God is Dead. -- Nietzsche Nietzsche is Dead. -- God Nietzsche is God. -- Dead

aus+uk / uk.sport.cricket / Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

SubjectAuthor
* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
+* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023max.it
|`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
| `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
|  +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
|  +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023Andy Walker
|  |`- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
|  +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023max.it
|  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
 +- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |  `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |   |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |   |  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |   `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |    `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |     `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  |      `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
  |       |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       | +* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023drye...@gmail.com
  |       | |`* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       | | `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023drye...@gmail.com
  |       | `* Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023mike
  |       |  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023John Hall
  |       `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023David North
  `- Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer

Pages:12
Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<4af922bc-121d-4b54-8948-8a704c5a7f3f@america.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29024&group=uk.sport.cricket#29024

From: FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2023 22:48:36 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 05:48 UTC

On 10/28/2023 10:22 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>> On 26/10/2023 19:31, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>,
>>> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>>  They have done.
>>
>> ... and now back to the bottom, thanks to Netherlands' win over
>> Bangladesh.
>
> And the chances of their improving their position tomorrow look remote.
> (BTW a "heads up" to readers in the UK: with the clocks going back an
> our tonight, don't forget that the match will start at 8:30 our time.)

I didn't know that England also has this daylight savings time
adjustment like USA.

But England is a very small country compared to USA.

So, WHY does it have this time adjustment?

>>> Their match against the Netherlands could well determine  who
>>> finishes bottom at the end of the group stage.
>>
>> Yes, but now it might decide whether that is England or Bangladesh.
>>
> It could well do. Another terrific win for the Netherlands. I have this
> fantasy that they could be playing Test cricket 5 or 10 years down the
> line. Sadly, I suspect that it's unlikely to become a reality, as I
> doubt that they have the necessary infrastructure, income or level of
> support. Even Ireland, who I imagine are rather better placed than the
> Dutch, have found maintaining a Test presence tough.

Test cricket is slowly dying. So there is NO point for Dutch to even
think about test cricket. Moreover they don't have too much of a talent
pool anyway.

So, they better stick to ODIs and T20s where the money and entertainment
are, which will entice more dutch people to embrace cricket.

> A great day today, with the Dutch win and another close finish earlier
> in the day. They seem to be like London buses in this WC - none for ages
> and then two at once. A great effort by NZ to get so close to
> Australia's huge score.

Yeah what a great game.

95% of the fans in the stadium were ROOTING for New Zealand to WIN last
night.

I think Rachin Ravindra will become of one of the all time greats from
New Zealand in the future.

He has patience, technique, talent, temperament like Kane Williamson and
lightly more aggressive than Kane.

His bowling which he will improve is a bonus.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<QgmmmbAhFhPlFwnU@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29025&group=uk.sport.cricket#29025

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:01:37 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 08:01 UTC

In message <4af922bc-121d-4b54-8948-8a704c5a7f3f@america.com>,
FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com>
writes
>I didn't know that England also has this daylight savings time
>adjustment like USA.

I think most countries where there is a significant difference in the
length of daylight between summer and winter have it.

>But England is a very small country compared to USA.
>
>So, WHY does it have this time adjustment?

I think the idea is to give people more hours of daylight after work in
the summer, to give them more time after work to pursue outdoor leisure
pursuits. There's no point in uit getting light at 4am in summer if
nobody is up to enjoy it.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<e999e7f0-be2c-4aaa-be63-d4280b94f176n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29028&group=uk.sport.cricket#29028

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: dryes1617@gmail.com (drye...@gmail.com)
 by: drye...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 13:43 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 4:03:30 AM UTC-4, John Hall wrote:
> In message <4af922bc-121d-4b54...@america.com>,
> FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com>
> writes
> >I didn't know that England also has this daylight savings time
> >adjustment like USA.
> I think most countries where there is a significant difference in the
> length of daylight between summer and winter have it.
> >
> >But England is a very small country compared to USA.
> >
> >So, WHY does it have this time adjustment?
> I think the idea is to give people more hours of daylight after work in
> the summer, to give them more time after work to pursue outdoor leisure
> pursuits. There's no point in uit getting light at 4am in summer if
> nobody is up to enjoy it.
> --
> John Hall
> "Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
> from coughing."
> Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

In the US it was to help the farmers have a longer work day in the fields!

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<b48deae3-61b5-45fd-8787-b5cef5a5171bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29031&group=uk.sport.cricket#29031

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 09:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike204@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:06 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 8:03:30 AM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <4af922bc-121d-4b54...@america.com>,
> FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com>
> writes
> >I didn't know that England also has this daylight savings time
> >adjustment like USA.
> I think most countries where there is a significant difference in the
> length of daylight between summer and winter have it.
> >
> >But England is a very small country compared to USA.
> >
> >So, WHY does it have this time adjustment?
> I think the idea is to give people more hours of daylight after work in
> the summer, to give them more time after work to pursue outdoor leisure
> pursuits. There's no point in uit getting light at 4am in summer if
> nobody is up to enjoy it.
> --

i think it was introduced during WW1 to reduce fuel and increase productivity,
after the germans had already adopted it. i remember going to school in
the dark when the govt decided to keep the clocks the same all year as
an experiment. it was very unpopular and abandoned after a few years.

also the cricket: until the 5th over i was foolish to think england might
cause an upset, but the pitch favoured the bowlers so it was always
gonna be tricky. if england had batted the full 50 overs it would have
bee a very late finish. In their last 4 matches england have only got
to the 40th over once!

mike

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<rwM9gaAwpoPlFwwV@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29033&group=uk.sport.cricket#29033

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:38:08 +0000
<scQlcsAXNpNlFwyY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <uh66l5$388it$1@dont-email.me>
<kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net> <L6DLCCB$hTOlFwMi@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>
<pu6NUnCpBrOlFwII@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>
<SlN2XxAONUPlFw2y@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<4af922bc-121d-4b54-8948-8a704c5a7f3f@america.com>
<QgmmmbAhFhPlFwnU@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<e999e7f0-be2c-4aaa-be63-d4280b94f176n@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:38 UTC

In message <e999e7f0-be2c-4aaa-be63-d4280b94f176n@googlegroups.com>,
"drye...@gmail.com" <dryes1617@gmail.com> writes
>On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 4:03:300 >> In message <4af922bc-121d-4b54...@america.com>,
>> FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com>
>> writes
>> >I didn't know that England also has this daylight savings time
>> >adjustment like USA.
>> I think most countries where there is a significant difference in the
>> length of daylight between summer and winter have it.
>> >
>> >But England is a very small country compared to USA.
>> >
>> >So, WHY does it have this time adjustment?
>> I think the idea is to give people more hours of daylight after work in
>> the summer, to give them more time after work to pursue outdoor leisure
>> pursuits. There's no point in uit getting light at 4am in summer if
>> nobody is up to enjoy it.
>
>In the US it was to help the farmers have a longer work day in the fields!

I wonder how much the US government and legislature actually knew about
farming. I thought that traditionally farmers used to work pretty much
all the hours of daylight in the summer anyway, so that what time the
clock said it was wouldn't matter to them.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<4Qw5oJBCuoPlFwRq@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29034&group=uk.sport.cricket#29034

From: john_nospam@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:42:42 +0000
<scQlcsAXNpNlFwyY@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <uh66l5$388it$1@dont-email.me>
<kpp33nFnjicU1@mid.individual.net> <L6DLCCB$hTOlFwMi@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>
<pu6NUnCpBrOlFwII@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>
<SlN2XxAONUPlFw2y@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<4af922bc-121d-4b54-8948-8a704c5a7f3f@america.com>
<QgmmmbAhFhPlFwnU@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>
<b48deae3-61b5-45fd-8787-b5cef5a5171bn@googlegroups.com>
 by: John Hall - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:42 UTC

In message <b48deae3-61b5-45fd-8787-b5cef5a5171bn@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>also the cricket: until the 5th over i was foolish to think england
>might cause an upset, but the pitch favoured the bowlers so it was
>always gonna be tricky. if england had batted the full 50 overs it
>would have bee a very late finish. In their last 4 matches england have
>only got to the 40th over once!

At least England bowled pretty well, with Woakes back to his normal
self. But the batting was shambolic again, even allowing for the
excellence of India's bowling. Realistically, they were never going to
win from 39-4. Willey probably played the best innings!
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<47c59d73-dba4-4f8f-a62c-6283cb899cf7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29035&group=uk.sport.cricket#29035

Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: dryes1617@gmail.com (drye...@gmail.com)
 by: drye...@gmail.com - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 17:06 UTC

On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 12:39:34 PM UTC-4, John Hall wrote:
> In message <e999e7f0-be2c-4aaa...@googlegroups.com>,
> "drye...@gmail.com" <drye...@gmail.com> writes
> >On Sunday, October 29, 2023 at 4:03:300 >> In message <4af922bc-121d-4b54...@america.com>,
> >> FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com>
> >> writes
> >> I think most countries where there is a significant difference in the
> >> length of daylight between summer and winter have it.

> >> I think the idea is to give people more hours of daylight after work in
> >> the summer, to give them more time after work to pursue outdoor leisure
> >> pursuits. There's no point in uit getting light at 4am in summer if
> >> nobody is up to enjoy it.
> >
> >In the US it was to help the farmers have a longer work day in the fields!
> >
> I wonder how much the US government and legislature actually knew about
> farming. I thought that traditionally farmers used to work pretty much
> all the hours of daylight in the summer anyway, so that what time the
> clock said it was wouldn't matter to them.
> --
> John Hall
> "Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
> from coughing."
> Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Daylight Saving Time (DST) is used to save energy and make better use of daylight. It was first used in 1908 in Thunder Bay, Canada.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<kq95clFioj0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29044&group=uk.sport.cricket#29044

From: nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 07:47:34 +0000
 by: David North - Mon, 30 Oct 2023 07:47 UTC

On 28/10/2023 18:22, John Hall wrote:
> In message <kq4pcnFhrj7U1@mid.individual.net>, David North
> <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes
>> On 26/10/2023 19:31, John Hall wrote:
>>> In message <7b9baf7a-18f5-4ea4-ab47-20a723483196n@googlegroups.com>,
>>> David North <nospam@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk> writes

>>>  They have done.
>>
>> ... and now back to the bottom, thanks to Netherlands' win over
>> Bangladesh.
>
> And the chances of their improving their position tomorrow look remote.
> (BTW a "heads up" to readers in the UK: with the clocks going back an
> our tonight, don't forget that the match will start at 8:30 our time.)
>

>>> Their match against the Netherlands could well determine  who
>>> finishes bottom at the end of the group stage.
>>
>> Yes, but now it might decide whether that is England or Bangladesh.
>>
> It could well do. Another terrific win for the Netherlands. I have this
> fantasy that they could be playing Test cricket 5 or 10 years down the
> line. Sadly, I suspect that it's unlikely to become a reality, as I
> doubt that they have the necessary infrastructure, income or level of
> support. Even Ireland, who I imagine are rather better placed than the
> Dutch, have found maintaining a Test presence tough.

The decision not to include all Test teams in the WTC has made it even
more difficult for Ireland (and Afghanistan and Zimbabwe) to arrange
Tests than it already was.

--
David North