The nicest thing about the Alto is that it doesn't run faster at night.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / ot: petrol lawnmowers

SubjectAuthor
* ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersTurby
|+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
|+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersCT
||`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersChamp
|`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers"Worst Case"
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersSqirrel99
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersTurby
| |+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersBruce Horrocks
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
| `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersBoots
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersMark Olson
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
| `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersMark Olson
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerssweller
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerssweller
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| `* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersSimon Wilson
|  `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersHog
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| `* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersHog
|  `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersfurmity

Pages:12
ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l5t7t4F1bfdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20924&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20924

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: ot: petrol lawnmowers
Date: 19 Mar 2024 10:32:04 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 10:32 UTC

Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).

So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.

I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower

Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
"consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

cheers

--
jeremy

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l5thupF2r3bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20925&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20925

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers
Date: 19 Mar 2024 13:23:37 GMT
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 13:23 UTC

On 19/03/2024 10:32, jeremy wrote:

>Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
>a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
>400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
>did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
>stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
>spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).
>
>So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
>another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.
>
>I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
>https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower
>
>Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
>"consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

Ive got a nice old atco needing fettlement and a new home... :-)

Chris

--
XV750SE & GS550T

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<utcatk$t2dk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20926&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20926

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 08:27:48 -0700
 by: Turby - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:27 UTC

On 3/19/2024 3:32 AM, jeremy wrote:

> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
> a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
> 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
> did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
> stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
> spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).
>
> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.

A recent report on our failure to reach climate change standards
suggested we stop growing lawns and switch to growing food. Veggies
would be cheaper and healthier.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l5ttm1F4knpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20927&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20927

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 19 Mar 2024 16:43:45 GMT
 by: jeremy - Tue, 19 Mar 2024 16:43 UTC

On 19 Mar 2024 at 15:27:48 GMT, "Turby" <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/19/2024 3:32 AM, jeremy wrote:
>>
>> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
>> a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
>> 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
>> did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
>> stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
>> spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).
>>
>> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
>> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.
>>
> A recent report on our failure to reach climate change standards
> suggested we stop growing lawns and switch to growing food. Veggies
> would be cheaper and healthier.

Actually right now I am cultivating more moss than grass...

--
jeremy

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<uteda4$1ee65$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20928&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20928

From: me@christrollen.co.uk (CT)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 10:20:52 -0000 (UTC)
 by: CT - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 10:20 UTC

Turby wrote:

> A recent report on our failure to reach climate change standards
> suggested we stop growing lawns and switch to growing food. Veggies
> would be cheaper and healthier.

And paving over lawns. And replacing lawns with plastic "grass".

I left our lawn uncut for long periods last summer & when the
buttercups, clover, dandelions & bristly ox-tongue all flowered we had
ourselves a lovely meadow with a huge amount of insects & pollinators.

I shall definitely be doing the same this year.

--
Chris

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<XnsB13B78D88CBF8wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20929&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20929

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:52:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 11:52 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote in news:utcatk$t2dk$1@dont-email.me:

> On 3/19/2024 3:32 AM, jeremy wrote:
>>
>> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said
>> it needed a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox +
>> associated parts around 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this
>> remained economically viable (and I did like the old mower). They
>> then called me yesterday to say that once they'd stripped the machine
>> to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs spiralling -
>> it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).
>>
>> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I
>> would like another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is
>> required.
>>
> A recent report on our failure to reach climate change standards
> suggested we stop growing lawns and switch to growing food. Veggies
> would be cheaper and healthier.

I'm in a new home. I planted some bare root raspberries last week. They are
good for insect pollinators and hopefully the birds will allow me to have
some fruit. I've also put in a couple of raised beds with summer flowering
bulbs. I like to encourage insects as their numbers are declining, which
impacts everything else above them in the food chain. Veggies are hard
work, although I might plant some salad crops in the raised beds once the
bulbs have done their thing.

I'm not a fan of grass and will not mow in May & June just to see what else
pops up. There are already bittercress, dandelion and celandine visible.
All important for the pollinators and to be encouraged.

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<25olvid4tbnf92q5pbpinl6fftdlphurj7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20930&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20930

From: neal@champ.org.uk (Champ)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:12:15 +0000
 by: Champ - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:12 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 10:20:52 -0000 (UTC), "CT" <me@christrollen.co.uk>
wrote:

>Turby wrote:
>
>> A recent report on our failure to reach climate change standards
>> suggested we stop growing lawns and switch to growing food. Veggies
>> would be cheaper and healthier.
>
>And paving over lawns. And replacing lawns with plastic "grass".
>
>I left our lawn uncut for long periods last summer & when the
>buttercups, clover, dandelions & bristly ox-tongue all flowered we had
>ourselves a lovely meadow with a huge amount of insects & pollinators.
>
>I shall definitely be doing the same this year.

<applause>

--
Champ
neal at champ dot org dot uk

I don't know, but I been told
You never slow down, you never grow old

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<30c3943907ded347b9276a30d2197e86@dizum.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20931&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20931

From: "Worst Case"@dizum.com
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 21:17:04 +0100 (CET)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
 by: "Worst Case"@dizum.com - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:17 UTC

On 19 Mar 2024 10:32:04 GMT, jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller
> is required.

I have a robot vacuum. What I want — what everybody needs — is a
robot lawn mower.

"ZDNET's Maria Diaz tested the EcoFlow Blade on her yard, and while
the setup process required some time, the results were
impressive. 'The EcoFlow Blade is exceptional at maintaining grassy
areas,' Diaz wrote in her review. 'It never missed spots in the middle
of its coverage area and it consistently ran several times a week
automatically, keeping our one-half of the yard mowed (lawn stripes
and all) without us having to lift a finger.'"

+ https://www.zdnet.com/home-and-office/yard-outdoors/best-robot-mower/

.... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.

.... not gas powered, though. What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
enough to sneak up on rabbits?" If so, I would run mine at dusk.

--
Worst Case

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<uth3vg$25lor$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20932&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20932

From: secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com (Sqirrel99)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:59:59 +0000
 by: Sqirrel99 - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:59 UTC

"Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>
> ... not gas powered, though. What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
> enough to sneak up on rabbits?" If so, I would run mine at dusk.

Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?

Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?

Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
dismembered body parts inside your house.

In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
Just surrender to the rabbits.

Rabbits.
Everywhere.

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<uth4jl$25pde$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20933&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20933

From: xsurf@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 04:10:46 -0700
 by: Turby - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:10 UTC

On 3/21/2024 3:59 AM, Sqirrel99 wrote:
> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>
>> ... not gas powered, though.  What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?"  If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>
> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?
>
> Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
> parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?
>
> Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
> dismembered body parts inside your house.
>
> In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
> Just surrender to the rabbits.
>
> Rabbits.
> Everywhere.

Rabbits are good. They're cuddly, cute, taste good, their fur is useful,
and their feet are good luck tokens.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS & ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<XnsB13C746FEE328wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20934&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20934

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:26:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:26 UTC

Sqirrel99 <secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com> wrote in news:uth3vg$25lor$1@dont-
email.me:

> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>
>> ... not gas powered, though. What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?" If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>
> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?
>
> Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
> parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?

corvids and red kites will soon get rid of the evidence around here

> Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
> dismembered body parts inside your house.
>
> In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
> Just surrender to the rabbits.
>
> Rabbits.
> Everywhere.

shortly followed by buzzards and foxes

apex predators for the win

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l62lerFpql2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20935&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20935

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:54:03 +0000
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:54 UTC

On 21/03/2024 11:10, Turby wrote:
> On 3/21/2024 3:59 AM, Sqirrel99 wrote:
>> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>>
>>> ... not gas powered, though.  What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?"  If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>>
>> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?
>>
>> Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
>> parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?
>>
>> Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
>> dismembered body parts inside your house.
>>
>> In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
>> Just surrender to the rabbits.
>>
>> Rabbits.
>> Everywhere.
>>

> Rabbits are good. They're cuddly, cute, taste good, their fur is useful,
> and their feet are good luck tokens.

....except to the rabbits
....or warnings to other rabbits?

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550T

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l62lofFpql2U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20936&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20936

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:59:11 +0000
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:59 UTC

On 21/03/2024 11:26, wessie wrote:
> Sqirrel99 <secret.sqirrel99@gmail.com> wrote in news:uth3vg$25lor$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>>
>>> ... not gas powered, though. What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?" If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>>
>> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?
>>
>> Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
>> parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?
>>

> corvids and red kites will soon get rid of the evidence around here
>
>> Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
>> dismembered body parts inside your house.
>>
>> In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
>> Just surrender to the rabbits.
>>
>> Rabbits.
>> Everywhere.
>>

> shortly followed by buzzards and foxes
>
> apex predators for the win

One of my favourite 'Far Side' cartoons:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/db/48/67/db4867dc521a5de5aba3a74afdc37bdc.jpg

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550T
https://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<uthk9s$29klo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20938&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20938

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:38:36 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 15:38 UTC

jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:

> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.
>
> I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
> https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower
>
> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
> "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

Split rear roller: Get that traditional striped British lawn

Never knew this to be a thing, every day's a schoolday.

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<XnsB13CAB4AE386Ewtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20939&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20939

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:50:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:50 UTC

Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in

> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I
>> would like another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is
>> required.
>>
>> I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
>> https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-1
>> 39cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower
>>
>> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other
>> strong "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.
>
> Split rear roller: Get that traditional striped British lawn
>
> Never knew this to be a thing, every day's a schoolday.

have you never watched Wimbledon lawn tennis?

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<uti7n7$2edjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20940&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20940

From: olsonm@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:09:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:09 UTC

wessie <willnotwork@tesco.net> wrote:
> Mark Olson <olsonm@tiny.invalid> wrote in
>
>> jeremy <jeremy0505@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I
>>> would like another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is
>>> required.
>>>
>>> I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
>>> https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-1
>>> 39cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower
>>>
>>> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other
>>> strong "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.
>>
>> Split rear roller: Get that traditional striped British lawn
>>
>> Never knew this to be a thing, every day's a schoolday.
>
> have you never watched Wimbledon lawn tennis?

Yes... but I fail to see how watching tennis at Wimbledon would clue
me in that this particular style of mowing is a "British" thing, as
opposed to something that can be applied to a lawn (or tennis court)
in other countries

Or, to put it another way, I suppose I'm not such a devoted fan of
tennis that I've noticed grass courts in other countries aren't mowed
in the same pattern.

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<97b55d8f-cafc-439b-a203-481ccb4029b7@scorecrow.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20941&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20941

From: 07.013@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:13:12 +0000
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Thu, 21 Mar 2024 21:13 UTC

On 21/03/2024 11:10, Turby wrote:
> On 3/21/2024 3:59 AM, Sqirrel99 wrote:
>> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>>
>>> ... not gas powered, though.  What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?"  If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>>
>> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?
>>
>> Also, is a lawn covered in rabbit gore, viscera and dismembered body
>> parts not worse than whatever the rabbits are doing now ?
>>
>> Cats are no help - they just move the rabbit gore, viscera and
>> dismembered body parts inside your house.
>>
>> In any case, rabbits make new rabbits faster than you can remove them...
>> Just surrender to the rabbits.
>>
>> Rabbits.
>> Everywhere.
>>

> Rabbits are good. They're cuddly, cute, taste good, their fur is useful,
> and their feet are good luck tokens.

Sign outside a rural butcher's after the film of Watership Down was
released:

You've read the book.
You've seen the film.
Now eat the cast.

--
Bruce Horrocks
FJR1300AS

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l65v5dFbufaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20944&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20944

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 22 Mar 2024 17:58:05 GMT
 by: sweller - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 17:58 UTC

jeremy wrote:

> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other
> strong "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).

--
Simon

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<q9o7dk-6h3.ln1@bilbo.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20958&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20958

From: news@millhouse-communications.co.uk (Boots)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 16:13:14 +0800
 by: Boots - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 08:13 UTC

On 21/03/2024 18:59 Sqirrel99 penned these words:
> "Worst Case"@dizum.com wrote:
>> ... so, yes, robot mowers do stripes.
>>
>> ... not gas powered, though. What I want to know is, "Are they quiet
>> enough to sneak up on rabbits?" If so, I would run mine at dusk.
>
> Do the rabbits not keep the grass trimmed ?

Me eldest has guinea pigs, they had a run that gets moved around the garden. SiL
reckons no need to cut the grass, their constant grazing and pooping is all
that's needed.

--
Ian

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of
the last priest"

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l6ecvbFks1lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=20967&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#20967

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 25 Mar 2024 22:42:51 GMT
 by: jeremy - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:42 UTC

On 22 Mar 2024 at 17:58:05 GMT, ""sweller"" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> jeremy wrote:
>
>> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other
>> strong "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.
>
> My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).

And was that, on reflection, the right decision? I confess I was a bit
surprised by just how pricey lawnmowers can be...
--
jeremy

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l6kb6bFj5p0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21010&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21010

From: sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 28 Mar 2024 04:49:15 GMT
 by: sweller - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 04:49 UTC

jeremy wrote:

> > My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).
>
> And was that, on reflection, the right decision? I confess I was a bit
> surprised by just how pricey lawnmowers can be...

I think so.

I have quite a big lawn and the Hayter is very good but not cheap. I
suspect there is an element of paying for the name but it does the job
very well.

--
Simon

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l6kqp1Fle1uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21012&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21012

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 28 Mar 2024 09:15:13 GMT
 by: jeremy - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 09:15 UTC

On 28 Mar 2024 at 04:49:15 GMT, ""sweller"" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
wrote:

> jeremy wrote:
>
>>> My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).
>>
>> And was that, on reflection, the right decision? I confess I was a bit
>> surprised by just how pricey lawnmowers can be...
>
> I think so.
>
> I have quite a big lawn and the Hayter is very good but not cheap. I
> suspect there is an element of paying for the name but it does the job
> very well.

Ta for the thoughts.
--
jeremy

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<4532c12eb973042e8c40eaf1afc7b2ba@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21059&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21059

From: york996@gmail.com (Hog)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:38:44 +0000
 by: Hog - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:38 UTC

Rather bizarrely there is a beautiful Atco Balmoral sitting in the garage. It's the sort of classic thing that just works and lasts forever, that was very "me". You may prefer new, of course.

Currently on the local FB group for one hundred and ninety.
Comes with the scarifier cartridge, which is very satisfying to use.
It was treated to a decoke, head gasket, plug and pull cord before being offered up. Engine looks mint.

Quite well known amongst a certain Clique, does rather nice stripes.
It's in the Cotswolds of course, but railways etc etc.

Has an electric start, for old ladies one presumes. But starts so easily it's been long disconnected (but works).
https://www.flickr.com/gp/15262772@N00/BUPjimYK22

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l7nbhlFruvjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21062&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21062

From: jeremy0505@gmail.com (jeremy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 10 Apr 2024 11:29:57 GMT
 by: jeremy - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:29 UTC

On 9 Apr 2024 at 23:38:44 BST, "Hog" <Hog> wrote:

> Rather bizarrely there is a beautiful Atco Balmoral sitting in the garage.
> It's the sort of classic thing that just works and lasts forever, that was
> very "me". You may prefer new, of course.
>
> Currently on the local FB group for one hundred and ninety.
> Comes with the scarifier cartridge, which is very satisfying to use.
> It was treated to a decoke, head gasket, plug and pull cord before being
> offered up. Engine looks mint.
>
> Quite well known amongst a certain Clique, does rather nice stripes.
> It's in the Cotswolds of course, but railways etc etc.
>
> Has an electric start, for old ladies one presumes. But starts so easily it's
> been long disconnected (but works).
> https://www.flickr.com/gp/15262772@N00/BUPjimYK22

Hmmmm... lovely traditional cylinder mower. Does it have a grass box? And
whereabouts in Cotswolds is that? Must weigh a bit (looks substantial).

Do you know how old it is and what the engine & carb are?

Might be interested :)

--
jeremy

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<8d2f396cabf65b600c656371dee7ce48@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21074&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21074

From: york996@gmail.com (Hog)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:43:03 +0000
 by: Hog - Thu, 11 Apr 2024 14:43 UTC

Bugger, soz. Spoke too soon. It was a local feeding frenzy. People like proper Atco equipment it seems.