zeal, n.: Quality seen in new graduates -- if you're quick.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

SubjectAuthor
* ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersTurby
|+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
|+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersCT
||`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersChamp
|`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers"Worst Case"
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersSqirrel99
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersTurby
| |+- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersBruce Horrocks
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
| `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersBoots
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersMark Olson
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
| `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersMark Olson
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerssweller
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| +* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerssweller
| |`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| `* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersSimon Wilson
|  `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerswessie
+* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersHog
|`* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersjeremy
| `* Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersHog
|  `- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowerschrisnd @ukrm
`- Re: ot: petrol lawnmowersfurmity

Pages:12
Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l7svntFn9fjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21075&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21075

From: chrisnd@privacy.net (chrisnd @ukrm)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 15:45:17 +0100
 by: chrisnd @ukrm - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:45 UTC

On 11/04/2024 15:43, Hog wrote:
> Bugger, soz. Spoke too soon. It was a local feeding frenzy. People like
> proper Atco equipment it seems.

Ooh! Maybe it really is time to get rid of mine!

Chris
--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550T

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<5c6deaccedbc6c1bff144b55df1bb30b@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21122&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21122

From: stephen.packer@gmail.com (furmity)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:01:08 +0000
 by: furmity - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 19:01 UTC

jeremy wrote:

> Had an old Hayter 41 - went in for its service this year, they said it needed
> a new gearbox - total cost of service & the gearbox + associated parts around
> 400 incl VAT - they said they thought this remained economically viable (and I
> did like the old mower). They then called me yesterday to say that once they'd
> stripped the machine to do the gearbox they had found other problems - costs
> spiralling - it's no longer viable :( - so it's RIP (and I owe them just £25).

> So find myself launching into the world of buying a new machine. I would like
> another petrol mower and I like the stripes so a roller is required.

> I'm sorely tempted by one of the Hyundai models e.g.
> https://hyundaipowerequipment.co.uk/hyundai-hym430spr-self-propelled-139cc-petrol-roller-lawn-mower

> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other strong
> "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.

> cheers

A bit late...

But, I'm quite happy with the Bosch 36v electric mower I've been using for the last
10 or so years. I bought a new one recently (since the older one was getting a
bit tired). I've got a fair amount of lawn to cut, probably something like 100m
x 100 m but split in several pieces, I guess I spend a couple of hours a week from
April to November cutting grass; so it works quite hard.

It's a lot lighter than the previous Honda I had so the bits beside the drive
(I live on a hill) are a lot easier.

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<l9ng6iFjmibU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21842&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21842

From: siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com (Simon Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 20:22:00 +0100
 by: Simon Wilson - Sat, 4 May 2024 19:22 UTC

On 25/03/2024 22:42, jeremy wrote:
> On 22 Mar 2024 at 17:58:05 GMT, ""sweller"" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> jeremy wrote:
>>
>>> Just curious as to anyone here has experience of these or has other
>>> strong "consider this" suggestions before I press the button.
>>
>> My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).
>
> And was that, on reflection, the right decision? I confess I was a bit
> surprised by just how pricey lawnmowers can be...

I've never bought a new mower, always used.

The last one was an electric start Mountfield with a roller.
Unfortunately the electric start is rarely successful from cold. It was
playing up again recently (I suspect me accidentally running it on a
diesel for a while didn't do it any good).

I think my next one will be a Honda. The one with a roller and
hydrostatic drive (no pesky belts) looks handy. Nearly £1K new, so it
would def be a used one.

--
/Simon

Re: ot: petrol lawnmowers

<XnsB168DC6A364E1wtymmmsas@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21843&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#21843

From: willnotwork@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 4 May 2024 20:40:04 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Sat, 4 May 2024 20:40 UTC

Simon Wilson <siwilson@nodamnspamn.hotmail.com> wrote in news:l9ng6iFjmibU2
@mid.individual.net:

> On 25/03/2024 22:42, jeremy wrote:
>> On 22 Mar 2024 at 17:58:05 GMT, ""sweller"" <sweller@mztech.fsnet.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> My old Hayter died so I bought another one (brand new this time).
>>
>> And was that, on reflection, the right decision? I confess I was a bit
>> surprised by just how pricey lawnmowers can be...
>
> I've never bought a new mower, always used.
>
> The last one was an electric start Mountfield with a roller.
> Unfortunately the electric start is rarely successful from cold. It was
> playing up again recently (I suspect me accidentally running it on a
> diesel for a while didn't do it any good).
>
> I think my next one will be a Honda. The one with a roller and
> hydrostatic drive (no pesky belts) looks handy. Nearly £1K new, so it
> would def be a used one.

I think Honda stopped making petrol mowers last year. They have stockpiled
a load but it won't be long before used is the only option