My CODE of ETHICS is vacationing at famed SCHROON LAKE in upstate New York!!

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / External WiFi aerial or full access point?

SubjectAuthor
* External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
+* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
|+* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Smolley
||`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
|| `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Smolley
|`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Peter Johnson
| `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Tim Lamb
+- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Pancho
+- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Paul
+* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
|+- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Andy Burns
|+* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Tim Streater
||`- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Paul
|`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
| `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Tim+
|  `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
+- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?RobH
`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Harry Bloomfield Esq
 `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Joe
  +* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?charles
  |+* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?The Natural Philosopher
  ||+- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Fredxx
  ||`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Harry Bloomfield Esq
  || `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?The Natural Philosopher
  |`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Fredxx
  | +* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?charles
  | |`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Fredxx
  | | `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?charles
  | |  `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Fredxx
  | `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Sam Plusnet
  |  `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
  |   `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
  |    +* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Andy Burns
  |    |`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Theo
  |    | `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?John R Walliker
  |    +* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Tim Lamb
  |    |`* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?me9
  |    | `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?The Natural Philosopher
  |    `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
  |     `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?SH
  |      `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?SH
  |       +* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Tim Lamb
  |       |`- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
  |       `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?David
  `* Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?Harry Bloomfield Esq
   `- Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?John R Walliker

Pages:12
External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<l7t9joFopdbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128795&group=uk.d-i-y#128795

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: External WiFi aerial or full access point?
Date: 12 Apr 2024 17:33:44 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:33 UTC

The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at
the back.

I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.

My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
expensive options.

I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete unit
with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside the
house with just the aerial outside.

Has anyone done this?

TIA

Dave R
--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<LLy*zUMHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128811&group=uk.d-i-y#128811

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?
Date: 12 Apr 2024 22:57:57 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 21:57 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at
> the back.
>
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
> expensive options.
>
> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete unit
> with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside the
> house with just the aerial outside.

Cabling and connectors at 2.4 and 5GHz tend to have a bit of loss, so once
it's got to the antenna you've lost some of the signal and so part of the
point of getting the signal there. Additionally modern access points use
phased antennas for better reception, which you can't do with one or few
randomly placed wired antennas.

I'd suggest going for an external unit with an ethernet connection: either
externally mounted or mounted just internally (eg maybe the roof lets signal
out where the walls don't). Most units designed for outdoor or ceiling
mounting use PoE so you just feed it one cable for both data and power.

You can also use mesh, if you can put the unit somewhere with power that has
a whiff of the indoor signal but also a route for its signal to get out.

Theo

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvd58v$2rib7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128820&group=uk.d-i-y#128820

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 05:30:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 05:30 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 22:57:57 +0100, Theo wrote:

> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially
>> at the back.
>>
>> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
>> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>>
>> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
>> expensive options.
>>
>> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete
>> unit with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside
>> the house with just the aerial outside.
>
> Cabling and connectors at 2.4 and 5GHz tend to have a bit of loss, so
> once it's got to the antenna you've lost some of the signal and so part
> of the point of getting the signal there. Additionally modern access
> points use phased antennas for better reception, which you can't do with
> one or few randomly placed wired antennas.
>
> I'd suggest going for an external unit with an ethernet connection:
> either externally mounted or mounted just internally (eg maybe the roof
> lets signal out where the walls don't). Most units designed for outdoor
> or ceiling mounting use PoE so you just feed it one cable for both data
> and power.
>
> You can also use mesh, if you can put the unit somewhere with power that
> has a whiff of the indoor signal but also a route for its signal to get
> out.
>
> Theo

Its a pity all hubs can't mesh together and do away with the individual
cost.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<LLy*wCPHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128836&group=uk.d-i-y#128836

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 11:20:09 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:20 UTC

Smolley <me@rest.uk> wrote:
> Its a pity all hubs can't mesh together and do away with the individual
> cost.

802.11s is a standard for exactly that. I've tried it on a collection of
random routers running OpenWRT. Support in chipsets is a bit mixed so I
never got it to work reliably (the wifi chip in the BT Homehub 5a wouldn't
play ball, which are most of my pile of scrap routers). But would be doable
if the hardware was designed to support it.

Theo

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<1c1l1jpdcit1aegf32q5662qnsaipica3q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128846&group=uk.d-i-y#128846

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:17:21 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:17 UTC

On 12 Apr 2024 22:57:57 +0100 (BST), Theo
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>You can also use mesh, if you can put the unit somewhere with power that has
>a whiff of the indoor signal but also a route for its signal to get out.

I did that, with a router in the roof to ensure a reliable signal from
the camera in the wall lamp by the front door. Haven't tested the
range for other purposes.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<OpADDoYimoGmFwRB@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128848&group=uk.d-i-y#128848

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:33:22 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:33 UTC

In message <1c1l1jpdcit1aegf32q5662qnsaipica3q@4ax.com>, Peter Johnson
<peter@parksidewood.nospam> writes
>On 12 Apr 2024 22:57:57 +0100 (BST), Theo
><theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>

>>You can also use mesh, if you can put the unit somewhere with power that has
>>a whiff of the indoor signal but also a route for its signal to get out.
>>
>I did that, with a router in the roof to ensure a reliable signal from
>the camera in the wall lamp by the front door. Haven't tested the
>range for other purposes.

I'm still chuckling at the idea (Daily Mail) that China will be able to
turn 2/3rds of these things off on a whim:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uve1r6$2ulkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128849&group=uk.d-i-y#128849

From: Pancho.Jones@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:37:42 +0100
 by: Pancho - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:37 UTC

On 12/04/2024 18:33, David wrote:
> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at
> the back.
>
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
> expensive options.
>
> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete unit
> with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside the
> house with just the aerial outside.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> TIA
>

> Dave R

I went with multiple wired WiFi access points networked together with
Ethernet cable, with fast roaming.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercusys-over-100-Devices-Halo-H50G-3-pack/dp/B09C7JDYJ1>

I was confused, thinking I wanted mesh. What I really wanted was to be
able to walk about my house and be connected to the right access point,
without dropouts. That is called fast roaming.

This Mercusys, kit is nasty, in that admin is done via a cloud service,
presumably in China. But... it works reliably. Probably if you pay a bit
more you could get something with local admin.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uve6bj$328n5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128855&group=uk.d-i-y#128855

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:54:41 -0400
 by: Paul - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:54 UTC

On 4/12/2024 1:33 PM, David wrote:
> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at
> the back.
>
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
> expensive options.
>
> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete unit
> with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside the
> house with just the aerial outside.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> TIA
>
> Dave R

Do you have a room with a window, facing the garden ?
That would be a great place to do a test.

You probably own materials that could be used to
check how opaque the house is to RF.

1) Cell phone signal. A different frequency than Wifi.
Does that penetrate the house ?
2) Take a bluetooth speaker or battery headphone outdoors (2.4GHz).
Can the computer in the house, pair with that, or
send music to it ?
3) Does your DECT phone work in the back garden, with
the DECT base unit sitting in the house ?
4) Use the USB Wifi on your desktop. In Windows 11 there is
a Hotspot button, which turns the desktop Wifi into Wifi Direct
(an Access Point with its own SSID). The hardest part of
using that, is finding the dialog that has the randomly
generated password string, so you can enter the password
out in the garden, and get up to 54Mbit/sec transfer rate.
It's a pitiful rate, but this is just a test of whether
a Wifi signal can make it outdoors.

2.4GHz is better at penetrating house walls, than 5GHz is.
5GHz was preferred at one time, because there was relatively
less usage of the band, so the channel wasn't as crowded.

If your DECT phone is on 900MHz, that should be really
good at getting through a wall. The DECT frequency used
in the design, can vary with country.

The router signal is a three dimensional signal. At one
time, if your router lived on the house main level,
other main level devices worked. The computer in the basement
might not see a signal. The upstairs bedroom may have poor
reception. (The single antenna on the router back then,
sent signal mostly on the same floor it was on.)

On a router with more than one antenna and
the antenna is hinged, you can try altering the angle of the
antenna, to provide more signal to other parts of the house.

The router signal also has channel numbers. Like Ch 1, 6, 13.
You can try changing the channel, if there is too much
interference from a neighbours choice for their kit.

If your house walls were filled with foil backed insulation boards,
that might be sufficient to cause a problem. Steel door frames.
Aluminium window trim. Those could contribute to a poor result.

The router might have a 2dBi isotropic antenna on it. This
is intended to spread signal in all directions in a house.
The transmitter power (in watts) is limited, by the manufacturers
knowledge that only a 2dBi antenna is on the output. If instead,
you find a 30dBi dish antenna, and point it at the back garden,
that violates the EIRP of the resulting "system", by 28dB.
But, that's also a test case. It's not particularly a
good investment, an illegal antenna, but it's one way
to satisfy your curiosity about whether another
device will ever see your SSID. As you were planning to do,
I would set up an access point or a mesh routing scheme,
before using a dish as my chosen solution. We don't know
how these work bidirectionally, and whether one direction
works as well as the opposite direction.

# Parabolic dish antenna

https://imgur.com/a/PItSh3L

It could be, that the router has degraded with time, and the
signal isn't actually as strong as it was when the router
was new. You might be able to use your recollection of performance,
to judge whether that has happened. Routers can use adaptive
transmit power, so even if the claim is its 2 watts, if
it detects good signal level, it can turn down the transmit
so it's not as hard on any cheap CMOS output.

And we get scattered reports, about "people with weird scan results".
In Linux, someone was complaining that half their Wifi SSIDs
had gone missing, as if there was some kind of pattern based
on the SSID name or something. If there are sun spots or other
natural phenomenon, that can temporarily affect radio.

A lot of interference cases, are temporary, and those would
be worth listing, if your Wifi "worked sometimes and not others".
But your symptom report is, it never works.

TPLink lists TL-WA801N, TL-WA1201, TL-WA901N, TL-WA3001 in increasing price
as Access Points. The cheapest is 1/4 the price of the most expensive.
The second from the left might be adequate. These are not particularly
designed to sit in the rain, they're not outdoor units, but if you had
a window facing the garden, might be worth a try. You would want to
inspect for evidence of good firmware, good lifespan (no reports of
reduced signal after 3 months), rather than just blankly staring
at the standard "AC" and assuming you'll get lightning speed
and that's it. When there was a review site available for this
stuff, and a guy who cared about benching and measurements, the
whizzy stuff never seemed to pass about 100MB/sec (and that's on
equipment where the WAN side was fast enough to do better). I would
probably select "any old thing that wasn't 802.11n".

For example, now that Wifi 7 is out, I'm not "hungry" to buy new kit,
just because the stupid thing has 4096 QAM or something. Abusing
QAM like that, eventually has to give a diminishing return in
the real world, with real world impediments. Putting AI inside
the box won't help. Etc :-) And without trustworthy reviews, it's
not possible to even remotely guess whether a whizzy thing is
worth "spit". One guy had a real test lab, with real lab equipment,
anechoic capability, attenuator matting for multipath reduction
and so on. But I suspect he's tired of doing test, and is in the
back garden in the sun now. If no one can draw us a graph, using
a "standard house test", it's pretty hard to make an equipment selection.

One part of the selection process, is downloading the manual to
see if the device has a web interface that is decent.

You would likely pay more, for a device packaged for a life in the rain.

Paul

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<l7vu3uFopdbU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128861&group=uk.d-i-y#128861

From: wibble@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 17:35:58 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:35 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 17:33:44 +0000, David wrote:

> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially
> at the back.
>
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
> expensive options.
>
> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete
> unit with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside
> the house with just the aerial outside.
>
> Has anyone done this?

Thanks for the useful information so far.

More information - I have a TP-Link WDR3600 in the rear living area, about
5 metres from the bifolds.

A wifi camera just outside doesn't get much signal.

{SFX someone wandering around with a phone with a wifi analyser and
getting distracted by various things}

I also have a cheapo Netgear WAC104 in the back bedroom fairly near to the
window to try and provide a better signal that from the Buffalo router in
the office or the above mentioned downstairs router.

[Another diversion - couldn't understand why there was no signal from the
downstairs router.
Turns out it hadn't been switched back on after our holiday away.]

Also I apparently have WiFi scan throttling enabled on my phone.
No idea at the moment how to turn it off.

I am not clear on how/why signal strength seems to vary at one spot about
2 metres from the downstairs router

All I can see so far is that the bifolds significantly reduce the signal
when I go just outside.

The rear of the house including internal walls does contain a lot of solid
insulation with foil covering.

I think an external AP would probably give a wider scope for WiFi devices
in the back garden.

One day I might even get Ethernet to the Mother Of All Sheds.

[More investigation to follow.]

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<l7vu9cF64sbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128862&group=uk.d-i-y#128862

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 18:38:49 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:38 UTC

David wrote:

> Also I apparently have WiFi scan throttling enabled on my phone.
> No idea at the moment how to turn it off.

I think you have to enable developer options, then it's buried within
there ...

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<l7vvavF6lnaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128863&group=uk.d-i-y#128863

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 17:56:47 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:56 UTC

On 13 Apr 2024 at 18:35:58 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I am not clear on how/why signal strength seems to vary at one spot about
> 2 metres from the downstairs router

What's the wavelength of that stuff? Reflections could be causing signal
cancelation if a signal and reflection are out of phase.

--
"Freedom is sloppy. But since tyranny's the only guaranteed byproduct of those who insist on a perfect world, freedom will have to do." -- Bigby Wolf

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<LLy*BLRHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128872&group=uk.d-i-y#128872

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 21:05:01 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:05 UTC

David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> More information - I have a TP-Link WDR3600 in the rear living area, about
> 5 metres from the bifolds.
>
> A wifi camera just outside doesn't get much signal.

Some IoT stuff only has a 2.4GHz radio, which can mean it can't get signal
when all your other devices (on 5GHz) are working fine.

> I am not clear on how/why signal strength seems to vary at one spot about
> 2 metres from the downstairs router
>
> All I can see so far is that the bifolds significantly reduce the signal
> when I go just outside.

Some glazing has a solar control coating on it which blocks RF.

> The rear of the house including internal walls does contain a lot of solid
> insulation with foil covering.

That won't help.

> I think an external AP would probably give a wider scope for WiFi devices
> in the back garden.
>
> One day I might even get Ethernet to the Mother Of All Sheds.

You could run ethernet to the shed and then put the AP in there :)

Theo

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<331849218.734732311.663310.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128874&group=uk.d-i-y#128874

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 20:21:14 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:21 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> More information - I have a TP-Link WDR3600 in the rear living area, about
>> 5 metres from the bifolds.
>>
>> A wifi camera just outside doesn't get much signal.
>
> Some IoT stuff only has a 2.4GHz radio, which can mean it can't get signal
> when all your other devices (on 5GHz) are working fine.

Surely the other way around? I find 5GHz next to useless in my house as
2.4GHz has a much better range. Maybe not got the same bandwidth as 5GHz
but 99% of the time adequate bandwidth.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<KLy*FQRHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128875&group=uk.d-i-y#128875

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 13 Apr 2024 21:26:36 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 20:26 UTC

Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> More information - I have a TP-Link WDR3600 in the rear living area, about
> >> 5 metres from the bifolds.
> >>
> >> A wifi camera just outside doesn't get much signal.
> >
> > Some IoT stuff only has a 2.4GHz radio, which can mean it can't get signal
> > when all your other devices (on 5GHz) are working fine.
>
> Surely the other way around? I find 5GHz next to useless in my house as
> 2.4GHz has a much better range. Maybe not got the same bandwidth as 5GHz
> but 99% of the time adequate bandwidth.

Depends. 5GHz has less penetration through walls etc, which means the 5GHz
spectrum in your house is quieter and less affected by your neighbours. If
you are in a populous area there can be so much 2.4GHz mush that sometimes
it's hard for devices to get the packets through.

Many IoT devices are based on cheap silicon that only has a 2.4GHz radio and
a single antenna, which can be more affected by this than phones and laptops
with multiple 2.4 and 5GHz antennas.

Theo

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvfp70$3fnp8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128878&group=uk.d-i-y#128878

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 05:22:40 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 05:22 UTC

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:20:09 +0100, Theo wrote:

> Smolley <me@rest.uk> wrote:
>> Its a pity all hubs can't mesh together and do away with the individual
>> cost.
>
> 802.11s is a standard for exactly that. I've tried it on a collection
> of random routers running OpenWRT. Support in chipsets is a bit mixed
> so I never got it to work reliably (the wifi chip in the BT Homehub 5a
> wouldn't play ball, which are most of my pile of scrap routers). But
> would be doable if the hardware was designed to support it.
>
> Theo

Thanks Theo.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvgvg9$3nhrv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128885&group=uk.d-i-y#128885

From: nospam@needed.invalid (Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 12:16:07 -0400
 by: Paul - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:16 UTC

https://jasmcole.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/damping.gif

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/mapping-wi-fi-dead-zones-with-physics-and-gifs/

Paul

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<l82eidFi0tfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128887&group=uk.d-i-y#128887

From: rob@nospam.com (RobH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 17:29:01 +0100
 by: RobH - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 16:29 UTC

On 12/04/2024 18:33, David wrote:
> The house seems very resistant to letting WiFi signals out, especially at
> the back.
>
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> My first search was confusing; some very cheap options and some very
> expensive options.
>
> I assume that I want to have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and either a complete unit
> with Ethernet connection (power over Ethernet?) or a router inside the
> house with just the aerial outside.
>
> Has anyone done this?
>
> TIA
>

> Dave R

I have x2 Ubiquiti APs in my house at different locations, and I get an
excellent signal outside in the garden

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvm7hu$rf3o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128974&group=uk.d-i-y#128974

From: a@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:04:14 +0100
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 16:04 UTC

On 12/04/2024 18:33, David wrote:
> I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete Access
> Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.

I have a router/access point in the loft, second one on ground floor
(2.4/5Ghz). I fitted a 2.4/5Ghz extender, outdoor, in my hut, to improve
garden access. It works quite well.

Mounting the router indoors, connected to an antenna outdoors, there
will be high losses via the coax - so you would need to consider
mounting the router very close to the antenna..

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128975&group=uk.d-i-y#128975

From: joe@jretrading.com (Joe)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:51:25 +0100
 by: Joe - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:51 UTC

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:04:14 +0100
Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

> On 12/04/2024 18:33, David wrote:
> > I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete
> > Access Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
>
> I have a router/access point in the loft, second one on ground floor
> (2.4/5Ghz). I fitted a 2.4/5Ghz extender, outdoor, in my hut, to
> improve garden access. It works quite well.
>
> Mounting the router indoors, connected to an antenna outdoors, there
> will be high losses via the coax - so you would need to consider
> mounting the router very close to the antenna..

There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.

As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.
Something significantly different (e.g. home-made dipole, folded dipole)
will need a matching balun transformer to talk to 50 Ohms unbalanced,
and a commercial antenna will typically be supplied with one for use
with 50 Ohm cable.

Other coax impedances are rare, apart from 75 Ohms for video, which
will also work for dipoles, but most RF devices will not be expecting
that. Balanced twin feeders will be used for 300 Ohms, it's difficult to
make coax of that order of impedance.

--
Joe

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<5b529c78e8charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128976&group=uk.d-i-y#128976

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 24 19:08:02 UTC
 by: charles - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:08 UTC

In article <20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>,
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:04:14 +0100
> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

> > On 12/04/2024 18:33, David wrote:
> > > I was wondering about an external aerial or perhaps a complete
> > > Access Point to take the WiFi out into the back garden.
> >
> > I have a router/access point in the loft, second one on ground floor
> > (2.4/5Ghz). I fitted a 2.4/5Ghz extender, outdoor, in my hut, to
> > improve garden access. It works quite well.
> >
> > Mounting the router indoors, connected to an antenna outdoors, there
> > will be high losses via the coax - so you would need to consider
> > mounting the router very close to the antenna..

> There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
> small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.

> As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.

not at 5GHz !

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvmilf$13pia$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128977&group=uk.d-i-y#128977

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:13:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:13 UTC

On 16/04/2024 20:08, charles wrote:
> In article <20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>,
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:04:14 +0100
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

>>> I have a router/access point in the loft, second one on ground floor
>>> (2.4/5Ghz). I fitted a 2.4/5Ghz extender, outdoor, in my hut, to
>>> improve garden access. It works quite well.
>>>
>>> Mounting the router indoors, connected to an antenna outdoors, there
>>> will be high losses via the coax - so you would need to consider
>>> mounting the router very close to the antenna..
>
>> There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
>> small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.
>
>> As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.
>
> not at 5GHz !

well most wifi is 2.4 still

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvmkd4$13njd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128979&group=uk.d-i-y#128979

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:43:32 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:43 UTC

> On 16/04/2024 20:08, charles wrote:
>> In article <20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>,
>>     Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>>> There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
>>> small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.
>>
>>> As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.
>>
>> not at 5GHz !
>>
> well most wifi is 2.4 still

These days most devices have a 5GHz capability. And it's generally
faster if you can get half decent reception.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvmmn7$14i0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128980&group=uk.d-i-y#128980

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:23:03 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:23 UTC

On 16/04/2024 20:08, charles wrote:
> In article <20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>,
> Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:04:14 +0100
>> Harry Bloomfield Esq <a@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote:

>>> I have a router/access point in the loft, second one on ground floor
>>> (2.4/5Ghz). I fitted a 2.4/5Ghz extender, outdoor, in my hut, to
>>> improve garden access. It works quite well.
>>>
>>> Mounting the router indoors, connected to an antenna outdoors, there
>>> will be high losses via the coax - so you would need to consider
>>> mounting the router very close to the antenna..
>
>> There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
>> small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.
>
>> As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.
>
> not at 5GHz !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Metre-Pro-Extension-Cable/dp/B00OZQRNSC

Suggests "Approx 0.22dB loss per Metre for 2.4GHz applications. Approx
0.36dB loss per Metre for 5GHz applications".

So it rather depends on how farther hut is away from the source.

If any distance I think a better bet is Ethernet with POE supplying
power to an Access Point in the hut.

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<5b52a9db35charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128981&group=uk.d-i-y#128981

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 24 20:45:02 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 20:45 UTC

In article <uvmmn7$14i0k$1@dont-email.me>,
Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid> wrote:
> On 16/04/2024 20:08, charles wrote:
> > In article <20240416185125.3e3dd368@jrenewsid.jretrading.com>,
> > Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> >> There really shouldn't be. Pretty much all RF coax is 50 Ohms, and most
> >> small commercial antennas are nominally 50 Ohms.
> >
> >> As long as the antenna is a 50 Ohm type, losses should be small.
> >
> > not at 5GHz !

> https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Metre-Pro-Extension-Cable/dp/B00OZQRNSC

> Suggests "Approx 0.22dB loss per Metre for 2.4GHz applications. Approx
> 0.36dB loss per Metre for 5GHz applications".

so, over half the signal will be lost at 5GHz.

> So it rather depends on how farther hut is away from the source.

> If any distance I think a better bet is Ethernet with POE supplying
> power to an Access Point in the hut.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: External WiFi aerial or full access point?

<uvmqed$15diu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=128982&group=uk.d-i-y#128982

From: fredxx@spam.invalid (Fredxx)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 22:26:37 +0100
 by: Fredxx - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 21:26 UTC

On 16/04/2024 21:45, charles wrote:
> In article <uvmmn7$14i0k$1@dont-email.me>,
> Fredxx <fredxx@spam.invalid> wrote:
>> On 16/04/2024 20:08, charles wrote:

>>> not at 5GHz !
>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/20-Metre-Pro-Extension-Cable/dp/B00OZQRNSC
>
>> Suggests "Approx 0.22dB loss per Metre for 2.4GHz applications. Approx
>> 0.36dB loss per Metre for 5GHz applications".
>
> so, over half the signal will be lost at 5GHz.

If longer than 8.3m or 27ft?