Buck-passing usually turns out to be a boomerang.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Y’all asleep?!

SubjectAuthor
* Y’all asleep?!Mike McMillan
+* Re: Y?all asleep?!Vicky

Pages:123
Y’all asleep?!

<uqslhq$10b1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21777&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21777

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Y’all asleep?!
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:18:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3tki0edG7c0CzlvE4D8HrqPLVVQ=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:18 UTC

Just that really.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<v3p3ti5d8jvrppir54igqmlmv675ro6ur1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21778&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21778

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Y???all asleep?!
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:08:10 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:08 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 10:18:34 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Just that really.

I was testing how far I could drive before my arm began aching and
caught a chunk of the omnibus. Harry was really obnoxious during the
mini golf and David was in the bar. Sad that Kenton seems to have
ptsd. I got home before Harry got drunk. Harrison was lovely. I do
wish Fallon wouls change her mind and get pregnant, or get pregnant
and change her mind.

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<7cbcf0f6f4e7275fe725456ad9c33a96@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21779&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21779

From: docary64@gmail.com (PYoung)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:31:18 +0000
 by: PYoung - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 11:31 UTC

I must admit I am at a bit of a loose end. I managed to obtain some Rich Tea Fingers yesterday - at a Garden Centre near Lowestoft. They have a short shelf life so are probably old stock. But never mind, they are finger shaped and small enough to dunk. I do like the challenge of having something to search for.

Rather than give up chocolate for Lent this year, I decided to throw out something each day. Day one, I started with old uninteresting magazines and continued with holey (Mike, that is things with holes - not Holy) smalls and useless bits of stationery. By Easter, I shall probably be throwing out things I need.

Pauline

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<vOngVZHmjf0lFwaW@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21780&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21780

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32 UTC

In message <7cbcf0f6f4e7275fe725456ad9c33a96@www.novabbs.com> at Sun, 18
Feb 2024 11:31:18, PYoung <docary64@gmail.com> writes
>I must admit I am at a bit of a loose end. I managed to obtain some
>Rich Tea Fingers yesterday - at a Garden Centre near Lowestoft. They
>have a short shelf life so are probably old stock. But never mind,
>they are finger shaped and small enough to dunk. I do like the
>challenge of having something to search for.

I do to a certain extent, but it often palls - especially in
supermarkets. I've ONCE - in 40+ years - seen a "X that was here is now
in aisle Y" sign. There is always the suspicion that they hope, while
looking for something, you'll see other things you wouldn't otherwise
have bought.

I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

>Rather than give up chocolate for Lent this year, I decided to throw
>out something each day. Day one, I started with old uninteresting

An impending case had a similar effect on me - lots of stuff to-the-dump
(which always makes me think William Tell/Lone Ranger); one visit I had
so many computers (of the kept-as-they-might-be-useful-some-day) and the
like that I even had to fill in a form at the dump to say they were all
from a private home, not a business!

>magazines and continued with holey (Mike, that is things with holes -
>not Holy) smalls and useless bits of stationery. By Easter, I shall

I rather like the concept of Holy smalls! Though "useless bits of
stationery" - does not compute, in the same way for manyrats a chocolate
store doesn't.

>probably be throwing out things I need.

(-:

>Pauline
John

"Does Barbie come with Ken?"
"Barbie comes with G.I. Joe. She fakes it with Ken." - anonymous

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<jq14ti99pfb41f2dvcvh5pl4dk4dakdpuq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21781&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21781

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:36:03 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:36 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
that are no longer where they were.

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21782&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21782

From: wenlock.house@googlemail.com (Wenlock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gslYxGHo2g3+6oirFUvvkWcbXaM=
 by: Wenlock - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50 UTC

J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
[Is "therefrom" a word in
> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
therewithin.

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.

*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<uqt2ak$150b9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21783&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21783

From: joe_kerr@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56:34 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56 UTC

On 18/02/2024 13:36, Vicky wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>> three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>> what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>> they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>> code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>> therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>
> JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
> as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
> the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
> that are no longer where they were.

Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout too ...

--
Ric

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<YjS9O8Jz9h0lFw$j@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21784&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21784

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:17:07 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:17 UTC

In message <uqt2ak$150b9$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56:34,
Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> writes
>On 18/02/2024 13:36, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally
>>>two or
>>> three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>>> what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>>> they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>>> code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>>> therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>> JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
>> as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
>> the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
>> that are no longer where they were.

I said as much elsewhere in the post.

>Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
>looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
>idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout
>too ...

Hadn't thought of that! Yes, good move, as I now usually _do_ shop at
two supermarkets. Trouble is, it's usually Lidl first, and they're _not_
usually guilty of moving stuff about: if something isn't in its usual
place, it's out of stock (or, occasionally, they've stopped stocking
it). I can only think of one or two occasions I've been aware of a move,
and that then stayed in the new position.

as St Augustine says, feeling resentment is like drinking poison and waiting
for the other person to die. Ed Stourton, in RT 2023/1/21-27

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<ZQLNSeKUEi0lFwsW@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21785&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21785

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:24:04 +0000
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:24 UTC

In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>[Is "therefrom" a word in
>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>
>It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>therewithin.
>
>I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.

I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin! Though therefore
_is_ different to the others - therefor matches them better.

I also like the nine words h-|wh-|th- -ere|-ence|-ither, rather than the
xxx from and xxx to word pairs, but I realise they're considered archaic
nowadays, unlike their German. (Oh, and -with, and probably others,
quite likely many from the above list!)

>*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.

Ah, would that be Zimmerman's? (-:

as St Augustine says, feeling resentment is like drinking poison and waiting
for the other person to die. Ed Stourton, in RT 2023/1/21-27

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<9i94tip2l78atcvpakmtrs2qdpkooveerf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21786&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21786

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:49:43 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:49 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]

Some stores have barcode scanners so that you may check that the price
of an item is what you think it is. As for the terminals to find the
location of stuff, I think these days one is expected to download the
supermarket's "app" onto ones mobile phone. (Me neither.)

Nick

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<br94tidenbg1kmf91hi6b8o4m5hdi35s48@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21787&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21787

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52:18 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 15:52 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15 -0000 (UTC), Wenlock
<wenlock.house@googlemail.com> wrote:

>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>[Is "therefrom" a word in
>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>
>It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>therewithin.
>
>I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.

Aha! That would be the quote from Henry Crumb to Minnie Bannister,
then!

Nick

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<875xylenf8.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21788&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21788

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:40:11 +0000
sha1:HJ58vDuIMhKN0oWdLAx+L0QUET0=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:40 UTC

"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> writes:

> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024
> 13:50:15, Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>>J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>[Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>>It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>>thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>>thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>>thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>>theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>>therewithin.
>>
>>I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>
> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin! Though
> therefore _is_ different to the others - therefor matches them better.
>
> I also like the nine words h-|wh-|th- -ere|-ence|-ither, rather than
> the xxx from and xxx to word pairs, but I realise they're considered
> archaic nowadays, unlike their German. (Oh, and -with, and probably
> others, quite likely many from the above list!)
>>
>>*It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.
>
> Ah, would that be Zimmerman's? (-:

I understand that Bob takes against people who call him that.

Rosie

Re: Y’all asleep?!

<871q99encm.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21789&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21789

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:41:45 +0000
sha1:1gJl99yAnyQtJWQKah6U5jklTTg=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 16:41 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:

> Just that really.

Have you suddenly turned Texan, young McToodles?

Rosie

Re: Y’all asleep?!

<uqte8u$1c2g8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21790&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21790

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:20:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZdqD1eJuZQtUUJPMt9ClUNFh8LM=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 17:20 UTC

Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:
>
>> Just that really.
>
> Have you suddenly turned Texan, young McToodles?
>
> Rosie

No, just lazy😉

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<llh4tipuhummc3ku9aak3bnam54gdvidi3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21791&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21791

From: vicky.ayech@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:04:57 +0000
 by: Vicky - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 18:04 UTC

On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:56:34 +0000, Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com>
wrote:

>On 18/02/2024 13:36, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>>> three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>>> what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>>> they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>>> code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>>> therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>> JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
>> as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
>> the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
>> that are no longer where they were.
>
>Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
>looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
>idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout too ...

If I can find a member of staff I ask them.

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<p5tAN.175096$c1y8.120926@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21792&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21792

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:43:17 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:43 UTC

On 18-Feb-24 13:56, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 18/02/2024 13:36, Vicky wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 Feb 2024 12:32:38 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver"
>> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I've thought for a long time there should be a terminal - ideally two or
>>> three - somewhere in the centre of the store, where people could type in
>>> what they were looking for, and it shows a range of hits and what aisle
>>> they're in (and whether in stock). Ideally, it should also have a bar
>>> code scanner, so customers could bring empty packaging (just the barcode
>>> therefrom) and scan it rather than typing. [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>> JP, the thing is they want you to walk all round looking for things,
>> as you then see other things you decide to get. That's why they change
>> the products around now and then, so you have to search for things
>> that are no longer where they were.
>
> Yes. but if I cant find things that have been moved I go walk all round
> looking for things in a competitor where I probably have a reasonable
> idea of where to find them. Unless they have rearranged their layout too

This is a "it depends on where you live" sort of thing.

Most of our groceries are delivered, so I don't go to supermarkets very
often, but if I do visit the nearest one (eTsco) I would have to drive
another 4 miles or so to visit another.

P.S. I just remembered that there is a new Aldi only 2 miles from the
first, but it's so placed that it's an absolute sod to escape (it
debouches onto a roundabout, where the oncoming traffic zooms past far
too quickly for you to egress).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<X7tAN.175097$c1y8.145939@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21793&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21793

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:46:00 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:46 UTC

On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>> English? It should be; it is in German (davon).]
>>
>> It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>> thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>> thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>> thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>> theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>> therewithin.
>>
>> I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>
> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!

Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
it would be used to treat.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Y’all asleep?!

<99tAN.175098$c1y8.610@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21794&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21794

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:47:17 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 19:47 UTC

On 18-Feb-24 17:20, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Rosie Mitchell <rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:
>> Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> writes:
>>
>>> Just that really.
>>
>> Have you suddenly turned Texan, young McToodles?
>>
>> Rosie
>>

> No, just lazy😉

That "Y'all" was really a stifled yawn.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<uqtv5p$1femo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21795&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21795

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:08:57 +0000
 by: john ashby - Sun, 18 Feb 2024 22:08 UTC

On 18/02/2024 19:46, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024
>> 13:50:15, Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>>
>>> It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>>> thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>>> thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>>> thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>>> theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>>> therewithin.
>>>
>>> I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>>
>> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!
>
> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug.  I have no idea what
> it would be used to treat.

My first thought was thuranglilitis, but of course that's an ondes martinu.

There are theremin pillars in the Wonderlab, the hands-on kids zone in
the Science Museum and a working standard theremin in the Bate
Collection of Musical Instruments in the University of Oxford.

john

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<2703137911a46a7978b488f8b80d7dd9@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21796&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21796

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (nick)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 02:09:34 +0000
 by: nick - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 02:09 UTC

john ashby wrote:

> On 18/02/2024 19:46, Sam Plusnet wrote:
>> On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024
>>> 13:50:15, Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes

>>> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!
>>
>> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug.  I have no idea what
>> it would be used to treat.
>>

> My first thought was thuranglilitis, but of course that's an ondes martinu.

> There are theremin pillars in the Wonderlab, the hands-on kids zone in
> the Science Museum and a working standard theremin in the Bate
> Collection of Musical Instruments in the University of Oxford.

....which all of a sudden reminded me of the recently late Jeremy Montagu.
I see there is now a Jeremy Montagu collection at the museum. I never met
him but from correspondence I took him to be both deeply knowledgeable and
kindly. Many years ago I had a couple of "papers" published in a journal
that he edited. I say "papers" because they weren't really any more
scholarly than the stuff I used to write for the monthly music mags but
he seemed happy to tolerate my submissions.

Nick

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<l3giv3FqqagU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21797&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21797

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:48:36 +0000
 by: Jane Vernon - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 08:48 UTC

On 18/02/2024 16:40, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
> "J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> writes:
>
>> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024
>> 13:50:15, Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>>
>>> It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>>> thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>>> thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>>> thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>>> theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>>> therewithin.
>>>
>>> I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>>
>> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin! Though
>> therefore _is_ different to the others - therefor matches them better.
>>
>> I also like the nine words h-|wh-|th- -ere|-ence|-ither, rather than
>> the xxx from and xxx to word pairs, but I realise they're considered
>> archaic nowadays, unlike their German. (Oh, and -with, and probably
>> others, quite likely many from the above list!)
>>>
>>> *It’s bad luck to use its proper name on USENET.
>>
>> Ah, would that be Zimmerman's? (-:
>
> I understand that Bob takes against people who call him that.
>
> Rosie

OTOH, from "You Gotta Serve Somebody"

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me RJ, you may call me Ray
You may call me anything, no matter what you say
You're still gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Yes, you're gonna have to serve somebody (serve somebody)
Well, it may be the Devil and it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<uqv5l6$1pr36$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21798&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21798

From: toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:05:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eUk6FbqvYNAdl6GDcu4fxTcQUA8=
 by: Mike McMillan - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:05 UTC

Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
> On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
>> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes
>>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> [Is "therefrom" a word in
>>>
>>> It’s in the Scottish Dictionary* along with thereabout, thereafter,
>>> thereagainst, thereamong, thereanent, thereat, thereaway, therebeside,
>>> thereby, therefor, therefore, therein, thereinafter, thereinbefore,
>>> thereinto, theremin, thereof, thereon, thereout, therethrough, thereto,
>>> theretofore, thereunder, thereunto, therewith, therewithall and
>>> therewithin.
>>>
>>> I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to spot the odd one out.
>>
>> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!
>
> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
> it would be used to treat.

Hand Tremors?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<uqv8p6$1q96m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21799&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21799

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:59:02 +0000
 by: john ashby - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 09:59 UTC

On 19/02/2024 09:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
> Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>> On 18-Feb-24 15:24, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>> In message <uqt1un$14osv$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 18 Feb 2024 13:50:15,
>>> Wenlock <wenlock.house@googlemail.com> writes

>>> I was going to say therefore, until I got to theremin!
>>
>> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
>> it would be used to treat.
>>

> Hand Tremors?

Natural vibrato.

john

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<l3gpnqFsffoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21800&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21800

From: NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 10:44:10 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 19 Feb 2024 10:44 UTC

On 19/02/2024 09:05, Mike McMillan wrote:
>> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug. I have no idea what
>> it would be used to treat.
>>
> Hand Tremors?

VG!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: Y?all asleep?!

<ur2sr2$2l4h5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=21814&group=uk.media.radio.archers#21814

From: chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:59:46 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BtOU5WE/5H3c/X2mjT9aPBknUiw=
 by: Chris - Tue, 20 Feb 2024 18:59 UTC

nick <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> john ashby wrote:

>>> Theremin sounds very much like a prescription drug.  I have no idea what
>>> it would be used to treat.
>>>

>> My first thought was thuranglilitis, but of course that's an ondes martinu.
>
>> There are theremin pillars in the Wonderlab, the hands-on kids zone in
>> the Science Museum and a working standard theremin in the Bate
>> Collection of Musical Instruments in the University of Oxford.
>
> ...which all of a sudden reminded me of the recently late Jeremy Montagu.
> I see there is now a Jeremy Montagu collection at the museum. I never met
> him but from correspondence I took him to be both deeply knowledgeable and
> kindly. Many years ago I had a couple of "papers" published in a journal
> that he edited. I say "papers" because they weren't really any more
> scholarly than the stuff I used to write for the monthly music mags but
> he seemed happy to tolerate my submissions.
>
> Nick

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Moog

Mrs McT