You have taken yourself too seriously.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Long term storage

SubjectAuthor
* Long term storageBoots
+- Long term storageStephen Packer
+* Long term storageYTC#1

Pages:12
Long term storage

<dgeqvj-493.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18830&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18830

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Long term storage
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:34:53 +0800
 by: Boots - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 12:34 UTC

Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for some
while, period to be determined. My parking lots are under cover ground floor of
our small multi-story 1 row in so not subject directly to the weather and with a
through movement of air so condensation isn't really an issue.

When we've been away for a couple of months I just disconnected the car battery
and removed that from the BMW, left the little Suzuki alone since it has nothing
that has a low draw like a clock. Had a cover on the BMW, which was a bit dusty
when we got back. All I had to do was pump the tyres on our return everything
started, the hardest was the Suzuki needed a few minutes of kicking.

If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best way to hope
they survive without too many issues?

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Long term storage

<3a6c94f0-110a-4742-a543-95ee3cc0b60fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18831&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18831

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 07:23:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Long term storage
From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:23 UTC

On Saturday, 14 October 2023 at 13:48:08 UTC+1, Boots wrote:
> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for some
> while, period to be determined. My parking lots are under cover ground floor of
> our small multi-story 1 row in so not subject directly to the weather and with a
> through movement of air so condensation isn't really an issue.
>
> When we've been away for a couple of months I just disconnected the car battery
> and removed that from the BMW, left the little Suzuki alone since it has nothing
> that has a low draw like a clock. Had a cover on the BMW, which was a bit dusty
> when we got back. All I had to do was pump the tyres on our return everything
> started, the hardest was the Suzuki needed a few minutes of kicking.
>
> If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best way to hope
> they survive without too many issues?

I'd suggest pretty much the same, if the batteries could be on a maintenance charge
somewhere. Maybe run the petrol pretty low or drain the tanks then top up with 5l
of fresh petrol with a fully charged battery. Depends on humidity *maybe* change oil
on return?

I've left bikes for over six months only leaving a maintenance charger on the battery
doesn't *seem* to have caused too many problems (well they still start when asked).

Maybe Simon Wilson would know more... ?

Re: Long term storage

<uge8l2$3t7am$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18832&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18832

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:29:54 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 14:29 UTC

On 14/10/2023 13:34, Boots wrote:
> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for some
> while, period to be determined. My parking lots are under cover ground floor of
> our small multi-story 1 row in so not subject directly to the weather and with a
> through movement of air so condensation isn't really an issue.
>
> When we've been away for a couple of months I just disconnected the car battery
> and removed that from the BMW, left the little Suzuki alone since it has nothing
> that has a low draw like a clock. Had a cover on the BMW, which was a bit dusty
> when we got back. All I had to do was pump the tyres on our return everything
> started, the hardest was the Suzuki needed a few minutes of kicking.
>
> If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best way to hope
> they survive without too many issues?

Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).

Batteries I disconnect.

Petrol, I usually fill the tank and then I have some additive stuff my
tame mechanic recommended that is meant to deal with moisture. I've
never had any issues starting the bikes. 9 months was probably the
longest. Then I just take them for a run to empty the tank and top up.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: Long term storage

<ugeb0q$3tolc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18833&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18833

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:10:17 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:10 UTC

On 14/10/2023 15:29, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 13:34, Boots wrote:
>> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for
>> some
>> while, period to be determined. My parking lots are under cover ground
>> floor of
>> our small multi-story 1 row in so not subject directly to the weather
>> and with a
>> through movement of air so condensation isn't really an issue.
>>
>> When we've been away for a couple of months I just disconnected the
>> car battery
>> and removed that from the BMW, left the little Suzuki alone since it
>> has nothing
>> that has a low draw like a clock. Had a cover on the BMW, which was a
>> bit dusty
>> when we got back. All I had to do was pump the tyres on our return
>> everything
>> started, the hardest was the Suzuki needed a few minutes of kicking.
>>
>> If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best
>> way to hope
>> they survive without too many issues?
>>

> Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
> may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).
>
> Batteries I disconnect.
>
> Petrol, I usually fill the tank and then I have some additive stuff my
> tame mechanic recommended that is meant to deal with moisture. I've
> never had any issues starting the bikes. 9 months was probably the
> longest. Then I just take them for a run to empty the tank and top up.

Probably doesn't count, but I bought a MSS which had been crated-up for
the duration of the war - bwhere it remained until 1961.

It had been stored dry. That's it.

It was reassembled in 1961, oil and perol poured in, carb tickled,piston
taken over TDC on the firing stroke, and given a hefty kick (on the
kickstart).

It went first time. I bought it for a tenner. Wish I still had it...

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<lcdliidpahvig1glstnkqckp9i7im80lbg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18834&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18834

From: look@colinandpat.co.uk (Colin Irvine)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 16:37:15 +0100
 by: Colin Irvine - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:37 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:29:54 +0100, YTC#1 <ytc1@ytc1.co.uk> wrote:

>On 14/10/2023 13:34, Boots wrote:
>> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for some
>> while, period to be determined. My parking lots are under cover ground floor of
>> our small multi-story 1 row in so not subject directly to the weather and with a
>> through movement of air so condensation isn't really an issue.
>>
>> When we've been away for a couple of months I just disconnected the car battery
>> and removed that from the BMW, left the little Suzuki alone since it has nothing
>> that has a low draw like a clock. Had a cover on the BMW, which was a bit dusty
>> when we got back. All I had to do was pump the tyres on our return everything
>> started, the hardest was the Suzuki needed a few minutes of kicking.
>>
>> If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best way to hope
>> they survive without too many issues?
>>

>Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
>If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
>may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).
>
>Batteries I disconnect.
>
>Petrol, I usually fill the tank and then I have some additive stuff my
>tame mechanic recommended that is meant to deal with moisture. I've
>never had any issues starting the bikes. 9 months was probably the
>longest. Then I just take them for a run to empty the tank and top up.

All of the above.

--
Colin Irvine
R1250RS

Re: Long term storage

<3fmrvj-q83.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18835&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18835

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 07:56:51 +0800
 by: Boots - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 23:56 UTC

On 14/10/2023 23:37 Colin Irvine penned these words:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 15:29:54 +0100, YTC#1 <ytc1@ytc1.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 14/10/2023 13:34, Boots wrote:
>>> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes
>>>

>> Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
>> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
>> may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).
>>
>> Batteries I disconnect.

Good call on the centre stand. I do usually when we're away but it's good to
have a reason.

>> Petrol, I usually fill the tank and then I have some additive stuff my
>> tame mechanic recommended that is meant to deal with moisture.

I'll fill the tanks then. So far 2 months it has not been an issue with starting.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: Long term storage

<13340d05-6876-447f-97cc-c0a870c30cd3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18836&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18836

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 17:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: benblaney@gmail.com (Ben Blaney)
 by: Ben Blaney - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 00:29 UTC

On Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 8:48:08 AM UTC-4, Boots wrote:
> Turns out for reasons I might need to store the bikes and the car for some
> while, period to be determined.

Hope all is well matey.
> If I assume we'll be away 6 months maybe more, thoughts on the best way to hope
> they survive without too many issues?

I'm a member of a classic car club which owns a large storage building, and so every October/November I observe the various members prepare their cars in different ways.

1. Some people are sure to brim the tank (to prevent the H20 in the air clinging to the tank above the liquid level and triggering corrosion), put a product called "Stabil" [0] in the tank (something to do with restarting next spring), put wire wool up the exhaust pipe (deter mice from entering and nesting), put dryer sheets in the footwells (again, mice I think), put mothballs all around the vehicle (non-specific critter deterrent?), a battery tender (natch), and a cloth cover.

2. Some people drive them in, switch it off and walk away.

I think option #1 may be a little much, but option #2 a little too cavalier.. "Brim the tank" would be my priority; rust is a bugger, isn't it.

[0] https://www.sta-bil.com.au

Re: Long term storage

<ugfv31$br0m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18837&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18837

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 06:58:56 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 05:58 UTC

On 15/10/2023 00:56, Boots wrote:

> I'll fill the tanks then. So far 2 months it has not been an issue with starting.

I don't know if filling the tank is a good idea: unless the formuation
of lead-free petrol has changed, storing it for longish periods is not
recommended.

OTOH it didn't seem to make any difference when I started my (SOB) Honda
250RS after a couple of years stay in hospital and 'respite care'.*

* Me, not the SOB

--

Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<XnsB09E65E50C1BBwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18838&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18838

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:00:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:00 UTC

RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in

> On 15/10/2023 00:56, Boots wrote:
>
>> I'll fill the tanks then. So far 2 months it has not been an issue
>> with starting.
>>
> I don't know if filling the tank is a good idea: unless the formuation
> of lead-free petrol has changed, storing it for longish periods is not
> recommended.
>
> OTOH it didn't seem to make any difference when I started my (SOB)
> Honda 250RS after a couple of years stay in hospital and 'respite
> care'.*
>

> * Me, not the SOB

you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more moist
air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every time there is
a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol solution separates and
in long term storage, this will rust steel tanks as well as causing
problems starting the bike. Fill the tank and you will minimise this
effect.

Re: Long term storage

<ugh49r$jkip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18839&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18839

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:34:03 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

On 15/10/2023 10:00, wessie wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 15/10/2023 00:56, Boots wrote:
>>
>>> I'll fill the tanks then. So far 2 months it has not been an issue
>>> with starting.
>>>
>> I don't know if filling the tank is a good idea: unless the formuation
>> of lead-free petrol has changed, storing it for longish periods is not
>> recommended.
>>
>> OTOH it didn't seem to make any difference when I started my (SOB)
>> Honda 250RS after a couple of years stay in hospital and 'respite
>> care'.*
>>

>> * Me, not the SOB
>>

> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more moist
> air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every time there is
> a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol solution separates and
> in long term storage, this will rust steel tanks as well as causing
> problems starting the bike. Fill the tank and you will minimise this
> effect.

'SOBvious when it's put like that

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<kp2nouFasp6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18840&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18840

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 19:02:06 +0100
 by: Eddie - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:02 UTC

On 14/10/2023 15:29, YTC#1 wrote:

> Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
> may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).

Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this? Obviously, reduce
the pressure to the correct setting before riding anywhere.

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Long term storage

<ugk7mf$2eqbg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18845&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18845

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:50:23 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:50 UTC

On 15/10/2023 10:00, wessie wrote:
> RustyHinge <rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 15/10/2023 00:56, Boots wrote:
>>
>>> I'll fill the tanks then. So far 2 months it has not been an issue
>>> with starting.
>>>
>> I don't know if filling the tank is a good idea: unless the formuation
>> of lead-free petrol has changed, storing it for longish periods is not
>> recommended.
>>
>> OTOH it didn't seem to make any difference when I started my (SOB)
>> Honda 250RS after a couple of years stay in hospital and 'respite
>> care'.*
>>

>> * Me, not the SOB
>>

> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more moist
*ding*
I knew I'd had it explained to me why it was a good idea.

> air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every time there is
> a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol solution separates and
> in long term storage, this will rust steel tanks as well as causing

The old XJ900F tank was shagged. So much petseal I lost 2 litres of
capacity.

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Long term storage

<ugk7ns$2eqbg$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18846&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18846

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:51:08 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 20:51 UTC

On 15/10/2023 19:02, Eddie wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 15:29, YTC#1 wrote:
>>
>> Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
>> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
>> may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).
>
> Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this? Obviously, reduce
> the pressure to the correct setting before riding anywhere.

Hmm, but would that not cause more floor contact? :-)

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"
http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

Re: Long term storage

<kp6sfmFo4o2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18847&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18847

From: eddie@deguello.org (Eddie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 08:47:02 +0100
 by: Eddie - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 07:47 UTC

On 16/10/2023 21:51, YTC#1 wrote:
> On 15/10/2023 19:02, Eddie wrote:
>> On 14/10/2023 15:29, YTC#1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Like others I have left bikes standing for long periods.
>>> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres
>>> (I may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat
>>> area).
>>
>> Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this? Obviously, reduce
>> the pressure to the correct setting before riding anywhere.
>
> Hmm, but would that not cause more floor contact? :-)

Eh?

--
Eddie eddie@deguello.org

Re: Long term storage

<ugm1lq$2vrlk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18851&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18851

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:19:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:19 UTC

wessie wrote:

> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more
> moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every
> time there is a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol
> solution separates and in long term storage, this will rust steel
> tanks as well as causing problems starting the bike. Fill the tank
> and you will minimise this effect.

What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie. half
liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be half liquid
petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any moisture of its own
accord. Or am I missing something?

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: Long term storage

<od3tii59m9aakutqumhnovf2cnmsgaraiu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18852&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18852

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 14:39:38 +0100
 by: Champ - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:39 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 21:51:08 +0100, YTC#1 <ytc1@ytc1.co.uk> wrote:

>>> If possible I leave on main stand to reduce the weight on the tyres (I
>>> may be wrong but it should be less likely to end up with a flat area).
>> Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this?

>Hmm, but would that not cause more floor contact? :-)

You're so special, Bruce. I can see why Eddie wrote "Eh?" :-)

Think of the shape of a flat tyre
Now think of the shape of a correctly inflated tyre

Which one has more rubber touching the ground?

Now consider an over-inflated tyre. The increased air pressure means
it will deflect even less (than a correctly inflated tyre) under the
weight of the bike, and therefore put even less rubber on the ground.
Not more.

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: Long term storage

<ugm7qi$31apt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18854&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18854

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:04:49 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:04 UTC

On 17/10/2023 14:19, GeoffC wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>

>> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more
>> moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every
>> time there is a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol
>> solution separates and in long term storage, this will rust steel
>> tanks as well as causing problems starting the bike. Fill the tank
>> and you will minimise this effect.
>

> What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie. half
> liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be half liquid
> petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any moisture of its own
> accord. Or am I missing something?

Yes: half a tank of petrol-vapour saturated solution in air, gand a
breather to complicate matters.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<ugm7uh$31apt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18855&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18855

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:06:57 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:06 UTC

On 17/10/2023 14:39, Champ wrote:

>>> Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this?
>
>> Hmm, but would that not cause more floor contact? :-)
>
> You're so special, Bruce. I can see why Eddie wrote "Eh?" :-)
>
> Think of the shape of a flat tyre
> Now think of the shape of a correctly inflated tyre
>
> Which one has more rubber touching the ground?
>
> Now consider an over-inflated tyre. The increased air pressure means
> it will deflect even less (than a correctly inflated tyre) under the
> weight of the bike, and therefore put even less rubber on the ground.
> Not more.

Applause!

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<XnsB0A0A754E3386wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18856&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18856

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:26:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:26 UTC

"GeoffC" <me@invalid.nl> wrote in news:ugm1lq$2vrlk$1@dont-email.me:

> wessie wrote:
>

>> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in more
>> moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture every
>> time there is a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the ethanol
>> solution separates and in long term storage, this will rust steel
>> tanks as well as causing problems starting the bike. Fill the tank
>> and you will minimise this effect.
>

> What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie. half
> liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be half liquid
> petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any moisture of its own
> accord. Or am I missing something?

that tank is not sealed, it has a breather so there is likely some gas
exchange as ambient temperature rises and falls. Bear in mind the OP lives
in the tropice where there is quite a differential between day and night
ambient temperature.

Re: Long term storage

<ugmai4$3202c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18857&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18857

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:51:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 15:51 UTC

wessie wrote:

> "GeoffC" <me@invalid.nl> wrote in news:ugm1lq$2vrlk$1@dont-email.me:
>
> > wessie wrote:
> >

> >> you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in
> more >> moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture
> every >> time there is a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the
> ethanol >> solution separates and in long term storage, this will
> rust steel >> tanks as well as causing problems starting the bike.
> Fill the tank >> and you will minimise this effect.
> >

> > What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie.
> > half liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be
> > half liquid petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any
> > moisture of its own accord. Or am I missing something?
> >

> that tank is not sealed, it has a breather so there is likely some
> gas exchange as ambient temperature rises and falls. Bear in mind the
> OP lives in the tropice where there is quite a differential between
> day and night ambient temperature.

Would that not happen anyway irrespective of whether the bike is
standing or being used?

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: Long term storage

<ugmb5h$3255j$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18858&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18858

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:01:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:01 UTC

RustyHinge wrote:

> On 17/10/2023 14:19, GeoffC wrote:
> > wessie wrote:
> >

> > > you want less air in the tank to expand then contract sucking in
> > > more moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the
> > > moisture every time there is a new batch of air sucked in.
> > > Eventually the ethanol solution separates and in long term
> > > storage, this will rust steel tanks as well as causing problems
> > > starting the bike. Fill the tank and you will minimise this
> > > effect.
> >

> > What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie.
> > half liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be
> > half liquid petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any
> > moisture of its own accord. Or am I missing something?
>
> Yes: half a tank of petrol-vapour saturated solution in air, gand a
> breather to complicate matters.

Yebbut air can only hold so much and petrol is much more volatile than
water. I remain sceptical that any water vapour will get into a tank
that is full of petrol vapour.
Otherwise car petrol tanks would be sloshing with water after 10 years.

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: Long term storage

<ugmbu7$32aj7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18859&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18859

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:15:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 16:15 UTC

GeoffC <me@invalid.nl> wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:

>> > What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie.
>> > half liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be
>> > half liquid petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any
>> > moisture of its own accord. Or am I missing something?
>>
>> Yes: half a tank of petrol-vapour saturated solution in air, gand a
>> breather to complicate matters.
>
> Yebbut air can only hold so much and petrol is much more volatile than
> water. I remain sceptical that any water vapour will get into a tank
> that is full of petrol vapour.
> Otherwise car petrol tanks would be sloshing with water after 10 years.

But vehicles cycle through their fuel, it's not the same batch for
the whole 10 years...

Ethanol/petrol mixes absorb water from the air and keep the water mixed
in with the fuel, so it gets consumed by the engine and never (ideally)
accumlates so much water in the tank as to allow phase separation.

If you leave the fuel in the tank for a long time, enough water can be
absorbed from the air so that an ethanol/water mixture will separate
out from the petrol.

https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php#:~:text=Another%20property%20of%20ethanol%20blends,a%20result%20of%20temperature%20change.

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Long term storage

<ugmg4v$33amd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18861&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18861

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:26:54 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:26 UTC

On 17/10/2023 17:01, GeoffC wrote:
> RustyHinge wrote:

>>> What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie.
>>> half liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be
>>> half liquid petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any
>>> moisture of its own accord. Or am I missing something?
>>
>> Yes: half a tank of petrol-vapour saturated solution in air, gand a
>> breather to complicate matters.
>
> Yebbut air can only hold so much and petrol is much more volatile than
> water. I remain sceptical that any water vapour will get into a tank
> that is full of petrol vapour.
> Otherwise car petrol tanks would be sloshing with water after 10 years.

Can't comment: I gave-up driving, motorcycling &c shortrly after
unleaded became the standard. (Having 'funny turns' which turned out to
be tachycardia in half the heart wrangling with t'other half, causing it
to do a 'Windoze' - switch-off and do a restart. I didn'y know what the
cause was at the time, but didn't consider it safe to drive. later found
out the 'turns' were when the ticker went qrt. Now on stuff to slow it
down, and a Pacemakerto tell it when to beat. Should be immortal, innit)

A certain amount of water will dissolve in petrol (and vice versa)
especially when admixed with ethanol, but I don't know what effect this
will have over the long term.

One day they'll find a substitute for ethanol (unless it's more
expensive...) and the drawbacks will only become evident after several
years.

Then ???

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<ugmgd6$33d55$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18862&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18862

From: rusty.hinge@foobar.girolle.co.uk (RustyHinge)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:31:17 +0100
 by: RustyHinge - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:31 UTC

On 17/10/2023 16:51, GeoffC wrote:
> wessie wrote:

>> more >> moist air. Petrol containing ethanol will absorb the moisture
>> every >> time there is a new batch of air sucked in. Eventually the
>> ethanol >> solution separates and in long term storage, this will
>> rust steel >> tanks as well as causing problems starting the bike.
>> Fill the tank >> and you will minimise this effect.
>>>

>>> What you describe is how a half full tank of diesel would be ie.
>>> half liquid diesel and half air. But would a petrol tank not be
>>> half liquid petrol and half petrol vapour thereby excluding any
>>> moisture of its own accord. Or am I missing something?
>>>

>> that tank is not sealed, it has a breather so there is likely some
>> gas exchange as ambient temperature rises and falls. Bear in mind the
>> OP lives in the tropice where there is quite a differential between
>> day and night ambient temperature.
>
> Would that not happen anyway irrespective of whether the bike is
> standing or being used?

Yes, but if it's being used, so is the absorbed moisture. It's the
long-term which is the fly in the ointment.

--
Rusty Hinge

Re: Long term storage

<ugmi1q$33n8c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=18864&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#18864

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:59:21 +0100
 by: YTC#1 - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:59 UTC

>>> Would over-inflating the tyres a bit help with this?
>
>> Hmm, but would that not cause more floor contact? :-)
>
> You're so special, Bruce. I can see why Eddie wrote "Eh?" :-)

Dunno why I bother with the smiie sometimes.:-(