Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind. -- Mark Harrold

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Thunderbird 115 Supernova

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaKate B
+* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSam Plusnet
|`* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaNick Odell
| +- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSam Plusnet
| +* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaPenny
| |+* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaNick Odell
| ||`* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaMike McMillan
| || +* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaChris J Dixon
| || `- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJohn Ashby
| |`- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJ. P. Gilliver
| `* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaBrritSki
|  +- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSerena Blanchflower
|  +- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaChris
|  +- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJ. P. Gilliver
|  `* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaNick Odell
|   `* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaBrritSki
|    +- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSam Plusnet
|    `- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaNick Odell
+* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJenny M Benson
|`* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJane Vernon
| +* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJenny M Benson
| |`- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJ. P. Gilliver
| +* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJohn Ashby
| |`- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJoe Kerr
| `* Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSerena Blanchflower
|  `- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaJane Vernon
`- Thunderbird 115 SupernovaSerena Blanchflower

Pages:12
Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<kog4neFq2qtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18108&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18108

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Thunderbird 115 Supernova
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 17:46:40 +0100
 by: Kate B - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 16:46 UTC

Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?

Unpleasant surprise aside (I would have liked to have backed up
immediately before upgrading, for a start), it does seem faster and
relatively unscathed, except for two really annoying elements: you can
no longer set a folder to open in 'Unread' only, and seriously stupid is
that the invaluable 'Manually Sort Folders' add-on no longer works, so
all my sub folders are now in TB's order, which is useless and all over
the place, not even alphabetical. Curiously the email accounts
themselves are still in the order I put them, hopefully that survives.

I have added my request to the gigantic queue of complaints for Manually
Sort Folders to be redeveloped, and apparently one of the guys who
created it originally is going to do it at some point. But he wasn't
consulted and never told about the 'upgrade', even though it's the most
popular add-on, so understandably seems a bit miffed.

--
Kate B

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<M1DUM.59069$2fS.523@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18112&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18112

Subject: Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 19:03 UTC

On 08-Oct-23 17:46, Kate B wrote:

> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
> righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?
>
> Unpleasant surprise aside (I would have liked to have backed up
> immediately before upgrading, for a start), it does seem faster and
> relatively unscathed, except for two really annoying elements: you can
> no longer set a folder to open in 'Unread' only, and seriously stupid is
> that the invaluable 'Manually Sort Folders' add-on no longer works, so
> all my sub folders are now in TB's order, which is useless and all over
> the place, not even alphabetical. Curiously the email accounts
> themselves are still in the order I put them, hopefully that survives.
>
> I have added my request to the gigantic queue of complaints for Manually
> Sort Folders to be redeveloped, and apparently one of the guys who
> created it originally is going to do it at some point. But he wasn't
> consulted and never told about the 'upgrade', even though it's the most
> popular add-on, so understandably seems a bit miffed.

I'm still on v 102.15.1.
I am being 'encouraged' to take 115, and 'they' will probably foist it
on me at some point when I'm not looking.

I'm at the point where every software update[1] seems to be designed to
break things, and introduce utterly useless twiddly bits.

[1] "Opera One" being the most prominent example.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<koido5F6coiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18124&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18124

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2023 14:32:52 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 13:32 UTC

On 08/10/2023 17:46, Kate B wrote:

> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
> righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?

Not quite "without notice" because when I went to check which version I
had yesterday it said "Re-start to update", which I didn't do
immediately but got Supernova'd when I fired up this morning.

An odd thing: In the News section there is a sub-folder under Archers
which is named "drome" and has one message in it, one about Octopus from
Jpeg on 18 Sept. Don't know how or why it got there. I've never had
sub-folders under News and goodness knows why "drome".
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<2fv8iilo6bpgo7ddc84jc033avjt9jqmtm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18133&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18133

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 23:34:16 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 22:34 UTC

On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 08-Oct-23 17:46, Kate B wrote:
>>
>> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
>> righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
>> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?
>>
>> Unpleasant surprise aside (I would have liked to have backed up
>> immediately before upgrading, for a start), it does seem faster and
>> relatively unscathed, except for two really annoying elements: you can
>> no longer set a folder to open in 'Unread' only, and seriously stupid is
>> that the invaluable 'Manually Sort Folders' add-on no longer works, so
>> all my sub folders are now in TB's order, which is useless and all over
>> the place, not even alphabetical. Curiously the email accounts
>> themselves are still in the order I put them, hopefully that survives.
>>
>> I have added my request to the gigantic queue of complaints for Manually
>> Sort Folders to be redeveloped, and apparently one of the guys who
>> created it originally is going to do it at some point. But he wasn't
>> consulted and never told about the 'upgrade', even though it's the most
>> popular add-on, so understandably seems a bit miffed.
>>

>I'm still on v 102.15.1.
>I am being 'encouraged' to take 115, and 'they' will probably foist it
>on me at some point when I'm not looking.

I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
a copy of Thunderbird Portable and it never attempts to update itself
without notice. I don't use it very often so I haven't much advice to
offer about its use, just about its unupdatability. Current version
(which I am not yet using) came out, I think, around April this year
so should predate these fatal changes.

>I'm at the point where every software update[1] seems to be designed to
>break things, and introduce utterly useless twiddly bits.
>
>[1] "Opera One" being the most prominent example.

My copy of Opera stopped updating before it jumped to Opera One, Is
Opera One a Windows 10/11 only product? I'm still using Win 8.1

Nick

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<mKgVM.10838$6Z79.10274@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18140&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18140

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:29:37 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:29 UTC

On 09-Oct-23 23:34, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08-Oct-23 17:46, Kate B wrote:
>>>
>>> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
>>> righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
>>> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?
>>>
>>> Unpleasant surprise aside (I would have liked to have backed up
>>> immediately before upgrading, for a start), it does seem faster and
>>> relatively unscathed, except for two really annoying elements: you can
>>> no longer set a folder to open in 'Unread' only, and seriously stupid is
>>> that the invaluable 'Manually Sort Folders' add-on no longer works, so
>>> all my sub folders are now in TB's order, which is useless and all over
>>> the place, not even alphabetical. Curiously the email accounts
>>> themselves are still in the order I put them, hopefully that survives.
>>>
>>> I have added my request to the gigantic queue of complaints for Manually
>>> Sort Folders to be redeveloped, and apparently one of the guys who
>>> created it originally is going to do it at some point. But he wasn't
>>> consulted and never told about the 'upgrade', even though it's the most
>>> popular add-on, so understandably seems a bit miffed.
>>>

>> I'm still on v 102.15.1.
>> I am being 'encouraged' to take 115, and 'they' will probably foist it
>> on me at some point when I'm not looking.
>>
> I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
> a copy of Thunderbird Portable and it never attempts to update itself
> without notice. I don't use it very often so I haven't much advice to
> offer about its use, just about its unupdatability. Current version
> (which I am not yet using) came out, I think, around April this year
> so should predate these fatal changes.
>
>> I'm at the point where every software update[1] seems to be designed to
>> break things, and introduce utterly useless twiddly bits.
>>
>> [1] "Opera One" being the most prominent example.
>
> My copy of Opera stopped updating before it jumped to Opera One, Is
> Opera One a Windows 10/11 only product? I'm still using Win 8.1

I don't know, but all PCs in this household (all Win10) were 'upgraded'
to Opera One without any by-your-leave, and all the changes I have
encountered have ranged from minor irritations to
"Why the $%^&ing %^&* have they done such a %^&*ing thing!"

I'm sure there are some 'splendid' new features - but I neither want nor
need them, so I haven't looked.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<kon3f7F5agkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18141&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18141

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:08:09 +0100
 by: Jane Vernon - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:08 UTC

On 09/10/2023 14:32, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 08/10/2023 17:46, Kate B wrote:
>>
>> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion
>> of righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
>> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?
>
> Not quite "without notice" because when I went to check which version I
> had yesterday it said "Re-start to update", which I didn't do
> immediately but got Supernova'd when I fired up this morning.
>
> An odd thing: In the News section there is a sub-folder under Archers
> which is named "drome" and has one message in it, one about Octopus from
> Jpeg on 18 Sept.  Don't know how or why it got there.  I've never had
> sub-folders under News and goodness knows why "drome".

I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the right
place. However, I can no longer find where I used to be able to choose
"mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by date". Any ideas?

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<kon4c4F5n0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18142&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18142

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:23:31 +0100
 by: Jenny M Benson - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:23 UTC

On 11/10/2023 09:08, Jane Vernon wrote:

> I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the right
> place.  However, I can no longer find where I used to be able to choose
> "mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by date".  Any ideas?

I have Mark on the Message menu on the main menu bar at the top of the
screen.

From the menu bar I have View>Toolbars>Menu Bar selected, but if you
don't have the menu bar showing, I don't know how you get to select to
show it.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<Ppmze7bzNmJlFwkl@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18143&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18143

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:57:23 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:57 UTC

In message <kon4c4F5n0bU1@mid.individual.net> at Wed, 11 Oct 2023
09:23:31, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>On 11/10/2023 09:08, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the

What version number are you both using (I don't currently run
Thunderbird, but most software Help | About will tell you)? That
_should_ tell you if you've been updated, I think.

>>right place.  However, I can no longer find where I used to be able
>>to choose "mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by
>>date".  Any ideas?
>

>I have Mark on the Message menu on the main menu bar at the top of the
>screen.
>
>From the menu bar I have View>Toolbars>Menu Bar selected, but if you
>don't have the menu bar showing, I don't know how you get to select to
>show it.

In some cases, pressing the Alt key will make something appear; failing
that, Alt-V (for view). Not always.

Such not-showing-by-default is an IMO irritating change that came in
more or less with Windows 7, with many softwares adding it. I've no idea
why: all I can think of is they have some weird idea that it makes the
view look "cleaner", or something like that.

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug5shd$1oufn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18145&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18145

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 11:14:05 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:14 UTC

On 11/10/2023 09:08, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 09/10/2023 14:32, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 08/10/2023 17:46, Kate B wrote:
>>>
>>> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion
>>> of righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
>>> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?
>>
>> Not quite "without notice" because when I went to check which version
>> I had yesterday it said "Re-start to update", which I didn't do
>> immediately but got Supernova'd when I fired up this morning.
>>
>> An odd thing: In the News section there is a sub-folder under Archers
>> which is named "drome" and has one message in it, one about Octopus
>> from Jpeg on 18 Sept.  Don't know how or why it got there.  I've never
>> had sub-folders under News and goodness knows why "drome".
>
> I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the right
> place.  However, I can no longer find where I used to be able to choose
> "mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by date".  Any ideas?

If you have the menubar visible (File Edit, View, etc) it's under
Message->Mark

If you don't have the menubar visible it can be made visible with the
three bars -> View -> Toolbars

Hope that helps,

john

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<jn9dii9g7pgld9c0ptqvdtm2g2hgnf726j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18146&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18146

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:54:27 +0100
 by: Penny - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 13:54 UTC

On Mon, 09 Oct 2023 23:34:16 +0100, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
scrawled in the dust...

>On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
>a copy of Thunderbird Portable and it never attempts to update itself
>without notice. I don't use it very often so I haven't much advice to
>offer about its use, just about its unupdatability. Current version
>(which I am not yet using) came out, I think, around April this year
>so should predate these fatal changes.
>
>>I'm at the point where every software update[1] seems to be designed to
>>break things, and introduce utterly useless twiddly bits.
>>
>>[1] "Opera One" being the most prominent example.
>
>My copy of Opera stopped updating before it jumped to Opera One, Is
>Opera One a Windows 10/11 only product? I'm still using Win 8.1

I always liked Opera in its early days, maybe up to v10. These days it as
become impossible to work on, as it crashes all the time. All the recent
updates seem to have done to solve the problem is to get it to relaunch
itself, rather than looking for the cause. Now and then it gets better,
then the next update breaks it again. I thought adding RAM might help, but
my ex-university PC has a lock - an actual Yale keyhole on the opening
slide on the back - and I have no key.

Windoze tells me I can't upgrade to Win11 as I'm 32 bit and need to be 64.
I'm lost on that front - what will it mean for all my saved data?
I suppose I must buy a new PC.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug6bt9$1sil0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18150&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18150

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:36:23 +0100
 by: Joe Kerr - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:36 UTC

On 11/10/2023 11:14, John Ashby wrote:

<snip regarding Thunderbird>

> If you have the menubar visible (File Edit, View, etc) it's under
> Message->Mark
>
> If you don't have the menubar visible it can be made visible with the
> three bars -> View -> Toolbars
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> john

I just wanted to make a comment regarding the three bars that have been
mentioned quite a bit recently. While it may sound like a pub or some
weird Goldilocks/Bo Peep confusion it is normally known as a hamburger.

--
Ric

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<o3cdiitqhf1ms8141f31do3ecdr9okuoi0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18151&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18151

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:51:53 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:51 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:54:27 +0100, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 09 Oct 2023 23:34:16 +0100, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
>>a copy of Thunderbird Portable and it never attempts to update itself
>>without notice. I don't use it very often so I haven't much advice to
>>offer about its use, just about its unupdatability. Current version
>>(which I am not yet using) came out, I think, around April this year
>>so should predate these fatal changes.
>>
>>>I'm at the point where every software update[1] seems to be designed to
>>>break things, and introduce utterly useless twiddly bits.
>>>
>>>[1] "Opera One" being the most prominent example.
>>
>>My copy of Opera stopped updating before it jumped to Opera One, Is
>>Opera One a Windows 10/11 only product? I'm still using Win 8.1
>
>I always liked Opera in its early days, maybe up to v10. These days it as
>become impossible to work on, as it crashes all the time. All the recent
>updates seem to have done to solve the problem is to get it to relaunch
>itself, rather than looking for the cause. Now and then it gets better,
>then the next update breaks it again. I thought adding RAM might help, but
>my ex-university PC has a lock - an actual Yale keyhole on the opening
>slide on the back - and I have no key.
>
>Windoze tells me I can't upgrade to Win11 as I'm 32 bit and need to be 64.
>I'm lost on that front - what will it mean for all my saved data?
>I suppose I must buy a new PC.

Your friendly neighbourhood burglar will probably be able to tell you
how to open your PC case but I'm afraid that lock will never work
again afterwards.

Your saved data should be fine - if it's saved somewhere else. Or
indeed, even if it's not saved somewhere else though I think
transferring it might be a little more tricky in that case.

I grandfather my data backups to two big[1] external HDDs and since I
literally copy my data from one place and store it in another (no
intermediate backup software is involved) it's very easy for me to
transfer the data to some other computer instead.

Nick
[1]They were boodily enormous when I bought them. Now they are just
ordinary.

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug6fk0$1te8s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18152&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18152

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:39:44 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yh5dKHBgTbMDCZn53XS14gqiQlc=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:39 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 14:54:27 +0100, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2023 23:34:16 +0100, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> On Sun, 8 Oct 2023 20:03:08 +0100, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
>>> a copy of Thunderbird Portable and it never attempts to update itself
>>> without notice. I don't use it very often so I haven't much advice to
>>> offer about its use, just about its unupdatability. Current version
>>> (which I am not yet using) came out, I think, around April this year
>>> so should predate these fatal changes.

>>> My copy of Opera stopped updating before it jumped to Opera One, Is
>>> Opera One a Windows 10/11 only product? I'm still using Win 8.1
>>
>> I always liked Opera in its early days, maybe up to v10. These days it as
>> become impossible to work on, as it crashes all the time. All the recent
>> updates seem to have done to solve the problem is to get it to relaunch
>> itself, rather than looking for the cause. Now and then it gets better,
>> then the next update breaks it again. I thought adding RAM might help, but
>> my ex-university PC has a lock - an actual Yale keyhole on the opening
>> slide on the back - and I have no key.
>>
>> Windoze tells me I can't upgrade to Win11 as I'm 32 bit and need to be 64.
>> I'm lost on that front - what will it mean for all my saved data?
>> I suppose I must buy a new PC.
>
> Your friendly neighbourhood burglar will probably be able to tell you
> how to open your PC case but I'm afraid that lock will never work
> again afterwards.
>
> Your saved data should be fine - if it's saved somewhere else. Or
> indeed, even if it's not saved somewhere else though I think
> transferring it might be a little more tricky in that case.
>
> I grandfather my data backups to two big[1] external HDDs and since I
> literally copy my data from one place and store it in another (no
> intermediate backup software is involved) it's very easy for me to
> transfer the data to some other computer instead.
>
> Nick
> [1]They were boodily enormous when I bought them. Now they are just
> ordinary.

Must have been mid to late 80’s when I bought a 3 gigabyte IBM HD for
storing audio files on an editing system - cost me over £2,000 at that
time! When the drive failed a few years on, I decided that IBM stood for
‘It’s Nuggered Mate!’.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug6gl6$1ohdv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18154&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18154

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:57:26 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:57 UTC

On 08/10/2023 17:46, Kate B wrote:

> Supernova apparently refers to the new version, not to the explosion of
> righteous indignation from faithful TBers surprised with it this
> morning. Has anyone else been upgraded without notice?

Yes, I was :(

> Unpleasant surprise aside (I would have liked to have backed up
> immediately before upgrading, for a start), it does seem faster and
> relatively unscathed, except for two really annoying elements: you can
> no longer set a folder to open in 'Unread' only, and seriously stupid is
> that the invaluable 'Manually Sort Folders' add-on no longer works, so
> all my sub folders are now in TB's order, which is useless and all over
> the place, not even alphabetical. Curiously the email accounts
> themselves are still in the order I put them, hopefully that survives.

I haven't really noticed any improvements over previous versions but
share your irritation over it not remembering that there are several
folders I generally prefer to see "unread" only. They also seem to have
done something to the fonts they use, which makes it look really clunky.

--
Best wishes, Serena
"Drag your thoughts away from your troubles - by the ears, by the heels,

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<dogdiith3loo6bb4mc1t8uck4qb62fmm1k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18155&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18155

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:59:28 +0100
 by: Chris J Dixon - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 15:59 UTC

Mike McMillan wrote:

>Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>> I grandfather my data backups to two big[1] external HDDs and since I
>> literally copy my data from one place and store it in another (no
>> intermediate backup software is involved) it's very easy for me to
>> transfer the data to some other computer instead.
>>
>> Nick
>> [1]They were boodily enormous when I bought them. Now they are just
>> ordinary.
>>

>Must have been mid to late 80’s when I bought a 3 gigabyte IBM HD for
>storing audio files on an editing system - cost me over £2,000 at that
>time! When the drive failed a few years on, I decided that IBM stood for
>‘It’s Nuggered Mate!’.

On my first PC I used tape backup, but the drives all failed (and
were replaced FOC) after 6 months of light domestic use,
rendering irretrievable anything on the tape it failed with.

The failure mode appeared to leave it trying fruitlessly to do
some sort of error recovery, but it just spent hours shuffling
the tape to and fro, until I had to put it out of its misery.

After the fourth, which was a completely new design, I lost all
faith in a backup system which was far less reliable than the
system it was supposedly protecting.

My next system used what was then the rather expensive DVD-RAM,
whose drive required a SCSI interface card. Though it worked
well, at a time when its capacity was (just) sufficient.

With external HDDs, a spare internal one,(plus nowadays a NAS)
after years of fighting Acronis (which I moved to when Ghost gave
repeated BSOD) I finally found Macrium reflect, which, (touch
wood) does the business.

Plus OneDrive, just in case.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug6gre$1ohdv$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18156&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18156

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:00:45 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:00 UTC

On 11/10/2023 09:08, Jane Vernon wrote:
> I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the right
> place.  However, I can no longer find where I used to be able to choose
> "mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by date".  Any ideas?

I have been updated but that still seems to be working the same as
before. I generally right click on the relevant message and select from
the options under "Mark".

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What do pixies and elves do after school?

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ug6hj9$1tpoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18159&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18159

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 17:13:28 +0100
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:13 UTC

On 11/10/2023 16:39, Mike McMillan wrote:

> Must have been mid to late 80’s when I bought a 3 gigabyte IBM HD for
> storing audio files on an editing system - cost me over £2,000 at that
> time! When the drive failed a few years on, I decided that IBM stood for
> ‘It’s Nuggered Mate!’.

At about the same time, or perhaps slightly earlier it was claimed that
in the IBM 3xx series of machines the number stood for the expected
percentage profit.

OTOH the ICL1900 series were numbered for the year the hardware became
obsolete and the 2900 seried for the year the operating system was
expected to work.

john

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ntv5PhoXTuJlFwhK@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18163&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18163

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 19:09:27 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 18:09 UTC

In message <jn9dii9g7pgld9c0ptqvdtm2g2hgnf726j@4ax.com> at Wed, 11 Oct
2023 14:54:27, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
[]
>then the next update breaks it again. I thought adding RAM might help, but
>my ex-university PC has a lock - an actual Yale keyhole on the opening
>slide on the back - and I have no key.

On the basis that the resale value of PCs is negligible, go at the case
or lock with whatever tools work: hacksaw, tinsnips, and so on. Yes,
adding more RAM often gives new life to an old PC - assuming you can
actually get the right RAM. Note that a 32-bit operating system can only
address 4G or less of RAM, though.

>Windoze tells me I can't upgrade to Win11 as I'm 32 bit and need to be 64.
>I'm lost on that front - what will it mean for all my saved data?
>I suppose I must buy a new PC.

Your present one is probably not capable of running 11 anyway (it might
just be able to walk it, but not really run it).

Each to his own: I've never seen anything about 10 (which I _have_ used)
that tempts me to move to it (I'm on 7, 32 bit), so I haven't - I
haven't even looked at 11.

If you do move to a 64 bit OS (and new PC), it should still be able to
use all your saved data. Physically transferring it should be simple
enough, using whatever means you choose - memory sticks or external hard
drive are trivial, assuming your present PC is still working (which it
obviously is at the moment); presumably you're using something like that
to back it up anyway (and would continue to do so when using the new
machine). External hard drive, being bigger, will be less hassle as
you'll have to do it in fewer goes (probably one). Fastest - but most
complicated - would be via ethernet cable.

If you _can_ run a new OS on your existing machine, then - and depending
what hard discs you have in it, and how you do the upgrade - then _in
theory_ your saved data can stay where it is; however, I wouldn't rely
on that, i. e. I'd back it up to something external first.

If the question was purely "can a 64-bit system access and use data
stored by a 32-bit system", then the answer is definitely yes. Just back
it up somewhere.

Air conditioned environment - Do not open Windows.

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<rqvfii1tdp6u9ut0mt1c158ko8u5ecn1ca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18178&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18178

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:19:03 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 14:19 UTC

On Wed, 11 Oct 2023 16:59:28 +0100, Chris J Dixon <chris@cdixon.me.uk>
wrote:

>Mike McMillan wrote:
>
>>Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>>> I grandfather my data backups to two big[1] external HDDs and since I
>>> literally copy my data from one place and store it in another (no
>>> intermediate backup software is involved) it's very easy for me to
>>> transfer the data to some other computer instead.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> [1]They were boodily enormous when I bought them. Now they are just
>>> ordinary.
>>>

>>Must have been mid to late 80’s when I bought a 3 gigabyte IBM HD for
>>storing audio files on an editing system - cost me over £2,000 at that
>>time! When the drive failed a few years on, I decided that IBM stood for
>>‘It’s Nuggered Mate!’.
>
>On my first PC I used tape backup, but the drives all failed (and
>were replaced FOC) after 6 months of light domestic use,
>rendering irretrievable anything on the tape it failed with.
>
>The failure mode appeared to leave it trying fruitlessly to do
>some sort of error recovery, but it just spent hours shuffling
>the tape to and fro, until I had to put it out of its misery.
>
>After the fourth, which was a completely new design, I lost all
>faith in a backup system which was far less reliable than the
>system it was supposedly protecting.
>
>My next system used what was then the rather expensive DVD-RAM,
>whose drive required a SCSI interface card. Though it worked
>well, at a time when its capacity was (just) sufficient.
>
>With external HDDs, a spare internal one,(plus nowadays a NAS)
>after years of fighting Acronis (which I moved to when Ghost gave
>repeated BSOD) I finally found Macrium reflect, which, (touch
>wood) does the business.
>
>Plus OneDrive, just in case.

A friend of mine decided that the simplest, easiest way to be sure of
holding onto his data was to implement a RAID system. His cabinet had,
I can't remember - 7,8,9 discs? so there was masses of redundancy
built in. If a disc failed then the data would still be available,
several times over, split between the remaining discs.

Then his house was struck by lightning.

Nick

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<kosl2oF6kdcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18197&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18197

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:39:22 +0100
 by: Jane Vernon - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:39 UTC

On 11/10/2023 17:00, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 09:08, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> I'm not sure I've been updated as my email folders are all in the
>> right place.  However, I can no longer find where I used to be able to
>> choose "mark all read", "mark thread read" and "mark read by date".
>> Any ideas?
>
> I have been updated but that still seems to be working the same as
> before.  I generally right click on the relevant message and select from
> the options under "Mark".

Hurray! That works. I'm afraid all the other suggestions didn't.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<kovnlgFopukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18221&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18221

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:41:52 +0100
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:41 UTC

On 09/10/2023 23:34, Nick Odell wrote:

> I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
> a copy of Thunderbird Portable

Yes please. Reply to address is good.

Not sure we will be very portable for a while though - we were away [1]
last week and our car as parked in Lutin AIrport carpark 2, Level 3
where the fire broke out :(
No news yet on whether vehicle is a write off or OK and if so is it
recoverable after the collapse ? We suspect a write off.

[1] A visit to an old friend to give her a bit of support as her son has
been in hospital recently. It was a lovely stay, weather perfect, sea
refreshing, no wind, plenty of rosé, seafood, scrabble and laughter.

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ugeame$3p5pb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18222&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18222

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:04:45 +0100
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:04 UTC

On 14/10/2023 15:41, BrritSki wrote:

> Not sure we will be very portable for a while though - we were away [1]
> last week and our car as parked in Lutin AIrport carpark 2, Level 3
> where the fire broke out 🙁
> No news yet on whether vehicle is a write off or OK and if so is it
> recoverable after the collapse ?  We suspect a write off.

Oh, nugger! I hope that you aren't kept waiting for too long, both for
definite news of your car's fate and, if as you suspect, it is now an
ex-car, for your insurance to do the necessary.

> [1] A visit to an old friend to give her a bit of support as her son has
> been in hospital recently. It was a lovely stay, weather perfect, sea
> refreshing, no wind, plenty of rosé, seafood, scrabble and laughter.

I'm glad that part of your trip was enjoyable, at least.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Have no fear of perfection - you will never achieve it! (Salvador Dali)

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<ugevla$255a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18225&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18225

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:02:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yKLDuTZTfl8l7lKCJKn+fgu3wGc=
 by: Chris - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:02 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/10/2023 23:34, Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>> I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
>> a copy of Thunderbird Portable
>
> Yes please. Reply to address is good.
>
> Not sure we will be very portable for a while though - we were away [1]
> last week and our car as parked in Lutin AIrport carpark 2, Level 3
> where the fire broke out :(
> No news yet on whether vehicle is a write off or OK and if so is it
> recoverable after the collapse ? We suspect a write off.
>
> [1] A visit to an old friend to give her a bit of support as her son has
> been in hospital recently. It was a lovely stay, weather perfect, sea
> refreshing, no wind, plenty of rosé, seafood, scrabble and laughter.

*Nugger*

Mrs McT

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<YIWmWDF80wKlFw9$@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18227&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18227

Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 22:50:52 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 21:50 UTC

In message <kovnlgFopukU1@mid.individual.net> at Sat, 14 Oct 2023
15:41:52, BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> writes
[]
>Not sure we will be very portable for a while though - we were away [1]
>last week and our car as parked in Lutin AIrport carpark 2, Level 3
>where the fire broke out :(
>No news yet on whether vehicle is a write off or OK and if so is it
>recoverable after the collapse ? We suspect a write off.
[]
Nugger, as others have said. (Hope there wasn't anything too important
_in_ it, too.)

Occurs to me (sorry if you've already tried this) - if having difficulty
finding out, maybe ask your insurance company anyway? It occurs to me
that maybe the insurance industry have been given a list.

Fortunately radio is a forgiving medium. It hides a multitude of chins ...
Vanessa feltz, RT 2014-3/28-4/4

Re: Thunderbird 115 Supernova

<mpvnii57r49l9dshdlc3jq9bc9n7tn96gl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18231&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18231

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:14:03 +0100
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:14 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:41:52 +0100, BrritSki
<rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 09/10/2023 23:34, Nick Odell wrote:
>>
>> I'm not certain this will be of use to users of Thunderbird but I have
>> a copy of Thunderbird Portable
>
>Yes please. Reply to address is good.

Mine is version 45 from about ten years ago but I'd happily stick it
on a CD and post you a copy if you like. It's designed to be run from
a memory stick rather than loaded onto the computer.

Current version is 115-something and downloadable from Portable Apps
<https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable?utm_content=cmp-true>
if you'd prefer that. As I said, I believe it pre-dates the recent
drastic changes

>Not sure we will be very portable for a while though - we were away [1]
>last week and our car as parked in Lutin AIrport carpark 2, Level 3
>where the fire broke out :(
>No news yet on whether vehicle is a write off or OK and if so is it
>recoverable after the collapse ? We suspect a write off.

Sanglant Enfer! As they don't say in France.

Whilst it's likely that most car owners were well away from there at
the time of the blaze (something about the nature of airport car
parks) it's jolly reassuring to know that you weren't in harm's way.

Hope the insurance business goes through smoothly.

Nick