If you didn't have most of your friends, you wouldn't have most of your problems.

aus+uk / uk.telecom / Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVs

SubjectAuthor
* BT Cabinets to charge EVsTweed
+* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsMolly Mockford
|+- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsRichmond
|+- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsDavid Wade
|`- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsTim+
+* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsLiz Tuddenham
|+- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsAndy Burns
|`* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsTheo
| +- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsMark Carver
| +* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsTim+
| |+* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsMark Carver
| ||`* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsBob Latham
| || +- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsThe Natural Philosopher
| || `* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsLiz Tuddenham
| ||  +- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsThe Natural Philosopher
| ||  `- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsWoody
| |`* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsJMB99
| | `* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsJMB99
| |  `* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsNY
| |   `- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsJMB99
| `* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsPeter Johnson
|  +- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsAndy Burns
|  `- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsTheo
`* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsBrian Gaff
 +* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsAndy Burns
 |`- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsJMB99
 `* Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsnib
  `- Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVsAndy Burns

Pages:12
Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVs

<unrf3s$3fi21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2185&group=uk.telecom#2185

From: news@ingram-bromley.co.uk (nib)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Subject: Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:33:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: nib - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:33 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:14:45 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Now you are not going to tell me that the needs of a telephone network
> current wise is not going to work for chargers, its bleedin obvious its
> not unless its very low current. Are they on three phase? are they
> separate from the mains for houses?. So many unmentioned questions.
> Brian

Obviously not the same supply connection, but maybe there is existing
ducting between the cabinet and some better source of electricity needing
only a thicker cable drawn in?

I assume similar applies to the charging points on street lamps, the post
is already there in the right place, cable runs are already there, so
minimum new work.

OTOH just down from me they have just put in another 8 slow chargers in a
parking bay and that required 2 days road works to get the cable across
the estate feeder road.

nib

Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVs

<l0cts2F5ah6U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2186&group=uk.telecom#2186

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:41:21 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 13:41 UTC

nib wrote:

> maybe there is existing
> ducting between the cabinet and some better source of electricity needing
> only a thicker cable drawn in?

If green cabinets are in such ideal locations for an EV charger, why
hasn't someone already installed one nearby?

Re: BT Cabinets to charge EVs

<uns04a$3i4v7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=2188&group=uk.telecom#2188

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:24:09 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:24 UTC

On 12/01/2024 13:32, Andy Burns wrote:
> Judging from the scars on the tarmac, most of them tap into the street
> lighting supply.

SOme years ago we had a talk from the local Hydro Electric engineer. He
started, from school, in Campblemtown at the end of WWII (so a lot of
matelots around.

They were regular reports of one streetlight in the town centre being
out but when they checked next dat, it was OK.

So he had a walk up to the location on evening, there was cable running
from the light fitting to the upper floor window of a nearby tenement.

He went inside and saw it went to one particular flat, there was a
heavily made-up 'lady' there so asked what was going on.

She was a local 'professional lady' and her son would shin the lamp
post, take out the bulb and connect a cable that went to their flat
where was using an iron.

Next day he got a double adaptor out of stores and gave it to her.

It was quite embarrassing as he passed her in the street with her work
colleagues and she thanked him for the previous night!