Albrecht's Law: Social innovations tend to the level of minimum tolerable well-being.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / naughty Octopus?

SubjectAuthor
* naughty Octopus?Vicky
+* naughty Octopus?Serena Blanchflower
|+* naughty Octopus?Vicky
||`- naughty Octopus?Chris
|+* naughty Octopus?Chris
||`- naughty Octopus?Kate B
|`- naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
+* naughty Octopus?Chris
|`* naughty Octopus?Vicky
| `* naughty Octopus?BrritSki
|  `- naughty Octopus?Kate B
+* naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|`* naughty Octopus?Sam Plusnet
| +- naughty Octopus?Chris
| `* naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|  `* naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|   `* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|    `* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|     `* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?J. P. Gilliver
|      `* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Nick Odell
|       +* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?J. P. Gilliver
|       |`* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Jim Easterbrook
|       | `- Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|       +* Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Vicky
|       |`- Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
|       `- Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?Sam Plusnet
+- naughty Octopus?Steve Hague
+* naughty Octopus?Sam Plusnet
|+- naughty Octopus?J. P. Gilliver
|+* naughty Octopus?Philip Hole
||`- naughty Octopus?Vicky
|`* naughty Octopus?Mike McMillan
| `* naughty Octopus?J. P. Gilliver
|  `* naughty Octopus?Joe Kerr
|   `- naughty Octopus?Sam Plusnet
`- naughty Octopus?J. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
naughty Octopus?

<lc49gipad2kld98icf4519cs971uhi3sau@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17706&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17706

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: naughty Octopus?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:23:03 +0100
 by: Vicky - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:23 UTC

https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/

I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.

Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
service record of any power co.

And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?

I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue24v5$34nvm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17707&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17707

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: naughty Octopus?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:40:53 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:40 UTC

On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>
> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>
> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
> service record of any power co.
>
> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>
> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
to use electricity.

--
Best wishes, Serena
This is life, this is my life, and no matter what I do I can't go back

Re: naughty Octopus?

<epg9gi9inp7pr7ghud7di63q3fbqgmv7lo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17710&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17710

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 21:49:52 +0100
 by: Vicky - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 20:49 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:40:53 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>
>There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
>meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
>available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
>charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
>shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
>even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
>to use electricity.

Ah. Thank you, Serena. I still don't know if we'd be able to get one
now because the gas meter cover has not changed. And I don't want to
poke the tiger by asking just for that information.

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue3m6d$3mmih$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17711&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17711

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:aKoTkWws+2vfp9RESX52TtNddzM=
 by: Chris - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>
> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>
> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
> service record of any power co.
>
> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>
> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

With a smart meter you see what you’re using. Stop fart arsing about and
get one.

Mrs McT

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue3m6e$3mmih$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17712&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17712

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gmYKdLDRiEMgv07ugz+gCFcqqWE=
 by: Chris - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>
> There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
> meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
> available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
> charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
> shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
> even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
> to use electricity.

That’s us! Do it. And find out *exactly* why not this time. I’ve heard
of this refusal but not from an Octopus customer. It’s time this was made
known of millions of people will never be switched.

Mrs McT

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue3m6f$3mmih$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17713&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17713

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:slySQEUz946M7HXf2yKi4DGA0E0=
 by: Chris - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:40:53 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>>
>>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>>> service record of any power co.
>>>
>>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>>
>>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>
>> There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
>> meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
>> available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
>> charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
>> shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
>> even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
>> to use electricity.
>
> Ah. Thank you, Serena. I still don't know if we'd be able to get one
> now because the gas meter cover has not changed. And I don't want to
> poke the tiger by asking just for that information.

Octopus *are* approachable. They are pro green energy so it’s in their
interest.

Mrs McT

Re: naughty Octopus?

<g5pagihc73tiifq7537n88m90h6ncmqt15@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17714&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17714

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:22:34 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:22 UTC

On Sat, 16 Sep 2023 07:41:01 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>

>With a smart meter you see what you’re using. Stop fart arsing about and
>get one.
>
>Mrs McT

As I said initially, we probably can't get one. And my distrust in
the accounting practices of energy companies goes back many years,
over several companies, the first being British Gas in our first flat
in 1971, who tried to charge a very large amount for the 5 months we
were at sea, when no gas was used.

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue425n$3pu66$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17715&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17715

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:05:29 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yAM8vlvoAithQKYvvsqYnp5+UJY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:05 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>
> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>
> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
> service record of any power co.
>
> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>
> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

If you are able to use a smart meter fpr your electricity deman, you might
pay less by picking a time of use or an agile tariff and save - we
certainly do; by careful use of energy at the right times, savings can be
made.
--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue42ds$3pvit$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17716&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17716

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:09:48 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nLw+2og4+K30r+ibR3LHNzaNU4k=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:09 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>
> There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
> meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
> available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
> charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
> shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
> even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
> to use electricity.

Yes, we have taken advantage and helped them out with their ‘excess’ energy
a number of times; we have been known to ‘consume’ 10-15 kW/h where we were
paid anything up to 15 p per kW/h to use it! They refer to it as ‘Plunge
Pricing’.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: naughty Octopus?

<kmls44F5li6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17719&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17719

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:24:06 +0100
 by: Kate B - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 14:24 UTC

On 16/09/2023 08:41, Chris wrote:
> Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>> On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>>
>>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>>> service record of any power co.
>>>
>>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>>
>>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>
>> There's no difference, on their standard tariff, between smart and dumb
>> meters. They do, however, have a few other tariffs which are only
>> available to people with smart meters. These are tariffs which vary the
>> charge at different times of day so that, if you are willing/able to
>> shift your usage away from peak hours, may work out a lot cheaper. I've
>> even heard, on one of them, of occasional slots when they will pay you
>> to use electricity.
>>

> That’s us! Do it. And find out *exactly* why not this time. I’ve heard
> of this refusal but not from an Octopus customer. It’s time this was made
> known of millions of people will never be switched.
>
> Mrs McT
I have a smart meter now, at last - the one that was here when I moved
in stopped working shortly afterwards, and it turned out I needed not
only a new in-house display but new meters for gas and electricity to
make it all talk to itself and OVO.

The London house, though, couldn't have them at all: the gas meter was
on one side of the house in the basement, and the electric was also in
the basement, diametrically opposed with three solid walls and the
staircase between them, and surrounded by earth and various bits of
concrete. There wasn't the remotest hope of them being able to talk to
each other, let alone communicate with the outside world!

--
Kate B

Re: naughty Octopus?

<kmlutgF8qmmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17720&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17720

From: stevehague82@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 16:11:44 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 15:11 UTC

On 15/09/2023 18:23, Vicky wrote:
> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>
> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>
> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
> service record of any power co.
>
> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>
> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

I used to get regular emails from Ovo trying to persuade me that I
needed a smart meter. I had a look into the matter, and decided it would
be a good idea. I asked when they could they fit it and received an
email saying "This service is not available in your area"

Re: naughty Octopus?

<2umNM.43905$kx57.16706@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17722&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17722

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:29:16 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:29 UTC

On 16/09/2023 12:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>

> If you are able to use a smart meter fpr your electricity deman, you might
> pay less by picking a time of use or an agile tariff and save - we
> certainly do; by careful use of energy at the right times, savings can be
> made.

In the interests of balance...
I assume the corollary is also true.
i.e. If you need to consume energy at the 'wrong' times, you pay through
the nose for the privilege?

Re: naughty Octopus?

<SwmNM.43906$kx57.39304@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17723&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17723

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:32:16 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:32 UTC

On 17/09/2023 14:59, Penny wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
> in the dust...
>
>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>
>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>
>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>> service record of any power co.
>>
>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>
>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>
> I still don't understand what difference te sape of your box makes. Smart
> meters are tiny, compared to old analogue ones, surely there must be room
> for one? I wonder how much a new box would cost...

It's always possible that there was some entirely different reason why
the installers baulked.
"Wrong shaped box" sounds like a nice customer-friendly catch-all
excuse/reason.

Re: naughty Octopus?

<5Au6soCshfBlFwwd@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17724&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17724

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:48:12 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:48 UTC

In message <lc49gipad2kld98icf4519cs971uhi3sau@4ax.com> at Fri, 15 Sep
2023 18:23:03, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
[]
>I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..

I fail to see _how_ they can turn your power off if you have an
old-fashioned measuring-only meter - remotely, anyway; obviously they
can turn you off if they visit your premises.

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).

Re: naughty Octopus?

<lgm9kKDOlfBlFwxH@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17725&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17725

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:51:58 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:51 UTC

In message <SwmNM.43906$kx57.39304@fx08.ams1> at Sat, 16 Sep 2023
19:32:16, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes
>On 17/09/2023 14:59, Penny wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>> in the dust...
>>
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
[]
>> I still don't understand what difference te sape of your box makes.
>>Smart
>> meters are tiny, compared to old analogue ones, surely there must be room
>> for one? I wonder how much a new box would cost...
>
>It's always possible that there was some entirely different reason why
>the installers baulked.
>"Wrong shaped box" sounds like a nice customer-friendly catch-all
>excuse/reason.

I suspect it's where the meter(s) is/are more than X feet below the
ground surface (because from there they couldn't contact either each
other, the mobile network, or both), and describing the type of cover is
an easy way to determine, rather than having the customers measuring the
depth (and getting it wrong) - presumably all the meters of a certain
depth in a given area have the same cover (or enough of them for it to
be a reasonable ruse).

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue6tup$crk9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17729&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17729

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:11:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0EmsxIBDpzwn2PBE82dqaI4bf5I=
 by: Chris - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 13:11 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 16/09/2023 12:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>>
>>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>>> service record of any power co.
>>>
>>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>>
>>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>>

>> If you are able to use a smart meter fpr your electricity deman, you might
>> pay less by picking a time of use or an agile tariff and save - we
>> certainly do; by careful use of energy at the right times, savings can be
>> made.
>
> In the interests of balance...
> I assume the corollary is also true.
> i.e. If you need to consume energy at the 'wrong' times, you pay through
> the nose for the privilege?

Yes indeedy. It probably isn’t ideal if you’re only home at a narrow
number of hours daily with no chance to study the daily pricing structure
as McT does, but would help anyone doing 24 hr shifts for example.

Mrs McT

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue72ln$djoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17732&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17732

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:32:22 +0100
 by: Philip Hole - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:32 UTC

>> I still don't understand what difference te sape of your box makes. Smart
>> meters are tiny, compared to old analogue ones, surely there must be room
>> for one? I wonder how much a new box would cost...

https://www.bes.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=gas+meter+box

BUT...
Some of the boxes fit onto existing backplates

The backplate must be purchased separately

BES dont sell the backplate

Some boxes come with keys

the keys are redundant

if you can just lift off the cover.

But the best of luck.
--
Flop

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue72rd$dkm6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17733&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17733

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:35:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:U+/35+vWCn3kKqbdTj1lJ3UjFLU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:35 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 16/09/2023 12:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>>
>>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>>> service record of any power co.
>>>
>>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>>
>>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>>

>> If you are able to use a smart meter fpr your electricity deman, you might
>> pay less by picking a time of use or an agile tariff and save - we
>> certainly do; by careful use of energy at the right times, savings can be
>> made.
>
> In the interests of balance...
> I assume the corollary is also true.
> i.e. If you need to consume energy at the 'wrong' times, you pay through
> the nose for the privilege?

The main thing is to avoid ‘peak demand’ time which 16:00 to about 18:30,
as it would appear the world and his/her husband/wife are consuming gulps
of energy in the kitchen preparing their Vesta curries etc. Normally,
outside of this period, the rates are lower and the early hours of the
mornings (approx. 01;00 - 06:00 are the cheapest most days) are often the
cheapest. I do like it when they have plunge pricing - not that frequent
but worth knowing about; the rates can go negative whereby they pay the
consumer to use power!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue732j$dlqo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17734&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17734

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:39:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:B0q/aYlGLtUuT1rU32fR7Nnj3vc=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:39 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 17/09/2023 14:59, Penny wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:23:03 +0100, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>> in the dust...
>>
>>> https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meters-save-money/
>>>
>>> I wanted a smart meter for a few years before they were rolled out in
>>> my area and then when they came houses with the gas meter cover we
>>> have couldn't get them. And then Bulb made lots of mistakes with the
>>> bill, in fact never got it right, and I no longer trusted smart
>>> meters, and still couldn't have one anyway.
>>>
>>> Now we're with Octopus they nag me with every log in to get one. I
>>> don't know if I can now, as same gas meter cover, but I don't want
>>> one. We were puzzled by the bills and then got £150 credit as they
>>> said there'd been a mistaken one! And Octopus have the best customer
>>> service record of any power co.
>>>
>>> And today at login I saw this, which I think is new. As above. They
>>> really do want people to get them but do you pay less with one?
>>>
>>> I know you pay more with a pre-payment meter. I know they can turn
>>> your power off anyway, smart or ordinary meter. But still..
>>
>> I still don't understand what difference te sape of your box makes. Smart
>> meters are tiny, compared to old analogue ones, surely there must be room
>> for one? I wonder how much a new box would cost...
>
> It's always possible that there was some entirely different reason why
> the installers baulked.
> "Wrong shaped box" sounds like a nice customer-friendly catch-all
> excuse/reason.

Our gas meter was situated on an outside wall and the ‘box’ was made using
glass fibre so presumably no obstacle to those little radio waves allowing
them to escape and find their target somewhere. The electricity meter is
inside the house so I imagine the data signal is sent via the DNO’s
facilities - but I’m not sure.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue75ma$e4vm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17736&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17736

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:23:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ura9xHHSsewPScb3diCLTwfHiHs=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:23 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> If you are able to use a smart meter fpr your electricity deman, you might
>>> pay less by picking a time of use or an agile tariff and save - we
>>> certainly do; by careful use of energy at the right times, savings can be
>>> made.
>>
>> In the interests of balance...
>> I assume the corollary is also true.
>> i.e. If you need to consume energy at the 'wrong' times, you pay through
>> the nose for the privilege?
>>

> The main thing is to avoid ‘peak demand’ time which 16:00 to about 18:30,
> as it would appear the world and his/her husband/wife are consuming gulps
> of energy in the kitchen preparing their Vesta curries etc. Normally,
> outside of this period, the rates are lower and the early hours of the
> mornings (approx. 01;00 - 06:00 are the cheapest most days) are often the
> cheapest. I do like it when they have plunge pricing - not that frequent
> but worth knowing about; the rates can go negative whereby they pay the
> consumer to use power!

Just checked the Agile rates from OE for the tomorrow: The time to avoid
most is 18:30 - 19:00 tomorrow when the rate is 37.65 p. Per kW/h. The
cheapest time is 14:30-15:00 when it will be 5.6 p.per kW/h. If my solar PV
is low due to our lovely weather during the day, the battery may be
charging part of the day…

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: naughty Octopus?

<0h9egi5mkvv4t562cnpg6lag9rnam414a9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17739&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17739

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 17:18:54 +0100
 by: Vicky - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 16:18 UTC

On Sun, 17 Sep 2023 15:32:22 +0100, Philip Hole
<news@theholefamily.org> wrote:

>>> I still don't understand what difference te sape of your box makes. Smart
>>> meters are tiny, compared to old analogue ones, surely there must be room
>>> for one? I wonder how much a new box would cost...
>>

>https://www.bes.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=gas+meter+box
>
>BUT...
> Some of the boxes fit onto existing backplates
>
> The backplate must be purchased separately
>
> BES dont sell the backplate
>
> Some boxes come with keys
>
> the keys are redundant
>
> if you can just lift off the cover.
>
>But the best of luck.

I don't think our gas meter is like any shown. The electric one is in
the porch but the gas one is out front under the living room window.
That's apparently the one causes the problem and can't have a smart
meter. It's most like this but not upright. it is flat on the ground.

Re: naughty Octopus?

<pJvu+sKqw0BlFwip@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17741&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17741

Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2023 19:57:46 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 18:57 UTC

In message <ue732j$dlqo$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:39:15,
Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
[]
>Our gas meter was situated on an outside wall and the ‘box’ was made using
>glass fibre so presumably no obstacle to those little radio waves allowing
>them to escape and find their target somewhere. The electricity meter is
>inside the house so I imagine the data signal is sent via the DNO’s
>facilities - but I’m not sure.

My understanding is that the data signal is sent from the electricity
meter over the mobile network (not sure which one - maybe any it can get
a signal to?), and it sends both lots of data; the gas meter only talks
to the electric meter, not the network, and has no electric power of its
own, so has to do so from a battery, which I think is supposed to last
about 10 years. (Among other things, that's why the gas readout on the
little display is only updated - because the meter only communicates - a
lot less often [half hourly?] than the electric.)

Thinking about it, one household I manage might be due for a battery
replacement - I can't remember when it got a smart (though type 1)
meter, but quite a few years.

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013

Re: naughty Octopus?

<ue83eb$ji6h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17744&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17744

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 00:51:37 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 17 Sep 2023 23:51 UTC

On 17/09/2023 19:57, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <ue732j$dlqo$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 17 Sep 2023 14:39:15,
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes
> []
>> Our gas meter was situated on an outside wall and the ‘box’ was made
>> using
>> glass fibre so presumably no obstacle to those little radio waves
>> allowing
>> them to escape and find their target somewhere. The electricity meter is
>> inside the house so I imagine the data signal is sent via the DNO’s
>> facilities - but I’m not sure.
>>
> My understanding is that the data signal is sent from the electricity
> meter over the mobile network (not sure which one - maybe any it can get
> a signal to?), and it sends both lots of data; the gas meter only talks
> to the electric meter, not the network, and has no electric power of its
> own, so has to do so from a battery, which I think is supposed to last
> about 10 years. (Among other things, that's why the gas readout on the
> little display is only updated - because the meter only communicates - a
> lot less often [half hourly?] than the electric.)
>
> Thinking about it, one household I manage might be due for a battery
> replacement - I can't remember when it got a smart (though type 1)
> meter, but quite a few years.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the batteries are not
replaceable, so it is new (refurbished?) meter. All in the interests of
the environment of course.

--
Ric

Re: Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?

<ue9roe$1r4mb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17748&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17748

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:52:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Q+ijOSqdJjsNWw5D/Jcuj+U3F8Q=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:52 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> In the interests of balance...
>>> I assume the corollary is also true.
>>> i.e. If you need to consume energy at the 'wrong' times, you pay through
>>> the nose for the privilege?
>>>

>> The main thing is to avoid ‘peak demand’ time which 16:00 to about 18:30,
>> as it would appear the world and his/her husband/wife are consuming gulps
>> of energy in the kitchen preparing their Vesta curries etc. Normally,
>> outside of this period, the rates are lower and the early hours of the
>> mornings (approx. 01;00 - 06:00 are the cheapest most days) are often the
>> cheapest. I do like it when they have plunge pricing - not that frequent
>> but worth knowing about; the rates can go negative whereby they pay the
>> consumer to use power!
>>

> Just checked the Agile rates from OE for the tomorrow: The time to avoid
> most is 18:30 - 19:00 tomorrow when the rate is 37.65 p. Per kW/h. The
> cheapest time is 14:30-15:00 when it will be 5.6 p.per kW/h. If my solar PV
> is low due to our lovely weather during the day, the battery may be
> charging part of the day…

Thought somerRats might care to know that OE are willing to pay 3.93 pence
for every kW/h consumed between 00:30 and 01:00 tomorrow - there are a few
other times when plunge pricing applies tomorrow….

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Kind Octopus rather than naughty Octopus?

<ue9rt5$1r5j2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=17749&group=uk.media.radio.archers#17749

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:55:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Ll0jXfJm7tin5Vow0/DxFNOUTYo=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 18 Sep 2023 15:55 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> The main thing is to avoid ‘peak demand’ time which 16:00 to about 18:30,
>>> as it would appear the world and his/her husband/wife are consuming gulps
>>> of energy in the kitchen preparing their Vesta curries etc. Normally,
>>> outside of this period, the rates are lower and the early hours of the
>>> mornings (approx. 01;00 - 06:00 are the cheapest most days) are often the
>>> cheapest. I do like it when they have plunge pricing - not that frequent
>>> but worth knowing about; the rates can go negative whereby they pay the
>>> consumer to use power!
>>>

>> Just checked the Agile rates from OE for the tomorrow: The time to avoid
>> most is 18:30 - 19:00 tomorrow when the rate is 37.65 p. Per kW/h. The
>> cheapest time is 14:30-15:00 when it will be 5.6 p.per kW/h. If my solar PV
>> is low due to our lovely weather during the day, the battery may be
>> charging part of the day…
>>
> Thought somerRats might care to know that OE are willing to pay 3.93 pence
> for every kW/h consumed between 00:30 and 01:00 tomorrow - there are a few
> other times when plunge pricing applies tomorrow….

I should hasten to add that this is only applicable to thoseRats who are on
the Agile Tariff with Octopus Energy - guess who’s battery will be filling
up?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan