<wiggy> in a stunning new move I actually tested this upload

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

SubjectAuthor
* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn CloseSerena Blanchflower
+* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal AVicky
> [...]
||  |   |`- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal AVicky
||  |   `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil RobWenlock
||  `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennIain Archer
|`* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennSerena Blanchflower
| `* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennJim Easterbrook
|  +* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennSerena Blanchflower
|  |`- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennJim Easterbrook
|  `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennJohn Ashby
+* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal AJ. P. Gilliver
|`- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal ANick Odell
+* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenncarolet
|`* Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling GlennSerena Blanchflower
| `- Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal ANick Odell
`- Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in FatChris Morgan

Pages:123
Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uid1m8$ucob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18557&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18557

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close
in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57 UTC

Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
death bed – just when we thought we were safe

<https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,

aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
--
Best wishes, Serena
You meet saints everywhere. They can be anywhere. They are people

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<9i8kki12akdu16prubugh20u9ipdtru41r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18560&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18560

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 11:50:42 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:50 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>
><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>
>aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>

' As the refurbishment of the hotel span out of his control, he '
really? Span?

I like Ed and Eddie and am currently reading the synopses on the BBC
site, not listening, but fb folk seem to be reporting that they
challenged Oliver quite aggressively. I don't like to think of two
younger, stronger men accosting an elderly man in any way
unpleasantly. Also as he lives with Eddie and Clarrieit would make it
uncomfortable for him, and might lead to their being asked to leave,

Having complained about Ms Higgins' grammar I'm now worried about
their or them in that last sentence.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<dDaJG5D5NiSlFw91@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18561&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18561

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:46:01 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:46 UTC

In message <uid1m8$ucob$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28,
Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes

>Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>
><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-
>on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>

(I wish the Grauniad would take a 50p donation - I might give one
sometimes.)

I object to "“He’s playing you, Alan,” hissed the vicar’s more
intelligent wife, Usha." Not to denigrate Usha's intelligence, but Alan
had no choice: if we assume he has the faith his profession implies, he
_has_ to give the benefit of the doubt - even to the extent that I was
surprised at his honesty to Rob (I think he more or less did say "I
don't believe you" at one point) - and regardless of his own faith, I
suspect he's under obligation to, as part of his job (what the bishop
might say/do).

The web is a blank slate; you can't design technology that is 'good'. You can't
design paper that you can only write good things on. There are no good or evil
tools. You can put an engine in an ambulance or a tank. - Sir Tim Berners-Lee,
Radio Times 2009-Jan-30 to -Feb-5.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kqupg5F2dg2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18562&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18562

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:39:33 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 12:39 UTC

On 07/11/2023 11:50, Vicky wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>

>> Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>> death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>>
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>>
>> aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
>

> ' As the refurbishment of the hotel span out of his control, he'
> really? Span?

Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<0sgkki9t45b387vu3hlpouq9aiku22lgbm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18564&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18564

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 14:09:35 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:09 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 11:46:01 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
wrote:

>In message <uid1m8$ucob$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28,
>Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> writes
>>
>>Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>>death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>>
>><https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-
>>on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>>aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
>
>(I wish the Grauniad would take a 50p donation - I might give one
>sometimes.)

If you were to save up all the times when you feel you might like to
make a 50p donation, you could make a one-off £5 donation instead.

>I object to "“He’s playing you, Alan,” hissed the vicar’s more
>intelligent wife, Usha." Not to denigrate Usha's intelligence, but Alan
>had no choice: if we assume he has the faith his profession implies, he
>_has_ to give the benefit of the doubt - even to the extent that I was
>surprised at his honesty to Rob (I think he more or less did say "I
>don't believe you" at one point) - and regardless of his own faith, I
>suspect he's under obligation to, as part of his job (what the bishop
>might say/do).

Ahem. Alan's been at the vicaring long enough that he really ought to
know that he does have a choice. Just take one example, The Sermon on
the Mount. It's not all about Greeks and Cheesemakers: there's a whole
section (Matt ch7 v15-ish onwards) which warns about people who aren't
all that they seem. It's a tough call to make, I agree. But it is his
call to make.

Nick

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uidh8v$ucob$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18565&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18565

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:23:26 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:23 UTC

On 07/11/2023 11:50, Vicky wrote:
> I like Ed and Eddie and am currently reading the synopses on the BBC
> site, not listening, but fb folk seem to be reporting that they
> challenged Oliver quite aggressively. I don't like to think of two
> younger, stronger men accosting an elderly man in any way
> unpleasantly. Also as he lives with Eddie and Clarrieit would make it
> uncomfortable for him, and might lead to their being asked to leave,

It was classic Grundy outrage and they were both being extremely
entitled and unpleasant to him.

There is an interesting potential legal conundrum over who could evict
whom from Grange Farm. Normally, if the landlord is living in the house
with his tenants, they are classed as lodgers and have precious few
legal rights. When the Grundys first rented Grange Farm from Oliver
though, he wasn't living there and they were, doubtless, tenants.
Oliver then moved in with them, which raises the question of whether he
is their lodger, as well as being their landlord, or have they become
lodgers?

As for the legal situation of Ed and Emma's caravan, heaven alone knows!

If Ed and Eddie upset Oliver enough, this may all become rather relevant...

> Having complained about Ms Higgins' grammar I'm now worried about
> their or them in that last sentence.

I would have opted for "them" but I make no claims to be a grammar expert.

--
Best wishes, Serena
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." - Sir Edmund Hillary

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kqv0pgFvd9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18566&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18566

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:43:59 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:43 UTC

On 07/11/2023 12:39, BrritSki wrote:
> On 07/11/2023 11:50, Vicky wrote:
>> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 09:57:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
>> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>>> death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>>>
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>>>
>>> aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
>>

>> ' As the refurbishment of the hotel span out of his control, he'
>> really?   Span?
>
> Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?

I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kqv1uqFtvipU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18567&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18567

From: news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: 7 Nov 2023 15:03:54 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:03 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:23:26 +0000, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> There is an interesting potential legal conundrum over who could evict
> whom from Grange Farm. Normally, if the landlord is living in the house
> with his tenants, they are classed as lodgers and have precious few
> legal rights. When the Grundys first rented Grange Farm from Oliver
> though, he wasn't living there and they were, doubtless, tenants.
> Oliver then moved in with them, which raises the question of whether he
> is their lodger, as well as being their landlord, or have they become
> lodgers?

Sounds like a case for Mr Justice Cocklecarrot.

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uidjoq$11ile$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18568&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18568

From: carolet.umrat@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:06:03 +0000
 by: carolet - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:06 UTC

On 07/11/2023 09:57, Serena Blanchflower wrote:

> Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
> death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>
> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
> aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>

Is this an online only thing or does it appear in the paper too? The url
implies that it is in today's paper, but I can't see it in there.

--
CaroleT

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uidmks$ucob$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18569&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18569

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:55:08 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:55 UTC

On 07/11/2023 15:03, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:23:26 +0000, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>
>> There is an interesting potential legal conundrum over who could evict
>> whom from Grange Farm. Normally, if the landlord is living in the house
>> with his tenants, they are classed as lodgers and have precious few
>> legal rights. When the Grundys first rented Grange Farm from Oliver
>> though, he wasn't living there and they were, doubtless, tenants.
>> Oliver then moved in with them, which raises the question of whether he
>> is their lodger, as well as being their landlord, or have they become
>> lodgers?
>
> Sounds like a case for Mr Justice Cocklecarrot.

Whozat?

If I find myself at a lose end, and feeling bored, it might become a
case for uk.legal.moderated ;)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What do you call just married spiders?

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uidmo9$ucob$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18570&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18570

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:56:56 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:56 UTC

On 07/11/2023 15:06, carolet wrote:
> On 07/11/2023 09:57, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>>
>> Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>> death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>>
>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>> aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
>
> Is this an online only thing or does it appear in the paper too? The url
> implies that it is in today's paper, but I can't see it in there.

I think it's generally in the paper but I've got the feeling in the past
that, sometimes, things are published on different schedules online vs
hard-copy. I don't know which day it normally appears in print.

--
Best wishes, Serena
The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uidnsq$12ve1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18571&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18571

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:16:26 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:16 UTC

On 07/11/2023 15:03, Jim Easterbrook wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:23:26 +0000, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>
>> There is an interesting potential legal conundrum over who could evict
>> whom from Grange Farm. Normally, if the landlord is living in the house
>> with his tenants, they are classed as lodgers and have precious few
>> legal rights. When the Grundys first rented Grange Farm from Oliver
>> though, he wasn't living there and they were, doubtless, tenants.
>> Oliver then moved in with them, which raises the question of whether he
>> is their lodger, as well as being their landlord, or have they become
>> lodgers?
>
> Sounds like a case for Mr Justice Cocklecarrot.

Where are we going to find red bearded dwarves in Borsetshire?

Can Terry Two-phones supply?

john (Aren't you rather tall for a dwarf?)

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kqv6u7FtvipU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18572&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18572

From: news@jim-easterbrook.me.uk (Jim Easterbrook)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: 7 Nov 2023 16:28:55 GMT
 by: Jim Easterbrook - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 16:28 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beachcomber_(pen_name)#Recurrent_characters

--
Jim <http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/>

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<bv1lkitem1bj1fjmge7ctbfrue4frrc365@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18573&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18573

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2023 18:54:55 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 18:54 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 14:43:59 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 07/11/2023 12:39, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 07/11/2023 11:50, Vicky wrote:

>>> ' As the refurbishment of the hotel span out of his control, he'
>>> really?   Span?
>>
>> Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?
>>

>I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!

Yes, spun

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<yqw2N.68185$rEF.11567@fx47.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18574&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18574

Close in Fatal Attraction?
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:42:21 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:42 UTC

On 07-Nov-23 14:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 07/11/2023 12:39, BrritSki wrote:
>> On 07/11/2023 11:50, Vicky wrote:

>>> ' As the refurbishment of the hotel span out of his control, he'
>>> really?   Span?
>>
>> Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?
>>

> I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!

I'm informed that "span" is the older past tense form, but it has been
rather crowded out by the upstart "spun" for both the past participle
and simple past forms.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kqvj2jF6loqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18575&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18575

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:56:04 +0000
 by: Kate B - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 19:56 UTC

On 07/11/2023 19:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 07-Nov-23 14:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:

>>> Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?
>>>

>> I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!
>
> I'm informed that "span" is the older past tense form, but it has been
> rather crowded out by the upstart "spun" for both the past participle
> and simple past forms.

I'd have used 'span', not 'spun' which is a participle needing an
auxiliary verb, eg 'had spun out of control'. I was rather happy to see it.

--
Kate B

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uie5sv$15tah$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18576&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18576

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob
channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:15:27 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:8a2BC+RYsfG7SrBj/nMJZrf0iNc=
 by: Wenlock - Tue, 7 Nov 2023 20:15 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 07/11/2023 19:42, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!
>>
>> I'm informed that "span" is the older past tense form, but it has been
>> rather crowded out by the upstart "spun" for both the past participle
>> and simple past forms.
>>

> I'd have used 'span', not 'spun' which is a participle needing an
> auxiliary verb, eg 'had spun out of control'. I was rather happy to see it.

Spin - Span - Spun
Pin - Pinned - Pinned
Win - Won - Won

I’m sure it all makes perfick sense.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uienie$14h37$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18577&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18577

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 01:17:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 01:17 UTC

On Tue, 07 Nov 2023 19:42:21 +0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> On 07-Nov-23 14:43, Jenny M Benson wrote:

>>> Past tense of "to span". Would you prefer "spinned" ?
>>>

>> I would have preferred "spun" in that context, but each to his/her own!
>
> I'm informed that "span" is the older past tense form, but it has been
> rather crowded out by the upstart "spun" for both the past participle
> and simple past forms.

Umrat Archer span round and interjected:

Swan swam over the sea.
Swim, swan, swim.
Swan swam back again.
Well swum swan.

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<kr17k6Ff5c3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18578&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18578

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52:53 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52 UTC

On 07/11/2023 20:15, Wenlock wrote:
> Spin - Span - Spun
> Pin - Pinned - Pinned
> Win - Won - Won
>
> I’m sure it all makes perfick sense.

Listening to Susie Dent's podcast Something Rhymes with Purple I have
just learned that the OED no longer includes ROOVES as the plural of ROOF.

I don't think I've had occasion to refer to more than one roof for a
*very* long time and I'm not sure now which plural I would have chosen.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<i7tmkip6g4slscet4d0cq6n4n405ac5nob@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18579&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18579

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 11:48:21 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 11:48 UTC

On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52:53 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 07/11/2023 20:15, Wenlock wrote:
>> Spin - Span - Spun
>> Pin - Pinned - Pinned
>> Win - Won - Won
>>
>> I’m sure it all makes perfick sense.
>
>Listening to Susie Dent's podcast Something Rhymes with Purple I have
>just learned that the OED no longer includes ROOVES as the plural of ROOF.
>
>I don't think I've had occasion to refer to more than one roof for a
>*very* long time and I'm not sure now which plural I would have chosen.

I don't like rooves. I'd use roofs. goofs? he goofs off.
oh. hooves...hmmmmmm hoofs..all 4 hoofs...
poofs...pooves..prefer poofs

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<0bPDQALtq4SlFw5w@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18580&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18580

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:18:37 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:18 UTC

In message <i7tmkip6g4slscet4d0cq6n4n405ac5nob@4ax.com> at Wed, 8 Nov
2023 11:48:21, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes
>On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52:53 +0000, Jenny M Benson
><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>On 07/11/2023 20:15, Wenlock wrote:
>>> Spin - Span - Spun
>>> Pin - Pinned - Pinned
>>> Win - Won - Won
>>>
>>> I’m sure it all makes perfick sense.
>>
>>Listening to Susie Dent's podcast Something Rhymes with Purple I have
>>just learned that the OED no longer includes ROOVES as the plural of ROOF.

I doubt it's gone completely - once something gets in, I don't think it
ever escapes! It might have been moved though, possibly to its own entry
(it would be the other side of room, wouldn't it) marked archaic or
obsolete.

>>I don't think I've had occasion to refer to more than one roof for a

"High winds ... trees may be uprooted, roofs blown off ..."

>>*very* long time and I'm not sure now which plural I would have chosen.
>
>I don't like rooves. I'd use roofs. goofs? he goofs off.

That's a present tense, not a plural (maybe that's what your "oh"
meant). I'd certainly use goofs though, to mean more than one goof -
definitely not gooves!

>oh. hooves...hmmmmmm hoofs..all 4 hoofs...

I think I'd still use ve there.

>poofs...pooves..prefer poofs

Isn't that non-PC - or even stronger - these days?

In genealogy, I like spice (by analogy with mice) for multiple partners
(-:

Never rely on somebody else for your happiness.
- Bette Davis, quoted by Celia Imrie, RT 2014/3/12-18

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<p73nki10g8cocdb86oojp5m45djal5r56a@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18581&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18581

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:31:39 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:31 UTC

On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 15:56:56 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 07/11/2023 15:06, carolet wrote:
>> On 07/11/2023 09:57, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>>>
>>> Helen Archer’s ex continues his mind games, having returned from his
>>> death bed – just when we thought we were safe
>>>
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/07/charlotte-higgins-on-the-archers-is-evil-rob-channeling-glenn-close-in-fatal-attraction>,
>>> aka <https://tinyl.io/9iRC>
>>
>> Is this an online only thing or does it appear in the paper too? The url
>> implies that it is in today's paper, but I can't see it in there.
>>

>I think it's generally in the paper but I've got the feeling in the past
>that, sometimes, things are published on different schedules online vs
>hard-copy. I don't know which day it normally appears in print.

This on-line/in-print thing can be hard to keep up with - even for
seasoned professionals.

I'm pretty sure that this week, on the Today programme, while they
were reviewing the papers, one said to the other, Didn't we read out
that headline yesterday?

The other replied, Yes, but that was in the on-line edition.

Nick

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<uig2kk$1k7f8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18582&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18582

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Close in Fatal Attraction?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:32:04 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:32 UTC

On 08/11/2023 11:48, Vicky wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52:53 +0000, Jenny M Benson
> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 07/11/2023 20:15, Wenlock wrote:
>>> Spin - Span - Spun
>>> Pin - Pinned - Pinned
>>> Win - Won - Won
>>>
>>> I’m sure it all makes perfick sense.
>>
>> Listening to Susie Dent's podcast Something Rhymes with Purple I have
>> just learned that the OED no longer includes ROOVES as the plural of ROOF.
>>
>> I don't think I've had occasion to refer to more than one roof for a
>> *very* long time and I'm not sure now which plural I would have chosen.
>
> I don't like rooves. I'd use roofs. goofs? he goofs off.
> oh. hooves...hmmmmmm hoofs..all 4 hoofs...
> poofs...pooves..prefer poofs

Dwarf, dwarves (whatever happened to dwerrow?)

john

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<RqZa8xL2D5SlFwOL@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18583&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18583

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:45:26 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:45 UTC

In message <uig2kk$1k7f8$1@dont-email.me> at Wed, 8 Nov 2023 13:32:04,
John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>On 08/11/2023 11:48, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Nov 2023 10:52:53 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Listening to Susie Dent's podcast Something Rhymes with Purple I have
>>> just learned that the OED no longer includes ROOVES as the plural of ROOF.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've had occasion to refer to more than one roof for a
>>> *very* long time and I'm not sure now which plural I would have chosen.
>> I don't like rooves. I'd use roofs. goofs? he goofs off.
>> oh. hooves...hmmmmmm hoofs..all 4 hoofs...
>> poofs...pooves..prefer poofs
>
>Dwarf, dwarves (whatever happened to dwerrow?)
>
>john

Thinking about that one, I think the v for some words is to overcome the
(slight) difficulty of (in this case) pronouncing rfs. Less difficult
oofs, though the fs is still slightly harder than vs.

Maybe.

.... a series about a grumpy old man who lives in a phone box is unlikely to
have been commissioned these days. 798 episodes later ...

Re: Charlotte Higgins on The Archers: is Evil Rob channelling Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction?

<OIS2N.7$%p%e.6@fx43.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18584&group=uk.media.radio.archers#18584

Close in Fatal Attraction?
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 21:03:42 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 8 Nov 2023 21:03 UTC

On 08-Nov-23 13:18, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <i7tmkip6g4slscet4d0cq6n4n405ac5nob@4ax.com> at Wed, 8 Nov
> 2023 11:48:21, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> writes

>> poofs...pooves..prefer poofs
>
> Isn't that non-PC - or even stronger - these days?

Think furniture. (Although I haven't seen one in many a decade.)

--
Sam Plusnet