That government is best which governs least. -- Henry David Thoreau, "Civil Disobedience"

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: OT: UC

SubjectAuthor
* OT: UCChris J Dixon
+* Re: OT: UCJohn Armstrong
`* Re: OT: UCClive Arthur
 `* Re: OT: UCJ. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: OT: UCRosie Mitchell
   `* Re: OT: UCJ. P. Gilliver
    `- Re: OT: UCRosie Mitchell

Pages:123
Re: OT: UC

<87mspuwn9a.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22972&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22972

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: UC
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:26:25 +0100
sha1:M1TEw3yFCkyW4xOkx1t09MDmCqU=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 17:26 UTC

john ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> writes:

> On 15/04/2024 13:37, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> nick <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes:

>>> BTN for Randall Munroe!
>> I'm referring this upstairs to establish what you and Nick are on
>> about.
>> Rosie
>
> As BTM Emeritus (and without wishing to undermine the present
> incumbent or to suggest any notion that I might be regarde as
> "uostairs (and cetainly not in the bedroom of the window dresser from
> Bourne and Hollingsworth (Arcane References R Us))) (That's enough
> parentheses, Ed) Might I venture that if it is so arcane that you need
> to refer it to a higher authority, even with all your knowledge,
> erudition and worldly experience, then without an extremely good
> explanation it's unlikely to offend enough Aunt Ednas to qualify as
> BaD Taste. Your mileage may (and probably will) vary.

Please, no interfering with the Third Umpire. That's also me by the way,
in my investigative capacity and also while I go out for some cat food
and loo rolls and then have a nap. I'm not as young as I was – I'm
nearly 70 – and I find an afternoon nap therapeutic.

Anyway, I'm awake now, and this is my longer-than-usual ruling.

The name Randall Munroe wasn't fully familiar to me, but the xkcd online
comic is, and I have often found it amusing and on the nail. I have
ascertained that Mr Munroe is the creator of xkcd. I examined the item
alleged to be the source of the Bad Taste, but found I could not reach a
conclusion either way without knowing more about Gordon Lightfoot's song.

I know Gordon Lightfoot by name but I have to say, without prejudice, that
to me he has always been the 'other' Canadian singer-songwriter as
opposed to Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young or Robbie Robertson
and I am unfamiliar with his œuvre. So I listened to the song a couple
of times and looked into the background story. I was then able to make a ruling.

In the matter of Mr Lightfoot, I find that his song The Wreck of the
Hesperus¹, sorry, the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, was enjoyable but
contains errors of fact the writer must have known were potentially
defamatory since no cause of the wreck had been established when he
allowed the song to be broadcast even as the families of the dead were
in mourning. There may have been a case for a BTN if one had been raised
but I'd have had to have been in a very peculiar mood to allow it. But
one wasn't. And that was another country and besides the wench is
dead. As is Gordon Lightfoot, and I am using this ruling to establish,
without binding my successors, that during my tenure as BTM I will not
be allowing BTNs against deceased people. Not even Nigel Pargetter.

In the matter of Mr Munroe, I found his comic rather funny in the
circumstances. It was a well-aimed barb but not an undeserved one, and
was not in my view either in Bad Taste or Mere Vulgarity. I therefore
clear Mr Munroe and turn down the nomination.

Who's have thought that being BTN could be such an afternoon's
education!

Rosie

¹ By HW Longfellow of course, which is where we came in although set on
the coast of Maine rather than the shores of Gitche-Goomee (which
Lightfoot seems to equate, incorrectly, with Lake Superior while the
Onondaga inhabited what is now Central and Western New York on the
southern shore of Lake Ontario) . I think Longfellow should have stuck
with what he knew instead of wading blindly and uninvited into the ways
of the Onondaga poeple of the Iroquois Confederacy, of which he knew
sod all.

Re: OT: UC

<TneTN.77633$kt2.15645@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22973&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22973

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:31:14 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:31 UTC

On 15-Apr-24 13:55, john ashby wrote:
> On 15/04/2024 13:37, Rosie Mitchell wrote:
>> nick <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> writes:

>>> BTN for Randall Munroe!
>>
>> I'm referring this upstairs to establish what you and Nick are on about.
>>
>> Rosie
>
> As BTM Emeritus (and without wishing to undermine the present incumbent
> or to suggest any notion that I might be regarde as "uostairs (and
> cetainly not in the bedroom of the window dresser from Bourne and
> Hollingsworth (Arcane References R Us))) (That's enough parentheses, Ed)
> Might I venture that if it is so arcane that you need to refer it to a
> higher authority, even with all your knowledge, erudition and worldly
> experience, then without an extremely good explanation it's unlikely to
> offend enough Aunt Ednas to qualify as BaD Taste. Your mileage may (and
> probably will) vary.

Verging on BUMRA and BURMA in a single post! Well done.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OT: UC

<uvjs7r$e2t6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22974&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22974

From: johnashby20@yahoo.com (john ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:38:51 +0100
 by: john ashby - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:38 UTC

Every day is a school day.

john

Re: OT: UC

<l874peFaj15U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22977&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22977

From: spam@nopotteratthisaddress.co.uk (Jane Vernon)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:12:47 +0100
 by: Jane Vernon - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:12 UTC

On 15/04/2024 11:07, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 15/04/2024 09:12, Jane Vernon wrote:

>>> He's got an OBE now, he's above that sort of thing these days!
>>>

>> Rob Linham has?
>>

> Yes, a decade ago, for services to human rights policy
>
> <https://www.gov.uk/government/people/rob-linham>

Thank you, that's very interesting.

--
Jane
The Amethyst Artist

Re: OT: UC

<21qv1j9ph853ogkcmvqpq8e2fadda3d9he@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22978&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22978

From: nickodell49@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:19:44 +0100
References: <ig1a1j97aurg2muan79eggocvu02ar29ab@4ax.com> <l7mtmrFpokbU1@mid.individual.net> <l7qhskFbg7tU2@mid.individual.net> <l7usk5F1jgmU1@mid.individual.net> <i6un1jli2h2siuju0cs324prjc3rp97sfb@4ax.com> <vubo1j5p7vb3nf6s3rstukv3r9ldhammiq@4ax.com> <uvhhrn$3rat3$1@dont-email.me> <7304e56b0e201676d2bc63ef906d2938@www.novabbs.com> <87zftux0mf.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> <uvj83c$94cv$1@dont-email.me> <87mspuwn9a.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:19 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:26:25 +0100, Rosie Mitchell
<rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>
>In the matter of Mr Munroe, I found his comic rather funny in the
>circumstances. It was a well-aimed barb but not an undeserved one, and
>was not in my view either in Bad Taste or Mere Vulgarity. I therefore
>clear Mr Munroe and turn down the nomination.
>
>Who's have thought that being BTN could be such an afternoon's
>education!
>
>Rosie
>

>¹ By HW Longfellow of course, which is where we came in although set on
>the coast of Maine rather than the shores of Gitche-Goomee (which
>Lightfoot seems to equate, incorrectly, with Lake Superior while the
>Onondaga inhabited what is now Central and Western New York on the
>southern shore of Lake Ontario) . I think Longfellow should have stuck
>with what he knew instead of wading blindly and uninvited into the ways
>of the Onondaga poeple of the Iroquois Confederacy, of which he knew

If this doesn't qualify as the longest BTN refusal in umratic history
then it certainly ought to qualify as one of the most interesting and
entertaining. Thank you, Rosie, I enjoyed that.

Nick

Re: OT: UC

<874jbzetb7.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=22984&group=uk.media.radio.archers#22984

From: rcmitchell@golgonooza.co.uk (Rosie Mitchell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:29:48 +0100
<l7mtmrFpokbU1@mid.individual.net> <l7qhskFbg7tU2@mid.individual.net>
<l7usk5F1jgmU1@mid.individual.net>
<i6un1jli2h2siuju0cs324prjc3rp97sfb@4ax.com>
<vubo1j5p7vb3nf6s3rstukv3r9ldhammiq@4ax.com>
<uvhhrn$3rat3$1@dont-email.me>
<7304e56b0e201676d2bc63ef906d2938@www.novabbs.com>
<87zftux0mf.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk> <uvj83c$94cv$1@dont-email.me>
<87mspuwn9a.fsf@golgonooza.co.uk>
<21qv1j9ph853ogkcmvqpq8e2fadda3d9he@4ax.com>
sha1:P0+X9yH4SOQrA1VxDLqXDOKNO/w=
 by: Rosie Mitchell - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:29 UTC

Thank you Nick.

Rosie