I thought YOU silenced the guard!

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

SubjectAuthor
* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Mike McMillan
+* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.J. P. Gilliver
> [...]
|     |  ||  `* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.J. P. Gilliver
|     |  ||   +- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Mike McMillan
|     |  ||   `* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Penny
|     |  ||    `* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Mike McMillan
|     |  ||     `- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.J. P. Gilliver
|     |  |+- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Sam Plusnet
|     |  |`* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Nick Odell
|     |  +* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Joe Kerr
|     |  `- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.krw
|     `* We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Joe Kerr
+- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.Nick Odell
`- We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.steveski

Pages:12345
We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6nbfk$1mtsd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15932&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15932

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:30:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:MnIanuKvv3+52DdhW6COF5krS6Y=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:30 UTC

Ok, so the ‘engineer has plugged in the adaptor to the hub and one of our
three telephones may be plugged into that adaptor but…. After that it’s our
problem (and expense) if we wish to connect more than the one ‘phone, we
must purchase the equipment to do so!

I am in correspondence with Virginontherediculous Complaints about the
episode as the ‘engineer was pants and once he had plugged in the adaptor,
nuggered off without an explanation or even a good bye!(nother story)
Having told me with need to buy new equipment such as something I couldn’t
even see on the mobile phone screen he waved at me - we went to ring Conn
Evans who supplied the two phone recently. When we put the phone down -
there he was gone!

Anyrats who would like to suggest what we need to connect the other two
phones to use elsewhere around Toodle Towers that presumably need to have
some form of ‘base station’ connection to work - please speak up. I don’t
wish to rewire the house with socketry as I had to for the BT line years
ago and I would imagine that these days, such like can be made
‘wirelessly’.

The setup is: Virgin hub VOIP adaptor to one telephone lead, then we need
the other ‘phones to communicate with this link so that we may phone in or
out from any one of the instruments just by picking up the handsets. I
appreciate that the units may have to. Have power adaptors to work.

Nothing was said by the ‘engineer’ about the emergency ‘phone for use in a
power outage…. (This was specifically requested and also mentioned again in
my complaint)

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<E8gnnSwEe8jkFwwi@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15955&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15955

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:12:04 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 03:12 UTC

In message <u6nbfk$1mtsd$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Jun 2023 16:30:44,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>Ok, so the ‘engineer has plugged in the adaptor to the hub and one of our
>three telephones may be plugged into that adaptor but…. After that it’s our
[]
>Anyrats who would like to suggest what we need to connect the other two
>phones to use elsewhere around Toodle Towers that presumably need to have
>some form of ‘base station’ connection to work - please speak up. I don’t
>wish to rewire the house with socketry as I had to for the BT line years
>ago and I would imagine that these days, such like can be made
>‘wirelessly’.

I'm assuming the "adaptor" is something that allows you to use an
ordinary old-fashioned 'phone with the new system. (By that I mean one
with tone dialling - I doubt they're going to still support pulse
dialling, so my nice old heavy dial-phone will be junk [to be fair it's
developed a loose connection I can't find so I'd retired it anyway].)

If my assumption is right, then the adaptor becomes your new "master
socket", to which all old-style 'phones have to be connected. If you had
a set of cordless 'phones that all connected to a base station, then
that base station - which was originally connected to your master
socket, either directly or by an extension lead - will now have to be
connected to your "adaptor", either directly or by an extension lead.

>The setup is: Virgin hub VOIP adaptor to one telephone lead, then we need
>the other ‘phones to communicate with this link so that we may phone in or
>out from any one of the instruments just by picking up the handsets. I
>appreciate that the units may have to. Have power adaptors to work.

Assuming they're "cordless" handsets, then they communicate with the
base station by wireless anyway: the only function of their power
adaptors is to keep their internal batteries charged, they don't do any
communicating. Most base stations support up to four handsets, though
there may be ones that support more.

If you have _corded_ 'phones around the house - ones that didn't work at
all even before unless they were connected - then they'll need to be
connected to the "adaptor": but, presumably, they previously had to be
connected to the "master socket", so you'll already have the wiring in
place - you may just need to change the pluggery direction.

>Nothing was said by the ‘engineer’ about the emergency ‘phone for
>use in a
>power outage…. (This was specifically requested and also mentioned again in
>my complaint)

The industry - supported by OfCom, which I think is atrocious - has
basically said "tough" about any such concerns. At a pinch they'll
supply _very_ vulnerable people with some sort of battery backup for the
"hub", but I can't see that lasting more than a few hours - no help if
you need emergency services some days into a long power cut. Of course,
they'll say "use a mobile", and most people will indeed have one - but I
object to having to buy one if I didn't have one. (And there will be
people who have no signal, of course.) Plus, I don't know what sort of
backup the mobile network has: old-fashioned telephone exchanges have a
battery _room_, but I can't see the average stuck-up-a-pole mobile base
station having anything like that capacity. Especially since they're
using power all the time, just maintaining contact with mobiles in their
area, whereas old-fashioned exchanges only needed it when someone was
actually making a call.

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6p05e$20qtj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15957&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15957

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:29:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZgUswqt0DrAMrkXywikuZL+VZ1Y=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:29 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> [...]
> basically said "tough" about any such concerns. At a pinch they'll
> supply _very_ vulnerable people with some sort of battery backup for the
> "hub", but I can't see that lasting more than a few hours - no help if
> you need emergency services some days into a long power cut. Of course,
> they'll say "use a mobile", and most people will indeed have one - but I
> object to having to buy one if I didn't have one. (And there will be
> people who have no signal, of course.) Plus, I don't know what sort of
> backup the mobile network has: old-fashioned telephone exchanges have a
> battery _room_, but I can't see the average stuck-up-a-pole mobile base
> station having anything like that capacity. Especially since they're
> using power all the time, just maintaining contact with mobiles in their
> area, whereas old-fashioned exchanges only needed it when someone was

As previously mentioned M’Lud, our phones were wired, the master socket is
in the hall, the new-fangled VOIP adaptor socket is upstairs and nowhere
near any of the tefelone socketry.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<5A2oIb0AhBkkFw8S@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15960&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15960

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:56:32 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 08:56 UTC

In message <u6p05e$20qtj$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:29:51,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
[]
>As previously mentioned M’Lud, our phones were wired, the master socket is
>in the hall, the new-fangled VOIP adaptor socket is upstairs and nowhere
>near any of the tefelone socketry.

Is it a new socket fixed to the wall, or just an adapter plugged into
your "hub" (what used to be called a "router" in UK)?

If the latter, could you _move_ it to the hall, so you can plug into it
the "master plug" that's currently plugged into your master socket
(presumably with a tree of adapters, extension leads, etc.)? Or would
that then mean it affects its wifi coverage?

The thing about smut is it harms no one and it's rarely cruel. Besides, it's a
gleeful rejection of the dreary and the "correct".
- Alison Graham, RT 2014/10/25-31

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6p5ld$21dhi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15962&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15962

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:03:40 +0100
 by: Philip Hole - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:03 UTC

On 19/06/2023 08:29, Mike McMillan wrote:

> As previously mentioned M’Lud, our phones were wired, the master socket is
> in the hall, the new-fangled VOIP adaptor socket is upstairs and nowhere
> near any of the tefelone socketry.

We have recently transferred to Virgin (either that or nothing).
Router and fibre installed - engineer vanished.
Nowhere to plug our cordless phone into (the engineer had forgotten to
leave the adapter).
Adapter from eBay.
We have liftoff.
One base station with answerphone +handset. Three other chargers +handsets.
Works fine. Signal at the bottom of the garden.
The handsets are very basic - all the hardwork (address book etc) are in
the base unit.
Panasonic - but not easy to add single handsets as they frequently
change the model. They work ok but buttons (eg intercom/address book)
can be anywhere).
best of luck
flop
--

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<e466a291-9a84-4d95-9280-f5a03a0ef6cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15969&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15969

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 02:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: nickodell@bigfoot.com (Nick Odell)
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 09:52 UTC

On Sunday, June 18, 2023 at 4:30:46 PM UTC, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Ok, so the ‘engineer has plugged in the adaptor to the hub and one of our
> three telephones may be plugged into that adaptor but…. After that it’s our
> problem (and expense) if we wish to connect more than the one ‘phone, we
> must purchase the equipment to do so!
>
> I am in correspondence with Virginontherediculous Complaints about the
> episode as the ‘engineer was pants and once he had plugged in the adaptor,
> nuggered off without an explanation or even a good bye!(nother story)
> Having told me with need to buy new equipment such as something I couldn’t
> even see on the mobile phone screen he waved at me - we went to ring Conn
> Evans who supplied the two phone recently. When we put the phone down -
> there he was gone!
>
> Anyrats who would like to suggest what we need to connect the other two
> phones to use elsewhere around Toodle Towers that presumably need to have
> some form of ‘base station’ connection to work - please speak up. I don’t
> wish to rewire the house with socketry as I had to for the BT line years
> ago and I would imagine that these days, such like can be made
> ‘wirelessly’.
>
> The setup is: Virgin hub VOIP adaptor to one telephone lead, then we need
> the other ‘phones to communicate with this link so that we may phone in or
> out from any one of the instruments just by picking up the handsets. I
> appreciate that the units may have to. Have power adaptors to work.
>
> Nothing was said by the ‘engineer’ about the emergency ‘phone for use in a
> power outage…. (This was specifically requested and also mentioned again in
> my complaint)

As I've mentioned before, (forgive the mixed metaphor) The writing was on the wall about the emergency provision so I jumped ship before I was pushed. I'm still using a mifi unit and it seems to have enough bandwidth to accommodate us two when we are using different things at the same time.

A solar-powered powerbank seems to be enough to ensure that the unit stays on continuously in the event of a long power cut but I'm aware that while some mobile phone masts have generator kits with enough fuel to keep them running for up to 48hrs, others only have back-up batteries which are rated just for a few hours.

TL:DR If power outages continue for more than a few days we are all nuggered, whatever we do.

Nick
nickodell49@yahoo.ca

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<3bc09ihgvpbgij6m06cqn1vl5lsf343nlk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15975&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15975

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:54:28 +0100
 by: Penny - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:54 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:12:04 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>The industry - supported by OfCom, which I think is atrocious - has
>basically said "tough" about any such concerns. At a pinch they'll
>supply _very_ vulnerable people with some sort of battery backup for the
>"hub", but I can't see that lasting more than a few hours - no help if
>you need emergency services some days into a long power cut. Of course,
>they'll say "use a mobile", and most people will indeed have one - but I
>object to having to buy one if I didn't have one. (And there will be
>people who have no signal, of course.) Plus, I don't know what sort of
>backup the mobile network has: old-fashioned telephone exchanges have a
>battery _room_, but I can't see the average stuck-up-a-pole mobile base
>station having anything like that capacity. Especially since they're
>using power all the time, just maintaining contact with mobiles in their
>area, whereas old-fashioned exchanges only needed it when someone was
>actually making a call.

This is why I worry about the increasing reliance upon the internet. If
there are no 'landlines' and the web or power network goes down for any
reason (war or weather come to mind), we'll be stuck with no
communications.
Even Mike, in his personal power station, may struggle.

Back in 1987, after the hurricane, our village was without power for at
least a week (no compensation because the problem was so widespread and
they didn't have enough engineers). The telephone continued to work for
several days before the batteries in the exchange died.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<anf09ip7fdge7bja740jal67sm6c4h1ug0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15977&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15977

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 12:42:16 +0100
 by: Vicky - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:42 UTC

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 11:54:28 +0100, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 04:12:04 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> a
>gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>>The industry - supported by OfCom, which I think is atrocious - has
>>basically said "tough" about any such concerns. At a pinch they'll
>>supply _very_ vulnerable people with some sort of battery backup for the
>>"hub", but I can't see that lasting more than a few hours - no help if
>>you need emergency services some days into a long power cut. Of course,
>>they'll say "use a mobile", and most people will indeed have one - but I
>>object to having to buy one if I didn't have one. (And there will be
>>people who have no signal, of course.) Plus, I don't know what sort of
>>backup the mobile network has: old-fashioned telephone exchanges have a
>>battery _room_, but I can't see the average stuck-up-a-pole mobile base
>>station having anything like that capacity. Especially since they're
>>using power all the time, just maintaining contact with mobiles in their
>>area, whereas old-fashioned exchanges only needed it when someone was
>>actually making a call.
>
>This is why I worry about the increasing reliance upon the internet. If
>there are no 'landlines' and the web or power network goes down for any
>reason (war or weather come to mind), we'll be stuck with no
>communications.
>Even Mike, in his personal power station, may struggle.

Might he then be the only person around who has power and can
communicate but nobody else has so nobody to talk to?

>Back in 1987, after the hurricane, our village was without power for at
>least a week (no compensation because the problem was so widespread and
>they didn't have enough engineers). The telephone continued to work for
>several days before the batteries in the exchange died.

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6pjh7$22rs1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15978&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15978

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Znp3JgRT9C7zS6qV4qZqAx3CXwI=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <u6p05e$20qtj$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 07:29:51,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
> []
>> As previously mentioned M’Lud, our phones were wired, the master socket is
>> in the hall, the new-fangled VOIP adaptor socket is upstairs and nowhere
>> near any of the tefelone socketry.
>>
> Is it a new socket fixed to the wall, or just an adapter plugged into
> your "hub" (what used to be called a "router" in UK)?
>
> If the latter, could you _move_ it to the hall, so you can plug into it
> the "master plug" that's currently plugged into your master socket
> (presumably with a tree of adapters, extension leads, etc.)? Or would
> that then mean it affects its wifi coverage?

The VOTR lead is just a few cm. of lead with a telephone socket one end and
a plug for the telephone connection of the Hub. The Hub is upstairs, the
master socket is downstairs. ‘Moving’ is just not on! The hub has a large
cable connection from a socket on the wall and has a ‘Y’ adaptor with
terminating and attenuating plugs where it separates from the feed to the
TV circuit.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6pjh7$22rs1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15979&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15979

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lYSqCl02uENhpxgNSdxUVC7QGKA=

Philip Hole <news@theholefamily.org> wrote:
> On 19/06/2023 08:29, Mike McMillan wrote:
>

>> As previously mentioned M’Lud, our phones were wired, the master socket is
>> in the hall, the new-fangled VOIP adaptor socket is upstairs and nowhere
>> near any of the tefelone socketry.
>>

> We have recently transferred to Virgin (either that or nothing).
>
> Router and fibre installed - engineer vanished.
>
> Nowhere to plug our cordless phone into (the engineer had forgotten to
> leave the adapter).
>
> Adapter from eBay.
>
> We have liftoff.
>
> One base station with answerphone +handset. Three other chargers +handsets.
>
> Works fine. Signal at the bottom of the garden.
>
> The handsets are very basic - all the hardwork (address book etc) are in
> the base unit.
>
> Panasonic - but not easy to add single handsets as they frequently
> change the model. They work ok but buttons (eg intercom/address book)
> can be anywhere).
>
> best of luck
> flop

Oh Flop, please give more details as this sounds like the sort of thing we
will be forced to cough up for!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6q4o3$24k64$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15986&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15986

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:54:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:c1xKm2Fsmc33ZFxC5/+kS8e/lPo=
 by: Chris - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 17:54 UTC

> [...]
> basically said "tough" about any such concerns. At a pinch they'll
> supply _very_ vulnerable people with some sort of battery backup for the
> "hub", but I can't see that lasting more than a few hours - no help if
> you need emergency services some days into a long power cut. Of course,
> they'll say "use a mobile", and most people will indeed have one - but I
> object to having to buy one if I didn't have one. (And there will be
> people who have no signal, of course.) Plus, I don't know what sort of
> backup the mobile network has: old-fashioned telephone exchanges have a
> battery _room_, but I can't see the average stuck-up-a-pole mobile base
> station having anything like that capacity. Especially since they're
> using power all the time, just maintaining contact with mobiles in their
> area, whereas old-fashioned exchanges only needed it when someone was

There are many people with hearing loss for whom a mobile just does not
work on speech. I gather the speech to text apps are “iffy” but you get
by. Bit like Siri I suspect! I’d go as far as to say Spanish neighbour
can’t hear us on her cordless as she never replies to my answers to her
questions.

Mrs McT

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<kfbtv2Fi4p5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15988&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15988

From: steveski@invalid.com (steveski)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:00:18 +0100
 by: steveski - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 21:00 UTC

On 18/06/2023 17:30, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Ok, so the ‘engineer has plugged in the adaptor to the hub and one of our
> three telephones may be plugged into that adaptor but…. After that it’s our
[snip] was said by the ‘engineer’ about the emergency ‘phone for use in a
> power outage…. (This was specifically requested and also mentioned again in
> my complaint)

I just plugged a three-way BT-type adaptor into the end of the converter
cable (from the router) and Robert was my aunt's live-in lover.

--
Steveski

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<hCxO4yFcjPkkFwfK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15992&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15992

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 01:54:52 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 00:54 UTC

In message <u6pjh7$22rs1$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[]
>> Is it a new socket fixed to the wall, or just an adapter plugged into
>> your "hub" (what used to be called a "router" in UK)?
>>
>> If the latter, could you _move_ it to the hall, so you can plug into it
>> the "master plug" that's currently plugged into your master socket
>> (presumably with a tree of adapters, extension leads, etc.)? Or would
>> that then mean it affects its wifi coverage?
>
>The VOTR lead is just a few cm. of lead with a telephone socket one end and
>a plug for the telephone connection of the Hub. The Hub is upstairs, the
>master socket is downstairs. ‘Moving’ is just not on! The hub has a large
>cable connection from a socket on the wall and has a ‘Y’ adaptor with
>terminating and attenuating plugs where it separates from the feed to the
>TV circuit.

Ah, I'd forgotten some people get TV through it as well.

Surely if the "up"grade involves a new master socket - or whatever it's
actually called - the householder has the right to choose where that is
put?

Warning. The following ad break may contain sofas. - seen on Dave, 2018-4-20

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<kfd5ouFo2nuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15995&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15995

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:19:43 +0100
 by: Kate B - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:19 UTC

On 20/06/2023 01:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <u6pjh7$22rs1$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> []
>>> Is it a new socket fixed to the wall, or just an adapter plugged into
>>> your "hub" (what used to be called a "router" in UK)?
>>>
>>> If the latter, could you _move_ it to the hall, so you can plug into it
>>> the "master plug" that's currently plugged into your master socket
>>> (presumably with a tree of adapters, extension leads, etc.)? Or would
>>> that then mean it affects its wifi coverage?
>>
>> The VOTR lead is just a few cm. of lead with a telephone socket one
>> end and
>> a plug for the telephone connection of the Hub. The Hub is upstairs, the
>> master socket  is downstairs. ‘Moving’ is just not on! The hub has a
>> large
>> cable connection from a socket on the wall and has a ‘Y’ adaptor with
>> terminating and attenuating plugs where it separates from the feed to the
>> TV circuit.
>>
> Ah, I'd forgotten some people get TV through it as well.
>
> Surely if the "up"grade involves a new master socket - or whatever it's
> actually called - the householder has the right to choose where that is
> put?

With fibre there may not be many options for where it comes into the house.

We had a Virgin set up in London, where the (still copper) phone line
master socket was beside the router hub in the hallway. The cable for
the television actually came in on the other side of the house, which
was where the television was. We would have needed to run a cable from
the router to the tv to get maximum speed but that would have been a
pain and in fact the tv worked fine on wireless. This was before the
days of compulsory VOIP, but even then the socket for the VOIP phone was
part of the router and not a separate wall box.

Here I have a Vodafone router nestling slightly awkwardly by the tv as
it was the only place the fibre could come into the house. The VOIP
socket is part of it. I find I don't need a landline any more so haven't
used it, but all it would take would be a base centre plugged into the
router hub (it would also need an electrical socket too), then wireless
handsets placed where required throughout the house.

Mike, are you sure your main phone needs to be plugged into a wall
mounted master socket? None of the copper circuits will work any more,
so all the wired extensions are now redundant.

--
Kate B

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6ronr$2db44$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15996&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15996

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:41:31 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Uw2KF8FHTwpZv000MLEp8CbffIo=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 08:41 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 01:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <u6pjh7$22rs1$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23,
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> []

>>> The VOTR lead is just a few cm. of lead with a telephone socket one
>>> end and
>>> a plug for the telephone connection of the Hub. The Hub is upstairs, the
>>> master socket  is downstairs. ‘Moving’ is just not on! The hub has a
>>> large
>>> cable connection from a socket on the wall and has a ‘Y’ adaptor with
>>> terminating and attenuating plugs where it separates from the feed to the
>>> TV circuit.
>>>
>> Ah, I'd forgotten some people get TV through it as well.
>>
>> Surely if the "up"grade involves a new master socket - or whatever it's
>> actually called - the householder has the right to choose where that is
>> put?
>
> With fibre there may not be many options for where it comes into the house.
>
> We had a Virgin set up in London, where the (still copper) phone line
> master socket was beside the router hub in the hallway. The cable for
> the television actually came in on the other side of the house, which
> was where the television was. We would have needed to run a cable from
> the router to the tv to get maximum speed but that would have been a
> pain and in fact the tv worked fine on wireless. This was before the
> days of compulsory VOIP, but even then the socket for the VOIP phone was
> part of the router and not a separate wall box.
>
> Here I have a Vodafone router nestling slightly awkwardly by the tv as
> it was the only place the fibre could come into the house. The VOIP
> socket is part of it. I find I don't need a landline any more so haven't
> used it, but all it would take would be a base centre plugged into the
> router hub (it would also need an electrical socket too), then wireless
> handsets placed where required throughout the house.
>
> Mike, are you sure your main phone needs to be plugged into a wall
> mounted master socket? None of the copper circuits will work any more,
> so all the wired extensions are now redundant.

I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now disconnected
the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<kfd8edFo2nuU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=15999&group=uk.media.radio.archers#15999

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:05:19 +0100
 by: Kate B - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:05 UTC

On 20/06/2023 09:41, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 20/06/2023 01:54, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <u6pjh7$22rs1$1@dont-email.me> at Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:00:23,
>>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
>>> []

>>> Ah, I'd forgotten some people get TV through it as well.
>>>
>>> Surely if the "up"grade involves a new master socket - or whatever it's
>>> actually called - the householder has the right to choose where that is
>>> put?
>>
>> With fibre there may not be many options for where it comes into the house.
>>
>> We had a Virgin set up in London, where the (still copper) phone line
>> master socket was beside the router hub in the hallway. The cable for
>> the television actually came in on the other side of the house, which
>> was where the television was. We would have needed to run a cable from
>> the router to the tv to get maximum speed but that would have been a
>> pain and in fact the tv worked fine on wireless. This was before the
>> days of compulsory VOIP, but even then the socket for the VOIP phone was
>> part of the router and not a separate wall box.
>>
>> Here I have a Vodafone router nestling slightly awkwardly by the tv as
>> it was the only place the fibre could come into the house. The VOIP
>> socket is part of it. I find I don't need a landline any more so haven't
>> used it, but all it would take would be a base centre plugged into the
>> router hub (it would also need an electrical socket too), then wireless
>> handsets placed where required throughout the house.
>>
>> Mike, are you sure your main phone needs to be plugged into a wall
>> mounted master socket? None of the copper circuits will work any more,
>> so all the wired extensions are now redundant.
>>

> I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now disconnected
> the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
> wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
> enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!

Does the line plug from the phone not fit into a phone socket in the
router itself? I thought your phones were new? Are they not compatible
with the router phone socket?

--
Kate B

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<qpG8CXKDRXkkFwdQ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16000&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16000

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:41:23 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 09:41 UTC

In message <kfd8edFo2nuU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 20 Jun 2023
10:05:19, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 20/06/2023 09:41, Mike McMillan wrote:
[]
>> I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now
>>disconnected
>> the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
>> wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
>> enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!
>>

>Does the line plug from the phone not fit into a phone socket in the
>router itself? I thought your phones were new? Are they not compatible
>with the router phone socket?

If your 'phones are all of the wired type, then presumably you have
wires already strung (tidily) around the house, to connect all those
'phones to the old master socket. Do none of those wires pass near
enough the new device location that you can tap your old house wired
network (maybe needing a short extra bit) into it, maybe needing a
socket changing to a plug or something (and of course unplugging the
wired house network from the old master socket, which may be killing the
wired house network if it's still plugged into it)?

Less rules means fewer grammar? - Marjorie in UMRA, 2014-1-28 13:14

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6rvqj$2e25q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16007&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16007

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:42:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cGycC7+KnfDF66TStw92jRpKmvY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:42 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/06/2023 09:41, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> With fibre there may not be many options for where it comes into the house.
>>>
>>> We had a Virgin set up in London, where the (still copper) phone line
>>> master socket was beside the router hub in the hallway. The cable for
>>> the television actually came in on the other side of the house, which
>>> was where the television was. We would have needed to run a cable from
>>> the router to the tv to get maximum speed but that would have been a
>>> pain and in fact the tv worked fine on wireless. This was before the
>>> days of compulsory VOIP, but even then the socket for the VOIP phone was
>>> part of the router and not a separate wall box.
>>>
>>> Here I have a Vodafone router nestling slightly awkwardly by the tv as
>>> it was the only place the fibre could come into the house. The VOIP
>>> socket is part of it. I find I don't need a landline any more so haven't
>>> used it, but all it would take would be a base centre plugged into the
>>> router hub (it would also need an electrical socket too), then wireless
>>> handsets placed where required throughout the house.
>>>
>>> Mike, are you sure your main phone needs to be plugged into a wall
>>> mounted master socket? None of the copper circuits will work any more,
>>> so all the wired extensions are now redundant.
>>>

>> I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now disconnected
>> the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
>> wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
>> enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!
>>

> Does the line plug from the phone not fit into a phone socket in the
> router itself? I thought your phones were new? Are they not compatible
> with the router phone socket?

The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket in the
good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
are not connected to a working circuit.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6s036$2e2t2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16008&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16008

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:47:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bRljf0R9XkvecjXVzXQbB5/tTAM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:47 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <kfd8edFo2nuU2@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 20 Jun 2023
> 10:05:19, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> On 20/06/2023 09:41, Mike McMillan wrote:
> []
>>> I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now
>>> disconnected
>>> the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
>>> wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
>>> enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!
>>>

>> Does the line plug from the phone not fit into a phone socket in the
>> router itself? I thought your phones were new? Are they not compatible
>> with the router phone socket?
>>
> If your 'phones are all of the wired type, then presumably you have
> wires already strung (tidily) around the house, to connect all those
> 'phones to the old master socket. Do none of those wires pass near
> enough the new device location that you can tap your old house wired
> network (maybe needing a short extra bit) into it, maybe needing a
> socket changing to a plug or something (and of course unplugging the
> wired house network from the old master socket, which may be killing the
> wired house network if it's still plugged into it)?

There is an extension socket 2 walls away at the other end of the room
(with doors in the way of course) and I am unfamiliar with what
modifications would be required to ‘back connect’ the other house sockets
to the hub. Master sockets contains some gubbins too don’t they?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<kfded8Fo2nuU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16009&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16009

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 11:47:06 +0100
 by: Kate B - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 10:47 UTC

On 20/06/2023 11:42, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I know the ‘old’ mastersocket does not work as they have now disconnected
>>> the landline. Our phones are all of the conventional type and have to be
>>> wired to the socket. We are being forced into buying various biys of kit to
>>> enable these phone to work with VOTR VOIP. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!
>>>

>> Does the line plug from the phone not fit into a phone socket in the
>> router itself? I thought your phones were new? Are they not compatible
>> with the router phone socket?
>>

> The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket in the
> good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
> plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
> length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
> is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
> around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
> are not connected to a working circuit.

Ah, I see. Scuppered, then... What a pain! Can Connevans exchange your
new phones for a set of wireless ones? The base unit will plug into the
router.

--
Kate B

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<dywBkCNaTdkkFw7w@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16014&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16014

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:33:30 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 16:33 UTC

In message <kfded8Fo2nuU4@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 20 Jun 2023
11:47:06, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 20/06/2023 11:42, Mike McMillan wrote:
[]
>> The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket
>>in the
>> good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
>> plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
>> length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
>> is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
>> around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
>> are not connected to a working circuit.

If you have one socket - on the hub, or an adaptor that plugs into the
hub - into which you can plug one 'phone, that's the new master socket.
I would imagine your extension wiring will still work, though you'll
have to use a back-to-back lead to connect them into the hub (I typed
hug there at first!). Yes, master sockets have extra gubbins in them,
but if they told you you could plug one 'phone into the adapter/hub,
then that must have whatever's necessary, or it wouldn't work. But ...

>Ah, I see. Scuppered, then... What a pain! Can Connevans exchange your
>new phones for a set of wireless ones? The base unit will plug into the
>router.

.... I was going to say it might be time to bite the bullet and do that
anyway - you'd get the benefit of all sorts of things your old wired
'phones didn't have, such as caller display, blocking, cordlessness,
memories, and so on. BUT - check that such things still are provided (i.
e. work) with VOIP - I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear they don't,
and the industry is keeping quiet about it. If they _won't_, then the
only benefit would be cordlessness (and maybe memories).

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues
-- Abraham Lincoln quoted by Mark Lloyd in alt.windows7.general 2018-12-27

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6smdf$2g9dj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16016&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16016

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:07:59 -0000 (UTC)
<kfded8Fo2nuU4@mid.individual.net>
<dywBkCNaTdkkFw7w@255soft.uk>
sha1:a5e214LziZ3SquB+I5KpRXP8u48=
 by: Mike McMillan - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 17:07 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <kfded8Fo2nuU4@mid.individual.net> at Tue, 20 Jun 2023
> 11:47:06, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>> On 20/06/2023 11:42, Mike McMillan wrote:
> []
>>> The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket
>>> in the
>>> good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
>>> plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
>>> length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
>>> is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
>>> around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
>>> are not connected to a working circuit.
>>>
> If you have one socket - on the hub, or an adaptor that plugs into the
> hub - into which you can plug one 'phone, that's the new master socket.
> I would imagine your extension wiring will still work, though you'll
> have to use a back-to-back lead to connect them into the hub (I typed
> hug there at first!). Yes, master sockets have extra gubbins in them,
> but if they told you you could plug one 'phone into the adapter/hub,
> then that must have whatever's necessary, or it wouldn't work. But ...
>>
>> Ah, I see. Scuppered, then... What a pain! Can Connevans exchange your
>> new phones for a set of wireless ones? The base unit will plug into the
>> router.
>>
> ... I was going to say it might be time to bite the bullet and do that
> anyway - you'd get the benefit of all sorts of things your old wired
> 'phones didn't have, such as caller display, blocking, cordlessness,
> memories, and so on. BUT - check that such things still are provided (i.
> e. work) with VOIP - I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear they don't,
> and the industry is keeping quiet about it. If they _won't_, then the
> only benefit would be cordlessness (and maybe memories).

I have had a more useful reply from VOTR this time (much delayed as VOTR
seem to be delaying emails for something in excess of 24 hours at preset,
even their own messages!) They have informed me that I need to ensure any
equipments are GAP compatible. This is beginning to sound as though we have
to dispense with our recently purchased phones designed especially for the
hearing impaired and start using DECT type equipments (at more cost of
course!) What I feel we need is the ‘front end’ of a GAP cordless system
into which we can plug in the phones we have that Chris can use.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6t2ae$2hi9j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16020&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16020

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:31:09 +0100
 by: Philip Hole - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:31 UTC

On 20/06/2023 11:42, Mike McMillan wrote:

> The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket in the
> good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
> plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
> length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
> is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
> around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
> are not connected to a working circuit.

What you are looking for is something like:

Panasonic KX-TGC224EB DECT Cordless Phone with Answering Machine
4 handsets and answering machine for £70 from Amazon.
One base unit goes into the router/hub with ~1.5m lead. The rest can be
scattered around the house.
Flop

[OT] Climate change (Fwd: Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.)

<u6t2tf$2hi9j$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16021&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16021

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: [OT] Climate change (Fwd: Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the
changeover to VOIP.)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:41:19 +0100
 by: Philip Hole - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 20:41 UTC

No-one seems to care about climate change these days.

There you are, grumbling about VOIP, internet and technicalities.

And no-one asks the important relevant questions..

such as

"Where are xxxthousand of blxxdy telegraph poles going to go?"

Flop

Re: We are Virgin but you must pay for the changeover to VOIP.

<u6tb22$2g0c8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16024&group=uk.media.radio.archers#16024

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:00:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Tue, 20 Jun 2023 23:00 UTC

On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 21:31:09 +0100, Philip Hole wrote:

> On 20/06/2023 11:42, Mike McMillan wrote:
>

>> The phones plug into waht used to be regarded as a Telephone Socket in the
>> good old dat. VOTR have a socket on the hub for a telephone adaptor to be
>> plugged into it - to work with one phone that has to be no more than the
>> length of lead away from the hub - that’s all there is! Our master socket
>> is downstairs and years ago, I wired extensions from that mastersocket
>> around the house - now all defunct and with two ‘phones sulking ‘cos they
>> are not connected to a working circuit.
>>
> What you are looking for is something like:
>

> Panasonic KX-TGC224EB DECT Cordless Phone with Answering Machine
>
> 4 handsets and answering machine for £70 from Amazon.
>
> One base unit goes into the router/hub with ~1.5m lead. The rest can be
> scattered around the house.
>
> Flop

I've been using Panasonic DECT phones and AM for years on my POTS landline.
It's encouraging to know I'll be able to continue doing so when the VOIP
shift occurs. They've been good. I've been able to mix different
Panasonic models, and even to get other DECT makes functioning, I think
using the same base unit. The only fault the Panasonics are now showing,
after probably about ten years use, is that the battery charge indicators
no longer register fully. That's using replaceable NiMH AAAs of known
quality.