Don't guess -- check your security regulations.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / External wall insulation systems

SubjectAuthor
* External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
+* Re: External wall insulation systemsN_Cook
|`* Re: External wall insulation systemsN_Cook
| +* Re: External wall insulation systemsN_Cook
| |`- Re: External wall insulation systemsN_Cook
| `- Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
+* Re: External wall insulation systemsRJH
|+* Re: External wall insulation systemsalan_m
||`* Re: External wall insulation systemsRJH
|| `* Re: External wall insulation systemsColin Bignell
||  `- Re: External wall insulation systemstony sayer
|+- Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
|`- Re: External wall insulation systemsAndrew
`* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
 `* Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
  `* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
   `* Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
    +* Re: External wall insulation systemsnothanks
    |`* Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
    | `* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
    |  `* Re: External wall insulation systemsnothanks
    |   `* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
    |    `- Re: External wall insulation systemsRJH
    `* Re: External wall insulation systemsAndy Burns
     `* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
      +* Re: External wall insulation systemsAndy Burns
      |+- Re: External wall insulation systemsAndy Burns
      |`* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
      | `* Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
      |  `* Re: External wall insulation systemsTheo
      |   `- Re: External wall insulation systemsJohn Rumm
      `* Re: External wall insulation systemsRJH
       `* Re: External wall insulation systemsAndy Burns
        `- Re: External wall insulation systemsRJH

Pages:12
External wall insulation systems

<us8dlo$1eu5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126317&group=uk.d-i-y#126317

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: External wall insulation systems
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:33:59 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 00:33 UTC

Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?

In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
on that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<us9ca9$a7h5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126328&group=uk.d-i-y#126328

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: External wall insulation systems
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 09:16:59 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:16 UTC

On 06/03/2024 00:33, John Rumm wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>
> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
> on that.

Someone just down the road has had some put in.
The builders are never there when I walk past and I want to ask what the
fire suppression character of the large foam blocks are, under that
light skim of render. Wellat a distance it looked like foam rather than
rockwool. Perhaps someone in this thread will know.
I imagine birds, mice,rats etc will chew out nice homes for themselves
in the foam.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: External wall insulation systems

<us9ef2$akt0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126331&group=uk.d-i-y#126331

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:53:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 09:53 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 at 00:33:59 GMT, John Rumm wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>
> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
> on that.

FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: External wall insulation systems

<bsD*dcHEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126333&group=uk.d-i-y#126333

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 06 Mar 2024 10:14:37 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 10:14 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>
> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
> on that.

Not personally. AIUI insurers can be fussy about what the outside cladding
is. If it's a timber frame construction they're happier if the cladding is
mineral (brick, tile, etc) rather than wood or plastic. If the structural
element is brick then I don't think they are so bothered.

Cedral (fibre cement weatherboard) looks interesting as a mineral
wood-effect cladding, although it would need some calculation as to how
heavy it is (probably heavier than wood)

Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<l4r1unFondjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126341&group=uk.d-i-y#126341

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:21:59 +0000
 by: alan_m - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:21 UTC

On 06/03/2024 09:53, RJH wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2024 at 00:33:59 GMT, John Rumm wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>
>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>> on that.
>
> FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
> brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
> things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.

What about the overhang of window sills?

Re: External wall insulation systems

<us9liv$dg2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126347&group=uk.d-i-y#126347

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:55:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 11:55 UTC

On 6 Mar 2024 at 11:21:59 GMT, alan_m wrote:

> On 06/03/2024 09:53, RJH wrote:
>> On 6 Mar 2024 at 00:33:59 GMT, John Rumm wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>>
>>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>>> on that.
>>
>> FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
>> brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
>> things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.
>>

> What about the overhang of window sills?

I'm not sure how they do openings - they only mentioned the roof as an issue.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: External wall insulation systems

<mJWdnf4MC62S9XX4nZ2dnZeNn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126356&group=uk.d-i-y#126356

Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:00:17 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
 by: Colin Bignell - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:00 UTC

On 06/03/2024 11:55, RJH wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2024 at 11:21:59 GMT, alan_m wrote:

>>> FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
>>> brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
>>> things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.
>>>

>> What about the overhang of window sills?
>
> I'm not sure how they do openings - they only mentioned the roof as an issue.

Board them over - much more energy efficient :-)

--
Colin Bignell

Re: External wall insulation systems

<us9qbu$eet0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126358&group=uk.d-i-y#126358

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 13:16:50 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 13:16 UTC

On 06/03/2024 09:16, N_Cook wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 00:33, John Rumm wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>
>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>> on that.
>>

> Someone just down the road has had some put in.
> The builders are never there when I walk past and I want to ask what the
> fire suppression character of the large foam blocks are, under that
> light skim of render. Wellat a distance it looked like foam rather than
> rockwool. Perhaps someone in this thread will know.
> I imagine birds, mice,rats etc will chew out nice homes for themselves
> in the foam.

Another observation of this local clad.
No obvious keying, like expanded metal, to the surface of the foam
panels prior to the thin skim render so presumably liable to spalling
from thermal movements or wind cavitation at edges

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: External wall insulation systems

<P5Kgg1B4tH6lFws8@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126369&group=uk.d-i-y#126369

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:19:36 +0000
 by: tony sayer - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 14:19 UTC

In article <mJWdnf4MC62S9XX4nZ2dnZeNn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Colin
Bignell <cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk> scribeth thus
>On 06/03/2024 11:55, RJH wrote:

>big
>>>>

>>> What about the overhang of window sills?
>>
>> I'm not sure how they do openings - they only mentioned the roof as an issue.
>>

>Board them over - much more energy efficient :-)

This estate here had this external cladding s done a few years ago tho
some houses privately owned either didn't want it done or couldn't
afford it. Most that were done were still owned by the local council.

Estate was built around 1952 out of concrete 8 to 10 inch thick panels
bolted together..

Places were bloody cold, in the 63 winter a glass of water by your bed
would be frozen over!..

https://maps.app.goo.gl/51YjoXiv8jwsb8WF9

--
Tony Sayer

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usa4cr$gh7g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126380&group=uk.d-i-y#126380

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2024 16:08:00 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:08 UTC

On 06/03/2024 13:16, N_Cook wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 09:16, N_Cook wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 00:33, John Rumm wrote:
>>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>>
>>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>>> on that.
>>>

>> Someone just down the road has had some put in.
>> The builders are never there when I walk past and I want to ask what the
>> fire suppression character of the large foam blocks are, under that
>> light skim of render. Wellat a distance it looked like foam rather than
>> rockwool. Perhaps someone in this thread will know.
>> I imagine birds, mice,rats etc will chew out nice homes for themselves
>> in the foam.
>>

> Another observation of this local clad.
> No obvious keying, like expanded metal, to the surface of the foam
> panels prior to the thin skim render so presumably liable to spalling
> from thermal movements or wind cavitation at edges

The window reveals here have just been thin skim rendered over.
No eavesdrop created prior to the cladding so the months worth of rain
in the last week must have gone down between the cladding and the
original brickwork, clever eh.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usa8ln$hhmu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126382&group=uk.d-i-y#126382

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:20:53 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:20 UTC

On 06/03/2024 09:53, RJH wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2024 at 00:33:59 GMT, John Rumm wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>
>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>> on that.
>
> FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
> brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
> things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.

Yup, I will probably need to do that... there is only 6" to play with at
the moment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usa8nv$hhmu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126383&group=uk.d-i-y#126383

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:22:06 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 17:22 UTC

On 06/03/2024 13:16, N_Cook wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 09:16, N_Cook wrote:
>> On 06/03/2024 00:33, John Rumm wrote:
>>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>>
>>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>>> on that.
>>>

>> Someone just down the road has had some put in.
>> The builders are never there when I walk past and I want to ask what the
>> fire suppression character of the large foam blocks are, under that

Like most board insulations, they will burn if held in a flame, but not
actually sustain a flame...

>> light skim of render. Wellat a distance it looked like foam rather than
>> rockwool. Perhaps someone in this thread will know.

I have seen systems with both. The PU / PIR foam or EPS make for an
impermeable coating. The Rockwool based ones are breathable.

>> I imagine birds, mice,rats etc will chew out nice homes for themselves
>> in the foam.

I get the impression the render is pretty hard when set (although fairly
thin).

> Another observation of this local clad.
> No obvious keying, like expanded metal, to the surface of the foam
> panels prior to the thin skim render so presumably liable to spalling
> from thermal movements or wind cavitation at edges

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usafgm$j0es$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126406&group=uk.d-i-y#126406

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:17:41 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

On 06/03/2024 10:14, Theo wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>
>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>> on that.
>
> Not personally. AIUI insurers can be fussy about what the outside cladding
> is. If it's a timber frame construction they're happier if the cladding is
> mineral (brick, tile, etc) rather than wood or plastic. If the structural
> element is brick then I don't think they are so bothered.
>
> Cedral (fibre cement weatherboard) looks interesting as a mineral
> wood-effect cladding, although it would need some calculation as to how
> heavy it is (probably heavier than wood)

Yup that was one of the options... a bit of searching has turned up
Hardi plank and Cembrit plank as other (slightly thinner) options.

You need 1.75 boards per sq m, and each board is 11.2kg, so ~20kg/m^2

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<csD*AeOEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126533&group=uk.d-i-y#126533

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 07 Mar 2024 18:16:10 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:16 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 06/03/2024 10:14, Theo wrote:
> > John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> >> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
> >>
> >> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
> >> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
> >> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
> >> on that.
> >
> > Not personally. AIUI insurers can be fussy about what the outside cladding
> > is. If it's a timber frame construction they're happier if the cladding is
> > mineral (brick, tile, etc) rather than wood or plastic. If the structural
> > element is brick then I don't think they are so bothered.
> >
> > Cedral (fibre cement weatherboard) looks interesting as a mineral
> > wood-effect cladding, although it would need some calculation as to how
> > heavy it is (probably heavier than wood)
>
> Yup that was one of the options... a bit of searching has turned up
> Hardi plank and Cembrit plank as other (slightly thinner) options.

Interesting... the Cembrit plank appears to now be SwissPearl plank:
https://www.swisspearl.com/en-uk/products/facade/swisspearl-plank-original

Cedral and SwissPearl have free sample ordering. James Hardie is £5.47 for
3:
https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/en/cladding/hardieplank

I notice the SwissPearl is not coloured through, it's painted. So perhaps
could be in need of touch up in future years (but much less than wood). Not
sure about the others.

> You need 1.75 boards per sq m, and each board is 11.2kg, so ~20kg/m^2

Not too bad... Suppose it depends on how well attached your battens are.
(if replacing existing timber)

Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usd1gs$16kuc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126537&group=uk.d-i-y#126537

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:37:14 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 18:37 UTC

On 07/03/2024 18:16, Theo wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> Not personally. AIUI insurers can be fussy about what the outside cladding
>>> is. If it's a timber frame construction they're happier if the cladding is
>>> mineral (brick, tile, etc) rather than wood or plastic. If the structural
>>> element is brick then I don't think they are so bothered.
>>>
>>> Cedral (fibre cement weatherboard) looks interesting as a mineral
>>> wood-effect cladding, although it would need some calculation as to how
>>> heavy it is (probably heavier than wood)
>>
>> Yup that was one of the options... a bit of searching has turned up
>> Hardi plank and Cembrit plank as other (slightly thinner) options.
>
> Interesting... the Cembrit plank appears to now be SwissPearl plank:
> https://www.swisspearl.com/en-uk/products/facade/swisspearl-plank-original
>
> Cedral and SwissPearl have free sample ordering. James Hardie is £5.47 for
> 3:
> https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/en/cladding/hardieplank

Yup might be worth getting some to have a look...

> I notice the SwissPearl is not coloured through, it's painted. So perhaps
> could be in need of touch up in future years (but much less than wood). Not
> sure about the others.
>
>> You need 1.75 boards per sq m, and each board is 11.2kg, so ~20kg/m^2
>
> Not too bad... Suppose it depends on how well attached your battens are.
> (if replacing existing timber)

I will probably be starting with a recently de-rendered brick wall[1],
so the plan was a rigid PIR/PU foil faced foam board, then 50x38
tanalised battens on 600 centres on top of that. Planks fitted to the
battens. So it should be fairly sturdy.

Ironically, I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit - but
in reality that is not too bad bought in bulk. Covering it with
something however seems quite pricey!

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usd94m$185hs$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126562&group=uk.d-i-y#126562

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:47:18 +0000
 by: Andrew - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 20:47 UTC

On 06/03/2024 09:53, RJH wrote:
> On 6 Mar 2024 at 00:33:59 GMT, John Rumm wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had any experience with EWI systems?
>>
>> In particular, systems designed to be over clad rather than finished
>> with a light weight render. I quite like the idea of insulation on the
>> wall, then battens, and something that looks like feather edge cladding
>> on that.
>
> FWIW, just had a rough estimate for an 8m x 7m wall, about £11,500, using
> brick slips to keep the appearance of the original. Apparently one of the big
> things to think about is extending the overhang of the roof 6" or so.

And repositioning the external FS stack, plus downpipes for rainwater.
Not an insignificant amount of work.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<l4v1l8Fd46vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126573&group=uk.d-i-y#126573

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:41:28 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 23:41 UTC

On 07/03/2024 18:37, John Rumm wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 18:16, Theo wrote:
>> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:

>>> Yup that was one of the options... a bit of searching has turned up
>>> Hardi plank and Cembrit plank as other (slightly thinner) options.
>>
>> Interesting... the Cembrit plank appears to now be SwissPearl plank:
>> https://www.swisspearl.com/en-uk/products/facade/swisspearl-plank-original
>>
>> Cedral and SwissPearl have free sample ordering. James Hardie is £5.47
>> for
>> 3:
>> https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/en/cladding/hardieplank
>
> Yup might be worth getting some to have a look...
>
>> I notice the SwissPearl is not coloured through, it's painted.  So
>> perhaps
>> could be in need of touch up in future years (but much less than
>> wood).  Not
>> sure about the others.
>>
>>> You need 1.75 boards per sq m, and each board is 11.2kg, so ~20kg/m^2
>>
>> Not too bad...  Suppose it depends on how well attached your battens are.
>> (if replacing existing timber)
>
> I will probably be starting with a recently de-rendered brick wall[1],
> so the plan was a rigid PIR/PU foil faced foam board, then 50x38
> tanalised battens on 600 centres on top of that. Planks fitted to the
> battens. So it should be fairly sturdy.
>
> Ironically, I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit - but
> in reality that is not too bad bought in bulk. Covering it with
> something however seems quite pricey!

FYI the cheapest place I know of for insulation is
https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - I have no connection, except as a
satisfied customer.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<usdqiq$1bjpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126575&group=uk.d-i-y#126575

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:44:55 +0000
 by: John Rumm - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 01:44 UTC

On 07/03/2024 23:41, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 18:37, John Rumm wrote:

>>> Interesting... the Cembrit plank appears to now be SwissPearl plank:
>>> https://www.swisspearl.com/en-uk/products/facade/swisspearl-plank-original
>>>
>>> Cedral and SwissPearl have free sample ordering. James Hardie is
>>> £5.47 for
>>> 3:
>>> https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/en/cladding/hardieplank
>>
>> Yup might be worth getting some to have a look...
>>
>>> I notice the SwissPearl is not coloured through, it's painted.  So
>>> perhaps
>>> could be in need of touch up in future years (but much less than
>>> wood).  Not
>>> sure about the others.

>>> Not too bad...  Suppose it depends on how well attached your battens
>>> are.
>>> (if replacing existing timber)
>>
>> I will probably be starting with a recently de-rendered brick wall[1],
>> so the plan was a rigid PIR/PU foil faced foam board, then 50x38
>> tanalised battens on 600 centres on top of that. Planks fitted to the
>> battens. So it should be fairly sturdy.
>>
>> Ironically, I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit -
>> but in reality that is not too bad bought in bulk. Covering it with
>> something however seems quite pricey!
>>

> FYI the cheapest place I know of for insulation is
> https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - I have no connection, except as a
> satisfied customer.

We used to have a very good discount place locally, Last time I used
them they did me a van load of 50mm boards for about £350. Enough to do
4 walls and the vaulted ceiling of my workshop. Alas they closed a few
years ago...

As it happens I did look at Seconds and Co earlier, their "bulk pack"
deal for fifty 60mm boards was just under £1k, which is significantly
better than the normal "retail" prices (which would be 2.5 to 3 times
more).

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: External wall insulation systems

<bsD*ghSEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126600&group=uk.d-i-y#126600

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 08 Mar 2024 12:39:53 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:39 UTC

John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 23:41, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> > FYI the cheapest place I know of for insulation is
> > https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - I have no connection, except as a
> > satisfied customer.
>
> We used to have a very good discount place locally, Last time I used
> them they did me a van load of 50mm boards for about £350. Enough to do
> 4 walls and the vaulted ceiling of my workshop. Alas they closed a few
> years ago...
>
> As it happens I did look at Seconds and Co earlier, their "bulk pack"
> deal for fifty 60mm boards was just under £1k, which is significantly
> better than the normal "retail" prices (which would be 2.5 to 3 times
> more).

There's a few of them about - CBA to dig up the details but search 'insulation
seconds'. There's one in somewhere like Colchester and one in Yorkshire,
and I think one of them has a branch in Scotland.

Given insulation's bulk the usual issue is transport costs - Seconds&Co are
in Wales, so if you're in East Anglia or Scotland it gets pricey.

I believe some of them are nearby the factories where the make the
insulation - I think it's Kingspan in Wales and Celotex in Colchester - so
makes sense to get it from your local factory.

Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<l519ndFnm6vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126639&group=uk.d-i-y#126639

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:11:25 +0000
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 20:11 UTC

On 08/03/2024 12:39, Theo wrote:
> John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
>> On 07/03/2024 23:41, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> FYI the cheapest place I know of for insulation is
>>> https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - I have no connection, except as a
>>> satisfied customer.
>>
>> We used to have a very good discount place locally, Last time I used
>> them they did me a van load of 50mm boards for about £350. Enough to do
>> 4 walls and the vaulted ceiling of my workshop. Alas they closed a few
>> years ago...
>>
>> As it happens I did look at Seconds and Co earlier, their "bulk pack"
>> deal for fifty 60mm boards was just under £1k, which is significantly
>> better than the normal "retail" prices (which would be 2.5 to 3 times
>> more).
>
> There's a few of them about - CBA to dig up the details but search 'insulation
> seconds'. There's one in somewhere like Colchester and one in Yorkshire,
> and I think one of them has a branch in Scotland.
>
> Given insulation's bulk the usual issue is transport costs - Seconds&Co are
> in Wales, so if you're in East Anglia or Scotland it gets pricey.
Presteigne is only "just" in Wales ;-)

> I believe some of them are nearby the factories where the make the
> insulation - I think it's Kingspan in Wales and Celotex in Colchester - so
> makes sense to get it from your local factory.
>
> Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<Pry*iJ3Ez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126702&group=uk.d-i-y#126702

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Mar 2024 16:43:13 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 16:43 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 12:39, Theo wrote:
> > John Rumm <see.my.signature@nowhere.null> wrote:
> >>
> >> We used to have a very good discount place locally, Last time I used
> >> them they did me a van load of 50mm boards for about £350. Enough to do
> >> 4 walls and the vaulted ceiling of my workshop. Alas they closed a few
> >> years ago...
> >>
> >> As it happens I did look at Seconds and Co earlier, their "bulk pack"
> >> deal for fifty 60mm boards was just under £1k, which is significantly
> >> better than the normal "retail" prices (which would be 2.5 to 3 times
> >> more).
> >
> > There's a few of them about - CBA to dig up the details but search 'insulation
> > seconds'. There's one in somewhere like Colchester and one in Yorkshire,
> > and I think one of them has a branch in Scotland.
> >
> > Given insulation's bulk the usual issue is transport costs - Seconds&Co are
> > in Wales, so if you're in East Anglia or Scotland it gets pricey.
> Presteigne is only "just" in Wales ;-)

You're right, I hadn't realised how 'just' it is :-)

> > I believe some of them are nearby the factories where the make the
> > insulation - I think it's Kingspan in Wales and Celotex in Colchester - so
> > makes sense to get it from your local factory.

This is the Colchester one:
https://economicinsulation.com/

also:
https://www.insulationsouthwales.com/

and it's Seconds who have a branch in Scotland:
https://www.secondsandcoscotland.co.uk/
and Yorkshire (both look a bit defunct?):
https://www.facebook.com/secondsandconorthern/

Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<uskqg7$32ui1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126705&group=uk.d-i-y#126705

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:26:31 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:26 UTC

On 10 Mar 2024 at 16:43:13 GMT, Theo wrote:

>>> I believe some of them are nearby the factories where the make the
>>> insulation - I think it's Kingspan in Wales and Celotex in Colchester - so
>>> makes sense to get it from your local factory.
>
> This is the Colchester one:
> https://economicinsulation.com/
>
> also:
> https://www.insulationsouthwales.com/
>
> and it's Seconds who have a branch in Scotland:
> https://www.secondsandcoscotland.co.uk/
> and Yorkshire (both look a bit defunct?):
> https://www.facebook.com/secondsandconorthern/

For Sheffield/surrounding just got some from:

https://www.icbpltd.com/seconds-pir-insulation-doncaster

Worked out about half-shed price.

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: External wall insulation systems

<l56jbuFga5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126712&group=uk.d-i-y#126712

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:26:31 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 20:26 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

> I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit - but in reality
> that is not too bad bought in bulk.

Anyone know if Knauf has split into two companies/divisions, e.g. one
doing PIR the other doing rockwool?

I thought I'd previously used their U-value calculator for a new flat
roof, but now it only seems to offer rockwool, rather than PIR, which
results in an insulation depth of 220mm vs 140mm for PIR to achieve 0.16U

Re: External wall insulation systems

<Qry*k94Ez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126713&group=uk.d-i-y#126713

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 10 Mar 2024 23:07:22 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 23:07 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
> > I was expecting the insulation to be the expensive bit - but in reality
> > that is not too bad bought in bulk.
>
> Anyone know if Knauf has split into two companies/divisions, e.g. one
> doing PIR the other doing rockwool?

No idea, but often those kind of websites aren't very good at telling you
the full range.

> I thought I'd previously used their U-value calculator for a new flat
> roof, but now it only seems to offer rockwool, rather than PIR, which
> results in an insulation depth of 220mm vs 140mm for PIR to achieve 0.16U

I'd use https://www.ubakus.de/ in demo mode for a stackup calculator. PIR is
in as there as 'PUR' which I think is the same, and they have rockwool.

Theo

Re: External wall insulation systems

<l57pinFn54mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=126719&group=uk.d-i-y#126719

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:18:46 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 07:18 UTC

Theo wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Anyone know if Knauf has split into two companies/divisions, e.g. one
>> doing PIR the other doing rockwool?
>
> No idea, but often those kind of websites aren't very good at telling you
> the full range.

Not just the U calculator, the whole Knauf website has no PIR listed
under products (except for plasterboard/PIR sandwich)

>> I thought I'd previously used their U-value calculator for a new flat
>> roof, but now it only seems to offer rockwool, rather than PIR, which
>> results in an insulation depth of 220mm vs 140mm for PIR to achieve 0.16U
>
> I'd use https://www.ubakus.de/ in demo mode for a stackup calculator. PIR is
> in as there as 'PUR' which I think is the same, and they have rockwool.

That's pretty good, shame my German isn't (yes firefox tranlate helps)
I'm surprised the various single-ply membranes are there, but disabled,
you'd think he could persuade (at least some of) the manufacturers to
pay in order to have their products promoted?

Maybe worth paying for a couple of months ...

Thanks