pension: A federally insured chain letter.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Thunderbird 115

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115krw
|+* Thunderbird 115J. P. Gilliver
||`- Thunderbird 115krw
|`* Thunderbird 115Kate B
| `* Thunderbird 115krw
|  `* Thunderbird 115Kate B
|   `- Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115Joe Kerr
|`- Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115Rosie Mitchell
|`* Thunderbird 115krw
| `* Thunderbird 115Rosie Mitchell
|  +- Thunderbird 115John Armstrong
|  `* Thunderbird 115Jenny M Benson
|   `* Thunderbird 115J. P. Gilliver
|    `- Thunderbird 115krw
`* Thunderbird 115krw
 +- Thunderbird 115Kate B
 +* Thunderbird 115Joe Kerr
 |`* Thunderbird 115Sam Plusnet
 | +- Thunderbird 115Vicky
 | `- Thunderbird 115Nick Odell
 `* Thunderbird 115krw
  `* Thunderbird 115Iain Archer
   `* Thunderbird 115krw
    +- Thunderbird 115krw
    `* Thunderbird 115Nick Odell
     `- Thunderbird 115krw

Pages:12
Thunderbird 115

<cg6dnTURT6eajPb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19334&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19334

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:12:08 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
Subject: Thunderbird 115
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:12 UTC

Good morning

This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.

Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<cg6dnTcRT6dsivb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19336&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19336

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:41:38 +0000
Subject: Re: Thunderbird 115
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:41 UTC

On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
> Good morning
>
> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>
> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!

OK. So far I have had to find out how to batter the menu bars into
submission. They came in the order 1 - 2 - 3.

I found a solution which allegedly put them in the preferred order (to
me) of 2 - 1 - 3 but after implementation has put them in the order of 2
- 3 - 1 - with which I am prepared to work.

Something funny happened when hitting the space bar automatically opened
up a reply - but restarting Thunderbird has put that right for now.

And there is something "wrong" aesthetically with the listing of
messages and emails - they are in the right order and the right group
but (and it is not obvious) the spacing / size / font style / something
has changed so is unsettling as it it does not look right - but I cannot
work what!

I think it is working - which is more than can be said for t'internet
last night when we were cut off and I had to exchange text messages with
a Plusnet bot who told me an Openreach engineer would be deployed. So
bots are ordering people around already.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<MEZL2gPEvxalFwPg@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19339&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19339

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:57:56 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 11:57 UTC

In message <cg6dnTcRT6dsivb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> at Sat, 2
Dec 2023 11:41:38, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes
>On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.

Can auto-update not even be turned off on recent versions?

>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from
>>me!

That post got through, obviously!
[]
>I think it is working - which is more than can be said for t'internet
>last night when we were cut off and I had to exchange text messages
>with a Plusnet bot who told me an Openreach engineer would be deployed.
>So bots are ordering people around already.

Unless you know to the contrary (e. g. you've had a message of the
"we've fixed it" variety), make sure you call them off - if they send an
engineer in response to a customer and can't find a fault, they do their
best to bill you (a huge amount). Depressing that bots might be
dispatching engineers - but I'm sure they're also capable of dispatching
bills.

.... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.

Re: Thunderbird 115

<kt0p66Fp93aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19342&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19342

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:19:04 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 13:19 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:41, krw wrote:
> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>
>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!
>>

> OK.  So far I have had to find out how to batter the menu bars into
> submission.  They came in the order 1 - 2 - 3.
>
> I found a solution which allegedly put them in the preferred order (to
> me) of 2 - 1 - 3 but after implementation has put them in the order of 2
> - 3 - 1 - with which I am prepared to work.
>
> Something funny happened when hitting the space bar automatically opened
> up a reply - but restarting Thunderbird has put that right for now.
>
> And there is something "wrong" aesthetically with the listing of
> messages and emails - they are in the right order and the right group
> but (and it is not obvious) the spacing / size / font style / something
> has changed so is unsettling as it it does not look right - but I cannot
> work what!
>
> I think it is working - which is more than can be said for t'internet
> last night when we were cut off and I had to exchange text messages with
> a Plusnet bot who told me an Openreach engineer would be deployed.  So
> bots are ordering people around already.

The layout seems to have less white space round the margins, so appears
fuller. I find the typeface easier to read, though, and quite like it.
The most annoying thing is that the 'Manually Sort Folders' add-in has
ceased to function - the guy who originally wrote it seems to be ready
to update it but Mozilla are inexplicably dragging their feet, even
though the threads on their forum complaining are legion.

--
Kate B

Re: Thunderbird 115

<ukfe0g$2cr58$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19345&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19345

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:12:31 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:12 UTC

On 02/12/2023 11:12, krw wrote:
> Good morning
>
> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.

FAB KRW

> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!

--
Ric

Re: Thunderbird 115

<rqmcnVbtKdB33vb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19346&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19346

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:49:15 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:49 UTC

On 2.12.23 11:57, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <cg6dnTcRT6dsivb4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> at Sat, 2
> Dec 2023 11:41:38, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes
>> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>>> Good morning
>>>  This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>
> Can auto-update not even be turned off on recent versions?
>
>>>  Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from
>>> me!
>>>
> That post got through, obviously!
> []
>> I think it is working - which is more than can be said for t'internet
>> last night when we were cut off and I had to exchange text messages
>> with a Plusnet bot who told me an Openreach engineer would be
>> deployed. So bots are ordering people around already.
>>
> Unless you know to the contrary (e. g. you've had a message of the
> "we've fixed it" variety), make sure you call them off - if they send an
> engineer in response to a customer and can't find a fault, they do their
> best to bill you (a huge amount). Depressing that bots might be
> dispatching engineers - but I'm sure they're also capable of dispatching
> bills.

The bot was a clever bot - it told me that they would not need access to
the house and I would not be disturbed.

It was fixed by the time we got up this morning and the engineer had not
needed access.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<rqmcnVHtKdBL2fb4nZ2dnZfqnPgAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19347&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19347

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:53:11 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 14:53 UTC

On 2.12.23 13:19, Kate B wrote:

> The layout seems to have less white space round the margins, so appears
> fuller. I find the typeface easier to read, though, and quite like it.
> The most annoying thing is that the 'Manually Sort Folders' add-in has
> ceased to function - the guy who originally wrote it seems to be ready
> to update it but Mozilla are inexplicably dragging their feet, even
> though the threads on their forum complaining are legion.

Luckily I had a major swap round of folders before my holiday and will
not need to change it for some time. I suspect with the underlying
re-writes to Thunderbird the add-on needs some larger than normal
changes. Hopefully it will be done by the time I need it.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<kt105qFp93aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19348&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19348

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:18:20 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 15:18 UTC

On 02/12/2023 14:53, krw wrote:
> On 2.12.23 13:19, Kate B wrote:
>>>
>> The layout seems to have less white space round the margins, so
>> appears fuller. I find the typeface easier to read, though, and quite
>> like it. The most annoying thing is that the 'Manually Sort Folders'
>> add-in has ceased to function - the guy who originally wrote it seems
>> to be ready to update it but Mozilla are inexplicably dragging their
>> feet, even though the threads on their forum complaining are legion.
>>

> Luckily I had a major swap round of folders before my holiday and will
> not need to change it for some time.  I suspect with the underlying
> re-writes to Thunderbird the add-on needs some larger than normal
> changes.  Hopefully it will be done by the time I need it.

When mine updated, the accounts remained where I'd put them, but the
internal sub-folders just went in TB's own stupid order: Inbox, Drafts,
Templates, Sent, Archive etc, and right at the bottom my own bespoke
filing folders in alphabetical order - since these are the ones I
obviously use most frequently I am thoroughly miffed and disorientated.

--
Kate B

Re: Thunderbird 115

<871qc41mh4.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19356&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19356

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 18:35:35 +0000
sha1:p2l2BnogNmFHoU3cY9ZIGR7MFME=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 18:35 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:

> Good morning
>
> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.

I never got past 5. Funny that.

Rosie

Re: Thunderbird 115

<0uqdnbv2_814Jvb4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19368&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19368

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:21:08 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:21 UTC

On 2.12.23 15:18, Kate B wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 14:53, krw wrote:
>> On 2.12.23 13:19, Kate B wrote:
>>>>
>>> The layout seems to have less white space round the margins, so
>>> appears fuller. I find the typeface easier to read, though, and quite
>>> like it. The most annoying thing is that the 'Manually Sort Folders'
>>> add-in has ceased to function - the guy who originally wrote it seems
>>> to be ready to update it but Mozilla are inexplicably dragging their
>>> feet, even though the threads on their forum complaining are legion.
>>>

>> Luckily I had a major swap round of folders before my holiday and will
>> not need to change it for some time.  I suspect with the underlying
>> re-writes to Thunderbird the add-on needs some larger than normal
>> changes.  Hopefully it will be done by the time I need it.
>>
> When mine updated, the accounts remained where I'd put them, but the
> internal sub-folders just went in TB's own stupid order: Inbox, Drafts,
> Templates, Sent, Archive etc, and right at the bottom my own bespoke
> filing folders in alphabetical order - since these are the ones I
> obviously use most frequently I am thoroughly miffed and disorientated.

Mine have all stayed in the same order as they were before upgrade - I
suspect that I have gone straight to 115.5.1 they have tweaked the code
not to change the order of the folders - but of course now yours are
"wrong" they cannot be re-ordered. That would be highly annoying.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<0uqdnbr2_82dIfb4nZ2dnZfqn_UAAAAA@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19369&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19369

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:21:36 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:21 UTC

On 2.12.23 14:12, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 02/12/2023 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>
> FAB KRW
>
>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!

:-))))))

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<0uqdnbX2_82AIfb4nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19370&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19370

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:22:05 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:22 UTC

On 2.12.23 18:35, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:
>
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>
> I never got past 5. Funny that.
>
> Rosie

Luckily they are all being repeated on TPTV at present.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<87jzpwyye0.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19372&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19372

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2023 23:31:51 +0000
sha1:TM5NkgqWiOdLxbEmB56xodzoRHw=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sat, 2 Dec 2023 23:31 UTC

krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:

> On 2.12.23 18:35, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:
>>
>>> Good morning
>>>
>>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>> I never got past 5. Funny that.
>> Rosie

> Luckily they are all being repeated on TPTV at present.

5 was a bit rubbish wasn't it? The space station IIRC.

I liked 4 best, the submersible, but it was hardly ever on.

Rosie

Re: Thunderbird 115

<kt2tgqFe21bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19374&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19374

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:45:14 +0000
 by: John Armstrong - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 08:45 UTC

On 02/12/2023 23:31, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:

>>> I never got past 5. Funny that.
>>> Rosie
>

>> Luckily they are all being repeated on TPTV at present.
>
> 5 was a bit rubbish wasn't it? The space station IIRC.
>
> I liked 4 best, the submersible, but it was hardly ever on.
>
> Rosie

That's because 4's jobs were usually subcontracted to Stingray.

Surface Agent X2 Zero was my hero!

I've just discovered I've now got T 115. Nobody told me.

Re: Thunderbird 115

<kt34tgFg72gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19376&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19376

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:51:28 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 10:51 UTC

On 02/12/2023 23:31, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:

>>> I never got past 5. Funny that.
>>> Rosie
>

>> Luckily they are all being repeated on TPTV at present.
>
> 5 was a bit rubbish wasn't it? The space station IIRC.
>
> I liked 4 best, the submersible, but it was hardly ever on.

Who did you like best? I liked Gordon (still do!) and felt it unfair
that he wasn't used as much as the others.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Thunderbird 115

<V4PNZZfY4JblFwnl@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19383&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19383

Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:26:16 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 15:26 UTC

In message <kt34tgFg72gU1@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 3 Dec 2023
10:51:28, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes
>On 02/12/2023 23:31, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> krw <krw@whitnet.uk> writes:

>>> Luckily they are all being repeated on TPTV at present.
>> 5 was a bit rubbish wasn't it? The space station IIRC.
>> I liked 4 best, the submersible, but it was hardly ever on.
>
>Who did you like best? I liked Gordon (still do!) and felt it unfair
>that he wasn't used as much as the others.

Lady Penelope, of course, if I'm not mixing up my series. (I came to
them later in life: at what I think are when they were initially on, I
was away from British TV.)

I admire him for the constancy of his curiosity, his effortless sense of
authority and his ability to deliver good science without gimmicks.
- Michael Palin on Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/5/7-13

Re: Thunderbird 115

<wR2cnYkjb48edu_4nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19473&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19473

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:10:09 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:10 UTC

On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
> Good morning
>
> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>
> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!

Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.

1. Greater evidence of getting a header but no content. Requires
restart of Thunderbird.

2. Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
possibly after the above "failed" download. So I am seeing messages
which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
which is allegedly from Mike. Total confusion rules.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<ktgauuFcg6tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19475&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19475

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:54:23 +0000
 by: Kate B - Fri, 8 Dec 2023 10:54 UTC

On 08/12/2023 10:10, krw wrote:
> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>
>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!
>>

> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>
> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
> restart of Thunderbird.
>
> 2.  Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
> possibly after the above "failed" download.  So I am seeing messages
> which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
> degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
> latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
> which is allegedly from Mike.  Total confusion rules.

That's odd and hasn't happened to me yet. What I did notice this morning
is that the email search is broken - when you're searching for a term in
one folder and there's nothing there, there is a direction to 'press
enter again to search all folders'. This doesn't seem to do anything any
more. I'll report it, for all the good it will do.

--
Kate B

Re: Thunderbird 115

<ul42ul$2kv6o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19516&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19516

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:12:35 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 10:12 UTC

On 08/12/2023 10:10, krw wrote:
> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>
>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!
>>

> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>
> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
> restart of Thunderbird.

I get that too but can normally resolve it by going to another message
and then back to the problem one. I think it is something to do with
Eternal September. This is only TB 91.

> 2.  Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
> possibly after the above "failed" download.  So I am seeing messages
> which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
> degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
> latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
> which is allegedly from Mike.  Total confusion rules.

Don't get that. If I accidentally double click on a message and it opens
in a large window I sometimes get a full set of headers downloaded with
the message body.

--
Ric

Re: Thunderbird 115

<GzodN.446$ogWb.285@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19537&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19537

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:45:41 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:45 UTC

On 10-Dec-23 10:12, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 08/12/2023 10:10, krw wrote:
>> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>>> Good morning
>>>
>>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>>
>>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!
>>>

>> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>>
>> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
>> restart of Thunderbird.
>>
> I get that too but can normally resolve it by going to another message
> and then back to the problem one. I think it is something to do with
> Eternal September. This is only TB 91.

I sometimes get a significant delay between clicking on the message
header[1] and the message body appearing. I assume that is because the
server is preoccupied and doesn't immediately deal with the request.

[1] On my setup, all new message headers are downloaded at the beginning
of a 'session', but message bodies are only downloaded when when I get
to that message.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Thunderbird 115

<nkccni1o6engchdr5bd7oefrr1k3lgqlo6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19544&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19544

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:56:34 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 21:56 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:45:41 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>I sometimes get a significant delay between clicking on the message
>header[1] and the message body appearing. I assume that is because the
>server is preoccupied and doesn't immediately deal with the request.
>
>[1] On my setup, all new message headers are downloaded at the beginning
>of a 'session', but message bodies are only downloaded when when I get
>to that message.
>
>--
>Sam Plusnet

Our phone changed this week from umbrella to new umbrella. Gransnet
did warm of likely internet outages but vodaphone said the little
wossit they sent us and their instructons would ensure all went
smoothly. They lied. There was much swearing and new bits of cable
found and also sent for and now we seem stable and b says wifi or
whatever now connects via our electricity but apparently some things
have a little delay while the system checks security. It didn't have
it before.

Re: Thunderbird 115

<kjdenit7keeagukk909b7ijqr414mpf8g6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19575&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19575

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:23:27 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 16:23 UTC

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 19:45:41 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 10-Dec-23 10:12, Joe Kerr wrote:

>>> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>>>
>>> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
>>> restart of Thunderbird.
>>>
>> I get that too but can normally resolve it by going to another message
>> and then back to the problem one. I think it is something to do with
>> Eternal September. This is only TB 91.
>
>I sometimes get a significant delay between clicking on the message
>header[1] and the message body appearing. I assume that is because the
>server is preoccupied and doesn't immediately deal with the request.
>
>[1] On my setup, all new message headers are downloaded at the beginning
>of a 'session', but message bodies are only downloaded when when I get
>to that message.

I am not using TB but for my own reasons (still having problems
downloading headers and messages to Agent via ES) I suspect ES is at
the very least a contributory factor. Can an news swerver run out of
bandwidth? ES, apart from providing text messages to the likes of you
and me is valiantly battling against the Great Google Groups Spam
Deluge and I can't imagine that's not causing problems with
bottlenecks and the like.

Nick

Re: Thunderbird 115

<Be2cnZmNs9ZpsuX4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19584&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19584

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:03:34 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:03 UTC

On 3.12.23 15:26, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <kt34tgFg72gU1@mid.individual.net> at Sun, 3 Dec 2023
> 10:51:28, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> writes

>>>  5 was a bit rubbish wasn't it? The space station IIRC.
>>>  I liked 4 best, the submersible, but it was hardly ever on.
>>
>> Who did you like best?  I liked Gordon (still do!) and felt it unfair
>> that he wasn't used as much as the others.
>>>

> Lady Penelope, of course, if I'm not mixing up my series. (I came to
> them later in life: at what I think are when they were initially on, I
> was away from British TV.)

Lady P of course. But Parker was good.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<Be2cnZiNs9YPreX4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19585&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19585

Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:06:12 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:06 UTC

On 8.12.23 10:10, krw wrote:
> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>> Good morning
>>
>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>
>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from me!
>>

> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>
> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
> restart of Thunderbird.
>
> 2.  Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
> possibly after the above "failed" download.  So I am seeing messages
> which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
> degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
> latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
> which is allegedly from Mike.  Total confusion rules.

It has become so bad that this morning I unsubscribed from umra and then
re-subscribed. I do not know what was wrong - but it was not like this
before.

I had two portable drives go u/s yesterday, cannot backup this PC and
the printer (which had just had all ink cartridges replaced) demanded
that I replace them all again.

I am not happy.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<ula6hb$3n9ev$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19590&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19590

From: ianews@montaigne.me.uk (Iain Archer)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:50:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Iain Archer - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:50 UTC

On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:06:12 +0000, krw wrote:

> On 8.12.23 10:10, krw wrote:
>> On 2.12.23 11:12, krw wrote:
>>> Good morning
>>>
>>> This morning with no warning I have arrived at Thunderbird 115.
>>>
>>> Consequently if it is as bad as earlier reports no-one may hear from
>>> me!
>>>

>> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>>
>> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
>> restart of Thunderbird.

I've had to put up with that for a few weeks, using Pan, due just to
protracted low bandwidth, lately mostly well below 1 Mb/s. Was really
missing Turnpike. Thankfully, repaired yesterday.

>> 2.  Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
>> possibly after the above "failed" download.  So I am seeing messages
>> which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
>> degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
>> latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
>> which is allegedly from Mike.  Total confusion rules.

For that fault I think I'd be first wondering about about a momentary system
glitch rather than software deficiencies.

> It has become so bad that this morning I unsubscribed from umra and then
> re-subscribed. I do not know what was wrong - but it was not like this
> before.
>
> I had two portable drives go u/s yesterday, cannot backup this PC and
> the printer (which had just had all ink cartridges replaced) demanded
> that I replace them all again.

Have you checked that they're getting sufficient power? I spent a couple of
days last week thinking I'd lost the portable drive I use for radio downloads.
It was always doing the repeated double clicks indicating seek failures.
Eventually I discovered that the USB hub it uses wasn't actually plugged
into the mains.

--
Iain