The older a man gets, the farther he had to walk to school as a boy.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
|+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Steveski
| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
|  `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|   `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
|    +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
|    `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Penny
|+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
||+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
|||`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
||| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
|||  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
|+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
| +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
| +* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
| |`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Serena Blanchflower
| | `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
|  +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
|  `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|   `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
 `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
  +* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  |+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
  ||+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Penny
  |||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Chris J Dixon
  ||`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  || `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
  ||  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  |`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Joe Kerr
  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell

Pages:12
OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1fdi9FpcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21103&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21103

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37 UTC

I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
plates and bowls?

Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
(*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
hectic-multi-coloured handles.

(*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<uotvi0$2btqd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21104&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21104

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:42:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ed9gBm5gByaR47mLeTFgC9HSbwg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:42 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
> want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
> want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
> is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
> plates and bowls?
>
> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
> 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

I think you might find something in Wilkinso….err…oh!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1ffajFldnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21105&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21105

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:07:48 +0000
 by: Kate B - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
> want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do not
> want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.)  Why
> is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
> plates and bowls?
>
> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've seen
> 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like Denby
but not so expensive.

--
Kate B

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<I2LV$Ixf2oslFwMD@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21106&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21106

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:34:39 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:34 UTC

In message <l1ffajFldnU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 25 Jan 2024
16:07:48, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
>>want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
>>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do
>>not want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of
>>mugs.)  Why is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online)
..........................................................^^^^^^^^
>>matching single plates and bowls?
>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've
>>seen 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I
>>suspect.
>>

>IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like Denby
>but not so expensive.

Mike's mention of Wilko reminded me I've seen some suggestion that
Woolworth (with or without an s) may return. And I was going to say I've
seen single plates in, certainly, Morrisons, and I think ASDA (I'd be
surprised if not - they seem to have everything, such as towels).

But Jenny specified online. And I admit I haven't looked there for
crockery or cutlery. (Or anywhere else, really - I have more than I'm
likely to need, as I'm working my way through what I may have bought a
long time ago [can't remember] or inherited; I don't entertain, or if I
did would take people out. But I have come across it in Morrisons. Oh,
and I think M&S.)

Mike Jackson |\ _,,,---,,_
and Squeak /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Shame there's no snooze button
[1998] |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'- on a cat who wants breakfast
zzz '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<gf65rih525jcf7q31ld796p099jiecol9i@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21108&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21108

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:30:52 +0000
 by: Penny - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:30 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...

>I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>plates and bowls?
>
>Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>(*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
>2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
>(*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

Sainsbugs used to do crockery by the piece. I bought a dinner set that way
in my younger days - still have some of it left.
Some big department stores, the sort that hold wedding lists, sell place
settings, cutlery and/or crockery.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1flpaFldnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21109&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21109

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:58:03 +0000
 by: Kate B - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:58 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:30, Penny wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
> scrawled in the dust...
>
>> I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>> want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>> want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>> is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>> plates and bowls?
>>
>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
>> 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>
>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>
> Sainsbugs used to do crockery by the piece. I bought a dinner set that way
> in my younger days - still have some of it left.
> Some big department stores, the sort that hold wedding lists, sell place
> settings, cutlery and/or crockery.

There a Range near us which has lots of very useful stuff (indeed seems
to have inherited quite a lot of the Wilko goods). They do online orders
and deliveries, I see. Worth a go?

https://www.therange.co.uk/

--
Kate B

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1fn94FpcU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21110&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21110

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:23:31 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:23 UTC

On 25/01/2024 17:58, Kate B wrote:
> There a Range near us which has lots of very useful stuff (indeed seems
> to have inherited quite a lot of the Wilko goods). They do online orders
> and deliveries, I see. Worth a go?
>
> https://www.therange.co.uk/

Not keen on the Denby-style for Ikea but The Range does have some
interesting things and were have one in Wrecsam so I will try and get
there to have a look. Thanks!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<sna5rilmpqduksgt937q1tr4diuu9bk831@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21112&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21112

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:41:11 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:41 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:58:03 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>>
>> Sainsbugs used to do crockery by the piece. I bought a dinner set that way
>> in my younger days - still have some of it left.
>> Some big department stores, the sort that hold wedding lists, sell place
>> settings, cutlery and/or crockery.
>
>There a Range near us which has lots of very useful stuff (indeed seems
>to have inherited quite a lot of the Wilko goods). They do online orders
>and deliveries, I see. Worth a go?
>
>https://www.therange.co.uk/

We had one here. Not sure if it's still there. It had lots of things
of all kinds. Garden, pets, house, clothes, food.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<qqa5ri5dpvp6br72fn6eiv02m6vnllboh1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21113&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21113

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:42:22 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:42 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 17:30:52 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
>scrawled in the dust...
>
>>I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>>want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>>want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>>is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>>plates and bowls?
>>
>>Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>>(*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
>>2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>
>>(*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>
>Sainsbugs used to do crockery by the piece. I bought a dinner set that way
>in my younger days - still have some of it left.
>Some big department stores, the sort that hold wedding lists, sell place
>settings, cutlery and/or crockery.

They still do single items. Some Habitat ones. I got a mug last week.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<8ta5ri54fbi8euo3uvc98aa8rjes42qed3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21114&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21114

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:43:33 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:43 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:34:39 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <l1ffajFldnU1@mid.individual.net> at Thu, 25 Jan 2024
>16:07:48, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
>>>want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
>>>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do
>>>not want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of
>>>mugs.)  Why is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online)
>.........................................................^^^^^^^^
>>>matching single plates and bowls?
>>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've
>>>seen 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>>>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I
>>>suspect.
>>>

>>IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like Denby
>>but not so expensive.
>>
>Mike's mention of Wilko reminded me I've seen some suggestion that
>Woolworth (with or without an s) may return. And I was going to say I've
>seen single plates in, certainly, Morrisons, and I think ASDA (I'd be
>surprised if not - they seem to have everything, such as towels).
>
>But Jenny specified online. And I admit I haven't looked there for
>crockery or cutlery. (Or anywhere else, really - I have more than I'm
>likely to need, as I'm working my way through what I may have bought a
>long time ago [can't remember] or inherited; I don't entertain, or if I
>did would take people out. But I have come across it in Morrisons. Oh,
>and I think M&S.)

Asda is cheaper thsn Sainsburys. For most things. Some is worse
stuff.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<i0b5riluoor3cdqkb2j0bnptve6rlnrfpv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21115&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21115

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:44:48 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:44 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>plates and bowls?
>
>Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>(*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
>2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
>(*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

Cheapest singles in Asda.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<vua5rihs5aeum7o45uic7vqojpfmlh32of@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21116&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21116

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:44:11 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 18:44 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 16:07:48 +0000, Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
>> want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
>> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do not
>> want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.)  Why
>> is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>> plates and bowls?
>>
>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've seen
>> 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>
>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>>

>IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like Denby
>but not so expensive.

My favourite for bedding.Good all cotton sheets.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1fv66Fj56nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21117&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21117

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:38:31 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:38 UTC

On 25/01/2024 18:23, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 17:58, Kate B wrote:
>> There a Range near us which has lots of very useful stuff (indeed
>> seems to have inherited quite a lot of the Wilko goods). They do
>> online orders and deliveries, I see. Worth a go?
>>
>> https://www.therange.co.uk/
>
> Not keen on the Denby-style for Ikea but The Range does have some
> interesting things and were have one in Wrecsam so I will try and get
> there to have a look.  Thanks!

Tesco have some. Do they deliver in your area ?

<https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=plates>

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<5dv5ri9lp9se1t41e1q341m2o2mi0ka6jm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21122&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21122

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>plates and bowls?
>
>Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>(*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets. I think I've seen
>2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
>(*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread already, I see.

If you don't mind second-hand, may I add eBay as an on-line source?
IMO it's not as good as it used to be but I don't and won't use any of
the social media market places and there's still a good selection of
articles to be found on that site, often at very low initial prices
(and with practice you can often predict which ones will sell for just
the low, initial bid).

And off-line, charity shops. (Although many of them seem to have a
presence on-line too.) I often find nice things for the kitchen in
charity shops. My latest purchase was a covered, china cheese dish
which must be about one hundred years old. I've been experimenting
with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.

Nick

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<hnEsN.171283$yEgf.5934@fx09.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21125&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21125

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:00:30 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 02:00 UTC

On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
> want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do not
> want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.)  Why
> is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
> plates and bowls?
>
> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've seen
> 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>
> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.

I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".

She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
crockery & cutlery are on offer there.

These are usually the unbroken remainder of sometimes quite elaborate
(expensive) services.

She often buys (say) four side plates because she thinks the pattern is
pretty - or 4 tea cups & saucers - or...

I don't know if you could find what you want, but looking might be
entertaining in itself.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<CJpnQ07VT1slFw$g@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21127&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21127

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:44:37 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:44 UTC

In message <5dv5ri9lp9se1t41e1q341m2o2mi0ka6jm@4ax.com> at Fri, 26 Jan
2024 00:49:12, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes
>On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I live alone. i don't entertain. i need some new crockery. I don't
>>want Melamine and I don't want plain white. I only need a couple of
>>dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls. I do not
>>want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of mugs.) Why
>>is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online) matching single
>>plates and bowls?
>>
>>Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
[]
>If you don't mind second-hand, may I add eBay as an on-line source?
And for new; ebay's good for new, too.
>IMO it's not as good as it used to be but I don't and won't use any of
>the social media market places and there's still a good selection of

From what I've seen on Rip-Off Britain, something called Facebook
Marketplace is the home of rogues. Obviously, the nature of that prog.
is that it will mostly only report bad things, but even taking account
of that, it seems to be something I'm glad I haven't dipped into. (The
main difficulty seems to be just contacting FaceBook, or its real name
which escapes me.) On the whole, with ebay, I've usually been satisfied,
and have secured refunds or partial refunds most times when not.

>articles to be found on that site, often at very low initial prices
>(and with practice you can often predict which ones will sell for just
>the low, initial bid).
>
>And off-line, charity shops. (Although many of them seem to have a

Yes, I was going to mention those - or, if you have such a venue near
you, places where house clearance agents frequent. I'm thinking of the
weekly market at Tynemouth Metro station, but I guess similar venues
exist nationwide - though I don't actually know of any others. But you
do use the word online from which I assume you're of limited mobility?

>presence on-line too.) I often find nice things for the kitchen in
>charity shops. My latest purchase was a covered, china cheese dish
>which must be about one hundred years old. I've been experimenting
[]
By covered I presume you mean it has a cover.

Self Test for Paranoia: You know you have it when you can't think of anything
that's your own fault. - "The Real Bev" in comp.mobile.android, 2019-1-1

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1hhfaFgaidU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21131&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21131

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:56:42 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:56 UTC

On 25/01/2024 20:38, BrritSki wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 18:23, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 25/01/2024 17:58, Kate B wrote:
>>> There a Range near us which has lots of very useful stuff (indeed
>>> seems to have inherited quite a lot of the Wilko goods). They do
>>> online orders and deliveries, I see. Worth a go?
>>>
>>> https://www.therange.co.uk/
>>
>> Not keen on the Denby-style for Ikea but The Range does have some
>> interesting things and were have one in Wrecsam so I will try and get
>> there to have a look.  Thanks!
>
> Tesco have some. Do they deliver in your area ?
>
> <https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=plates>

All the single ones there seem to be Denby-style, which is obviously the
"IN" thing just now. I don't do "IN"- I think the last time was when I
was the first of my acquaintances to have wedge-toed shoes, which must
have been in about 1958!

Asda & The Range definitely worth looking into, though the ones I like
at Asda are not the cheapest and come in sets of 4. I just don't have
the cupboard space for that much.

Many thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<i087ripugthihghlbn3os5odf50bpdgsuo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21134&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21134

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06:39 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

.. I've been experimenting
>with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>
>Nick
Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
window. Is yours like that?

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<0jc7rihr4k4deeudo9a0ud81td0ntvua4t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21138&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21138

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:32:31 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:32 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:56:42 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 25/01/2024 20:38, BrritSki wrote:

>>> Not keen on the Denby-style for Ikea but The Range does have some
>>> interesting things and were have one in Wrecsam so I will try and get
>>> there to have a look.  Thanks!
>>
>> Tesco have some. Do they deliver in your area ?
>>
>> <https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=plates>
>
>All the single ones there seem to be Denby-style, which is obviously the
>"IN" thing just now. I don't do "IN"- I think the last time was when I
>was the first of my acquaintances to have wedge-toed shoes, which must
>have been in about 1958!
>
>Asda & The Range definitely worth looking into, though the ones I like
>at Asda are not the cheapest and come in sets of 4. I just don't have
>the cupboard space for that much.
>
>Many thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Asda has singles. And their tableware is cheaper than Habitat or other
places. Their website is clunky though. In store is better.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<up0d3c$2rihr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21140&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21140

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:46:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mutJ/QJu/dlGHWrxWpoK6pWfLEU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:46 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>

> . I've been experimenting
>> with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>> where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>>
>> Nick
> Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
> window. Is yours like that?

Sir! Sir! Sir! We had one of those! The larder was floor to ceiling with a
frosted glass window, a perforated zinc covered ventilator which was
blo**dy freezing in the winters of the 1950’s and 60’s.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1ibhrFgaieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21144&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21144

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:21:46 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:21 UTC

On 26/01/2024 02:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:

> I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".
>
> She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
> crockery & cutlery are on offer there.

Well, aren't I the idiot? DON'T ANSWER THAT!

Not only had I somehow not thought of eBay until Sam's post, but also
completely forgotten I had searched there before for pieces of my
existing crockery - Royal Stafford "Apple."

So(*) I open eBay this morning and the first thing that greets me is the
information that Royal Stafford "Apple" plates are now back in stock!!
And as it turned out, not just dinner plates but side plates and bowls too.

Only snag is they are more expensive than quite nice pieces seen
elsewhere, so do I save money and start afresh with 8 pieces or replace
the 4 pieces that have cracked or broken? Decisions, decisions!

(*)It's almost compulsory to begin every sentence that way nowadays, but
I usually resist.
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1ic6tFgaieU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21145&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21145

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:33:00 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:33 UTC

On 26/01/2024 12:06, Vicky wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell<nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:

> . I've been experimenting
>> with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>> where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>>
>> Nick
> Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
> window. Is yours like that?

My childhood home had a pantry (we called it the Larder) and a washroom
which both opened onto an enclosed "area", our house and next door
having been built as a single huge dwelling but converted to semis.
Next door was now 3 flats, occupied by members of the same family. What
fascinated me was that attached outside one of the opposite windows
(belonging to the smallest flat on the first floor) was a meat safe and
very occasionally one could see Miss Jaeger open the window to access
her food.

A cupboard with a "stable door" incorporating a shelf had been
constructed in one corner of the washroom. It must have been about 3'
or 4' square and contained the meters. When my parents first viewed the
house my father apparently observed "You could keep goats in there." It
was known ever after as the Goat Cupboard. It was a fabulous place for
playing Shop!

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<r5VsN.252038$7sbb.79500@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21153&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21153

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:02:15 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:02 UTC

On 26-Jan-24 18:21, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 02:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>
>> I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".
>>
>> She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
>> crockery & cutlery are on offer there.
>

> Well, aren't I the idiot?  DON'T ANSWER THAT!
>
> Not only had I somehow not thought of eBay until Sam's post, but also
> completely forgotten I had searched there before for pieces of my
> existing crockery - Royal Stafford "Apple."
>
> So(*) I open eBay this morning and the first thing that greets me is the
> information that Royal Stafford "Apple" plates are now back in stock!!
> And as it turned out, not just dinner plates but side plates and bowls too.
>
> Only snag is they are more expensive than quite nice pieces seen
> elsewhere, so do I save money and start afresh with 8 pieces or replace
> the 4 pieces that have cracked or broken?  Decisions, decisions!
>
> (*)It's almost compulsory to begin every sentence that way nowadays, but
> I usually resist.

I'm happy if it helped, but Nick (Odell) managed to get there before me
- though I didn't manage to read his post until after sending mine.

Judging by Wofe's behaviour, it can lead to penury and a dire need for
extra cupboards.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21154&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21154

From: steveski@invalid.com (Steveski)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:22:20 +0000
 by: Steveski - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:22 UTC

On 25/01/2024 16:07, Kate B wrote:
> On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I don't
>> want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a couple of
>> dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of bowls.  I do
>> not want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have loads of
>> mugs.)  Why is it apparently impossible for me to buy (online)
>> matching single plates and bowls?
>>
>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've
>> seen 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>> hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>
>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>>

> IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like Denby
> but not so expensive.
The Everyday version of Denby? I use it and like it.

--
Steveski

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<1ag8ri9mle50f0reg5uri89sf4cjt593i5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21158&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21158

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:38:50 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:38 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06:39 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>. I've been experimenting
>>with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>>where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>>
>>Nick
>Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
>window. Is yours like that?

My house was built on a very steep hill. Consequently, at the back it
looks like a normal ground floor with kitchen-diner but at the front
it is underground and what used to be the coal-cellar has now become
my pantry and dark room. It keeps cooler than any of the other rooms
but probably isn't as chill as the type of room Mike mentions and
which I remember from my infant days.

Nick