Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy.

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

SubjectAuthor
* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
+* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023max.it
|`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
| `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
|  +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|  +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023Andy Walker
|  |`- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
|  +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023max.it
|  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
 +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |  `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |   |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |   |  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |    `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |     `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |      `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |       |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       | +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023drye...@gmail.com
  |       | |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       | | `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023drye...@gmail.com
  |       | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023mike
  |       |  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

Pages:12
Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh0kk6$1pgh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28955&group=uk.sport.cricket#28955

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Subject: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:44:35 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:44 UTC

Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.

SA amassed 399/7

England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.

From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
which is UNLIKELY.

I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.

England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-1367856/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<gn08jit6866ipnna6a6jphmm9ua25hcqsp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28957&group=uk.sport.cricket#28957

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:04:57 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:04 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:44:35 -0700, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:

>Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.

There's the problem "defending champion".
England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.

>SA amassed 399/7
>
>England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>
> From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>which is UNLIKELY.
>
>I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>
>England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.

I think ECB will be delighted to have another nail in the England 50
overs coffin. It seems obvious that ECB don't care as much for 50
overs as they do for 20 overs or 100 balls.

max.it

>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-1367856/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28958&group=uk.sport.cricket#28958

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:25:26 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:25 UTC

On 10/21/2023 10:04 AM, max.it wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:44:35 -0700, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:
>

>> Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>>

> There's the problem "defending champion".
> England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
> below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
> amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.

I still DON'T understand England's obsession with 100 ball cricket which
NO other country bothered to play.

What's the difference between T20 and 100?

WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?

>> SA amassed 399/7
>>
>> England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>>
>> From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>> including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>> Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>> which is UNLIKELY.
>>
>> I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>>
>> England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>>

> I think ECB will be delighted to have another nail in the England 50
> overs coffin. It seems obvious that ECB don't care as much for 50
> overs as they do for 20 overs or 100 balls.
>
> max.it
>>
>> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-1367856/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

Butler:
Bowling first is potentially a mistake. You always look back on the
decisions you make. Incredibly tough conditions with heat, etc, you saw
that with the boys in the field. Potentially should've batted due to the
heat.

England fans comments on cricinfo commentary:

Fergie at 6.1 overs: "Maybe best if England crash here and put us out of
our misery. This has been a dismal tournament for them reminiscent of
the late 90s - mid 10s."

Josh: "A good laugh and a sound sleep are the cures lads..from Ireland "

Steve Lawrence : "How are England looking on Duckwotth Lewis , if it
starts to rain?" Forecast has 0% rain till 11pm iirc

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<PEKy2NCP9ANlFwny@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28960&group=uk.sport.cricket#28960

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:50:07 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:50 UTC

In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>
>SA amassed 399/7
>
>England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>
>From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>which is UNLIKELY.
>
>I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>
>England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>

>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
of the table.

Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
bat first. Topley's injury and Willey's cramp late on didn't help, but
SA were so massively superior that probably none of that affected the
result. England played well for the first 6 overs of the match and the
last 8 or so when Wood and Atkinson had some fun, but in between they
were pretty poor, with the last 10 overs of SA's innings being a total
horror show.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<gl$puUDZEBNlFwRO@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28961&group=uk.sport.cricket#28961

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:57:45 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:57 UTC

In message <uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>On 10/21/2023 10:04 AM, max.it wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:44:35 -0700, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>>>
>> There's the problem "defending champion".
>> England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
>> below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
>> amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.
>>

>I still DON'T understand England's obsession with 100 ball cricket
>which NO other country bothered to play.
>
>What's the difference between T20 and 100?
>
>WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?

<snip>

I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at least
in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a game, which
might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in this case)
rather than just on Sky.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh1454$1ss3s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28962&group=uk.sport.cricket#28962

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:09:40 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:09 UTC

On 10/21/2023 10:57 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>> On 10/21/2023 10:04 AM, max.it wrote:

>>>  There's the problem "defending champion".
>>> England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
>>> below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
>>> amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.
>>>

>> I still DON'T understand England's obsession with 100 ball cricket
>> which NO other country bothered to play.
>>
>> What's the difference between T20 and 100?
>>
>> WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?
>>
> <snip>
>
> I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
> seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at least
> in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a game, which
> might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in this case)
> rather than just on Sky.

I think, this reduction of total time to play the game PROBLEM exists
ONLY in England.

So, no other cricket playing nation will ever play the 100.

This 100 format will ALSO confuse England team's strategy and tactics in
the T20s.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh14fc$1ss3s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28963&group=uk.sport.cricket#28963

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:15:08 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:15 UTC

On 10/21/2023 10:50 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>
>> Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>>
>> SA amassed 399/7
>>
>> England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>>
>> From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>> including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>> Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>> which is UNLIKELY.
>>
>> I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>>
>> England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>>

>> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>> 6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
>>

> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
> of the table.
>
> Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
> match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
> bat first. Topley's injury and Willey's cramp late on didn't help, but
> SA were so massively superior that probably none of that affected the
> result. England played well for the first 6 overs of the match and the
> last 8 or so when Wood and Atkinson had some fun, but in between they
> were pretty poor, with the last 10 overs of SA's innings being a total
> horror show.

I think Butler really fucked up with his decision to FIELD after winning
the toss.

It also APPEARS that England team management DIDN'T prepare well in
terms of tactics especially in a VERY CRUCIAL MUST WIN GAME for England
to stay in the semis race.

Butler chose to FIELD based on a sample of four matches and moreover he
DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER the weather AS A FACTOR at all.

Columnist Matt Roller:

England were simply exhausted, and not for a lack of basic fitness. "It
certainly looked a bit like a warzone there at times," Mott said. The
problem stemmed from Buttler's choice to bowl first when he won the
toss, a decision he explained by saying: "[This is] generally a good
ground for chasing, so that's the reason behind it."

But like so many decisions England have made in this World Cup, the
explanation relied more on the past than the present and the future.
England wandered out to field at 2pm, when Mumbai's heat and humidity
were at their most oppressive. It was a simple recipe for disaster: 11
Englishmen, left in the pan for four hours until fried to a crisp.

The evidence underlying Buttler's assertion was scant. Chasing teams had
a 75% win record in men's ODIs at the Wankhede over the past decade, but
the sample size was all of four matches. There is a strong chasing bias
in the IPL, but the physical requirements of 90 minutes in the field in
the evening are hardly comparable to a full afternoon in the blazing sun.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh1m5p$20vvk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28964&group=uk.sport.cricket#28964

From: anw@cuboid.co.uk (Andy Walker)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 00:17:13 +0100
 by: Andy Walker - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 23:17 UTC

On 21/10/2023 18:57, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>> What's the difference between T20 and 100?
>> WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?> I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
> seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at
> least in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a
> game, which might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in
> this case) rather than just on Sky.

I think there could have been a couple of decent ideas in there
struggling to come out, but the total effect is a botch. Good ideas:
trying to unify mens and womens cricket; a regional competition; umm,
that seems to be it. Bad: six-ball overs to five-ball or ten-ball
[tinkering for the sake of tinkering and because of needing a snappy
title]; not having [it seems] any qualification rules. I was looking
forward to supporting Trent Rockets, which I thought would perhaps be
an E Midlands side, but no, it's a mongrel with players from Yorks,
Lancs, London, overseas, ... while several Notts players are away
playing for Wales. You just about get used to who is on the Notts
staff this season and it's all change again. I imagine other teams
and their supporters have the same problem.

--
Andy Walker, Nottingham.
Andy's music pages: www.cuboid.me.uk/andy/Music

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<SpdlNkARKNNlFwWc@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28965&group=uk.sport.cricket#28965

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:43:13 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 07:43 UTC

In message <uh1m5p$20vvk$1@dont-email.me>, Andy Walker
<anw@cuboid.co.uk> writes
>On 21/10/2023 18:57, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>><FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>> What's the difference between T20 and 100?
>>> WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?> I
>>>think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
>> seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at
>> least in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a
>> game, which might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in
>> this case) rather than just on Sky.
>
> I think there could have been a couple of decent ideas in there
>struggling to come out, but the total effect is a botch. Good ideas:
>trying to unify mens and womens cricket; a regional competition; umm,
>that seems to be it. Bad: six-ball overs to five-ball or ten-ball
>[tinkering for the sake of tinkering and because of needing a snappy
>title]; not having [it seems] any qualification rules. I was looking
>forward to supporting Trent Rockets, which I thought would perhaps be
>an E Midlands side, but no, it's a mongrel with players from Yorks,
>Lancs, London, overseas, ... while several Notts players are away
>playing for Wales. You just about get used to who is on the Notts
>staff this season and it's all change again. I imagine other teams
>and their supporters have the same problem.

The Oval Invincibles do at least seem to have made an effort to choose
Surrey players, with both Currans, Roy, Jacks and - IIRC - Atkinson. And
their captai8n, Billings is from an adjacent county that doesn't have a
side of its own.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<fen9jid7ust4goos65ojtpadks1eq9edj7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28966&group=uk.sport.cricket#28966

From: max@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 09:35:24 +0100
 by: max.it - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:35 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:57:45 +0100, John Hall
<john_nospam@jhall.co.uk> wrote:

>In message <uh11id$1sau0$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
><FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>On 10/21/2023 10:04 AM, max.it wrote:

>>> There's the problem "defending champion".
>>> England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
>>> below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
>>> amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.
>>>

>>I still DON'T understand England's obsession with 100 ball cricket
>>which NO other country bothered to play.
>>
>>What's the difference between T20 and 100?
>>
>>WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?
>>
><snip>
>
>I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
>seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at least
>in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a game, which
>might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in this case)
>rather than just on Sky.

https://www.6ixtycricket.com/#home

max.it

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<eb4d0c81-c23c-47b7-baaa-1a61d2fe5aa4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28972&group=uk.sport.cricket#28972

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:52:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:52 UTC

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 18:53:33 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
> >
> >Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
> >
> >SA amassed 399/7
> >
> >England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
> >
> >From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
> >including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
> >Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
> >which is UNLIKELY.
> >
> >I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
> >
> >England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
> >

> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
> >6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
> >

> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
> of the table.

Afghanistan will move ahead of England if they reach 222 in the current innings.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<f9388d1b-b2e5-4fea-a6f6-88602b15d9b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28973&group=uk.sport.cricket#28973

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 05:58:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 12:58 UTC

On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 19:03:34 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh11id$1sau0$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
> >On 10/21/2023 10:04 AM, max.it wrote:

> >> There's the problem "defending champion".
> >> England win the world cup and the ECB relegate 50 overs cricket to
> >> below the 100 and send a team of players who have played a reduced
> >> amount of 50 overs cricket to the world cup.
> >>

> >I still DON'T understand England's obsession with 100 ball cricket
> >which NO other country bothered to play.
> >
> >What's the difference between T20 and 100?

Not as much as you'd think from all the fuss that's been made about it.

> >WHY should any country play a format with 20 balls less than T20?
> >
> <snip>
>
> I think it's mostly just a marketing gimmick. Marketing people always
> seem to have an obsession with something being new. I suppose - at least
> in theory - it should reduce the total time taken to play a game, which
> might help in getting it on to free-to-air TV (the BBC in this case)
> rather than just on Sky.

I thought that was the main reason - so that it fitted into the 3-hour slot that T20 was originally meant to fit into, until the players slowed it down.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<scQlcsAXNpNlFwyY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28974&group=uk.sport.cricket#28974

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:37:59 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 15:37 UTC

In message <eb4d0c81-c23c-47b7-baaa-1a61d2fe5aa4n@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 18:53:33 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
>> >
>> >Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>> >
>> >SA amassed 399/7
>> >
>> >England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>> >
>> >From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>> >including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>> >Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>> >which is UNLIKELY.
>> >
>> >I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>> >
>> >England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>> >

>> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>> >6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
>> >

>> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
>> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
>> of the table.
>
>Afghanistan will move ahead of England if they reach 222 in the current
>innings.

And as I type, they are strong favourites to do even better than that
and win the match. Though being at the foot of the table might be
embarrassing for England, if Afghanistan beat Pakistan it will improve
England's chances of finishing ahead of Pakistan. We would still have to
overhaul Australia to make the semis, though, as I'll be surprised if
India, NZ and SA don't all finish in the top four.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh66l5$388it$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28975&group=uk.sport.cricket#28975

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:23:00 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:23 UTC

On 10/23/2023 8:37 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <eb4d0c81-c23c-47b7-baaa-1a61d2fe5aa4n@googlegroups.com>,
> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>> On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 18:53:33 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>>> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes

>>> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
>>> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
>>> of the table.
>>
>> Afghanistan will move ahead of England if they reach 222 in the
>> current innings.
>
> And as I type, they are strong favourites to do even better than that
> and win the match. Though being at the foot of the table might be
> embarrassing for England, if Afghanistan beat Pakistan it will improve
> England's chances of finishing ahead of Pakistan. We would still have to
> overhaul Australia to make the semis, though, as I'll be surprised if
> India, NZ and SA don't all finish in the top four.

England fans should be happy that Afghanistan beat Pakistan because it
will open the door slightly for England to STILL make the semis IF they
win their last 5 games AND get slight help from games NZ vs Aus, SA vs
Pak, Aus vs Pak etc, SA vs NZ etc.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh68a9$38okc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28976&group=uk.sport.cricket#28976

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 09:51:21 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:51 UTC

On 10/23/2023 5:52 AM, David North wrote:
> On Saturday, 21 October 2023 at 18:53:33 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
>>>
>>> Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>>>
>>> SA amassed 399/7
>>>
>>> England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>>>
>> >From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>>> including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>>> Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>>> which is UNLIKELY.
>>>
>>> I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>>>
>>> England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>>>

>>> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>>> 6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
>>>

>> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
>> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
>> of the table.
>
> Afghanistan will move ahead of England if they reach 222 in the current innings.

NOT a single cricket fan on this planet would have thought that
defending champion England would be in LAST PLACE after playing 4 games
in WC2023.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28977&group=uk.sport.cricket#28977

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 06:30:31 +0100
 by: David North - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 05:30 UTC

On 23/10/2023 17:23, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
> On 10/23/2023 8:37 AM, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <eb4d0c81-c23c-47b7-baaa-1a61d2fe5aa4n@googlegroups.com>,
>> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>> Afghanistan will move ahead of England if they reach 222 in the
>>> current innings.
>>
>> And as I type, they are strong favourites to do even better than that
>> and win the match. Though being at the foot of the table might be
>> embarrassing for England, if Afghanistan beat Pakistan it will improve
>> England's chances of finishing ahead of Pakistan. We would still have
>> to overhaul Australia to make the semis, though, as I'll be surprised
>> if India, NZ and SA don't all finish in the top four.
>

> England fans should be happy that Afghanistan beat Pakistan because it
> will open the door slightly for England to STILL make the semis IF they
> win their last 5 games AND get slight help from games NZ vs Aus, SA vs
> Pak, Aus vs Pak etc, SA vs NZ etc.

.... and at least it means that England aren't the only team to lose to
Afghanistan.

--
David North

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<L6DLCCB$hTOlFwMi@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28987&group=uk.sport.cricket#28987

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:47:11 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:47 UTC

In message <kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 23/10/2023 17:23, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>> On 10/23/2023 8:37 AM, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <eb4d0c81-c23c-47b7-baaa-1a61d2fe5aa4n@googlegroups.com>,
>>>David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>> And as I type, they are strong favourites to do even better than
>>>that and win the match. Though being at the foot of the table might
>>>be embarrassing for England, if Afghanistan beat Pakistan it will
>>>improve England's chances of finishing ahead of Pakistan. We would
>>>still have to overhaul Australia to make the semis, though, as I'll
>>>be surprised if India, NZ and SA don't all finish in the top four.
>> England fans should be happy that Afghanistan beat Pakistan
>>because it will open the door slightly for England to STILL make the
>>semis IF they win their last 5 games AND get slight help from games
>>NZ vs Aus, SA vs Pak, Aus vs Pak etc, SA vs NZ etc.
>
>... and at least it means that England aren't the only team to lose to
>Afghanistan.

Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all the
way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a game,
thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy defeats. If
they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and if it's by a
large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However Pakistan's NRR is so
superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uhbn22$udto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28988&group=uk.sport.cricket#28988

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 11:33:38 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 18:33 UTC

On 10/25/2023 8:47 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>>    England fans should be happy that Afghanistan beat Pakistan
>>> because it will open the door slightly for England to STILL make the
>>> semis IF they  win their last 5 games AND get slight help from games
>>> NZ vs Aus, SA vs  Pak, Aus vs Pak etc, SA vs NZ etc.
>>
>> ... and at least it means that England aren't the only team to lose to
>> Afghanistan.
>>

> Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all the
> way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a game,
> thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy defeats. If
> they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and if it's by a
> large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However Pakistan's NRR is so
> superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.

England can still improve their NRR big by beating Netherlands and Sri
Lanka handily.

I don't mind India losing to England and/or SA before reaching the semis
to get rid of law of averages.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<MfxaruC1dWOlFwfZ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28989&group=uk.sport.cricket#28989

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 20:07:33 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 19:07 UTC

In message <uhbn22$udto$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>On 10/25/2023 8:47 AM, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
>><nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>> ... and at least it means that England aren't the only team to lose
>>>to Afghanistan.
>>>
>> Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all
>>the way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a
>>game, thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy
>>defeats. If they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and
>>if it's by a large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However
>>Pakistan's NRR is so superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.
>

>England can still improve their NRR big by beating Netherlands and Sri
>Lanka handily.

Yes, hopefully we can beat the Netherlands by a margin approaching
Australia's against them. That, preceded by a big win against SL, might
take our NRRs above Pakistan's. Then there will be the hard task of
beating all of India, Australia and Pakistan, which will hopefully let
us slip ahead of one of the top 4.

>I don't mind India losing to England and/or SA before reaching the
>semis to get rid of law of averages.

I must admit I find it hard to see England beating India in Indian
conditions unless they (India) have a real off-day.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28994&group=uk.sport.cricket#28994

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 05:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
 by: David North - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:45 UTC

On Wednesday, 25 October 2023 at 16:53:45 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kpp33n...@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

> >> England fans should be happy that Afghanistan beat Pakistan
> >>because it will open the door slightly for England to STILL make the
> >>semis IF they win their last 5 games AND get slight help from games
> >>NZ vs Aus, SA vs Pak, Aus vs Pak etc, SA vs NZ etc.
> >
> >... and at least it means that England aren't the only team to lose to
> >Afghanistan.
> >
> Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all the
> way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a game,
> thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy defeats. If
> they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and if it's by a
> large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However Pakistan's NRR is so
> superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.

As it is, they will almost certainly drop back to 9th.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uhduiu$1lh86$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28995&group=uk.sport.cricket#28995

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 07:54:21 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 14:54 UTC

On 10/25/2023 12:07 PM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uhbn22$udto$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>> On 10/25/2023 8:47 AM, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net>, David North
>>> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>>  Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all
>>> the  way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a
>>> game,  thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy
>>> defeats. If  they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th,
>>> and if it's by a  large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However
>>> Pakistan's NRR is so  superior that a further rise to 5th looks
>>> beyond them.
>>

>> England can still improve their NRR big by beating Netherlands and Sri
>> Lanka handily.
>
> Yes, hopefully we can beat the Netherlands by a margin approaching
> Australia's against them. That, preceded by a big win against SL, might
> take our NRRs above Pakistan's. Then there will be the hard task of
> beating all of India, Australia and Pakistan, which will hopefully let
> us slip ahead of one of the top 4.
>

>> I don't mind India losing to England and/or SA before reaching the
>> semis to get rid of law of averages.
>>

> I must admit I find it hard to see England beating India in Indian
> conditions unless they (India) have a real off-day.

I would say it's GAME OVER for England in WC2023. They are NOT making
semis. This England vs Srilanka game is the FINAL DAGGER in their heart.

Cricinfo said England can still make the Semis if the SCRIPT pans out
like they analyzed but I would say it AIN'T happening.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-scenarios-are-defending-champions-england-out-of-the-world-cup-1405527

Are defending champions England out of the World Cup?

And are table-toppers India in the semis yet? The answer to both: not quite!

England have had an abysmal World Cup 2023 so far, losing four out of
five games, the last of these a thrashing at Sri Lanka's hands, but
thanks to the format of the tournament - where each of the 10 teams play
the other nine before the semis - they still have a shot at making the
top four. In fact, if they win their remaining four matches - a tall
order admittedly, given their abject performances so far - and if other
results go their way, they could even finish third with 10 points.

Here is one permutation to illustrate how that could happen:

New Zealand lose their remaining four matches and stay on eight.
India win three of their four games, losing only to England, while
South Africa beat all teams except India. Then, India (16) and South
Africa (14) will take the top two spots.
Australia beat New Zealand but lose their other matches, while
Afghanistan beat Netherlands and Australia. Then both Australia and
Afghanistan will finish on eight.
Sri Lanka beat New Zealand and Afghanistan, while Pakistan beat
Bangladesh and New Zealand. Then Sri Lanka and Pakistan will finish on
eight too.
England's 10 points will be enough for third place in this
scenario, with five teams on eight fighting for the fourth spot.

Does that mean that Pakistan will remain in contention even if they lose
to South Africa tomorrow?

It does. Pakistan currently have four points from five games, and if
they lose on Friday, they too can only get up to 10 points. In fact, in
the set of scenarios described above, if the result is reversed in the
England vs Pakistan match on November 11 (the last league match for both
teams), then Pakistan will take third spot on 10, while England will be
one of five teams fighting for the fourth place on eight points.

What about India? Will they be guaranteed qualification if they beat
England on Sunday?

A win on Sunday will maintain India's spotless record in the tournament,
and take their points tally to 12 from six matches. However, while the
above example illustrates how eight might be enough for qualification,
it's also possible that 12 might not be sufficient. If India lose their
remaining games and stay on 12, it's possible for five other teams to
join them there. It'll then come down to net run rates.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<pu6NUnCpBrOlFwII@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28997&group=uk.sport.cricket#28997

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:31:05 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:31 UTC

In message <7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>,
David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On Wednesday, 25 October 2023 at 16:53:45 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all the
>> way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a game,
>> thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy defeats. If
>> they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and if it's by a
>> large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However Pakistan's NRR is so
>> superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.
>
>As it is, they will almost certainly drop back to 9th.

They have done. Their match against the Netherlands could well determine
who finishes bottom at the end of the group stage. I don't feel too
confident that England will win it.

I started to get worried about today's match when I learned that Angelo
Mathews would be playing. I've always had a huge amount of respect for
him.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<h$yfQ1BI9qOlFwY5@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=28998&group=uk.sport.cricket#28998

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:26:16 +0100
 by: John Hall - Thu, 26 Oct 2023 18:26 UTC

In message <uhduiu$1lh86$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>I would say it's GAME OVER for England in WC2023. They are NOT making
>semis. This England vs Srilanka game is the FINAL DAGGER in their heart.
>
>Cricinfo said England can still make the Semis if the SCRIPT pans out
>like they analyzed but I would say it AIN'T happening.

It's hard to argue with that. I had arranged - long before I realised
that England would be playing today - to meet an old friend for lunch
and then go to a matinee performance of a play. But for once I'm glad
that I missed watching an England match, as it would have been
profoundly depressing. (I did catch the first hour and a bit before I
needed to leave home and, after a bright start, that was bad enough.) I
had planned to watch the highlights package this evening but, as it will
almost all be low-lights, I shan't bother.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29020&group=uk.sport.cricket#29020

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 16:58:15 +0100
 by: David North - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 15:58 UTC

On 26/10/2023 19:31, John Hall wrote:
> In message <7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>,
> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>> On Wednesday, 25 October 2023 at 16:53:45 UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>>> Over the last couple of days England have had a dizzying rise, all the
>>> way up to 8th from 10th and bottom. :) And without playing a game,
>>> thanks to the Netherlands and Bangladesh suffering heavy defeats. If
>>> they beat SL tomorrow they will rise to at least 7th, and if it's by a
>>> large margin then possibly sixth on NRR. However Pakistan's NRR is so
>>> superior that a further rise to 5th looks beyond them.
>>
>> As it is, they will almost certainly drop back to 9th.
>
> They have done.

.... and now back to the bottom, thanks to Netherlands' win over Bangladesh.

> Their match against the Netherlands could well determine
> who finishes bottom at the end of the group stage.

Yes, but now it might decide whether that is England or Bangladesh.

--
David North

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<SlN2XxAONUPlFw2y@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29021&group=uk.sport.cricket#29021

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 18:22:22 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 17:22 UTC

In message <kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>, David North
<nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>On 26/10/2023 19:31, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>,
>>David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>>>
>>> As it is, they will almost certainly drop back to 9th.
>> They have done.
>
>... and now back to the bottom, thanks to Netherlands' win over Bangladesh.

And the chances of their improving their position tomorrow look remote.
(BTW a "heads up" to readers in the UK: with the clocks going back an
our tonight, don't forget that the match will start at 8:30 our time.)

>> Their match against the Netherlands could well determine who
>>finishes bottom at the end of the group stage.
>
>Yes, but now it might decide whether that is England or Bangladesh.

It could well do. Another terrific win for the Netherlands. I have this
fantasy that they could be playing Test cricket 5 or 10 years down the
line. Sadly, I suspect that it's unlikely to become a reality, as I
doubt that they have the necessary infrastructure, income or level of
support. Even Ireland, who I imagine are rather better placed than the
Dutch, have found maintaining a Test presence tough.

A great day today, with the Dutch win and another close finish earlier
in the day. They seem to be like London buses in this WC - none for ages
and then two at once. A great effort by NZ to get so close to
Australia's huge score.