Okay ... I'm going home to write the "I HATE RUBIK's CUBE HANDBOOK FOR DEAD CAT LOVERS" ...

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

SubjectAuthor
* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Ian McCall
+- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?TimH
`* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
 +- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
 `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Joerg Lorenz
  `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Theo
   +* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Graeme Wall
   |`- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jörg_Lorenz
   `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
    +* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?John Hill
    |`* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
    | `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Mark
    |  `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
    |   +* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
    |   |`* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Sn!pe
    |   | `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
    |   |  `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jörg_Lorenz
    |   |   `- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
    |   `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Theo
    |    `- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
    `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?mechanic
     `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
      +* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?David Brooks
      |`* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?mechanic
      | `- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?David Brooks
      `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
       `* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
        +* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
        |`* Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Alan B
        | `- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?Jaimie Vandenbergh
        `- Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?David Brooks

Pages:12
Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<0001HW.2B29C80F006790A130A7FA38F@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20117&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20117

From: ian@eruvia.org (Ian McCall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:07:59 +0000
 by: Ian McCall - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:07 UTC

Youtube has completely stopped working for me in Safari. I want to say 100%,
but I’ll be kind and say 99%. I can’t believe this is as widespread as it
is for me or there would be some sort of online screaming going on, so I
suspect there’s something wrong just for me.

I normally run the following Safari Extensions:
- Wipr (ad-blocker)
- Vinegar (changes YouTube JS stuff into native HTML5 tags)

I can see how those might interfere, but even with those all turned off I
have the problem that the video simply won’t start playing. Meanwhile, I
use an excellent menu bar app called Floating which allows you to play
YouTube videos as floating windows with transparency control. Same video will
play in that 100% of the time, and also with no ads.

Here’s an example video:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyeI9hnQQqU>

This simply doesn’t play for me. Never starts. Starts immediately if I copy
the URL and select “Float from clipboard” in Floating.

(I also get problems getting anything to play in Reddit too, but that might
just be Reddit’s video player being utterly useless).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ktti7bFkeuiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20118&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20118

From: thnews@poboxmolar.com.invalid (TimH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 13 Dec 2023 11:18:03 GMT
 by: TimH - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 11:18 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 at 11:07:59 GMT, "Ian McCall" <ian@eruvia.org> wrote:

> Here’s an example video:
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyeI9hnQQqU>

Fine here, with ABP, Vinegar and StopTheMadness all on.
--
TimH
pull tooth to reply by email

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<kttsllFmtfjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20120&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20120

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 13 Dec 2023 14:16:21 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:16 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 at 11:07:59 GMT, "Ian McCall" <ian@eruvia.org> wrote:

> Youtube has completely stopped working for me in Safari. I want to say 100%,
> but I’ll be kind and say 99%. I can’t believe this is as widespread as it
> is for me or there would be some sort of online screaming going on, so I
> suspect there’s something wrong just for me.
>
> I normally run the following Safari Extensions:
> - Wipr (ad-blocker)

There we go. Short answer: Youtube is trying to force you to pay for
Premium or watch the ads.

Google/YT are running a blitz on adblockers, up to and including just
not working when it finds one. And soon, in Chrome and Chromium-based
browsers, preventing update by extensions quicker than one week in order
to make their fight easier.

uBlock Origin is working and more or less keeping up. They don't deliver
for Safari, but I've just tried a bunch of videos with 1blocker in
Safari and that seems to be working at the moment. Their faster updates
are behind a subscription though...

Cheers - Jaimie

--
Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of
producing random digits is, of course, in a state

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<kttu1oFn829U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20121&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20121

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 13 Dec 2023 14:39:52 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 14:39 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 at 14:16:21 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2023 at 11:07:59 GMT, "Ian McCall" <ian@eruvia.org> wrote:
>

>> Youtube has completely stopped working for me in Safari. I want to say 100%,
>> but I’ll be kind and say 99%. I can’t believe this is as widespread as it
>> is for me or there would be some sort of online screaming going on, so I
>> suspect there’s something wrong just for me.
>>
>> I normally run the following Safari Extensions:
>> - Wipr (ad-blocker)
>
> There we go. Short answer: Youtube is trying to force you to pay for
> Premium or watch the ads.

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/11/youtube-tries-to-kill-ad-blockers-in-push-for-ad-dollars-premium-subs/

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Communicating badly and then acting smug when
you're misunderstood is not cleverness.

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulclou$tn33$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20122&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20122

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Joerg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 17:22:54 +0100
 by: Joerg Lorenz - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:22 UTC

On 13.12.23 15:16, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 13 Dec 2023 at 11:07:59 GMT, "Ian McCall" <ian@eruvia.org> wrote:
>

>> Youtube has completely stopped working for me in Safari. I want to say 100%,
>> but I’ll be kind and say 99%. I can’t believe this is as widespread as it
>> is for me or there would be some sort of online screaming going on, so I
>> suspect there’s something wrong just for me.
>>
>> I normally run the following Safari Extensions:
>> - Wipr (ad-blocker)
>
> There we go. Short answer: Youtube is trying to force you to pay for
> Premium or watch the ads.
>
> Google/YT are running a blitz on adblockers, up to and including just
> not working when it finds one. And soon, in Chrome and Chromium-based
> browsers, preventing update by extensions quicker than one week in order
> to make their fight easier.
>
> uBlock Origin is working and more or less keeping up. They don't deliver
> for Safari, but I've just tried a bunch of videos with 1blocker in
> Safari and that seems to be working at the moment. Their faster updates
> are behind a subscription though...

Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<YQE*f1Nxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20123&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20123

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 13 Dec 2023 18:16:54 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:16 UTC

Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
> uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.

It does for me. However it's a cat and mouse game, and apparently YT are
changing their website several times a day so the adblockers have to work
hard to keep up. So there can be times where ads appear for a while until
the blocking catches up.

Meanwhile, Google have a delaying tactic up their sleeve:
https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/12/chromes-next-weapon-in-the-war-on-ad-blockers-slower-extension-updates/

Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.

Theo

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulct0m$uvkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20124&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20124

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:26:30 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 18:26 UTC

On 13/12/2023 18:16, Theo wrote:
> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
>> uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.
>
> It does for me. However it's a cat and mouse game, and apparently YT are
> changing their website several times a day so the adblockers have to work
> hard to keep up. So there can be times where ads appear for a while until
> the blocking catches up.
>
> Meanwhile, Google have a delaying tactic up their sleeve:
> https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/12/chromes-next-weapon-in-the-war-on-ad-blockers-slower-extension-updates/
>
> Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.

Bargepoles come to mind!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<uld6pa$10j3l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20125&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20125

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 22:13:14 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 21:13 UTC

Am 13.12.23 um 19:26 schrieb Graeme Wall:
> On 13/12/2023 18:16, Theo wrote:
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
>>> uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.
>>
>> It does for me. However it's a cat and mouse game, and apparently YT are
>> changing their website several times a day so the adblockers have to work
>> hard to keep up. So there can be times where ads appear for a while until
>> the blocking catches up.
>>
>> Meanwhile, Google have a delaying tactic up their sleeve:
>> https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/12/chromes-next-weapon-in-the-war-on-ad-blockers-slower-extension-updates/
>>
>> Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.
>>

> Bargepoles come to mind!

I do not touch Chrome with pincers.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ktuslfFtliiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20126&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20126

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 13 Dec 2023 23:22:23 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 23:22 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 at 18:16:54 GMT, "Theo"
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
>> uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.

Then you should probably fix your setup.

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/184fivk/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_november_26_2023_mega/

> Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.

Aye. I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional
failover. Chrome I have occasionally installed for those "chrome only"
sites and webapps, but I've not actually needed it for several years
now.

Why not Chrome? Because it's the browser by the worlds's biggest
advertising company. How would that ever be a good choice?

Cheers - Jaimie

--
....there should be a feature added to the RAID 0 standard
stating that if anyone selects RAID 0 as an option, they

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulechr$1a3bk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20128&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20128

From: watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk (John Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:57:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Hill - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 07:57 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 at 23:22:23 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
<jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2023 at 18:16:54 GMT, "Theo"
> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Joerg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
>>> Nonsense. Use FF with *AdBlocker for YouTube™*.
>>> uBlockj Origin does not block Ads in Youtube.
>
> Then you should probably fix your setup.
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/184fivk/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_november_26_2023_mega/
>
>> Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.
>
> Aye. I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional
> failover. Chrome I have occasionally installed for those "chrome only"
> sites and webapps, but I've not actually needed it for several years
> now.
>
> Why not Chrome? Because it's the browser by the worlds's biggest
> advertising company. How would that ever be a good choice?
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Interestingt that nobody has mentioned Arc. I've been experimenting with it,
and find it rather refreshing - so much so that I seem to be transitioning
over to it as default.

YMMV

Though I believe it uses the same engine as Chrome…

John.

--
You're not an old dog until you can't learn new tricks.

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulegrf$1ao74$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20131&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20131

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:11:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 09:11 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 07:57:47 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2023 at 23:22:23 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2023 at 18:16:54 GMT, "Theo"
>> <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>> Then you should probably fix your setup.
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/184fivk/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_november_26_2023_mega/
>>
>>> Moral of the story: use Firefox or Safari, not Chrome.
>>
>> Aye. I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional
>> failover. Chrome I have occasionally installed for those "chrome only"
>> sites and webapps, but I've not actually needed it for several years
>> now.
>>
>> Why not Chrome? Because it's the browser by the worlds's biggest
>> advertising company. How would that ever be a good choice?
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Interestingt that nobody has mentioned Arc. I've been experimenting with it,
> and find it rather refreshing - so much so that I seem to be transitioning
> over to it as default.

Yes it shows promise but I've rather neglected using it for many months now. I
tend to use Safai and Brave these days on macOS and Firefox on Linux. Doesn't
Arc use the open source Chromium engine on which may other browsers such as
Chrome, MS Edge and even Brave utilise?

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulekgg$1bct5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20133&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20133

From: captain.black@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:13:36 +0000
 by: Mark - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:13 UTC

On 2023-12-14 09:11:11 +0000, Alan B said:

> On 14 Dec 2023 at 07:57:47 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2023 at 23:22:23 GMT, "Jaimie Vandenbergh"
>> <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Then you should probably fix your setup.
>>>
>>> https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/184fivk/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_november_26_2023_mega/

>>> Aye. I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional
>>> failover. Chrome I have occasionally installed for those "chrome only"
>>> sites and webapps, but I've not actually needed it for several years
>>> now.
>>>
>>> Why not Chrome? Because it's the browser by the worlds's biggest
>>> advertising company. How would that ever be a good choice?
>>>
>>> Cheers - Jaimie
>>
>> Interestingt that nobody has mentioned Arc. I've been experimenting with it,
>> and find it rather refreshing - so much so that I seem to be transitioning
>> over to it as default.
>
> Yes it shows promise but I've rather neglected using it for many months now. I
> tend to use Safai and Brave these days on macOS and Firefox on Linux. Doesn't
> Arc use the open source Chromium engine on which may other browsers such as
> Chrome, MS Edge and even Brave utilise?

A lot of prople on a certain Reddit Sub seem to be using Brave to get
round this (and the 'sub to Premium in xxx country' thing seems to
still work for some countries too).
--
Cheers ... Mark

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ku069qF8c0vU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20135&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20135

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 14 Dec 2023 11:12:58 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 11:12 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 10:13:36 GMT, "Mark" <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2023-12-14 09:11:11 +0000, Alan B said:
>
>> On 14 Dec 2023 at 07:57:47 GMT, "John Hill" <watcombeman@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Interestingt that nobody has mentioned Arc. I've been experimenting with it,
>>> and find it rather refreshing - so much so that I seem to be transitioning
>>> over to it as default.

I used it for a couple of weeks but I didn't really gel with its idea of
how to do things. I like my browsers to just be a window with a website
in, with a sidebar for lots of tabs. Arc - at least during the
onboarding phase where it's trying to show off how clever and different
it is - is too busy to suit me.

>> Yes it shows promise but I've rather neglected using it for many months now. I
>> tend to use Safai and Brave these days on macOS and Firefox on Linux. Doesn't
>> Arc use the open source Chromium engine on which may other browsers such as
>> Chrome, MS Edge and even Brave utilise?
>
> A lot of prople on a certain Reddit Sub seem to be using Brave to get
> round this (and the 'sub to Premium in xxx country' thing seems to
> still work for some countries too).

I dislike Brave for its cryptocurrency support. Anything that encourages
that family of pyramid schemes is intellectually bankrupt and can't be
trusted to be doing the right thing in other respects. Shows an
inability to think of second-order effects of design.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Amiga 1000

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<alanrichardbarker-FB597C.12314414122023@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20137&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20137

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:31:44 +0000
 by: Alan B - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:31 UTC

In article <ku069qF8c0vU1@mid.individual.net>,
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

> I dislike Brave for its cryptocurrency support. Anything that encourages
> that family of pyramid schemes is intellectually bankrupt and can't be
> trusted to be doing the right thing in other respects. Shows an
> inability to think of second-order effects of design.

So what would you recommend as an alternative? Maybe I should just stick
with Safari, although it's useful to have something else available.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<XQE*-cTxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20140&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20140

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 14 Dec 2023 18:01:33 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 18:01 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2023 at 10:13:36 GMT, "Mark" <captain.black@gmail.com> wrote:

We'll see what happens with the Manifest v3 changes in Chromium (the feature
where Google cripple adblockers): whether the alternative browsers will
continue maintaining Manifest v2 so the adblockers keep working. There is a
huge amount of churn in Chromium so it's possible the alternatives may not
be able to keep it in sync.

(Also, we may need an alternative Manifest v2 extension store which somebody
will have to build)

> > A lot of prople on a certain Reddit Sub seem to be using Brave to get
> > round this (and the 'sub to Premium in xxx country' thing seems to
> > still work for some countries too).
>
> I dislike Brave for its cryptocurrency support. Anything that encourages
> that family of pyramid schemes is intellectually bankrupt and can't be
> trusted to be doing the right thing in other respects. Shows an
> inability to think of second-order effects of design.

They had a good idea: track which websites you use and enable sending
anonymous micro-donations to the website owners, which used crypto for
anonymisation purposes. Then they made funding the donations too hard (you
had to set up an account with a crypto bank, with all the KYC stuff to some
crypto company you'd never heard of). And the alternative to generating
funding was to be shown their own ads, which all turned out to be
advertising crypto scams.

I guess crypto is what the VCs were interested in, and so who pays the
piper...

Theo

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<1qlquam.18mrh8l1fjvo4qN%snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20141&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20141

From: snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid (Sn!pe)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:35:46 +0000
References: <0001HW.2B29C80F006790A130A7FA38F@news.individual.net> <kttsllFmtfjU1@mid.individual.net> <ulclou$tn33$1@dont-email.me> <YQE*f1Nxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <ktuslfFtliiU1@mid.individual.net> <ulechr$1a3bk$1@dont-email.me> <ulegrf$1ao74$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org> <ulekgg$1bct5$1@dont-email.me> <ku069qF8c0vU1@mid.individual.net> <alanrichardbarker-FB597C.12314414122023@news.eternal-september.org>
This article comprises only my personal opinions unless otherwise stated.
May contain traces of nuts.
 by: Sn!pe - Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:35 UTC

Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> In article <ku069qF8c0vU1@mid.individual.net>,
> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> >
> > I dislike Brave for its cryptocurrency support. Anything that encourages
> > that family of pyramid schemes is intellectually bankrupt and can't be
> > trusted to be doing the right thing in other respects. Shows an
> > inability to think of second-order effects of design.
>
> So what would you recommend as an alternative? Maybe I should just stick
> with Safari, although it's useful to have something else available.

My choice: Safari as primary (for its system integration);
Opera as alternative (for no particular reason).

--
^Ï^. Sn!pe, PA, FIBS - Professional Crastinator
<snipeco.1@gmail.com>

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ku23b4FktdcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20148&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20148

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 15 Dec 2023 04:34:44 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 04:34 UTC

On 14 Dec 2023 at 18:01:33 GMT, "Theo"
<theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

> We'll see what happens with the Manifest v3 changes in Chromium (the feature
> where Google cripple adblockers): whether the alternative browsers will
> continue maintaining Manifest v2 so the adblockers keep working. There is a
> huge amount of churn in Chromium so it's possible the alternatives may not
> be able to keep it in sync.
>
> (Also, we may need an alternative Manifest v2 extension store which somebody
> will have to build)

Mozilla have said they'll keep Manifest v2 active, and while they'll
also support v3 they'll *crucially* not include the shitty delay in
extensions updates that Google are forcing to hamstring adblockers.

So I'll continue to use Firefox as my primary browser. Well into my
second decade of that now.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"For our younger readers - books are hardened bits
of the internet that have fallen off."

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulh4oq$1rd2q$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20157&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20157

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:03:22 -0000 (UTC)
<1qlquam.18mrh8l1fjvo4qN%snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid>
 by: Alan B - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:03 UTC

Sn!pe <snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid> wrote:
> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <ku069qF8c0vU1@mid.individual.net>,
>> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I dislike Brave for its cryptocurrency support. Anything that encourages
>>> that family of pyramid schemes is intellectually bankrupt and can't be
>>> trusted to be doing the right thing in other respects. Shows an
>>> inability to think of second-order effects of design.
>>
>> So what would you recommend as an alternative? Maybe I should just stick
>> with Safari, although it's useful to have something else available.
>
> My choice: Safari as primary (for its system integration);
> Opera as alternative (for no particular reason).

I used to use FF as my secondary browser but allowed myself to be
distracted by the likes of Brave. There was/is nothing particularly wrong
with FF so I’ll go back to using it. At least I will be able to keep its
settings in step with the Linux version I already use.

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulh61j$1ri4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20158&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20158

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 10:25:07 +0100
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:25 UTC

Am 15.12.23 um 10:03 schrieb Alan B:
> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid> wrote:
>> Alan B <alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> So what would you recommend as an alternative? Maybe I should just stick
>>> with Safari, although it's useful to have something else available.
>>
>> My choice: Safari as primary (for its system integration);
>> Opera as alternative (for no particular reason).
>
> I used to use FF as my secondary browser but allowed myself to be
> distracted by the likes of Brave. There was/is nothing particularly wrong
> with FF so I’ll go back to using it. At least I will be able to keep its
> settings in step with the Linux version I already use.

There is a reason why the TOR-project uses Firefox as base for its
browser. The versatilty and the privacy options of Firefox are unmatched
by any other browser.

--
"Gutta cavat lapidem." (Ovid)

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulh7ng$1rr5r$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20159&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20159

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:53:52 -0000 (UTC)
<1qlquam.18mrh8l1fjvo4qN%snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid>
<ulh4oq$1rd2q$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>
<ulh61j$1ri4m$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Alan B - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 09:53 UTC

Jörg Lorenz <hugybear@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am 15.12.23 um 10:03 schrieb Alan B:
>> Sn!pe <snipeco.2@Use.Reply-To.Address.invalid> wrote:

>>> My choice: Safari as primary (for its system integration);
>>> Opera as alternative (for no particular reason).
>>
>> I used to use FF as my secondary browser but allowed myself to be
>> distracted by the likes of Brave. There was/is nothing particularly wrong
>> with FF so I’ll go back to using it. At least I will be able to keep its
>> settings in step with the Linux version I already use.
>
> There is a reason why the TOR-project uses Firefox as base for its
> browser. The versatilty and the privacy options of Firefox are unmatched
> by any other browser.

As used by the Lady of Shallot? (Yes I know I’ve misspelled it ;-) )

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulhfeq$1sore$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20162&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20162

From: mechanic@example.net (mechanic)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:05:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: mechanic - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:05 UTC

On 13 Dec 2023 23:22:23 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional failover.

Yes, that works for me too. Safari always seems undeveloped, no attention
to user needs. UNfortunatley here the HMRC wesbsite doesn't work with
Firefox, so having Safari as backup is essential (hard to remove anyway as
it's built into the Macos system).

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ku30qeFrov9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20164&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20164

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 15 Dec 2023 12:57:50 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 12:57 UTC

On 15 Dec 2023 at 12:05:46 GMT, "mechanic" <mechanic@example.net> wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2023 23:22:23 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>
>> I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional failover.
>
> Yes, that works for me too. Safari always seems undeveloped, no attention
> to user needs. UNfortunatley here the HMRC wesbsite doesn't work with
> Firefox, so having Safari as backup is essential (hard to remove anyway as
> it's built into the Macos system).

Odd about HMRC - not that I spend much time in it, but the things I do
all work in Firefox.

Ah, consistency!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use
as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<2R1fN.12071$Do46.8626@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20174&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20174

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: boaterdavetj@btinternet.com (David Brooks)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:32:14 +0000
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 19:32 UTC

On 15/12/2023 12:57, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2023 at 12:05:46 GMT, "mechanic" <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2023 23:22:23 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>
>>> I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional failover.
>>
>> Yes, that works for me too. Safari always seems undeveloped, no attention
>> to user needs. UNfortunatley here the HMRC wesbsite doesn't work with
>> Firefox, so having Safari as backup is essential (hard to remove anyway as
>> it's built into the Macos system).
>
> Odd about HMRC - not that I spend much time in it, but the things I do
> all work in Firefox.

HMRC works just fine in Firefox!

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs

> Ah, consistency!
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ulic67$21sqp$1@alanrichardbarker.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20176&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20176

From: alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid (Alan B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:16:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Alan B - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 20:16 UTC

Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 15 Dec 2023 at 12:05:46 GMT, "mechanic" <mechanic@example.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2023 23:22:23 GMT, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>
>>> I use Firefox as primary and Safari as the very occasional failover.
>>
>> Yes, that works for me too. Safari always seems undeveloped, no attention
>> to user needs. UNfortunatley here the HMRC wesbsite doesn't work with
>> Firefox, so having Safari as backup is essential (hard to remove anyway as
>> it's built into the Macos system).
>
> Odd about HMRC - not that I spend much time in it, but the things I do
> all work in Firefox.

Just re-installed FF and no problem with the HMRC site here too. In the
midst of a battle with them over allegedly unpaid tax but that’s most
definitely OT !

--
Cheers, Alan

Re: Youtube completely broken for me - anyone able to use it?

<ku42jgF477iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20178&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#20178

From: jaimie@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: 15 Dec 2023 22:34:24 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 22:34 UTC

On 15 Dec 2023 at 20:16:07 GMT, "Alan B"
<alanrichardbarker@gmail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:

>>> Yes, that works for me too. Safari always seems undeveloped, no attention
>>> to user needs. UNfortunatley here the HMRC wesbsite doesn't work with
>>> Firefox, so having Safari as backup is essential (hard to remove anyway as
>>> it's built into the Macos system).
>>
>> Odd about HMRC - not that I spend much time in it, but the things I do
>> all work in Firefox.
>
> Just re-installed FF and no problem with the HMRC site here too. In the
> midst of a battle with them over allegedly unpaid tax but that’s most
> definitely OT !

Ugh. About 2017 I had them spuriously invent a theoretical employee of
my not-actually-being-used company, then they preemptively charged me
PAYE on their theoretical wage since I wasn't declaring it myself. I
mean, what the heck?

They completely denied that they'd made it up; but they also said that
it hadn't come from my own company statements or anything else they
could find.

That took a while to sort out. They eventually sent a forensic
accountancy auditor round, I showed him my bank statements (zero
transactions apart from bank charges and accounting fees for several
years) and he rolled his eyes and I never heard about it again.

Anyway, so I used the company funds to award myself a very nice iMac Pro
as a little treat in getting that done. On topic again :D

Cheers - Jaimie
--
You can't get a leopard to change his spots. In fact, you
can't /really/ get a leopard to appreciate the notion that