Prizes are for children. -- Charles Ives, upon being given, but refusing, the Pulitzer prize

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Smart meters and pedantry

SubjectAuthor
* Smart meters and pedantryJohn Ashby
+* Smart meters and pedantryMike McMillan
|`* Smart meters and pedantrySam Plusnet
| `* Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
|  +* Smart meters and pedantryNick Odell
|  |+- Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
|  |+- Smart meters and pedantrySam Plusnet
|  |`- Smart meters and pedantryJohn Ashby
|  `* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
|   `* Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
|    +* Smart meters and pedantryWenlock
|    |+* Smart meters and pedantrySerena Blanchflower
|    ||`- Smart meters and pedantryMike McMillan
|    |+* Smart meters and pedantryJohn Ashby
|    ||`* Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
|    || +- Smart meters and pedantrySam Plusnet
|    || `* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
|    ||  +* Smart meters and pedantrykrw
|    ||  |`- Smart meters and pedantrySam Plusnet
|    ||  `* Smart meters and pedantryTony Smith
|    ||   `* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
|    ||    +* Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
|    ||    |+- Smart meters and pedantryWenlock
|    ||    |`- Smart meters and pedantryWenlock
|    ||    `- Smart meters and pedantryRosie Mitchell
|    |+* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
|    ||+- Smart meters and pedantryMike McMillan
|    ||+- Smart meters and pedantryRosie Mitchell
|    ||`* Smart meters and pedantryWenlock
|    || +- Smart meters and pedantryMike McMillan
|    || `- Smart meters and pedantryMike McMillan
|    |`- Smart meters and pedantryNick Odell
|    `* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
|     `- Smart meters and pedantryJ. P. Gilliver
`* Smart meters and pedantryPenny
 `* Smart meters and pedantryJohn Ashby
  `- Smart meters and pedantryPenny

Pages:12
Smart meters and pedantry

<ujskol$2pc6c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19116&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19116

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Smart meters and pedantry
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11:17 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11 UTC

But not together.

New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.

Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.

This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?

john

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujsuvv$2qsen$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19120&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19120

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Smart meters and pedantry
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:05:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZfNx6wJHxMKcerBYKPDhucOzEtU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 14:05 UTC

John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
> But not together.
>
> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.
>
> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.
>
> This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
> qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?
>
> john

Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the obnoxious
opinions’ and your home and dry!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<8Er8N.7143$tIyd.515@fx34.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19129&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19129

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09 UTC

On 25-Nov-23 14:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> But not together.
>>
>> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.
>>
>> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.
>>
>> This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
>> qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?
>>
>> john
>>

> Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the obnoxious
> opinions’ and your home and dry!

Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
in which case...
<lost for words>

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<1Qcih0jIxkYlFwJm@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19134&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19134

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34 UTC

In message <8Er8N.7143$tIyd.515@fx34.iad> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55,
Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes
>On 25-Nov-23 14:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> But not together.
>>>
>>> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>>> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>>> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>>> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>>> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>>> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>>> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>>> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.

Isn't it that if _both_ meters are subterranean, the chance of getting a
fobile signal is less? If only the gas meter is, then as long as the
electric one isn't and the gas is close enough to talk to the electric,
all is well?

>>> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>>> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>>> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>>> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>>> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>>> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>>> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.

Excellent example.
[]
>> Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the
>>obnoxious
>> opinions’ and your home and dry!

My home and dry what? (Sorry, couldn't let that pass in a post
containing another language point! [Now, what error have _I_ made?!?])

>Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
>shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
>in which case...
><lost for words>

I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.

And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
difference, at least between the last two?

he was eventually struck off by the BMA in 1968 for not knowing his gluteus
maximus from his humerus.

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<o1n4mi5fnm4rffoqghofor7hg6hrjfucv0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19139&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19139

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:45:25 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 20:45 UTC

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <8Er8N.7143$tIyd.515@fx34.iad> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55,
>Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes

>Isn't it that if _both_ meters are subterranean, the chance of getting a
>fobile signal is less? If only the gas meter is, then as long as the
>electric one isn't and the gas is close enough to talk to the electric,
>all is well?

>Excellent example.
>[]
>>> Replace …”and with less obnoxious opinions". with ‘without the
>>>obnoxious
>>> opinions’ and your home and dry!
>
>My home and dry what? (Sorry, couldn't let that pass in a post
>containing another language point! [Now, what error have _I_ made?!?])
>>
>>Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
>>shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
>>in which case...
>><lost for words>
>>
>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.
>
>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>difference, at least between the last two?

(I suspect that Sam, like Mike beofre him was following the age-old
law of USENET which requires that a post critical of another's
spelling, grammar or punctuation must contain at least one error of
it's own.)

Nick

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<4RCxBLpwTnYlFw4X@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19142&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19142

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:28:00 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 22:28 UTC

In message <o1n4mi5fnm4rffoqghofor7hg6hrjfucv0@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 20:45:25, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes
>On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <8Er8N.7143$tIyd.515@fx34.iad> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55,
>>Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes

>>Isn't it that if _both_ meters are subterranean, the chance of getting a
>>fobile signal is less? If only the gas meter is, then as long as the
>>electric one isn't and the gas is close enough to talk to the electric,
>>all is well?

>>Excellent example.
>>[]
>>
>>My home and dry what? (Sorry, couldn't let that pass in a post
>>containing another language point! [Now, what error have _I_ made?!?])
>>>
>>>Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
>>>shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
>>>in which case...
>>><lost for words>
>>>
>>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.
>>
>>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>>difference, at least between the last two?
>
>(I suspect that Sam, like Mike beofre him was following the age-old
>law of USENET which requires that a post critical of another's
>spelling, grammar or punctuation must contain at least one error of
>it's own.)
>
>Nick

Ah, I thought that had to be accidental - oh, I see, you're suggesting
it was. (That's why I said "what have _I_ done".)

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<L5x8N.4326$ccK4.2344@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19145&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19145

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:22:50 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 01:22 UTC

On 25-Nov-23 20:45, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <8Er8N.7143$tIyd.515@fx34.iad> at Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:09:55,
>> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> writes

>> Isn't it that if _both_ meters are subterranean, the chance of getting a
>> fobile signal is less? If only the gas meter is, then as long as the
>> electric one isn't and the gas is close enough to talk to the electric,
>> all is well?

>> Excellent example.
>> []
>>
>> My home and dry what? (Sorry, couldn't let that pass in a post
>> containing another language point! [Now, what error have _I_ made?!?])
>>>
>>> Alas, I suspect that comparing one's inamorata to Farage, in any way
>>> shape or form, is a serious vote loser - unless they are a fan of N.F.
>>> in which case...
>>> <lost for words>
>>>
>> I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.
>>
>> And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>> difference, at least between the last two?
>
> (I suspect that Sam, like Mike beofre him was following the age-old
> law of USENET which requires that a post critical of another's
> spelling, grammar or punctuation must contain at least one error of
> it's own.)

I follow the Anarchist's punctuation guide - slavishly.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujutlq$36ig6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19147&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19147

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 07:55:38 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 07:55 UTC

On 25/11/2023 20:45, Nick Odell wrote:
> must contain at least one error of
> it's own.)
>
> Nick

Well done.

john

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<kps2miledb1mmeabqbktf6r3jov7uahaen@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19157&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19157

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 04:11:10 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 04:11 UTC

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11:17 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>But not together.
>
>New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.
>
>Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.
>
>This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
>qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?

I think you were lucky to get away with that, assuming you did. To me, it
still implies you find some of her opinions somewhat obnoxious.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<94t2mi5bcqmijp10jl4inafb3i73s8ch13@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19158&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19158

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 04:17:59 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 04:17 UTC

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.

Glorious!
(was she wearing a garter?)

>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>difference, at least between the last two?

Whoosh!
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvlg7$39vuc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19159&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19159

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:42:15 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:42 UTC

On 25/11/2023 04:11, Penny wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11:17 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> But not together.
>>
>> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.
>>
>> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.
>>
>> This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
>> qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?
>
> I think you were lucky to get away with that, assuming you did. To me, it
> still implies you find some of her opinions somewhat obnoxious.

We're still in that first flush of a later-years teen-like relationship
where teasing is still possible.

john

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<GStOxYtNp1YlFwen@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19161&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19161

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46:37 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46 UTC

In message <94t2mi5bcqmijp10jl4inafb3i73s8ch13@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 04:17:59, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 19:34:32 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>I always think of "Mud" when I hear the word inamorata.
>
>Glorious!
>(was she wearing a garter?)

Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)

>>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>>difference, at least between the last two?
>
>Whoosh!
"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)

As individuals, politicians are usually quite charming, so it is quite hard to
dislike them, but in most cases, it is worth making the effort.
- Mark Williams (UMRA), 2013-4-26

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvpul$3alpo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19168&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19168

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iX2FbzWNt/QF9OzPC+sApQ7CJF4=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)

грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.

(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvqe4$37g0s$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19170&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19170

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:06:28 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:06 UTC

On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>

> грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.
>
> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

Yes, looks like it ;)

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. What do you get if you cross a sheep with a grasshopper?

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvsn2$3b3pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19171&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19171

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45 UTC

On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>

> грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.
>
> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

It does here.

john

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<1r53mi5g07oi4b8pin7tg2m3vfjaj3ijak@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19174&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19174

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:43:47 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:43 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:42:15 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
scrawled in the dust...

>On 25/11/2023 04:11, Penny wrote:
>> On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 11:11:17 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
>> scrawled in the dust...
>>
>>> But not together.
>>>
>>> New Partner had her smart meters installed yesterday following a
>>> profitable cock-up on Eon's part (they failed to show up for the first
>>> appointment so £30 compensation and by the time she rescheduled they are
>>> now offering £50 per meter incentive). But that's not the point - umrats
>>> in the past have (IIRC) said that they have been unable to have meters
>>> installed in subterranean outside boxes. Her gas meter was just such a
>>> one and was swapped out with no problem and a comment of "We do this all
>>> the time". Don't let the buggers fob you off.
>>>
>>> Unrelatedly as she emerged in a state of deshabille I remarked that she
>>> looked better than Farage "and with less obnoxious opinions". I have in
>>> the past said that there were very few occasions where the distinction
>>> between less and fewer matters. This is one. Had I said she held fewer
>>> obnoxious opinions it would imply that she did have opinions I found
>>> obnoxious but not as many as Nigel whereas less obnoxious implies that
>>> the opinions she has are not as unacceptable as his.
>>>
>>> This is because fewer qualifies countable entities (opinions) while less
>>> qualifies continuous ones (the degree of obnoxiousnessosity). DINTAFBAPOU?
>>
>> I think you were lucky to get away with that, assuming you did. To me, it
>> still implies you find some of her opinions somewhat obnoxious.
>
>We're still in that first flush of a later-years teen-like relationship
>where teasing is still possible.

Aww, just bear it in mind... I liked Mike's suggestion.

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<uv53milpvbrfbtrjnf36rtl3csps4u8r52@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19175&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19175

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:47:04 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:47 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
<wenlock.house@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...

>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>

>?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>
>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<1463miprbjfqhvn8e6e96lu4aad1t7ro14@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19176&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19176

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:58:13 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 25 Nov 2023 06:58 UTC

On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46:37 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>>>And I've often wondered why weshepoform - why all three? What's the
>>>difference, at least between the last two?
>>
>>Whoosh!
>"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)

Oh.
Why did you spell it so strangely?
Vaguely reminds me of Freffly posh, but with spelling errors.

Anyway, it's just an emphatic NO.

Not sure where it fits in the post though, doesn't occur in the song.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvunh$3bdsi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19177&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19177

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:19:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mCu0iTsQ2m4qpdjh5t5QA+edLfw=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:19 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
> <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>> ?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>>
>> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>
> No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

It should work in this country on a rainy day … UK Rain.😉

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<ujvuq4$3begi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19178&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19178

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:21:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:rQnO6I8bnNpc/VahTVRmePKuteM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:21 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>> грязь, грязь, великолепная грязь.
>>
>> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>

> Yes, looks like it ;)

Indeed it does!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<87msv0a00w.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19181&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19181

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:37:35 +0000
sha1:ruGG2fzKpdFD/LsucmiTz2S+8fg=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:37 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 15:58:13 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
> <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> scrawled in the dust...
>
>>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>

>>?????, ?????, ???????????? ?????.
>>
>>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>
> No (not on my screen), is that the Russian version?

О да, это так!

Розий

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<EoOuPoyCX4YlFwMa@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19182&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19182

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:52:02 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:52 UTC

In message <1463miprbjfqhvn8e6e96lu4aad1t7ro14@4ax.com> at Sat, 25 Nov
2023 06:58:13, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes
>On Sun, 26 Nov 2023 14:46:37 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...

>>>Whoosh!
>>"Way, shape, or form". (Often used when only one would suffice.)
>
>Oh.
>Why did you spell it so strangely?

People tend to say it; written less often.

>Vaguely reminds me of Freffly posh, but with spelling errors.
>
>Anyway, it's just an emphatic NO.

OK. I just find it tautological, as it's archaic.

>Not sure where it fits in the post though, doesn't occur in the song.

It was used earlier in the thread. (No, it isn't in the song.)

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<fo9o$wzOa4YlFwuy@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19185&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19185

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:55:26 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 17:55 UTC

In message <ujvsn2$3b3pi$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22,
John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes
>On 26/11/2023 15:58, Wenlock wrote:
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)
>>>>
>> 0 >> (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>

>It does here.
>
>john
I see that line as
" , ,"

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<goM8N.745$aqP3.592@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19189&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19189

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 18:46:36 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 18:46 UTC

On 26-Nov-23 17:55, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <ujvsn2$3b3pi$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 26 Nov 2023 16:45:22,
> John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes

>>>  0 >>  (Does USENET do Cyrillic?)
>>>

>> It does here.
>>
>> john
> I see that line as
> "            ,           ,"

"Your Usenet client may vary."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Smart meters and pedantry

<l5e7mi94j0n0ik4bop0f6fptce5fvbunug@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19194&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19194

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:32:32 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 26 Nov 2023 21:32 UTC

<wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Kranj, kranj, ljubliche kranj! (Phonetically, from memory.)

>(Does USENET do Cyrillic?)

USENET does everything, including pictures and videos and programs and
more. Unfortunately text-only newsreaders, like mine, only work with a
limited range of character sets.

Nick