The only time a dog gets complimented is when he doesn't do anything. -- C. Schulz

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
|+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Steveski
| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
|  `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|   `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
|    +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
|    `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Penny
|+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
||+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
|||`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
||| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
|||  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
|+- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?J. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
| +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Mike McMillan
| +* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
| |`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Serena Blanchflower
| | `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
| `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
|  +- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?BrritSki
|  `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Vicky
|   `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Kate B
`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
 `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Jenny M Benson
  +* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  |+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
  ||+* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Penny
  |||`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Chris J Dixon
  ||`* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  || `* Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell
  ||  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Sam Plusnet
  |`- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Joe Kerr
  `- Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?Nick Odell

Pages:12
Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<6rg8ritn2hi3r57du4o4747ultp1dj6bha@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21159&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21159

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:44:59 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:44 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:21:46 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 26/01/2024 02:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>
>> I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".
>>
>> She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
>> crockery & cutlery are on offer there.
>

>Well, aren't I the idiot? DON'T ANSWER THAT!
>
>Not only had I somehow not thought of eBay until Sam's post, but also
>completely forgotten I had searched there before for pieces of my
>existing crockery - Royal Stafford "Apple."
>
>So(*) I open eBay this morning and the first thing that greets me is the
>information that Royal Stafford "Apple" plates are now back in stock!!
>And as it turned out, not just dinner plates but side plates and bowls too.
>
>Only snag is they are more expensive than quite nice pieces seen
>elsewhere, so do I save money and start afresh with 8 pieces or replace
>the 4 pieces that have cracked or broken? Decisions, decisions!
>
>(*)It's almost compulsory to begin every sentence that way nowadays, but
>I usually resist.

Don't worry Jenny. Starting a sentence or even a book with "So" became
almost compulsory after Tim Winton's Eyrie in 2014
https://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/index.cfm/book_number/3066/eyrie

Nick

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<b0h8ri58j6sij8r0dnofr6t30kootllhtg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21160&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21160

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:49:34 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:49 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:02:15 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 26-Jan-24 18:21, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 26/01/2024 02:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>>
>>> I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".
>>>
>>> She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
>>> crockery & cutlery are on offer there.
>>

>> Well, aren't I the idiot?  DON'T ANSWER THAT!
>>
>> Not only had I somehow not thought of eBay until Sam's post, but also
>> completely forgotten I had searched there before for pieces of my
>> existing crockery - Royal Stafford "Apple."
>>
>> So(*) I open eBay this morning and the first thing that greets me is the
>> information that Royal Stafford "Apple" plates are now back in stock!!
>> And as it turned out, not just dinner plates but side plates and bowls too.
>>
>> Only snag is they are more expensive than quite nice pieces seen
>> elsewhere, so do I save money and start afresh with 8 pieces or replace
>> the 4 pieces that have cracked or broken?  Decisions, decisions!
>>
>> (*)It's almost compulsory to begin every sentence that way nowadays, but
>> I usually resist.
>
>I'm happy if it helped, but Nick (Odell) managed to get there before me
>- though I didn't manage to read his post until after sending mine.
>
>Judging by Wofe's behaviour, it can lead to penury and a dire need for
>extra cupboards.

Yes... well... I've become quite good at getting what I want at the
price that I want but I still haven't tried selling anything on there
and I'm probably even less Marie Kondo than your wofe.

Nick

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1jtftFgeflU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21164&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21164

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:34:06 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 08:34 UTC

On 26/01/2024 23:38, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06:39 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>>> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>> . I've been experimenting
>>> with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>>> where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>>>
>> Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
>> window. Is yours like that?
>
> My house was built on a very steep hill. Consequently, at the back it
> looks like a normal ground floor with kitchen-diner but at the front
> it is underground and what used to be the coal-cellar has now become
> my pantry and dark room. It keeps cooler than any of the other rooms
> but probably isn't as chill as the type of room Mike mentions and
> which I remember from my infant days.

We have converted what we assume was the coal-hole into a pantry, but
not for perishables usually, just tins and bottles and you have to go
outside to access it, although the side passage is covered so at least
you don't get wet.

Grandma Fell had a tiny kitchen (how on earth did she cook Christmas
dinner in there for 6 of us ? And get 3 people in it and still be able
to move while Dad carved, she finished the main course and Mum was
working on dess^Wpudding ?) with a pantry off it with the ventilation
window mentioned earlier. There was also a meat safe in there - a small
cupboard with fine zinc mesh instead of wood panels on all sides.

This and the attached coal hole were and original mini-extension to
their semi and the roof of the extension was a rain water tank about 18
inches deep that the main house roof drained into. There was a third tap
in the kitchen fed by this and Grandma used it exclusively for washing
her face and hair, which kept both in very good nick.

The only problem is that I had to climb up into it (the tank, not her
hair) to clean it out every autumn when the level was low.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<9cj9ril603vais5bvj95b0u3t72sfghr0g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21167&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21167

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:33:09 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:33 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:38:50 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06:39 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 00:49:12 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:37:45 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>>><NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>. I've been experimenting
>>>with keeping hard cheeses such as Cheddar, in the pantry, in the dish
>>>where it can breathe, rather than in the fridge where it can't.
>>>
>>>Nick
>>Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
>>window. Is yours like that?
>
>My house was built on a very steep hill. Consequently, at the back it
>looks like a normal ground floor with kitchen-diner but at the front
>it is underground and what used to be the coal-cellar has now become
>my pantry and dark room. It keeps cooler than any of the other rooms
>but probably isn't as chill as the type of room Mike mentions and
>which I remember from my infant days.
>
>Nick

My uncle in Austria had a house ona hill with pantry below ground like
that with a window just above ground level. I was 10 when we stayed
there first and you could reach in through the window and take food
from the shelves.....

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<up2jat$3aqho$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21168&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21168

From: nospam@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:45:01 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:45 UTC

On 26/01/2024 18:33, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> My childhood home had a pantry (we called it the Larder) and a washroom
> which both opened onto an enclosed "area", our house and next door
> having been built as a single huge dwelling  but converted to semis.
> Next door was now 3 flats, occupied by members of the same family. What
> fascinated me was that attached outside one of the opposite windows
> (belonging to the smallest flat on the first floor) was a meat safe and
> very occasionally one could see Miss Jaeger open the window to access
> her food.

Like you, we had a pantry, called the larder - housed, as it should be,
against a north facing wall. We also had a scullery[1], called the
pantry. My grandmother lived with us, in her own flat, and she had a
meat safe in the covered porch, outside her kitchen door.

[1] Nowadays, it would have been called the futility room, apart from
the fact that it held the only sink, rather than being a supernumerary one.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<sbl9ril5ptnb33fuc264co0f9iideccau9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21170&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21170

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:17:25 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 10:17 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:45:01 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 26/01/2024 18:33, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> My childhood home had a pantry (we called it the Larder) and a washroom
>> which both opened onto an enclosed "area", our house and next door
>> having been built as a single huge dwelling  but converted to semis.
>> Next door was now 3 flats, occupied by members of the same family. What
>> fascinated me was that attached outside one of the opposite windows
>> (belonging to the smallest flat on the first floor) was a meat safe and
>> very occasionally one could see Miss Jaeger open the window to access
>> her food.
>
>Like you, we had a pantry, called the larder - housed, as it should be,
>against a north facing wall. We also had a scullery[1], called the
>pantry. My grandmother lived with us, in her own flat, and she had a
>meat safe in the covered porch, outside her kitchen door.
>

>[1] Nowadays, it would have been called the futility room, apart from
>the fact that it held the only sink, rather than being a supernumerary one.

My uncle's house in Banbury had a scullery. He was a GP and owned two
adjacent terraced houses. Downstairs one house had the kitchen and
living room, scullery off kitchen at the back, and the other house had
the surgery, nurse's room and waiting room. The nurse did urine
testing with a tube and bunson burner. I used to go through the door
between the houses to spend time watching her.

I went on some visits with my uncle too. I stayed when I was about 8
when my mum was ill in hospital there, father had died a year earlier.
On one visit I was given a spaniel pup! I called him Ronnie, but we
lived in a rented flat in London where dogs were not allowed, so he
remained with my uncle.

Upstairs was all one house, another 2 stories of bedrooms but only one
bathroom. The toilet had an overhead cistern. You pulled and ran. It
leaked a bit. My uncle's mother spoke only German, they'd been
refugees in the 30s from Austria, and she was lovely. She always had a
bag of pear drops in her pocket to give me one. She had arthritis, as
I have now, but her hands were very bent. I'm wondering now how she
managed the stairs as her bedroom was on the second floor.

I was in a room there too, my cousin's, as he was away at university.
I remember him having some time at home and he had friends over to
play, Monopoly, but they didn't let me play too.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1kbslF11jkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21171&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21171

From: elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:39:51 +0000
 by: Kate B - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:39 UTC

On 27/01/2024 09:33, Vicky wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:38:50 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:06:39 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> . I've been experimenting

>>> Years ago we had a house with a real floor height pantry with outside
>>> window. Is yours like that?
>>
>> My house was built on a very steep hill. Consequently, at the back it
>> looks like a normal ground floor with kitchen-diner but at the front
>> it is underground and what used to be the coal-cellar has now become
>> my pantry and dark room. It keeps cooler than any of the other rooms
>> but probably isn't as chill as the type of room Mike mentions and
>> which I remember from my infant days.
>>
>> Nick
>
> My uncle in Austria had a house ona hill with pantry below ground like
> that with a window just above ground level. I was 10 when we stayed
> there first and you could reach in through the window and take food
> from the shelves.....

Our house in London was also built on the side of a hill and had a very
smart slate-shelved pantry with a window halfway up the wall.
Unfortunately it was on the south side of the house so even with blinds
the room got too warm for cheese or meat. The wine-cellar was given the
better position on the north side...

Vicky, have you ever read the novels of Elisabeth de Waal? The
grandmother of the potter Edmund who wrote The Hare With The Amber Eyes.
She was a published expert on economics and spoke five languages
perfectly - she wrote five novels, two in English which have lately been
published by Persephone. 'The Exiles Return' is set in 50's Austria and
is absolutely lovely, 'Milton Place' is set in 50's England (with an
Austrian heroine) and is equally perceptive and beautifully written. I
think you might like 'The Exiles Return'.

--
Kate B

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<up39uq$3elkq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21173&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21173

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:11:05 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:11 UTC

On 26/01/2024 21:02, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 18:21, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 26/01/2024 02:00, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>>
>>> I was about to recommend Wofe's method - until you mentioned "matching".
>>>
>>> She sometimes trawls through Ebay to see what oddments of china,
>>> crockery & cutlery are on offer there.
>>

>> Well, aren't I the idiot?  DON'T ANSWER THAT!
>>
>> Not only had I somehow not thought of eBay until Sam's post, but also
>> completely forgotten I had searched there before for pieces of my
>> existing crockery - Royal Stafford "Apple."
>>
>> So(*) I open eBay this morning and the first thing that greets me is
>> the information that Royal Stafford "Apple" plates are now back in
>> stock!! And as it turned out, not just dinner plates but side plates
>> and bowls too.
>>
>> Only snag is they are more expensive than quite nice pieces seen
>> elsewhere, so do I save money and start afresh with 8 pieces or
>> replace the 4 pieces that have cracked or broken?  Decisions, decisions!
>>
>> (*)It's almost compulsory to begin every sentence that way nowadays,
>> but I usually resist.
>
> I'm happy if it helped, but Nick (Odell) managed to get there before me
> - though I didn't manage to read his post until after sending mine.
>
> Judging by Wofe's behaviour, it can lead to penury and a dire need for
> extra cupboards.

I'm pretty sure you can find some good deals on cupboards on ebay.

--
Ric

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<hkearitprqf2fni4eglmre375gnfl6itpo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21178&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21178

From: spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:29:50 +0000
 by: Penny - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 17:29 UTC

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:49:34 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
scrawled in the dust...
of eBay
>Yes... well... I've become quite good at getting what I want at the
>price that I want but I still haven't tried selling anything on there

Give it a go.
I really must start getting rid of stuff.
Some years ago, before I moved to Wales, I came across a big box full of
Wedgwood 'Blue Pacific' in a local junk shop. I liked the look of it and,
as they only asked £40 for the lot, I bought it.

EBay showed it was a discontinued line and individual pieces attracted
surprisingly high prices. I sorted out the bits I didn't want - tea set,
coffee set, mugs, veg dishes, tea plates, and auctioned them all
individually with a starting price of 99p. I made £400 and still have
enough crockery to serve a three course meal to 9 people
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<O4ctN.16873$x4Zc.4728@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21185&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21185

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:38:37 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:38 UTC

On 26-Jan-24 23:49, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:02:15 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> Judging by Wofe's behaviour, it can lead to penury and a dire need for
>> extra cupboards.
>
> Yes... well... I've become quite good at getting what I want at the
> price that I want but I still haven't tried selling anything on there
> and I'm probably even less Marie Kondo than your wofe.

I googled the name, but I will have forgotten about it by bedtime.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<bq1RYjFhvZtlFw2B@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21191&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21191

Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12:17 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12 UTC

In message <l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 26 Jan 2024
23:22:20, Steveski <steveski@invalid.com> writes
>On 25/01/2024 16:07, Kate B wrote:
>> On 25/01/2024 15:37, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> I live alone.  i don't entertain.  i need some new crockery.  I
>>>don't want Melamine and I don't want plain white.  I only need a
>>>couple of dinner plates, a couple of side plates and a couple of
>>>bowls.  I do not want a set of 4 pieces which includes a mug (I have
>>>loads of mugs.)  Why is it apparently impossible for me to buy
>>>(online) matching single plates and bowls?
>>>
>>> Similarly, having lost some cutlery with nice turquoise handles
>>> (*) I would like to buy 1 or 2 4-piece cutlery sets.  I think I've
>>>seen 2 such - one gold with vary narrow spoon and 1 with
>>>hectic-multi-coloured handles.
>>>
>>> (*) Fallen out of the drainer into the paper-recycling sack, I suspect.
>>>
>> IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like
>>Denby but not so expensive.
>The Everyday version of Denby? I use it and like it.

I happened to be in a Morrisons today (Folkestone) and looked - and they
have several different styles of plates etc. (didn't seem that cheap to
me, but I've no idea what is the norm), of what seemed reasonable
quality. The rounded-square style was reduced - presumably not selling.
They had cutlery too.

Do ministers do more than lay people?

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<gq8brip96rnilp6jgumbv5fq2m5rh16i70@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21192&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21192

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:44:25 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:44 UTC

On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12:17 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 26 Jan 2024
>23:22:20, Steveski <steveski@invalid.com> writes

>>> IKEA? They have some very nice crockery colours now, a bit like
>>>Denby but not so expensive.
>>The Everyday version of Denby? I use it and like it.
>>
>I happened to be in a Morrisons today (Folkestone) and looked - and they
>have several different styles of plates etc. (didn't seem that cheap to
>me, but I've no idea what is the norm), of what seemed reasonable
>quality. The rounded-square style was reduced - presumably not selling.
>They had cutlery too.

sINGLE MUGS £1 in Asda

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<i5abritlnhgg6p7v1kb8g0liugo4f3cuqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21193&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21193

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 01:08:07 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 01:08 UTC

On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:38:37 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 26-Jan-24 23:49, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:02:15 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>>> Judging by Wofe's behaviour, it can lead to penury and a dire need for
>>> extra cupboards.
>>
>> Yes... well... I've become quite good at getting what I want at the
>> price that I want but I still haven't tried selling anything on there
>> and I'm probably even less Marie Kondo than your wofe.
>
>I googled the name, but I will have forgotten about it by bedtime.

I suppose your memory will tidy it up just out of mind.

Nick

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<l1ml9mFe6tmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21197&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21197

From: rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com (BrritSki)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:32:39 +0000
 by: BrritSki - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 09:32 UTC

On 28/01/2024 00:44, Vicky wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12:17 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 26 Jan 2024
>> 23:22:20, Steveski <steveski@invalid.com> writes

>>> The Everyday version of Denby? I use it and like it.
>>>
>> I happened to be in a Morrisons today (Folkestone) and looked - and they
>> have several different styles of plates etc. (didn't seem that cheap to
>> me, but I've no idea what is the norm), of what seemed reasonable
>> quality. The rounded-square style was reduced - presumably not selling.
>> They had cutlery too.
>
> sINGLE MUGS £1 in Asda

A bit rude. They don't choose to be single you know.

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<up58sg$3rpuu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21198&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21198

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:05:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:4GG0bKW6a+u5eB2sYIE3w3aq8sg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:05 UTC

BrritSki <rtilburyTAKEOUT@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 00:44, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12:17 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 26 Jan 2024
>>> 23:22:20, Steveski <steveski@invalid.com> writes

>>> I happened to be in a Morrisons today (Folkestone) and looked - and they
>>> have several different styles of plates etc. (didn't seem that cheap to
>>> me, but I've no idea what is the norm), of what seemed reasonable
>>> quality. The rounded-square style was reduced - presumably not selling.
>>> They had cutlery too.
>>
>> sINGLE MUGS £1 in Asda
>
> A bit rude. They don't choose to be single you know.

Aren’t they wedded to the idea then?!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<2p1dripd7a88drifhkv9cs56g4qnstvio0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21207&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21207

From: chris@cdixon.me.uk (Chris J Dixon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:56:20 +0000
 by: Chris J Dixon - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 16:56 UTC

Penny wrote:

>I really must start getting rid of stuff.
>Some years ago, before I moved to Wales, I came across a big box full of
>Wedgwood 'Blue Pacific' in a local junk shop. I liked the look of it and,
>as they only asked £40 for the lot, I bought it.
>
>EBay showed it was a discontinued line and individual pieces attracted
>surprisingly high prices. I sorted out the bits I didn't want - tea set,
>coffee set, mugs, veg dishes, tea plates, and auctioned them all
>individually with a starting price of 99p. I made £400 and still have
>enough crockery to serve a three course meal to 9 people

Wow!

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham
chris@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<xFxtN.290374$PuZ9.83100@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21210&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21210

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:11:25 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:11 UTC

On 28-Jan-24 9:32, BrritSki wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 00:44, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:12:17 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <l1it5jFl9q0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 26 Jan 2024
>>> 23:22:20, Steveski <steveski@invalid.com> writes

>>> I happened to be in a Morrisons today (Folkestone) and looked - and they
>>> have several different styles of plates etc. (didn't seem that cheap to
>>> me, but I've no idea what is the norm), of what seemed reasonable
>>> quality. The rounded-square style was reduced - presumably not selling.
>>> They had cutlery too.
>>
>> sINGLE MUGS £1 in Asda
>
> A bit rude. They don't choose to be single you know.

I think we all know about those single people spending time in the
supermarket aisles.

<https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/08/have-you-heard-of-the-supermarket-dating-code-heres-what-it-means-18404977/>

(Which promises far more than it delivers, quelle surprise.)

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Am I out of step with the rest of the world?

<eGxtN.290375$PuZ9.278609@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21211&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21211

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:12:11 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:12 UTC

On 28-Jan-24 1:08, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jan 2024 18:38:37 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Yes... well... I've become quite good at getting what I want at the
>>> price that I want but I still haven't tried selling anything on there
>>> and I'm probably even less Marie Kondo than your wofe.
>>
>> I googled the name, but I will have forgotten about it by bedtime.
>
> I suppose your memory will tidy it up just out of mind.

Memory of what?

--
Sam Plusnet