were promoting so we were never tempted to
>change.

In my case it was 'swinging' a connection, on the same exchange, from
one house to another. They never did (and we had multiple visits from
Openreach's second line support) achieve more than about a quarter of
the speed the originally promised. As the second house was a one year
rental, I eventually gave up and accepted that they were a bunch of
idiots.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Fibre 2

<xn0oikgbe113jei003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=125650&group=uk.d-i-y#125650

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Feb 2024 08:12:56 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 27 Feb 2024 08:12 UTC

On 26/02/2024 in message <XJLtne0CLS3lFAkf@perry.uk> Roland Perry wrote:

>In message <xn0oijmbddk0w1002@news.individual.net>, at 21:13:53 on Mon, 26
>Feb 2024, Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> remarked:

>>>My personal experience doesn't support that assertion.
>>
>>That's a pity, I've used them for many years and they have been
>>excellent at fixing the occasional problem, as long as you follow their
>>system.
>
>Fixing things they've installed, and being prepared to install the latest
>new shiny product, are disjoint.
>
>For example my current broadband technology was only available from
>Talktalk (and resellers) on Openreach infrastructure, and despite being
>installed over a year ago to my telegraph pole, the "full fibre" (FTTP)
>upgrade is only available from Sky, Talktalk and Vodafone. [And we don't
>have Virgin media infrastructure]
>
>Meanwhile the most over-promised and under-delivered broadband I've ever
>had was Plusnet (different town).

Interesting, I've been with them for many years and never had an issue, I
suppose YMMV?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks