Don't try to have the last word -- you might get it. -- Lazarus Long

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: Hogmanay

SubjectAuthor
* HogmanayRosie Mitchell
+* HogmanayJenny M Benson
|+* HogmanayMike McMillan
||`* HogmanayRosie Mitchell
|| `* HogmanayPenny
||  +* HogmanayJ. P. Gilliver
||  |+* HogmanayRosie Mitchell
||  ||`- HogmanayWenlock
||  |`* HogmanayMike McMillan
||  | +- HogmanayJohn Ashby
||  | `* HogmanayJohn Armstrong
||  |  +- HogmanayJ. P. Gilliver
||  |  `- HogmanaySam Plusnet
||  `* HogmanayVicky
||   `* HogmanaySally Thompson
||    `- HogmanayVicky
|`* HogmanayVicky
| +* HogmanayJ. P. Gilliver
| |`- HogmanayChris
| `* HogmanayChris
|  `- HogmanayBrritSki
+- HogmanayVicky
+- HogmanaySam Plusnet
+* HogmanayJohn Ashby
|`- HogmanayJ. P. Gilliver
`* HogmanayJane Vernon
 `* HogmanayBrritSki
  `- HogmanayJ. P. Gilliver

Pages:12
Re: Hogmanay

<kvso0hF6q7uU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20510&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20510

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Hogmanay
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:23:14 +0000
 by: Jane Vernon - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:23 UTC

On 31/12/2023 17:38, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> Happy Hogmanay, MOPMOBs. Try not to overdoe the whisky and especially
> not the clootie dumpling. I got into a mess with that on my first
> Scottish Hogmanay, in 1988/89. Gosh, that was half my lifetime ago, near
> as dammit!
>
> As I approach my 70th turnover of the year, I find it that little bit
> more mundane every time. Pah! Another one!
>
> And no falling off any roofs (interpret that how you wish). I'm advised
> that the modish expression for the moment any serial in any medium
> turned silly is "jumping the shark". I suggest the umratic equivalent
> should be "falling off the roof". Just don't. ok!
>
> May the year of 2024 bring you what you wish for.
>

> Rosie

Oh, hear hear! And brava! (I still can't tell when it's correct to
write bravo or brava.)

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: Hogmanay

<kvspffF6mucU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20512&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20512

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:48:16 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:48 UTC

On 06/01/2024 10:23, Jane Vernon wrote:
> On 31/12/2023 17:38, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> Happy Hogmanay, MOPMOBs. Try not to overdoe the whisky and especially
>> not the clootie dumpling. I got into a mess with that on my first
>> Scottish Hogmanay, in 1988/89. Gosh, that was half my lifetime ago, near
>> as dammit!
>>
>> As I approach my 70th turnover of the year, I find it that little bit
>> more mundane every time. Pah! Another one!
>>
>> And no falling off any roofs (interpret that how you wish). I'm advised
>> that the modish expression for the moment any serial in any medium
>> turned silly is "jumping the shark". I suggest the umratic equivalent
>> should be "falling off the roof". Just don't. ok!
>>
>> May the year of 2024 bring you what you wish for.
>>

>> Rosie
>>

> Oh, hear hear!  And brava!  (I still can't tell when it's correct to
> write bravo or brava.)

In Italian you would make the distinction and also say bravi for many
people. Not sure I'd do that in English though...

Re: Hogmanay

<+rrbQL9PwXmlFwqS@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20528&group=uk.media.radio.archers#20528

Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:13:03 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:13 UTC

In message <kvspffF6mucU2@mid.individual.net> at Sat, 6 Jan 2024
10:48:16, BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> writes
>On 06/01/2024 10:23, Jane Vernon wrote:
>> On 31/12/2023 17:38, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
[]
>>> May the year of 2024 bring you what you wish for.

(And from me.)

>>> Rosie
>>>

>> Oh, hear hear!  And brava!  (I still can't tell when it's correct to
>>write bravo or brava.)

In general, it's the gender of the person being applauded ...

>In Italian you would make the distinction and also say bravi for many
>people. Not sure I'd do that in English though...

.... though I hadn't come across the plural version before, which indeed
makes sense. Though I think I agree I'd probably not do it in English
(especially as I didn't know of it until now!).

I would have written you a shorter letter but I didn't have the time.
- Blaise Pascal in Lettres Provinciales