One small step for man, one giant stumble for mankind.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / HFM ?

SubjectAuthor
* HFM ?crn
+* HFM ?Tim
|`* HFM ?Scion
| `- HFM ?Tim
`* HFM ?Boots
 `* HFM ?Mark Olson
  +- HFM ?wessie
  `* HFM ?jeremy
   +* HFM ?siwilson
   |`* HFM ?Alan Lee
   | +- HFM ?Mark Olson
   | `* HFM ?Turby
   |  `* HFM ?Mark Olson
   |   `* HFM ?Scion
   |    +* HFM ?wessie
   |    |`- HFM ?Scion
   |    `* HFM ?Pipl
   |     `* HFM ?wessie
   |      `* HFM ?WUN
   |       +* HFM ?Mike Fleming
   |       |+* HFM ?Ace
   |       ||+* HFM ?WUN
   |       |||+* HFM ?ogden
   |       ||||`- HFM ?RustyHinge
   |       |||`* HFM ?Turby
   |       ||| `- HFM ?Mike Fleming
   |       ||`- HFM ?geoffC
   |       |`* HFM ?Pipl
   |       | `* HFM ?Alan Lee
   |       |  +- HFM ?Bruce Horrocks
   |       |  +- HFM ?chrisnd @ukrm
   |       |  +- HFM ?Hog
   |       |  `* HFM ?Mike Fleming
   |       |   +- HFM ?Eddie
   |       |   `- HFM ?Pipl
   |       `* HFM ?Champ
   |        `- HFM ?WUN
   `* HFM ?Colin Irvine
    `- HFM ?jeremy

Pages:12
HFM ?

<u608t1$21a1g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16483&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16483

From: crn@nospam.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: HFM ?
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 22:25:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: crn@nospam.com - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 22:25 UTC

The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.

Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
£ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.

--
http://www.netunix.com/

Re: HFM ?

<u61e7h$28odl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16484&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16484

From: nobody@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: HFM ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:02:39 +0100
 by: Tim - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:02 UTC

On 09/06/2023 23:25, crn@nospam.com wrote:
> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>
> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
> £ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
> a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.

I would have thought (hoped?) that they would have made the workshop
rate known to you before starting work.

Re: HFM ?

<u61fdk$28scl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16485&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16485

From: a.b@nospam.invalid (Scion)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:23:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Scion - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 09:23 UTC

On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:02:39 +0100, Tim wrote:

> On 09/06/2023 23:25, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
>> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
>> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
>> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>>
>> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but £ 100
>> / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from a main
>> dealer but a small local outfit ???.
>>
> I would have thought (hoped?) that they would have made the workshop
> rate known to you before starting work.

Does anyone do that? If anything IME it tends to be the other way round -
I'm told how much the parts are but not the labour cost or time (not that
I ask).

Re: HFM ?

<7kudlj-5l4.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16487&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16487

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 18:07:35 +0800
 by: Boots - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:07 UTC

On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:
> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>
> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
> £ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
> a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.

And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: HFM ?

<u61jrg$29d5k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16488&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16488

From: nobody@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 11:38:40 +0100
 by: Tim - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:38 UTC

On 10/06/2023 10:23, Scion wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2023 10:02:39 +0100, Tim wrote:
>
>> On 09/06/2023 23:25, crn@nospam.com wrote:
>>> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
>>> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
>>> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
>>> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>>>
>>> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but £ 100
>>> / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from a main
>>> dealer but a small local outfit ???.
>>>
>> I would have thought (hoped?) that they would have made the workshop
>> rate known to you before starting work.
>
> Does anyone do that? If anything IME it tends to be the other way round -
> I'm told how much the parts are but not the labour cost or time (not that
> I ask).

Yes. I just had an independent workshop fix the turbo on the car. Before
agreeing the work the shop told me the parts price, the labour rate and
the estimated total cost. The final cost was within 10 quid of the estimate.

Re: HFM ?

<u629jh$2bue1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16489&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16489

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:49:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 16:49 UTC

Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:
>> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
>> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
>> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
>> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>>
>> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
>> £ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
>> a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.
>>
> And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.

I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: HFM ?

<XnsB01FD0CEAD91Bwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16490&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16490

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:31:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 10 Jun 2023 19:31 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in news:u629jh$2bue1$1@dont-
email.me:

> Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:
>>> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
>>> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
>>> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
>>> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>>>
>>> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
>>> £ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
>>> a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.
>>>
>> And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.
>
> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.

AOL. Few people have any understanding of the overheads relating to running
a business, especially one requiring the investment in premises and
equipment you need for a decent vehicle workshop.

Re: HFM ?

<kep52sFkttdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16493&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16493

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 12 Jun 2023 18:05:16 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 18:05 UTC

On 10 Jun 2023 at 17:49:54 BST, "Mark Olson" <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:

> Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:
>>> The Renault Master developed a squeek at the offside rear.
>>> The wheel was getting a tad hot so obviously a brake problem.
>>> Took it into the local garage/MOT etc place who diagnosed worn pads
>>> rubbing on the disk and booked it in for new rear pads and disks.
>>>
>>> Collected it this afternoon, as expected parts were expensive but
>>> £ 100 / hour labour .... WTF ..., I might have expected that from
>>> a main dealer but a small local outfit ???.
>>>
>> And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.
>
> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.

The main dealer labour rates I have been quoted this year are an eye-watering
~£250/hr

£100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.

--
jeremy

Re: HFM ?

<kepa2hFlm3mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16494&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16494

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:30:26 +0100
 by: siwilson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:30 UTC

On 12/06/2023 19:05, jeremy wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2023 at 17:49:54 BST, "Mark Olson" <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:

>>> And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.
>>
>> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.
>
> The main dealer labour rates I have been quoted this year are an eye-watering
> ~£250/hr
>
> £100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.

My local one man band guy is half that.

--
/Simon

Re: HFM ?

<u67svf$3748t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16495&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16495

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:51:11 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 19:51 UTC

On 12/06/2023 20:30, siwilson wrote:
> On 12/06/2023 19:05, jeremy wrote:

>>> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.
>>
>> The main dealer labour rates I have been quoted this year are an
>> eye-watering
>> ~£250/hr
>>
>> £100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.

> My local one man band guy is half that.

Having a similar converstion via FB on an electricians group. Someone
asked how much to fit a replacement shower. I said if its a straight
swap, then £50. Most of them said £100, a few said £150. Its a 30-40
minute job.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: HFM ?

<u67u87$3786p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16496&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16496

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:12:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:12 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> On 12/06/2023 20:30, siwilson wrote:
>> On 12/06/2023 19:05, jeremy wrote:

>>> £100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.
>
>> My local one man band guy is half that.
>
> Having a similar converstion via FB on an electricians group. Someone
> asked how much to fit a replacement shower. I said if its a straight
> swap, then £50. Most of them said £100, a few said £150. Its a 30-40
> minute job.

30-40 minutes on the site, and how much time spent getting there,
buying supplies, etc.? I really think you're probably leaving money on
the table at that rate, but if you're happy and the customer's happy,
that's what matters.

I'm happy to pay an experienced pro a decent fee for a job that works
out to lotsa money per hour, because they know their stuff and get
it right the 1st time, vs. some chancer who promises a low rate but
ends up delivering worse than D-I-Y quality.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: HFM ?

<u680ne$37mfr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16498&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16498

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 13:55:10 -0700
 by: Turby - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 20:55 UTC

On 6/12/2023 12:51 PM, Alan Lee wrote:

> Having a similar converstion via FB on an electricians group. Someone
> asked how much to fit a replacement shower.

I have to ask. What electrics are involved in replacing a shower?

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: HFM ?

<u6858e$389ed$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16499&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16499

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:12:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:12 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/12/2023 12:51 PM, Alan Lee wrote:
>>
>> Having a similar converstion via FB on an electricians group. Someone
>> asked how much to fit a replacement shower.
>
> I have to ask. What electrics are involved in replacing a shower?

"Their ways are not our ways"

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/electricshower.htm

https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/professional-zone/news/faq-feature-electric-showers/

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: HFM ?

<qe8g8iten0evb5jnedi99tipnjngdairj5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16500&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16500

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:00:29 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 08:00 UTC

On 12 Jun 2023 18:05:16 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10 Jun 2023 at 17:49:54 BST, "Mark Olson" <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Boots <news@millhouse-communications.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On 10/06/2023 06:25 crn@nospam.com penned these words:

>>> And if they're lucky the tech will be on 1/5th of that.
>>
>> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.
>
>The main dealer labour rates I have been quoted this year are an eye-watering
>~£250/hr
>
>£100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.

Ian Bell, our local Yamaha main dealer, is £60/hr.

--
Colin Irvine
FJR1300A

Re: HFM ?

<u69dak$3i07t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16501&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16501

From: a.b@nospam.invalid (Scion)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:36:20 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Scion - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:36 UTC

On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:12:30 +0000, Mark Olson wrote:

> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6/12/2023 12:51 PM, Alan Lee wrote:
>>>
>>> Having a similar converstion via FB on an electricians group. Someone
>>> asked how much to fit a replacement shower.
>>
>> I have to ask. What electrics are involved in replacing a shower?
>
> "Their ways are not our ways"
>
> https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/electricshower.htm
>
> https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/professional-zone/news/faq-feature-
electric-showers/

The cheaper Mira electric showers (or possibly all of them, I don't know,
I have a cheapie) have fixed-wattage heating elements and adjust the
temperature by regulating the water flow. As I pay for water by volume
used, it therefore costs me less to have a hot shower than a warm one.

Re: HFM ?

<XnsB02287E19F60Awtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16502&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16502

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:21:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 12:21 UTC

Scion <a.b@nospam.invalid> wrote in news:u69dak$3i07t$1@dont-email.me:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2023 22:12:30 +0000, Mark Olson wrote:
>
>> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have to ask. What electrics are involved in replacing a shower?
>>
>> "Their ways are not our ways"
>>
>> https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/electricshower.htm
>>
>> https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/professional-zone/news/faq-feature-
> electric-showers/
>
> The cheaper Mira electric showers (or possibly all of them, I don't
> know, I have a cheapie) have fixed-wattage heating elements and adjust
> the temperature by regulating the water flow. As I pay for water by
> volume used, it therefore costs me less to have a hot shower than a
> warm one.

although you might use less water if you take the same time time in the hot
shower compared to the warm one, saving 2p on the water meter, you might
stay longer in the shower, rinsing yourself under a dribble of hot water,
using 30p more electricity.

I have a similar, cheap 8kW Triton shower and in winter when the incoming
water is very cold, I have to shower under a dribble of water compared to
now, when I can have a shower at a proper pressure.

Re: HFM ?

<ghnh8il3kqcnsea3pg326m032ttr90t7vr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16504&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16504

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 22:28:22 +0100
 by: Pipl - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 21:28 UTC

On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:36:20 -0000 (UTC), Scion <a.b@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>The cheaper Mira electric showers (or possibly all of them, I don't know,
>I have a cheapie) have fixed-wattage heating elements and adjust the
>temperature by regulating the water flow. As I pay for water by volume
>used, it therefore costs me less to have a hot shower than a warm one.

Mine is a cheap Triton and it has both flow-controlled temperature and
a dual element heater, so one can switch it to "low". very rarely
used: it could do with having the always-on element a higher realtive
wattage.

Our shower temperature is also regulated by the kitchen taps, the
washing machine and whoever flushed the downstairs toilet. When we
bought the house, we had a huge gas boiler (as well as the showers)
and water pressure was pretty constant. Now we have a condensing
boiler, which is probably more efficient, but the water pressure is
very variable. Such is progress.

I did wonder whether we could have a dual system, where toilets flush
off a header tank instead. Probably won't bother, though.

--

-Pip

Re: HFM ?

<XnsB0234DD542BAwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16506&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16506

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:28:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Tue, 13 Jun 2023 23:28 UTC

Pipl <pluscher@live.co.uk> wrote in

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2023 09:36:20 -0000 (UTC), Scion <a.b@nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>The cheaper Mira electric showers (or possibly all of them, I don't
>>know, I have a cheapie) have fixed-wattage heating elements and adjust
>>the temperature by regulating the water flow. As I pay for water by
>>volume used, it therefore costs me less to have a hot shower than a
>>warm one.
>
> Mine is a cheap Triton and it has both flow-controlled temperature and
> a dual element heater, so one can switch it to "low". very rarely
> used: it could do with having the always-on element a higher realtive
> wattage.
>
> Our shower temperature is also regulated by the kitchen taps, the
> washing machine and whoever flushed the downstairs toilet. When we
> bought the house, we had a huge gas boiler (as well as the showers)
> and water pressure was pretty constant. Now we have a condensing
> boiler, which is probably more efficient, but the water pressure is
> very variable. Such is progress.

oh, yes, mine has a low setting but I have used it once when it was 35C
ambient

> I did wonder whether we could have a dual system, where toilets flush
> off a header tank instead. Probably won't bother, though.

[sows seed]

collect your grey water for use in the bog

Re: HFM ?

<a4393d6b-79a5-4381-b3f2-b562d85aa74bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16510&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16510

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 03:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.eaton@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 10:28 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:28:44 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:

> collect your grey water for use in the bog

Unless you have some filthy bastard who pisses in the shower.

Paging Champ...

--
WUN

Re: HFM ?

<ketjteFcq98U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16511&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16511

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 14 Jun 2023 10:42:54 GMT
 by: jeremy - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 10:42 UTC

On 13 Jun 2023 at 09:00:29 BST, "Colin Irvine" <look@colinandpat.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12 Jun 2023 18:05:16 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I see nothing particularly remarkable about any of this.
>>
>> The main dealer labour rates I have been quoted this year are an eye-watering
>> ~£250/hr
>>
>> £100/hr for independents is, sadly, not an unreasonable rate.
>
> Ian Bell, our local Yamaha main dealer, is £60/hr.

Hmmm maybe I just see £100 as reasonable for non-franchise dealers because the
franchise dealer rate is just *so* expensive.

--
jeremy

Re: HFM ?

<ketlvcFcrpdU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16512&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16512

From: mike@tauzero.co.uk (Mike Fleming)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:18:04 +0100
 by: Mike Fleming - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 11:18 UTC

On 14/06/2023 11:28, WUN wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:28:44 AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>
>> collect your grey water for use in the bog
>
> Unless you have some filthy bastard who pisses in the shower.
>
> Paging Champ...

What's wrong with pissing in the shower? Er, asking for a friend.

Re: HFM ?

<fipj8ipdk7ku828bib658n1vbq609mkifg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16514&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16514

From: Ace@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 18:10:48 +0200
References: <u608t1$21a1g$1@dont-email.me> <7kudlj-5l4.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org> <u629jh$2bue1$1@dont-email.me> <kep52sFkttdU1@mid.individual.net> <kepa2hFlm3mU1@mid.individual.net> <u67svf$3748t$1@dont-email.me> <u680ne$37mfr$1@dont-email.me> <u6858e$389ed$1@dont-email.me> <u69dak$3i07t$1@dont-email.me> <ghnh8il3kqcnsea3pg326m032ttr90t7vr@4ax.com> <XnsB0234DD542BAwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170> <a4393d6b-79a5-4381-b3f2-b562d85aa74bn@googlegroups.com> <ketlvcFcrpdU2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Ace - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 16:10 UTC

On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:18:04 +0100, Mike Fleming <mike@tauzero.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 14/06/2023 11:28, WUN wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:28:44?AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>>
>>> collect your grey water for use in the bog
>>
>> Unless you have some filthy bastard who pisses in the shower.
>>
>> Paging Champ...
>
>What's wrong with pissing in the shower? Er, asking for a friend.

IIRC some women think their men are animals if they do this.

Or one, at least.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: HFM ?

<1ae6186f-8422-4f5e-a1fe-a7e75ef8941cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16517&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16517

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 15:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.eaton@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Wed, 14 Jun 2023 22:55 UTC

On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 5:10:50 PM UTC+1, Ace wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:18:04 +0100, Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >> Unless you have some filthy bastard who pisses in the shower.
> >>
> >> Paging Champ...
> >
> >What's wrong with pissing in the shower? Er, asking for a friend.
> IIRC some women think their men are animals if they do this.
>
> Or one, at least.

If you have a grey water recycling system it's really not a good idea.

--
WUN

Re: HFM ?

<0de343ab-a32e-4faa-9b49-91a5ee61ad20n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16519&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16519

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 02:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: eldaifo@gmail.com (ogden)
 by: ogden - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 09:35 UTC

WUN wrote:
> > Mike Fleming <mi...@tauzero.co.uk> wrote:

> > >What's wrong with pissing in the shower? Er, asking for a friend.
>
> If you have a grey water recycling system it's really not a good idea.

That'd be some heavily diluted piss, I'd have thought, so long as you're not letting a racehorse use the same shower.

Re: HFM ?

<n9km8il4nrdgj7frt2n4i5lhlrjl6k62om@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=16522&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#16522

From: pluscher@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2023 19:00:45 +0100
References: <u608t1$21a1g$1@dont-email.me> <7kudlj-5l4.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org> <u629jh$2bue1$1@dont-email.me> <kep52sFkttdU1@mid.individual.net> <kepa2hFlm3mU1@mid.individual.net> <u67svf$3748t$1@dont-email.me> <u680ne$37mfr$1@dont-email.me> <u6858e$389ed$1@dont-email.me> <u69dak$3i07t$1@dont-email.me> <ghnh8il3kqcnsea3pg326m032ttr90t7vr@4ax.com> <XnsB0234DD542BAwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170> <a4393d6b-79a5-4381-b3f2-b562d85aa74bn@googlegroups.com> <ketlvcFcrpdU2@mid.individual.net>
 by: Pipl - Thu, 15 Jun 2023 18:00 UTC

wrote:

>On 14/06/2023 11:28, WUN wrote:
>> On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 12:28:44?AM UTC+1, wessie wrote:
>>
>>> collect your grey water for use in the bog
>>
>> Unless you have some filthy bastard who pisses in the shower.
>>
>> Paging Champ...
>
>What's wrong with pissing in the shower? Er, asking for a friend.

I gather that urine and hard water react to form a kind of limescale.

When we bough the current house, the bath drained incredibly slowly. I
opened up the plumbing to have a look and found that the pipes were
literally over 2/3 blocked with limescale. It took some mechanical
hooking of "core samples" and a lot of limescale remover to clear the
pipes.

--

-Pip