"May your future be limited only by your dreams." -- Christa McAuliffe

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: Telephone operation

SubjectAuthor
* Telephone operationLiz Tuddenham
+* Re: Telephone operationChris Green
|+- Re: Telephone operationJMB99
|`* Re: Telephone operationNY
| `* Re: Telephone operationJMB99
|  `* Re: Telephone operationNY
|   `- Re: Telephone operationJMB99
+* Re: Telephone operationDavey
|`* Re: Telephone operationRupert Moss-Eccardt
| `- Re: Telephone operationDavey
+* Re: Telephone operationJMB99
|+- Re: Telephone operationWoody
|`- Re: Telephone operationWoody
+- Re: Telephone operationLaurence Taylor
+* Re: Telephone operationAdrian Caspersz
|+- Re: Telephone operationThe Natural Philosopher
|`- Re: Telephone operationDavey
`* Re: Telephone operationNY
 +- Re: Telephone operationJMB99
 +- Re: Telephone operationJMB99
 `* Re: Telephone operationRoger
  `* Re: Telephone operationSpike
   `* Re: Telephone operationCodger
    +* Re: Telephone operationNY
    |+- Re: Telephone operationJMB99
    |`* Re: Telephone operationTheo
    | `- Re: Telephone operationLiz Tuddenham
    `- Re: Telephone operationSpike

Pages:12
Re: Telephone operation

<-Yt*UrNwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1650&group=uk.telecom#1650

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: Telephone operation
Date: 01 Dec 2023 12:29:47 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:29 UTC

NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> Are there any countries which still use their own local phonetic
> alphabet (using words which are specific to their language) in
> preference to the international alpha, bravo, charlie alphabet?

I don't know, but other languages may have more distinguishable names for
letters. eg instead of Ayy Bee See Dee there's Alpha Beta Gamma Delta, so
it's harder to get Beta and Delta confused than Bee and Dee.

Theo

Re: Telephone operation

<1ql296h.g05ur71fghm1iN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1651&group=uk.telecom#1651

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:56:36 +0000
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 12:56 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> > Are there any countries which still use their own local phonetic
> > alphabet (using words which are specific to their language) in
> > preference to the international alpha, bravo, charlie alphabet?
>
> I don't know, but other languages may have more distinguishable names for
> letters. eg instead of Ayy Bee See Dee there's Alpha Beta Gamma Delta, so
> it's harder to get Beta and Delta confused than Bee and Dee.

During WWI the German phonetic alphabet was all first names - but they
were. of course, German first names.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Telephone operation

<ksuj28F8vrrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1652&group=uk.telecom#1652

From: aero.spike@btinternet.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: 1 Dec 2023 17:22:16 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:22 UTC

Codger <codger524@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2023 15:38:10 GMT, Spike <aero.spike@btinternet.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> The first alphabet I had to learn (as a GPO Continental
>>> operator) started Amsterdam, Baltimore, Casablanca, Denmark,
>>> Edison ... Yokohama. One didn't say the letter then the word,
>>> just the word.
>>>
>>> When I moved across to International the alphabet I had to
>>> learn was A Alfred, B Benjamin, C Charles, D David, E Edward
>>> ... Y Yellow.
>>>
>>> There you have two words for Y which were, at one time or
>>> another, official.
>>
>> Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog…X-ray, Yoke, Zebra gives another one for Y.
>> Possibilities from other alphabets include Yellow and Yorker.
>
> If you want to confuse non-English speakers, try these:
> https://nazmania.co.uk/2005/10/17/a-for-horses/

LOL!

--
Spike