Is that really YOU that is reading this?

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

SubjectAuthor
* RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Bikerwessie
+- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerTim
+- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerSimon Wilson
+* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerChamp
|`* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Bikerwessie
| +- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerPete Fisher
| `* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerAce
|  `- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Bikerwessie
`* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerGeoffC
 `* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerBruce Horrocks
  `* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikergeoffC
   +* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Bikersweller
   |+* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Bikerwessie
   ||`* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerBoots
   || `- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerTim
   |`- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerGeoffC
   +* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerChamp
   |`- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerYTC#1
   +- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerBruce Horrocks
   +* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerTurby
   |`* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerGeoffC
   | `* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerTurby
   |  `- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerGeoffC
   `* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerSimon Wilson
    +* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerChamp
    |+* Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerAce
    ||`- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerTurby
    |`- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerMike Fleming
    +- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerBoots
    `- Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy BikerYTC#1

Pages:12
RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<XnsB1277515C8EB8wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20801&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20801

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30 UTC

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66

Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
on a bike again.

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<urptik$h4ef$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20802&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20802

From: nobody@home.co.uk (Tim)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:33:23 +0000
 by: Tim - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 12:33 UTC

On 29/02/2024 11:30, wessie wrote:
> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66
>
> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
> on a bike again.

+1

They managed to get a nice range of bikes and recipes over the years.

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<l4bepoFbm3aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20803&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20803

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (Simon Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:23:05 +0000
 by: Simon Wilson - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 13:23 UTC

On 29/02/2024 11:30, wessie wrote:
> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66
>
> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
> on a bike again.

Just saw this.

Bummer.

--
/Simon

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<0c71uipg6m4d0mrhflsk9l7vqb190v9f5j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20809&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20809

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:09:27 +0000
 by: Champ - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:09 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66
>
>Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
>last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
>on a bike again.

That is sad. I was never a huge fan of the shows (too much cooking
and food, not enough bikes) but I did enjoy the travel aspect of the
recent mediterranean tour. I also watched the one post-cancer
diagnosis and treatment, which was genuinely moving and showed the
depth and significance of their friendship. I had hoped that making
that meant he was in remission
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<XnsB127A8C3FC222wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20811&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20811

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:35:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:35 UTC

Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in

> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-mye
>>rs-dies-at-66
>>
>>Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
>>last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
>>on a bike again.
>
> That is sad. I was never a huge fan of the shows (too much cooking
> and food, not enough bikes) but I did enjoy the travel aspect of the
> recent mediterranean tour. I also watched the one post-cancer
> diagnosis and treatment, which was genuinely moving and showed the
> depth and significance of their friendship. I had hoped that making
> that meant he was in remission

I think it was more a case of stopping the treatment that was killing him
and have some time to see if he could get fit to ride a bike a gain. He
seemed to do that quite successfully and had one last adventure with his
mate, revisiting favourite places and riding a bike.

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<l4bukkFdvtuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20814&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20814

From: peter@ps-fisher.demon.co.uk (Pete Fisher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:53:24 +0000
 by: Pete Fisher - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 17:53 UTC

On 29/02/2024 16:35, wessie wrote:
> Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 11:30:35 -0000 (UTC), wessie
>> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-mye
>>> rs-dies-at-66
>>>
>>> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
>>> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
>>> on a bike again.
>>
>> That is sad. I was never a huge fan of the shows (too much cooking
>> and food, not enough bikes) but I did enjoy the travel aspect of the
>> recent mediterranean tour. I also watched the one post-cancer
>> diagnosis and treatment, which was genuinely moving and showed the
>> depth and significance of their friendship. I had hoped that making
>> that meant he was in remission
>
> I think it was more a case of stopping the treatment that was killing him
> and have some time to see if he could get fit to ride a bike a gain. He
> seemed to do that quite successfully and had one last adventure with his
> mate, revisiting favourite places and riding a bike.

Seems that may well have been the case.

I visited an old pal of 50 years while I was in Spain. He has residency
now, but has to come back to the UK every 8 weeks for maintenance
treatment for non-hodgkins lymphoma. His original course of chemo was as
gruelling as Dave Myers experience by the sound of it. He was able to
get fit enough to ride a bike again though and fortunately so far is
staying that way. Talking to him certainly underlined the value of a
carpe diem approach to life.

--
Moto Morini 2C/375
Gilera 175 Sport, Husqvarna 401 Svartpilen

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<urql83$otiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20815&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20815

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:17:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 19:17 UTC

wessie wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66

> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
> on a bike again.

+1
Yes I enjoy their programmes too, glorious accents the both of them.
RIP

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<1h42uida5rbla28f1tk3fiulrojtema0n9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20816&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20816

From: Ace@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2024 00:27:47 +0100
 by: Ace - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 23:27 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:35:25 -0000 (UTC), wessie
<willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:

>Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in

>> I also watched the one post-cancer
>> diagnosis and treatment, which was genuinely moving and showed the
>> depth and significance of their friendship. I had hoped that making
>> that meant he was in remission
>
>I think it was more a case of stopping the treatment that was killing him
>and have some time to see if he could get fit to ride a bike a gain. He
>seemed to do that quite successfully and had one last adventure with his
>mate, revisiting favourite places and riding a bike.

Yes, that was how I read it too, the whols last series was really
about him getting to all those things that had made his life so
special for one last fling.

Unlike Champ I also (or mainly, even) appreciated a lot of their
cooking - we use more that a couple of their recipes, suitably
adapted, in our repertoire.
--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<XnsB128609128FABwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20821&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20821

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:29:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 09:29 UTC

Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:35:25 -0000 (UTC), wessie
> <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
>
>>Champ <neal@champ.org.uk> wrote in
>
>>> I also watched the one post-cancer
>>> diagnosis and treatment, which was genuinely moving and showed the
>>> depth and significance of their friendship. I had hoped that making
>>> that meant he was in remission
>>
>>I think it was more a case of stopping the treatment that was killing
>>him and have some time to see if he could get fit to ride a bike a
>>gain. He seemed to do that quite successfully and had one last
>>adventure with his mate, revisiting favourite places and riding a
>>bike.
>
> Yes, that was how I read it too, the whols last series was really
> about him getting to all those things that had made his life so
> special for one last fling.
>
> Unlike Champ I also (or mainly, even) appreciated a lot of their
> cooking - we use more that a couple of their recipes, suitably
> adapted, in our repertoire.

Yes, I enjoy the cooking element as it is not just recipes but a
celebration of using local ingredients. I like the way they meet artisanal
food producers and get into the socio-economic importance of that produce
to a specific area.

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<66600db7-35f1-4066-9d9b-493d3ad140ac@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20824&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20824

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:28:49 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 15:28 UTC

On 29/02/2024 19:17, GeoffC wrote:
> wessie wrote:
>

> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66
>>
>> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
>> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
>> on a bike again.
>
> +1
> Yes I enjoy their programmes too, glorious accents the both of them.

They have accents?

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<urt83q$1cpjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20825&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20825

From: me@home.nl (geoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:51:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: geoffC - Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:51 UTC

On 01/03/2024 16:28, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>On 29/02/2024 19:17, GeoffC wrote:
>> wessie wrote:
>>

>> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66
>>>
>>> Sad to hear this. I have been enjoying the new series on BBC filmed
>>> last year. It was nice that he rallied for a while so he could get
>>> on a bike again.
>>
>> +1
>> Yes I enjoy their programmes too, glorious accents the both of them.
>
>They have accents?

Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
A Quick poll: What is your favourite
/least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

--
Geoff
NTV 650

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<l4g11uF2iv9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20829&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20829

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 2 Mar 2024 06:59:10 GMT
 by: sweller - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 06:59 UTC

geoffC wrote:

> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
> accents pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

I don't have a favourite or any that I dislike. I have colleagues from
the NE that are difficult to understand, others from the West Midlands
(Babs...), West Country, all over and all are fine to me. It's just
how it is.

However, put on regional accents grate. Especially if it's for
"authenticity". Yes, Richard B*rgon I'm looking at you...

--
Simon

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<XnsB1295DEE569DAwtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20830&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20830

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:14:00 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 09:14 UTC

"sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:l4g11uF2iv9U1
@mid.individual.net:

> geoffC wrote:
>
>> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
>> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
>> accents pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
>
> I don't have a favourite or any that I dislike. I have colleagues from
> the NE that are difficult to understand, others from the West Midlands
> (Babs...), West Country, all over and all are fine to me. It's just
> how it is.
>
> However, put on regional accents grate. Especially if it's for
> "authenticity". Yes, Richard B*rgon I'm looking at you...

British kids affecting Jamaican patois is funny and after a while, very
annoying.

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<urv400$1rv1q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20832&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20832

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:53:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 11:53 UTC

sweller wrote:

> geoffC wrote:
>
> > Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
> > A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> > /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
> > accents pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
>
> I don't have a favourite or any that I dislike. I have colleagues
> from the NE that are difficult to understand, others from the West
> Midlands (Babs...), West Country, all over and all are fine to me.
> It's just how it is.
>
> However, put on regional accents grate. Especially if it's for
> "authenticity". Yes, Richard B*rgon I'm looking at you...

Yes, probably like/dislike is the wrong word, grate is more what I
meant. Basing a lot on what I hear on the radio, the content probably
plays a part too.
Being left orientated myself, I am particularly disappointed with the
current crop in the Shadow Cabinet. Some of them sound extremely whiny
and condescending, probably competent and delightful characters but
just the way they sound to me.
Sometimes the content and the accent combine for me and I get genuine
pleasure just listening, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN6THYZ4ngM

In another world, I also enjoy Bumble (David Lloyd) telling a joke. The
jokes are usually pretty crap but it's the way he tells 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhKkyEdQPo

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<cbm6uitbep7m0ve556t90v6j38heefld72@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20835&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20835

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 16:55:09 +0000
 by: Champ - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 16:55 UTC

On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:51:38 -0000 (UTC), geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:

>Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).

>A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>/least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

For some reason I've always found the scouse accent very harsh and
grating. The failing is obviously mine, and nothing to do with the
speaker.

On the other hand, a broad Brummie accents almost always make me smile
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<19153ebc-b566-4aa6-8283-4f51ed8f6d75@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20840&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20840

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:28:42 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:28 UTC

On 01/03/2024 18:51, geoffC wrote:
> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

Makes me think of that classic "would you rather" question...

Would you rather look like Jar Jar Binks or talk like Jar Jar Binks?
Death is not an option!

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<us12jo$2bnpk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20843&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20843

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 21:42:16 -0800
 by: Turby - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 05:42 UTC

On 3/1/2024 10:51 AM, geoffC wrote:

> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the American hicks. There are several
variations I can't come close to mimicking, all of which are hideous.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<us1h6v$2edkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20846&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20846

From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:51:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:51 UTC

Turby wrote:

> On 3/1/2024 10:51 AM, geoffC wrote:
> >

> > Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
> > A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> > /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
> > accents pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
> >
> I'm surprised no one has mentioned the American hicks. There are
> several variations I can't come close to mimicking, all of which are
> hideous.

Can you link to an example?

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<us1u0t$2gri5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20852&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20852

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:30:03 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:30 UTC

On 02/03/2024 16:55, Champ wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Mar 2024 18:51:38 -0000 (UTC), geoffC <me@home.nl> wrote:
>
>> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
>
>> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
>> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
>
> For some reason I've always found the scouse accent very harsh and
> grating. The failing is obviously mine, and nothing to do with the
> speaker.

Nope, it is bloody awful. Especially when it is emphasised or faked.

> On the other hand, a broad Brummie accents almost always make me smile

It's good, but I prefer Geordie

--
Bruce Porter
"The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly"

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<l4jcpjFi98cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20853&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20853

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (Simon Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:37:55 +0000
 by: Simon Wilson - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:37 UTC

On 01/03/2024 18:51, geoffC wrote:
> On 01/03/2024 16:28, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
>> On 29/02/2024 19:17, GeoffC wrote:
>>> wessie wrote:
>>>

>>> https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/29/hairy-bikers-chef-dave-myers-dies-at-66

>>> +1
>>> Yes I enjoy their programmes too, glorious accents the both of them.
>>
>> They have accents?
>
> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

I strangely enjoy hearing accents when spoken by people where English
isn't their first language. Eg, a French person with a mixture of a bit
bit of sarf London I could enjoy all day.

--
/Simon

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<vap9ui1qq0asdce5j6ujrbh83thjhquf5t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20860&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20860

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 21:03:46 +0000
 by: Champ - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 21:03 UTC

On Sun, 3 Mar 2024 13:37:55 +0000, Simon Wilson
<siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote:

>> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type accents
>> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.

>I strangely enjoy hearing accents when spoken by people where English
>isn't their first language. Eg, a French person with a mixture of a bit
>bit of sarf London I could enjoy all day.

Sylvan Guintoli is entertaining in this regard. A native French
speaker, he married a Derbyshire lass and has lived there for some
years. His accent is *all* over the place!
--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<us38ng$2punn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20861&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20861

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2024 17:38:56 -0800
 by: Turby - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 01:38 UTC

On 3/3/2024 1:51 AM, GeoffC wrote:
> Turby wrote:
>
>> On 3/1/2024 10:51 AM, geoffC wrote:
>>>

>>> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
>>> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>>> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
>>> accents pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
>>>
>> I'm surprised no one has mentioned the American hicks. There are
>> several variations I can't come close to mimicking, all of which are
>> hideous.
>
> Can you link to an example?

I tried, but finding samples of idiotic accents is really difficult. Try
this (it really is too polite for what I'm thinking of, though.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<86mgbk-8k3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20862&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20862

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:59:52 +0800
 by: Boots - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:59 UTC

On 03/03/2024 21:37 Simon Wilson penned these words:
> I strangely enjoy hearing accents when spoken by people where English
> isn't their first language. Eg, a French person with a mixture of a bit
> bit of sarf London I could enjoy all day.

Had that asking for directions in Bordeaux from a Gendarme in my rubbish French.
He looked at me and in a very definite South London accent "You English mate?"
--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<dplgbk-9k3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20863&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20863

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 18:53:01 +0800
 by: Boots - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:53 UTC

On 02/03/2024 17:14 wessie penned these words:
> "sweller" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in news:l4g11uF2iv9U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> However, put on regional accents grate. Especially if it's for
>> "authenticity". Yes, Richard B*rgon I'm looking at you...
>>

> British kids affecting Jamaican patois is funny and after a while, very
> annoying.

I worked for a while with a white guy from the west indies, always felt my mind
was playing trick in that I did not see what I heard.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: RIP Dave Myers, Hairy Biker

<us4iid$35ofi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20865&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20865

From: ytc1@ytc1.co.uk (YTC#1)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:33:01 +0000
 by: YTC#1 - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 13:33 UTC

On 03/03/2024 13:37, Simon Wilson wrote:
> On 01/03/2024 18:51, geoffC wrote:

>>> They have accents?
>>
>> Haha, everybody has an accent (except me).
>> A Quick poll: What is your favourite
>> /least favourite accent (including foreigners). I'd rate Adele type
>> accents
>> pretty low and Swedes speaking English pretty high.
>>

> I strangely enjoy hearing accents when spoken by people where English
> isn't their first language. Eg, a French person with a mixture of a bit
> bit of sarf London I could enjoy all day.

Or conversely, CAB :-)