"So why don't you make like a tree, and get outta here." -- Biff in "Back to the Future"

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Jenny M Benson
+* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Jim Easterbrook
|`- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Jenny M Benson
+* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Penny
|+- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Chris
|+- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Joe Kerr
|`* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Nick Odell
| `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Jim Easterbrook
|  `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Jenny M Benson
|   `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)nick
|    `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Joe Kerr
|     `- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Nick Odell
+- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Chris
+* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Joe Kerr
|`* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Nick Odell
| `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Joe Kerr
|  +- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Mike McMillan
|  `- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Sam Plusnet
+* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)kosmo
|`* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Sam Plusnet
| +- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Chris
| +- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Mike McMillan
| +* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Nick Odell
| |`- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Sam Plusnet
| `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Joe Kerr
|  `- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Sam Plusnet
`* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Steve Hague
 `* Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Vicky
  `- Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)Sam Plusnet

Pages:12
Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)

<NcUtN.248361$Ama9.190428@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21269&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21269

Subject: Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:50:51 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:50 UTC

On 29-Jan-24 13:31, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:51:33 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>>> Couriers seem unable to ring our doorbell and if I am in the study
>>> knocking on the door and running away is useless so there is no
>>> knowledge a package has been dumped on the door.
>>>
>> Maybe we are all expected to have one of those video doorbell things so
>> we can spot the delivery.
>> If I spotted a stealth delivery person, I would like to set off a loud
>> klaxon which (hopefully) would scare the pants off of them.
>
> Given that we now know that Amazon have access to the video streams
> produced by those doorbells[1] their so-called proof of delivery ought
> to be trumped by their own video evidence in those circumstances. It
> won't solve the laptop-substituted-for-a-housebrick problem,
> unfortunately, but that's a different issue.
>
> Nick
> [1]That they have just been forced in the USA to stop automatically
> providing footage to the police without a warrant ought to be proof
> enough

Other video doorbells are available (I think).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)

<OfUtN.248362$Ama9.61876@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21270&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21270

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:54:04 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:54 UTC

On 29-Jan-24 15:18, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 19:51, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>>>
>>> Couriers seem unable to ring our doorbell and if I am in the study
>>> knocking on the door and running away is useless so there is no
>>> knowledge a package has been dumped on the door.
>>>
>> Maybe we are all expected to have one of those video doorbell things
>> so we can spot the delivery.
>> If I spotted a stealth delivery person, I would like to set off a loud
>> klaxon which (hopefully) would scare the pants off of them.
>>
> I was thinking of an automated sensor system that would drop/shoot a
> large net over them/

"We apologise for the non-delivery of your parcel. Our delivery person
was snared by a customer on an earlier part of the delivery route.
We have a hostage negotiator on the way to try and secure their release."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)

<jkUtN.248363$Ama9.242885@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21272&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21272

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:58:54 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:58 UTC

On 29-Jan-24 13:20, Vicky wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 13:00:42 +0000, Steve Hague
> <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 27/01/2024 14:42, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> On the whole I am a big fan of Amazon and thing Mr Bezos has got so much
>>> right which other sellers would do well to imitate.  But  lately I have
>>> noticed quite an important flaw.
>>>
>>> The last 2 packages I have had delivered by Amazon have been left
>>> outside my front door when there has been NO attempt to deliver them to
>>> me personally.  On both occasions I have been at home and would have
>>> heard either a knock or a doorbell ring.  My front door is not in a
>>> garden or behind a fence or hidden in anyway, opening onto a courtyard
>>> which is frequented by numerous neighbours, tradespeople, etc.  I have
>>> had 2 parcels stolen from my front door in the past.
>>>
>>> In the e-mail sent to say packages have been delivered there are links
>>> to click if the delivery was "great" or "not so great."  They both lead
>>> to the same webpage where there is nowhere to make further comment,
>>> elaborate on your compliment/complaint or send a message to Amazon.
>>>
>>> Harrumph!
>>

> So he delivered and photographed it and then took it??

(Assuming you mean Steve's parcel.)

Perhaps he recognised what was in the parcel, and wanted one for himself.
If it vanished _after_ he delivered the goods (proven by the photo) then
no-one would be able to blame him for the theft[1].

[1] Unless the customer was "at home a few feet away from the front door"

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)

<s1hlridl2uqoit7ujj6te87c3cags6fa6v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21322&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21322

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:57:28 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:57 UTC

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 15:39:45 +0000, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
wrote:

>On 28/01/2024 17:04, nick wrote:
>> Jenny M Benson wrote:

>>> Did you (or anyrat) happen to hear the recent "Words for Sale" episode
>>> of Word of Mouth?  Definitely one of those "whatever is the world
>>> coming to?" moments (which come round all the more frequently as one
>>> approaches 80!).  I was horrified by what goes on.  Should be
>>> compulsory listening for *everyone* I think.
>>
>> Just listened to it now.
>>
>> We all sort-of knew about this sort of thing going on but hearing it
>> talked about so clearly and with actual examples was a real eye-opener.
>> And those prices! I had naively thought that we were talking about
>> tenths of a penny - the sort of royalty payments Spotify make whenever
>> anybody streams a music track. Just think: when I'm buying a length of
>> guttering, incorporated in the price is the several pounds search fee
>> the company has paid to make me purchase it.
>>
>> Nick
>
>I'm still trying to fully understand the implications. (And resist the
>urge to repeatedly click on the links for companies I don't like.)

For one thing, despite all the protestations that the internet has
made everything cheaper, it's more evidence of more companies
inserting themselves between buyer and seller in more situations and
siphoning off more money from those transactions.

Nick

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: Unhappy with Amazon (for a change)