Minicomputer: A computer that can be afforded on the budget of a middle-level manager.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Thunderbird 115

SubjectAuthor
* Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115krw
|+* Thunderbird 115J. P. Gilliver
||`- Thunderbird 115krw
|`* Thunderbird 115Kate B
| `* Thunderbird 115krw
|  `* Thunderbird 115Kate B
|   `- Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115Joe Kerr
|`- Thunderbird 115krw
+* Thunderbird 115Rosie Mitchell
|`* Thunderbird 115krw
| `* Thunderbird 115Rosie Mitchell
|  +- Thunderbird 115John Armstrong
|  `* Thunderbird 115Jenny M Benson
|   `* Thunderbird 115J. P. Gilliver
|    `- Thunderbird 115krw
`* Thunderbird 115krw
 +- Thunderbird 115Kate B
 +* Thunderbird 115Joe Kerr
 |`* Thunderbird 115Sam Plusnet
 | +- Thunderbird 115Vicky
 | `- Thunderbird 115Nick Odell
 `* Thunderbird 115krw
  `* Thunderbird 115Iain Archer
   `* Thunderbird 115krw
    +- Thunderbird 115krw
    `* Thunderbird 115Nick Odell
     `- Thunderbird 115krw

Pages:12
Re: Thunderbird 115

<n66cnSknqPj-IeT4nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19595&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19595

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:14:58 +0000
Subject: Re: Thunderbird 115
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:14 UTC

On 12.12.23 17:50, Iain Archer wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2023 10:06:12 +0000, krw wrote:

>>> Greater usage as indicated some problems which appear to recur.
>>>
>>> 1.  Greater evidence of getting a header but no content.  Requires
>>> restart of Thunderbird.
>
> I've had to put up with that for a few weeks, using Pan, due just to
> protracted low bandwidth, lately mostly well below 1 Mb/s. Was really
> missing Turnpike. Thankfully, repaired yesterday.
>>>
>>> 2.  Evidence that header and content are from separate messages -
>>> possibly after the above "failed" download.  So I am seeing messages
>>> which are sent by Rosie timed yesterday at 23:18 (referring to 23
>>> degrees - I thought there were only 3) responding to a Mike posting on
>>> latitude timed at 18.47, but the Rosie post is actually twice one of
>>> which is allegedly from Mike.  Total confusion rules.
>>>
> For that fault I think I'd be first wondering about about a momentary system
> glitch rather than software deficiencies.
>>>
>> It has become so bad that this morning I unsubscribed from umra and then
>> re-subscribed. I do not know what was wrong - but it was not like this
>> before.

Since resubscribing the second problem has gone away. I don't think
bandwidth is a problem as since the last run in with Plusnet it usually
shows over 20Mb/s and sometimes 25 Mb/s.

>> I had two portable drives go u/s yesterday, cannot backup this PC and
>> the printer (which had just had all ink cartridges replaced) demanded
>> that I replace them all again.
>
> Have you checked that they're getting sufficient power? I spent a couple of
> days last week thinking I'd lost the portable drive I use for radio downloads.
> It was always doing the repeated double clicks indicating seek failures.
> Eventually I discovered that the USB hub it uses wasn't actually plugged
> into the mains.

One was plugged direct into the PC but I pulled it out with "ejecting" a
few days ago by accident and I think it has fried its electronics - very
annoying. The other one is an SSD I had not used for several years and
no excuse for not working.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<vFGdnQOcRfSveeT4nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19602&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19602

Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 17:04:49 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 17:04 UTC

On 13.12.23 14:14, krw wrote:
> On 12.12.23 17:50, Iain Archer wrote:

>> I've had to put up with that for a few weeks, using Pan, due just to
>> protracted low bandwidth, lately mostly well below 1 Mb/s.  Was really
>>   missing Turnpike.  Thankfully, repaired yesterday.

>> For that fault I think I'd be first wondering about about a momentary
>> system
>> glitch rather than software deficiencies.
>>>>
>>> It has become so bad that this morning I unsubscribed from umra and then
>>> re-subscribed.  I do not know what was wrong - but it was not like this
>>> before.
>
> Since resubscribing the second problem has gone away.  I don't think
> bandwidth is a problem as since the last run in with Plusnet it usually
> shows over 20Mb/s and sometimes 25 Mb/s.
>

>>> I had two portable drives go u/s yesterday, cannot backup this PC and
>>> the printer (which had just had all ink cartridges replaced) demanded
>>> that I replace them all again.
>>
>> Have you checked that they're getting sufficient power?  I spent a
>> couple of
>> days last week thinking I'd lost the portable drive I use for radio
>> downloads.
>> It was always doing the repeated double clicks indicating seek failures.
>> Eventually I discovered that the USB hub it uses wasn't actually plugged
>> into the mains.
>
> One was plugged direct into the PC but I pulled it out with "ejecting" a
> few days ago by accident and I think it has fried its electronics - very
> annoying.  The other one is an SSD I had not used for several years and
> no excuse for not working.
>

>>> I am not happy.

But happier now. Both of the portable drives are working again. I had
to give them each a drive letter but they are now fully working. So
slightly less miffed than before.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: Thunderbird 115

<ijujnip76ue2cnpvevoc8suqgq0h2m90fe@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19605&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19605

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:43:47 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:43 UTC

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:14:58 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>Since resubscribing the second problem has gone away. I don't think
>bandwidth is a problem as since the last run in with Plusnet it usually
>shows over 20Mb/s and sometimes 25 Mb/s.
<snip>
When I mentioned bandwidth up ^^^^ there somewhere, I was thinking
more of whether the Raspberry Pi - or whatever ES uses as a news
server these days - had the capacity to cope with all the instructions
with which it is probably being constantly deluged.

Nick

Re: Thunderbird 115

<tsmdnQ7zPJQfTOf4nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=19630&group=uk.media.radio.archers#19630

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:57:23 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: krw@whitnet.uk (krw)
 by: krw - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:57 UTC

On 13.12.23 18:43, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:14:58 +0000, krw <krw@whitnet.uk> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> Since resubscribing the second problem has gone away. I don't think
>> bandwidth is a problem as since the last run in with Plusnet it usually
>> shows over 20Mb/s and sometimes 25 Mb/s.
> <snip>
> When I mentioned bandwidth up ^^^^ there somewhere, I was thinking
> more of whether the Raspberry Pi - or whatever ES uses as a news
> server these days - had the capacity to cope with all the instructions
> with which it is probably being constantly deluged.
>
> Nick

Ah that makes more sense. I gather the new Pi 5 is a lot more powerful.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk