If it ain't baroque, don't phiques it.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Tongue for England

SubjectAuthor
* Tongue for Englandmike
+- Tongue for Englandmax.it
+* Tongue for Englandjack fredricks
|`- Tongue for EnglandRobert Henderson
`* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
 `* Tongue for EnglandMike Holmans
  `* Tongue for Englandmike
   +- Tongue for EnglandMike Holmans
   `* Tongue for EnglandMike Holmans
    `* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     +* Tongue for Englandmike
     |+- Tongue for EnglandHamish Laws
     |+* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     ||`* Tongue for Englandmike
     || `* Tongue for EnglandHVS
     ||  `- Tongue for EnglandRobert Henderson
     |`* Tongue for Englandmike
     | `* Tongue for Englandmax.it
     |  `* Tongue for Englandmike
     |   `* Tongue for EnglandDavid North
     |    `* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     +* Tongue for Englandmike
     |     |+- Tongue for Englandmike
     |     |`* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     | +* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     | |`* Tongue for Englandmike
     |     | | `* Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     | |  `* Tongue for Englandmike
     |     | |   `- Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     | `* Tongue for EnglandDavid North
     |     |  `- Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     |     `* Tongue for EnglandDavid North
     |      `- Tongue for EnglandJohn Hall
     `- Tongue for EnglandAdrian

Pages:12
Re: Tongue for England

<wUIZ9yA1xLfkFwFe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26733&group=uk.sport.cricket#26733

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Tongue for England
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:31:49 +0100
<ke161iF265U1@mid.individual.net> <SFr0l7Dky5ekFwJQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<180d0b81-e7d5-4389-aa8a-f0f2a3033786n@googlegroups.com>
<gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 16:31 UTC

In message <gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <180d0b81-e7d5-4389-aa8a-f0f2a3033786n@googlegroups.com>,
>mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
<snip>

>>i thought leach was disappointing. he spent the day aiming at the
>>rough outside leg but just got carted. so many runs went through the
>>leg side as they wernt any fielders in the deep there for much of the day,
>>they had a free hit.
>
>I wondered if he was unwell, as he went off the field a couple of
>times. With his medical problems, that will always be a bit of a
>concern. The possibility of losing Leach is perhaps even more of a
>concern than losing a seamer; there are plenty more seamers to choose
>from, but ATM there's no credible replacement for Leach.

It's been revealed that Leach has now been diagnosed with a stress
fracture of the back and is out for the series.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed

Re: Tongue for England

<ee6dee06-852d-4311-ae8f-48ba6ccf25ebn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26736&group=uk.sport.cricket#26736

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 10:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 17:15 UTC

On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 5:40:00 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
> >In message <180d0b81-e7d5-4389...@googlegroups.com>,
> >mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> <snip>
> >>
> >I wondered if he was unwell, as he went off the field a couple of
> >times. With his medical problems, that will always be a bit of a
> >concern. The possibility of losing Leach is perhaps even more of a
> >concern than losing a seamer; there are plenty more seamers to choose
> >from, but ATM there's no credible replacement for Leach.
> It's been revealed that Leach has now been diagnosed with a stress
> fracture of the back and is out for the series.

yes another piece of bad luck for england and leach. i dont remember
a spinner getting stress back fractures b4! i dunno who they replace
him with. Dawsons a decent bat but not really upto it as a test spinner,
ahmeds not bowled much this season so far, and both he and bess
average about 50 in the CC.

mike

Re: Tongue for England

<ShmBQVBOKOfkFwzP@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26741&group=uk.sport.cricket#26741

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:14:22 +0100
<ke161iF265U1@mid.individual.net> <SFr0l7Dky5ekFwJQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<180d0b81-e7d5-4389-aa8a-f0f2a3033786n@googlegroups.com>
<gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<wUIZ9yA1xLfkFwFe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<ee6dee06-852d-4311-ae8f-48ba6ccf25ebn@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 19:14 UTC

In message <ee6dee06-852d-4311-ae8f-48ba6ccf25ebn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 5:40:000 >> In message <gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
>> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>> >In message <180d0b81-e7d5-4389...@googlegroups.com>,
>> >mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> <snip>
>> >>
>> >I wondered if he was unwell, as he went off the field a couple of
>> >times. With his medical problems, that will always be a bit of a
>> >concern. The possibility of losing Leach is perhaps even more of a
>> >concern than losing a seamer; there are plenty more seamers to choose
>> >from, but ATM there's no credible replacement for Leach.
>> It's been revealed that Leach has now been diagnosed with a stress
>> fracture of the back and is out for the series.
>
>yes another piece of bad luck for england and leach. i dont remember
>a spinner getting stress back fractures b4!

No, I can't remember it happening either. It's usually quick bowlers.

> i dunno who they replace
>him with. Dawsons a decent bat but not really upto it as a test spinner,
>ahmeds not bowled much this season so far, and both he and bess
>average about 50 in the CC.

Lacking a plausible candidate, they may decide that they might as well
pick another quick bowler, with Root providing any spin that's needed.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Tongue for England

<97803bfc-256c-4470-828e-c2ab50105fe9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26745&group=uk.sport.cricket#26745

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 14:22:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 21:22 UTC

On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 8:20:06 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <ee6dee06-852d-4311...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 5:40:000 >> In message <gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
> >> <john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
> >> <snip>

> >> It's been revealed that Leach has now been diagnosed with a stress
> >> fracture of the back and is out for the series.
> >
> >yes another piece of bad luck for england and leach. i dont remember
> >a spinner getting stress back fractures b4!
> No, I can't remember it happening either. It's usually quick bowlers.

on another forum it was suggested it might be down to all the big hitting
leach has been doing in the CC. apparently quite a strike rate!

> > i dunno who they replace
> >him with. Dawsons a decent bat but not really upto it as a test spinner,
> >ahmeds not bowled much this season so far, and both he and bess
> >average about 50 in the CC.
> Lacking a plausible candidate, they may decide that they might as well
> pick another quick bowler, with Root providing any spin that's needed.

in that case we might expect the edgbaston wkt to have a green tinge.

mike

Re: Tongue for England

<RlTBBYAbaafkFwyJ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26754&group=uk.sport.cricket#26754

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 10:10:51 +0100
<ke161iF265U1@mid.individual.net> <SFr0l7Dky5ekFwJQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<180d0b81-e7d5-4389-aa8a-f0f2a3033786n@googlegroups.com>
<gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<wUIZ9yA1xLfkFwFe@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<ee6dee06-852d-4311-ae8f-48ba6ccf25ebn@googlegroups.com>
<ShmBQVBOKOfkFwzP@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<97803bfc-256c-4470-828e-c2ab50105fe9n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 09:10 UTC

In message <97803bfc-256c-4470-828e-c2ab50105fe9n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, June 4, 2023 at 8:20:060 <snip>
>> Lacking a plausible candidate, they may decide that they might as well
>> pick another quick bowler, with Root providing any spin that's needed.

Though even if they end up not picking one in the XI, I suppose they
will want one in the squad, just in case they encounter a pitch that
looks like it's going to turn square.

>in that case we might expect the edgbaston wkt to have a green tinge.
>
>mike

Though England have said they want hard, fast, good batting pitches -
though whether given our weather it's possible to produce those
consistently is another matter. Such pitches are certainly the best if
you want to play Bazball, but I fear that they might play into
Australia's hands, as their players are a lot more accustomed to playing
on them than ours are.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Tongue for England

<42a1aa7c-edfe-47a8-8d40-338b30c678d4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26756&group=uk.sport.cricket#26756

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 05:58:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:58 UTC

On Saturday, 3 June 2023 at 21:13:49 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:

> Though I'm a Surrey fan and a great admirer of Pope, I thought that
> Duckett should have won the Player of the Match award. I was mightily
> impressed by him. He hardly played a false shot, whereas until he
> reached 40 or so Pope was a bit more fallible..

Pope fallible? I see what you did there.

Re: Tongue for England

<2e919403-a81a-4a25-90d6-cd19ea060f3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26757&group=uk.sport.cricket#26757

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 06:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 13:01 UTC

On Sunday, 4 June 2023 at 09:52:41 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <180d0b81-e7d5-4389...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Saturday, June 3, 2023 at 9:13:490 >> In message <ke161i...@mid.individual.net>, David North
> >> <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

> >> England could still have won by one wicket, and it would have been one
> >> of the most exciting Tests ever!
> >> MacBrine and Adair made a pretty good attempt at it. It's a pity neither
> >> got their hundred.
> >
> >more significantly when he took the catch off root he clearly jarred
> >his knee. wasnt a good sign. afterwards when isa was interviewing
> >him alongside vaughn and cook, he seemed very defensive, played
> >down the importance of the ashes, didnt answer any qs directly.
> >it seemed very awkward and was even uncomfortable to watch.
> >he claimed his knee was ok, was never planning to bowl in this
> >match but didnt say whether he could in the ashes.
> IIRC, when he was interviewed on Sky he didn't seem particularly
> defensive and said he would be bowling in the Ashes.
> > he turned
> >his arm over in the warmup b4 the start, well barely. perhaps he
> >can be a non playing captain like in the ryder cup. when asked
> >what they planned to do until the 1st test, he mentioned golf,
> >which seeing what happened to bairstow, seems a bit dodgy.
> Bairstow's was very much a freak accident that could have happened
> almost anywhere. I don't regard golf as a high-risk activity. Now if
> they were planning to go sky-diving or bungee jumping... :)

Indeed. While only an England cricketer could break his leg playing golf, a repetition seems pretty unlikely.

Re: Tongue for England

<DzsijIBQAgfkFwQD@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26760&group=uk.sport.cricket#26760

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:32:32 +0100
<ke161iF265U1@mid.individual.net> <SFr0l7Dky5ekFwJQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<180d0b81-e7d5-4389-aa8a-f0f2a3033786n@googlegroups.com>
<gYCoyVAG7EfkFw3f@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<2e919403-a81a-4a25-90d6-cd19ea060f3an@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 15:32 UTC

In message <2e919403-a81a-4a25-90d6-cd19ea060f3an@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, 4 June 2023 at 09:52:41 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
<snip>
>> Bairstow's was very much a freak accident that could have happened
>> almost anywhere. I don't regard golf as a high-risk activity. Now if
>> they were planning to go sky-diving or bungee jumping... :)
>
>Indeed. While only an England cricketer could break his leg playing
>golf, a repetition seems pretty unlikely.

ISTR that Derek Pringle once missed a Test because he pulled a muscle
while writing a letter.
--
John Hall "[It was] so steep that at intervals the street broke into steps,
like a person breaking into giggles or hiccups, and then resumed
its sober climb, until it had another fit of steps."
Ursula K Le Guin "The Beginning Place"

Re: Tongue for England

<IjegHgBZBgfkFwxq@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26761&group=uk.sport.cricket#26761

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 16:33:45 +0100
<ke161iF265U1@mid.individual.net> <SFr0l7Dky5ekFwJQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<42a1aa7c-edfe-47a8-8d40-338b30c678d4n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 15:33 UTC

In message <42a1aa7c-edfe-47a8-8d40-338b30c678d4n@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Saturday, 3 June 2023 at 21:13:49 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>
>> Though I'm a Surrey fan and a great admirer of Pope, I thought that
>> Duckett should have won the Player of the Match award. I was mightily
>> impressed by him. He hardly played a false shot, whereas until he
>> reached 40 or so Pope was a bit more fallible..
>
>Pope fallible? I see what you did there.

On this occasional it was accidental, I must confess (to keep the
religious them going).